Default Seth Davis rankings

Seth Davis this AM
    Purdue
    Villanova
    Duke
    Alabama (up from #22)
    Gonzaga
    UCLA

Obviously, for Seth, beating GU is a stairway to the stars.

Dickie V has the Zags at #4.

I'm surprised we weren't knocked out of the Top 10 after our last 3 games.

The first NCAA NET rankings were released this morning. NET numbers really don't mean much until mid-February. FWIW, GU comes in at #8.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

The WCC:

8 Gonzaga
    24 BYU
    32 San Francisco
    55 Saint Mary’s
    71 Santa Clara
    213 San Diego
    227 Portland
    228 LMU
    254 Pacific
    293 Pepperdine

FWIW: There's a link to the NCAA Net Ranking home page in the GUB Resource Library found in the "General Basketball" Forum

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

As you say, NET doesn’t really mean much until early Feb or so. However, at present, 6 WCC teams represent Quad 1 win/loss opportunities. That is based on a road win at an opponent ranked 75 NET or better counting as Quad 1. That’s much stronger than I can recall. Worth keeping an eye on.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    As you say, NET doesn’t really mean much until early Feb or so. However, at present, 6 WCC teams represent Quad 1 win/loss opportunities. That is based on a road with at 75 NET or better counting as Quad 1. That’s much stronger than I can recall. Worth keeping an eye on.

ZZ
    And great opportunity, needed this season as much as any in recent memory for this team to grow, and obviously they need to grow

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Dickie V has the Zags at #4.

I'm surprised we weren't knocked out of the Top 10 after our last 3 games.
    After Saturday's game I turned to my wife and said "Whelp, Zags are gonna have a double digit ranking on Monday." Maybe not.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

CBS on Sunday had them at #6.
    I guess it's not just the team, but who is behind them that is better.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

All the way down to 5 on ESPN’s power rankings.

Still #1 on KenPom (albeit by a VERY narrow margin).

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

RK
    TEAM
    REC PTS TREND
    1 Purdue(61) 8-0 1525
    2 Baylor 8-0 1421
    Duke
    7-1 1390
    UCLA
    8-1 1293
    Gonzaga
    7-2 1240
    6 Villanova 6-2 1175
    -
    Texas
    6-1 1101
    -
    8 Kansas 6-1 1068
    -
    Alabama
    7-1 1029
    10 Kentucky 6-1 972
    11 Arizona 7-0 919
    -

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

How is UCLA ranked higher than us? We smashed them less than 2 weeks ago. I guess the voters were impressed with that forfeit win over Washington.

ZZ

Surprised the Zags are still 5, but they do have 2 top tier wins, and their two losses are to top teams as well.

Better resume than Villanova. Makes sense as long as you ignore the trend line.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Surprised the Zags are still 5, but they do have 2 top tier wins, and their two losses are to top teams as well.

Better resume than Villanova. Makes sense as long as you ignore the trend line.
    Other than diehards, doubt that most saw all our games. Certainly not Tarleton, Duke was a very late East start and Alabama was crowded out by college football championship Saturday. So just reflexive voting. Nothing more or less.

I thought we would drop a few spots comparable to Villanova with two losses. With that said, our ranking doesnt mean a whole lot if we can’t beat a physical team.

How is UCLA ranked higher than us? We smashed them less than 2 weeks ago. I guess the voters were impressed with that forfeit win over Washington.

ZZ
    They kicked COVID’s arse!!!

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    They kicked COVID’s arse!!!
    poll rankings are a snapshot in time...you lose you drop...head to head results aren't a huge factor and to be honest, probably shouldn't be

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    After Saturday's game I turned to my wife and said "Whelp, Zags are gonna have a double digit ranking on Monday." Maybe not.
    5 in AP and Coaches

ZZ
    For the same reason that Gonzaga could be ranked higher than Alabama....

If you would have told me at the beginning of the season that the Zags would be ranked #5 after a 7-2 record, I would gladly take it. As most of you probably would. Have we as Zags fans become jaded after our lofty records the past few years? I think yes.

As you say, NET doesn’t really mean much until early Feb or so. However, at present, 6 WCC teams represent Quad 1 win/loss opportunities. That is based on a road win at an opponent ranked 75 NET or better counting as Quad 1. That’s much stronger than I can recall. Worth keeping an eye on.

ZZ
    I would guess there will only be four teams in the WCC who will represent Quad 1 wins by the time the regular season ends. As it is, there are only 5 WCC teams in the Quad I category now

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

The Zags will be heavily favored the rest of the regular season and the voters know it. If I were voting, I wouldn't drop us from the top 10, knowing that we'll back in in a few weeks

I’m not sure what 5 other teams people think should be ahead of us to move us out of the top 10. I mean Villanova has 2 losses also but doesn’t have the wins GU has. Kansas lost to Dayton, Alabama lost to Iona, Texas we beat. 2-2 against other teams in the top 10 isn’t that bad compared to other resumes. I’m actually a little surprised we fell behind UCLA after that beat down. I’m not saying it’s likely, but would anybody be that shocked if GU entered the NCAA tourney at 30-2 ranked #1. BYU has lost their 2 centers and neither USF or SMC are all that scary. Duke was a 3 point game that we had many opportunities to win and Alabama had an amazing first half but we were down 4 late in the game and had multiple opportunities to complete the comeback. Those are 2 of the very best teams in the country. This team has a few things to work on but this isn’t 2016. This team will enter the tournament a 1 or 2 seed an will have as good a chance as anybody to cut down the nets.

I believe this is the year we lose one, maybe 2 conference games. And I think this is the year where that will not be that embarrassing, nor will it hurt that much. As said, more likely just one loss, but maybe 2.

If you offered one loss right now I'd take it in a minute.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

2 losses to top ten ranked teams
    2 wins against top ten ranked teams

Not many other teams can say they are 2-2 agains top ten ranked teams this early in season
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few