• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenneZag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2012

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Feels like he’s auditioning for the NBA scouts half the time, with his shot selection and the unneeded difficulty with many of them. He’s a team player, no Petro, but he does go solo outside the system once in a while.
    I agree. Trying to create and force things too often, not playing within the flow. I think we see a better Strawther soon.

Very happy with Watty. Shown some consistency the last several games. Hes not forcing and playing the game he needs to. We need him moving forward.
    America's Team!

Comment

• GoZags
      Super Moderator
      • Feb 2007

One of the highlights for me last night was seeing Kaden Perry take the floor. I was VERY worried about his health ... spoke with him briefly after the 'Bama game. Slow and steady wins the race ... and a healthy Kaden Perry helps the Zags. Now let's get Dom back ....
      sigpic
      “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
      ——-
      List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
      Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• FloridaZagFan
        Bleeds GU Blue
        • May 2019

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
        Strawther is playing like a good sophomore that didn’t play much his freshman year. Typical of trying to do too much, be the guy… he’ll get it settled down. Perry is on the same train it seems. Few will get that out of them. I’m really enjoying Silas with his combination of intensity and smoothness. Joel-Esque in many ways with the sneaky cuts under the basket and I seem to remember Joel not shooting well his first year or two either. The defensive disruption he brings is fantastic.

I’m pretty confident saying that Timme has been scouted. Every team in the country knows now that if you double team him, it shuts him down pretty well. Up side is his kick outs to increasingly capable shooters is good. If he’s one on one or in transition, his creativity will get the ball in the hoop or draw a foul where his free throw shooting is looking good. I maintain he is a great college player but will not be a contributor in the nba.

Watson playing like he is lately is just awesome. Happy for him personally and when he’s playing good, it puts the team on another level
        Call me crazy but I think Drew can make it in the NBA.

The NBA has legit stars including all-stars that are slow, can't jump, short arms, defensive liability, unathletic and so on. Timme's skill set is crazy. He is double and triple teamed in the paint. When he has the ball teams collapse on him, including Duke and Baylor. The NBA is so spread out that doesn't happen.

Re member the USC game last year? They didn't double Timme and he smoked Mobley, who is super long.

He's not an athletic freak but he's a freak. If he can develop a shot in Spokane over the next two years he can find playing time in the NBA. I've changed my tune a little. I wasn't really sure a couple of months ago but when every team we play has to collapse in the paint and take their chances with 3 point shooting thats next level type of stuff..... still has to be able to shoot. Can't shoot can't play in the NBA unless you are an athletic freak.

Comment

• RenoZag
          Super Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
          One of the highlights for me last night was seeing Kaden Perry take the floor. I was VERY worried about his health ... spoke with him briefly after the 'Bama game. Slow and steady wins the race ... and a healthy Kaden Perry helps the Zags. Now let's get Dom back ....
          Perry was so eager to get on the court, he jumped right out of his shoes !
          The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• Mantua
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2007

I hope there’s a ton of bench play time during conference games. I’d like to see Ben and Perry readied for March. We need the big and strong guys for an NCAA run, including Watson.
            Bonjour tristesse.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by HenneZag View Post
              I agree. Trying to create and force things too often, not playing within the flow. I think we see a better Strawther soon.

Very happy with Watty. Shown some consistency the last several games. Hes not forcing and playing the game he needs to. We need him moving forward.
              Disagree with you and jazz re: Strawther. He has been asked to play the role for this team of scorer, tough defender and weapon on the offensive boards...among other things. Hard to have a scorer's mentality and play aggressive without occasionally overdoing it and forcing a few bad shots or settling for a shot too early in the clock. How do you play super confident and not pull the trigger on every open shot you see, that's my question! Dude needs some time to adapt as he only got glimpses of minutes last season. I am a huge Julian Strawther fan and believer and look forward to his shine all season long.

I like how the roles are developing along with the players' contributions and think, assuming Zags can play the majority of their scheduled games, how this team looks in March will obviously be far different than today. Key is guys playing confident, loose, tough and smart....as is always the case. Holmgren imposing his will a bit more also bodes well! Is it just me or could part of that be him being smart enough to realize "I may only have a handful of college games that even get played at this point so better show everyone what's up while I can!"

Dang I hope we have a college hoops season and tourney. Fairly strong likelihood many teams will end up with truncated schedules this year due to Omicron; sure will be interesting to see how the committee would seed the tourney based on a bunch of incomplete resumes. Zags is solid but not a lock for a #1 by any means...really want both them and AZ as #1's on opposite side so any chance to play would be a Monday night in April in New Orleans.....gosh that image seems a long long way off; I hope we make it there.
              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• Zag365
                Zag for Life
                • Apr 2007

Classic Zag player development system

Originally posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
                What a great game!

Watson playing in front of all his high school buddies like the alpha baller he can be was my favorite takeaway from this game. The 8 man rotation of guys who played between 19-26 minutes each was fantastic. Those eight plus Gregg and Perry, both very capable of solid minutes, is a nice lineup.

