Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm not going to panic. The season is Young

Default I'm not going to panic. The season is Young

I always like to watch the game the day after the game, and it ALWAYS looks better than the actual game. especially when we lose. It was a good game in many ways after the half. The first half was pretty bad, and there's no excuse for that, and that trend will not continue. One thing I have to say is that Bama deserved the win, and they wanted it more IMO. The team will have to face up to the truth that they HAVE NOT BEEN HUNGRY and have not PLAYED HUNGRY. And they are, for the most part now the HUNTED and not the HUNTER. They are a top 10 team in the country, and teams will be going after them with everything they have. One thing I note is that Bama is a real good team, has star players and have a great coach. Their guards outplayed ours by a ton last night.

Bama has a freshman guard that scored 20 points and imo hes the one who beat us last night. Gonzaga finally decided to guard Shackelford in the second half and the freshman Davison took over the game. He ended with 20 and hit the 3 pointer that broke Gonzaga's back. One thing we must realize right now is that our star freshman is not the player I thought he was. Because Suggs was the #5 or 6th best player coming out of high school, I thought the #1 player would be better than Suggs. So far he is not. He is not the offensive big time player that I thought he would be. He is Suggs' equal on defense. He's outstanding and that's where he really helps the Zags and we need him a lot. He's a dang good shot blocker and rebounder. And I am not going to panic about him and his development because I know, and you do too, that he will get better on offense. I imagine that because of his heighth he totally dominated in High School and he is now learning how tough it is in Div 1 basketball, and especially at the top level.

The other thing that sticks in my head is what I heard in an interview with Coach Few at the beginning of the year, where he said, in kind of a warning tone, that the team is young. And he also admitted that he is not used to having this much inexperience on his team. AND THAT IS A FACT. Not only is Holmgren in his first year, but so is Strawther (as a starter and full-time contributer) and Bolton. I think we forget about that. Nembhard is back as a starter but honestly, most of the time he is NOT going to be a scorer, but does manage the offense really well.

A couple of real positive things i see about the game last night is first, that our bench is good, and they really played well last night. There is a lot of debate going on here on this forum about whether Hickman should be a starter. I'm ok with him coming off the bench because we need his kind of fire comng off the bench. Watson also played his best game last night, and that's a big plus. He hit a big 3 and I felt that that was a good sign of confidence for him. Even though he returns from last years team, we must agree that he is still trying to find himself and his role on the team. He is going to be one to watch as the season progresses because I think he's going to keep getting better. He also had an offensive rebound that he scored on that was also a big hoop after he turned the ball over on a very poor pass that led to a bucket by Bama.

Here is why Im positve still. the team is young. Holmgren will get better on offense and make the needed adjustments to D-1 play. Bolton and Watson and Strawther will get better too. And finally, maybe Harris will return. If he does he will help. In that interview with Few that I mentioned earlier, Few talked about the loss of Harris and how that had hurt the team. I agree. So I'm surely hoping he returns and is able to play.

I'm glad I watched the game over today. I feel much better.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Agreed watching the game in real time its almost impossible to 'see straight' because of the emotional connection.
    Not holding my breath for Dom to come back... That injury was unfortunate but it is what it is.
    I agree lots of young and inexperienced parts on this team. Yes the Gonzaga engine is the same but we have had to change the parts and its not firing quite right. Chet is the super charger that hasn't quite preformed as advertised and we are freaking out. The coaching staff is still in the tuning stage and its hard to swallow. Not only are the players inexperienced but the staff is inexperienced at coaching players without it! This team will get better. Only through adversity do you find out how things really work. I'm not panicking.

Free Throws...believe that cost us at least 8 points...missing so many 1&1's!!!

We cut the lead to four twice and the second time we did so, GU stopped UA four times but we our selves couldn't score turning the ball over...I would have loved Coach Few to have called a time-out and organized a play or two after our second attempt to cut the lead to two...

Their 3pt shooting in the first half was just an incredible display of shooting...reminded me of Pat Westhead's LMU teams...

Out defence was suspect that is for sure but we did play a much improved second half...

Davidson's 3 did nail the coffin shut as he had the game of his young career...such a shame we couldn't play with the same intensity for both halves...

I think Chet will eventually hit his 3's and that Timme will do a much better job of passing out to the open man when double/tripled teamed...

Did think we would have two losses after playing 4-20 teams but thought they would have been against UT and UCLA...Seasons is still young...