I think this team’s best ball comes out when they play aggressively on D. More time w that 3/4 court press please. Watson is an amazing disruptir at the top of that press.
                Completely agree with all of these observations. On the post-game TV broadcast, one of the threesome (I think it was Fox) mentioned how Watson is the quintessential Zag system player - meaning he comes in skilled, but not a one-and-done. Works to perfect individual and team skills for first two years. Comes off the bench for stretches. Then becomes a regular in the rotation during jr./sr. year. Guys like that are essential anchors, enabling GU to be highly competitive year after year. Fortunately, we have others in that 3 yr./4 yr. base group currently: Perry, Gregg, Hickman. Provides stability and helps integrate transfers/one-and-done's into the system rather than freelance. I wouldn't be surprised to see Timme and Sallis play at least 3 years.

Comment

• hooter73
                  Zag for Life
                  • Jun 2008

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
                  I really wonder what we'll see if Dom decides to play this year vs taking a medical redshirt. If he gets time, he'd have to be on another level to keep getting time, even in WCC. I feel that he was behind strawther last year in what he was showing on the court (could be wrong, just a distant memory takeaway) and as we're talking here, Strawther is maybe overdoing it a little. I would expect a highly touted, highly talented young man to come in and try and force things. Once in a while that works out, but more often than not you dont see the heady play GU embodies down the stretch. Or maybe he'll take a few minutes here and there and get into the feel and rhythm, playing within himself and the system. if they buy in, that type of thing can happen when youve been around the program and paying attention for a while.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by hooter73 View Post
                    I really wonder what we'll see if Dom decides to play this year vs taking a medical redshirt. If he gets time, he'd have to be on another level to keep getting time, even in WCC. I feel that he was behind strawther last year in what he was showing on the court (could be wrong, just a distant memory takeaway) and as we're talking here, Strawther is maybe overdoing it a little. I would expect a highly touted, highly talented young man to come in and try and force things. Once in a while that works out, but more often than not you dont see the heady play GU embodies down the stretch. Or maybe he'll take a few minutes here and there and get into the feel and rhythm, playing within himself and the system. if they buy in, that type of thing can happen when youve been around the program and paying attention for a while.
                    Suggsy was that rare player who managed to integrate and stand out at same time. A multi-generational talent for GU.

Comment

• daskim
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2020

Strawther looks like he pulling the string and not holding his follow through. Not getting the same rotation on the ball like he did when he was shooting more consistently.

Comment

• hooter73
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jun 2008

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                        Suggsy was that rare player who managed to integrate and stand out at same time. A multi-generational talent for GU.
                        He was and I don’t think anyone had any delusions that Harris is another Suggs. It’s pretty rare that we see someone come in, earn minutes and contribute to a top team, mid-season

Comment

• zagzilla
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

My favorite thing about the game was watching Sallis and Hickman get their longest run of the season with 26 and 22 minutes respectively. Nembhard played just 22 minutes and Bolton 19. Starters got some rest and the backups looked good and the extended time will further their growth for the future.

ZZ

Comment

• GrizZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2009

That baseline move by Sallis was not the first time we've seen how quick he can be. He is going to be an exciting player once he gets some run time and grows. "The Cat" Also love the intensity we see from him on defense.
                            One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by GrizZAG View Post
                              That baseline move by Sallis was not the first time we've seen how quick he can be. He is going to be an exciting player once he gets some run time and grows. "The Cat" Also love the intensity we see from him on defense.
                              Sallis' nickname needs to be Predator.....he just has that Predator vibe; once he fills out a bit more and the game slows down, I can see him dominating on both ends...especially if he starts stroking it from deep. All about confidence and experience.
                              Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• DADoZAG
                                Zag for Life
                                • Feb 2009

So much to reply too, been so long since I did but I actually have a day off....

Strawther is doing what he's told, or he wouldn't be on the floor. So many yet to get their mojo, Watty, Hick, Sallis, Straw, Perry, but it will all come with minutes over the next two months.

No reason for Harris to Redshirt as long as he's ready in January, he's gone after a full healthy year on the floor so he might as well play and can shoot the 3 to well to sit. Hickman is the best point guard on the team, and next year he'll prove it. Neb is great, don't get me wrong, but the team/ball moves better with Hick at the point, IMO.

The pro game isn't what it was when Walton played, or Timme would be an NBA star. He'll make a lot of money but might want to start studying foreign languages. That could change if he starts shooting threes, but he seems to avoid the disappointment needed to get confident at it.

Play your bench coach, especially the bigs, cause the paint will be real crowded the rest of the year and the starters will be in foul trouble every game.

Prayers for all suffering from Covid. Follow science, not Facebook.
                                Go ZAGS!

Only watching the ball, misses at least 80% of the game.

Comment

Working...
                                X