Thought Watson and Hickman played well too...

Go Zags Beat Merrimack!!!

Those of us who like to focus on the journey, and not the destination, need to settle in and enjoy how the team develops this year.

Isn't this Finals Week at GU? Let's get through this, then the fellas have a month of mostly basketball.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Those of us who like to focus on the journey, and not the destination, need to settle in and enjoy how the team develops this year.

Isn't this Finals Week at GU? Let's get through this, then the fellas have a month of mostly basketball.
    You gonna finally pass that organic chemistry course, Tex. Been taking it for years.

We are less than 2 weeks from thoroughly dominating UCLA and winning by 20 and that Duke game was a really good game where we were hurt by foul trouble. I am not discouraged from the Duke game honestly.

Easy to dismiss the Tarleton game as a letdown spot between two big games but it was pretty glaring to me how much we struggle to score against a defense that just packs it in, disrupts our cuts, and makes it tough to play thru the post. We were 4-19 from 3 in that one on a lot of open looks and a bunch of misses that weren’t close. Strawther and Nembhard 0-4 each, Bolton 1-5.

I am expecting the coaching staff to get our turnovers cleaned up. Too many dumb turnovers from experienced players—I imagine that will improve. Our system is very good and will produce high percentage 2 point shots. We don’t have to be incredible from 3 to be a great offensive team. Can we be decent enough? I’m not sure.

Obviously, the defense has to get a lot better or the offense won’t matter very much. I haven’t seen the 5 man data but I expect we need more minutes with our best defensive lineups on the court. We have the ability to really clamp down on that end but it’s tougher when teams put Bolton and Timme on islands and in PNR.

Consider a 3 guard lineup

Hickman does a better job than Strawther locking up his man on perimeter, and could potentially be a better 3pt threat as well.

Strawther is a great guy for rebounds and energetic scoring threat, yet hard pressed to say our offense -- as a team-- runs better with Hickman sitting.

Anton Watson doesn't have the softest touch or a big scoring threat yet in BOTH games vs Duke and Bama, we only made a run with him on the floor.

We even took the lead vs Duke, and the very moment Timme subbed for him, we lost the lead, defense laxed, & momentum changed. If we would have left him in at end of Duke, we win. Everything was going in our favor at that point...and Timme was a TO machine.

Same thing vs Bama. When he was in, their lead shrinked, when he was out, they pulled away.

Not a coincidence.

He is a better defender than Timme or Chet (save the rim protection), and actually runs offense and can create when given the chance. He's not going to get you the bucket yet he will get the steal, the pass, the deflection, etc.

Consider having him play more mins with Chet or Timme around him, and allow him to work the middle for more hi low and finding cutters.

Like with Hickman, our TEAM operates better with him on the floor, yet playing less than 20 mins. He isn't flashy but in crunch time or critical meets of the game, I'd rather see him than others. This season has shown that thus far...

I'd even consider starting him as our defensive starts vs Bama and Duke have been awful. And Watson gets back in transition too, unlike others.

Chet only playing 25 mins a game lately, so why not bring him off bench? As a change of pace and scoring option. Block some shots, get going and read the defensive gameplan. He's been woeful lately, again, outside getting some blocks here and there.

From evanmiya.com:

This suggests that our 3 best lineups include Bolton + Watson, and Timme OR Holmgren but not both.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    From evanmiya.com:

This suggests that our 3 best lineups include Bolton + Watson, and Timme OR Holmgren but not both.
    It's a bad defensive unit. And getting blasted at beginning of games.

Yes, open 3's are happening as well yet its often due to poor position and transition defense by our bigs.

If not for Chets length and altering/blocking shots, he's a defensive liability. Rotation, help, transition, all needs to be quicker. Timme isn't much better he's hustling.

I'm not even certain of the metrics yet not surprised.

Very clear to me after watching Duke and Bama...and it's simple...

We made runs, stops, and moved ball better with Watson than without.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Consider a 3 guard lineup

Hickman does a better job than Strawther locking up his man on perimeter, and could potentially be a better 3pt threat as well.

Strawther is a great guy for rebounds and energetic scoring threat, yet hard pressed to say our offense -- as a team-- runs better with Hickman sitting.

Anton Watson doesn't have the softest touch or a big scoring threat yet in BOTH games vs Duke and Bama, we only made a run with him on the floor.

We even took the lead vs Duke, and the very moment Timme subbed for him, we lost the lead, defense laxed, & momentum changed. If we would have left him in at end of Duke, we win. Everything was going in our favor at that point...and Timme was a TO machine.

Same thing vs Bama. When he was in, their lead shrinked, when he was out, they pulled away.

Not a coincidence.

He is a better defender than Timme or Chet (save the rim protection), and actually runs offense and can create when given the chance. He's not going to get you the bucket yet he will get the steal, the pass, the deflection, etc.

Consider having him play more mins with Chet or Timme around him, and allow him to work the middle for more hi low and finding cutters.

Like with Hickman, our TEAM operates better with him on the floor, yet playing less than 20 mins. He isn't flashy but in crunch time or critical meets of the game, I'd rather see him than others. This season has shown that thus far...

I'd even consider starting him as our defensive starts vs Bama and Duke have been awful. And Watson gets back in transition too, unlike others.

Chet only playing 25 mins a game lately, so why not bring him off bench? As a change of pace and scoring option. Block some shots, get going and read the defensive gameplan. He's been woeful lately, again, outside getting some blocks here and there.
    Agree with Hickman and agree with the implication that Timme shouldn’t be locked into 35 minutes when he’s not scoring at will out of the post. Strongly disagree about Chet being woeful lately, as he is a defensive anchor. Chet has to start because he’s one of our best players and we are not going to get top end recruits if there’s a pattern of coming here and playing off the bench. The struggles of late have been much more guard oriented than Chet missing open 3s.

I do not believe Mark is going to change his rotation.....while the games are undecided......the starters need to play together as a team as much as possible.....

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Agree with Hickman and agree with the implication that Timme shouldn’t be locked into 35 minutes when he’s not scoring at will out of the post. Strongly disagree about Chet being woeful lately, as he is a defensive anchor. Chet has to start because he’s one of our best players and we are not going to get top end recruits if there’s a pattern of coming here and playing off the bench. The struggles of late have been much more guard oriented than Chet missing open 3s.
    Holmgren looks a lot better when he is paired with Watson than Timme. He doesn't have to help nearly as much, can play zone, and contain the middle.

He's rim protection is great, and he certainly causes havoc, yet he's getting burnt in transition as beginning of games. And when Timme gets too far out of post or loses one on one, he's forced to guard more.

Point in both posts above...we need to minimize the Holmgren/Timme duo.

Have a feeling we miss Tommy's creativity in working with the bigs. And getting them yo coexist offensively and defensively. Just look what he's doing with his THREE 7 footers in Zona. It's like clockwork.

Missing that this season. And Gentry isn't known for his work/development with bigs.

The ball screen pressure by Nembhard is an issue as well, yet seems to help when he gets Hickman beside him to bail him out and run offense.

Gotta disagree...the code seems to have been cracked by opponents. This team as it stands right now is not F4 caliber and depending on the matchup would be an upset pick in the first weekend of the tourney. I don't care what metrics or Vegas thinks - they just don't pass the eye test.

The fight now is to get a protected seed for the first weekend, which isn't going to be nearly as easy as in year's past due to the surprising strength of the top half of the WCC. Hell, the WCC championship is not a lock either. BYU, USF, SMC, and SC are all circling sharks, smelling blood in the water.

50% from FT line hurts.

Even if we manage 70% as a team (average), we lose by 2 or 3 pts.

And that doesn't include the 5 missed front-ends of 1 & 1 opportunities.

We left a good 10-12 pts off the board from charity stripe, and that's only assuming we could have shot 70%...as Alabama did.

3pt defense in 1st half, the over reliance on Nembhard ball screen (Few uses him exclusively too often making us predictable), Chet bouncing back after poor starts, and transition D, missed FT's, etc.

A lot can be cleaned up with better gameplanning, youth gaining experience, and simply better perimeter D...yet many reasons for the latter.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Gotta disagree...the code seems to have been cracked by opponents. This team as it stands right now is not F4 caliber and depending on the matchup would be an upset pick in the first weekend of the tourney. I don't care what metrics or Vegas thinks - they just don't pass the eye test.

The fight now is to get a protected seed for the first weekend, which isn't going to be nearly as easy as in year's past due to the surprising strength of the top half of the WCC. Hell, the WCC championship is not a lock either. BYU, USF, SMC, and SC are all circling sharks, smelling blood in the water.
    Not F4 caliber? Same team that beat UCLA and Texas by 20. Teams have cracked our code and held us to 80 points, I guess.

We’re still good. Just have to make strides as the season goes on. Trophies aren’t given out in December. Unfortunately, won’t really know until we see it in March because we don’t have many games against highly athletic teams left.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Not F4 caliber? Same team that beat UCLA and Texas by 20. Teams have cracked our code and held us to 80 points, I guess.

We’re still good. Just have to make strides as the season goes on. Trophies aren’t given out in December. Unfortunately, won’t really know until we see it in March because we don’t have many games against highly athletic teams left.
    I think the concern is that we don’t have many teams that are physical left on our schedule (maybe Texas Tech on the 18th) so we won’t really now how they have progressed in this area till March. UCLA was not that physical and Texas looked disorganized. So I would say we are not doomed just going to be nervous knowing those teams can beat us.

Until we put on our big boy pants and start playing defense as is allowed I think it's reasonable to expect physical teams with a chip to beat us in the tournament.

Duke beat us by 1 possession. Alabama beat us hitting 10-13 3s in the first half and us missing a million FTs. Don’t think we played our best in either game—the hope is we will be better in March then we are now. Younger players more confident and a better idea of our best lineups. Don’t think the sky is falling.

Biggest question is individual offense against athletic defenders. But it’s not like we don’t have a chance in these games we lost. Play them both again and we could easily win.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    You gonna finally pass that organic chemistry course, Tex. Been taking it for years.
    Sorry, my limited brain power had enough to deal with in Black Dan’s accounting, and Dr. Graue’s economics classes. Adding organic chemistry would have been a bridge too far.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Sorry, my limited brain power had enough to deal with in Black Dan’s accounting, and Dr. Graue’s economics classes. Adding organic chemistry would have been a bridge too far.
    Lol....Chemistry was pretty simple...so I decided to take organic chemistry as a elective.....I mean how could simply considering carbon make it more difficult......my mistake.....my respect for the medical community grew exponentially!!!
    Last edited by bartruff1; 12-06-2021 at 12:32 PM.

Our two losses were to top 25 teams. It's not as if we lost to "Our Lady of the Lake" at the Kennel by 25. If that ever happened, well, let's not even go there. So no, I am not panicking, I'm just nervous and cautious. Our next two games are against cupcakes (sorry UW, you are now in cupcake territory). The TT game will be tough, as they are not a cupcake. But then it's more cupcakes until we hit our first true road game. By then, I'm sure we will have figured things out.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Totally agree with this post.. Our weaknesses have been exposed. The WCC championship is wide open with several teams ready to pose a threat to our Zags..

Wide open ??? I would think Gonzaga is the overwhelming favorite to win the Conference title...... they might lose 3 or more games but so might the others...... now winning the WCC Tournament....that is a different matter......

In any case I think they will get a bid to the NCAA Tournament and then everyone starts over....... it will be great journey....

Default "Keep Calm and Let the Stache Handle It."

This morning Zags beat writer for The Athletic Dana O'Neil posted a new article that's heavy on Drew Timme content:

https://theathletic.com/3019137/2021...ampaign=601983

Some highlights:

If you’re a Gonzaga fan, you likely find Timme to be amusing and entertaining, and if you root for any of the other 357 schools in college basketball, you probably think he’s sophomoric and obnoxious. One person’s ######bag is another’s joy. But there are two sorts of villains in sports: the ones who purposefully try to goad a reaction, and the ones who are just trying to stoke themselves.

Sit in the Timme family living room long enough and it is clear which group Drew falls into, and why, maybe even if you don’t love him, you really ought to appreciate him. College athletics has become a pretty antiseptic, soul-sucking enterprise. “Drew,’’ his coach, Mark Few, says, “just wants to have fun.’’
    This year, as the focus of the Zags’ offense, he remains equally difficult to contain. He averages 1.256 points per possession in the post, and 1.292 in the pick and roll, plus shoots 63 percent from the floor.

Combining his ability with the performative part of his game makes Drew very marketable (there’s merch now on gimmetimme.com). “Keep Calm and Let the Stache Handle it” as one sticker for sale reads, could be the team’s motto.

I come from a time and generation that find that kind of showboating objectionable .......and I hope he drives the fans in Provo nuts because they are even more objectionable......... he is a amazing college basketball player who will make million playing basketball in some exotic foreign land... we are not worthy....