Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where Art Thou Chet?

Default 10-11-4 in 22 minutes

Chet’s line. Why? Not a clue in any of the 4 game stories in the SR.

Great question. Hope someone asks

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Great question. Hope someone asks
    Hah, if the real media didn’t ask or even speculate, you think the fawning podcast gang will?

Does seem odd....

I suspect it has something to do with his shot selection from outside. I cringed when he chucked up a couple of those late three-pointers. Those were wasted possessions and unnecessary. That was a critical moment in the game when we had ‘Bama’s entire team in foul trouble. Those long rebounds became run-outs for their fast break.

It was a freshman mistake and a learning opportunity.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I suspect it has something to do with his shot selection from outside. I cringed when he chucked up a couple of those late three-pointers. Those were wasted possessions and unnecessary. That was a critical moment in the game when we had ‘Bama’s entire team in foul trouble. Those long rebounds became run-outs for their fast break.

His shots were no worse than some from Timme and Timme was shooting free throws like a sixth grader. Then there is Mr. Turnover…Watson. Somehow putting Holmgren on the bench was one of the worst moves Few made all night.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Few sure showed him, and shot himself in the foot in doing so. Very mature.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    His shots were no worse than some from Timme and Timme was shooting free throws like a sixth grader. Then there is Mr. Turnover…Watson. Somehow putting Holmgren on the bench was one of the worst moves Few made all night.
    “Mr. Turnover”? He only turned the ball over once last night, was perfect from the field including a three pointer, 4 rebounds, two assists and a steal. I think he had a pretty good night.

Perhaps your reference to “Mr. Turnover” is based on other games but last night he was solid on the court.

Tough loss.. good time of year to learn from these experiences.

Quote Originally Posted by Zag_Dad View Post
    “Mr. Turnover”? He only turned the ball over once last night, was perfect from the field including a three pointer, 4 rebounds, two assists and a steal. I think he had a pretty good night.

Perhaps your reference to “Mr. Turnover” is based on other games but last night he was solid on the court.

Tough loss.. good time of year to learn from these experiences.
    Agree, arguably Watty’s best game of the year.

Default Where Art Thou Chet?

Duke game thought Chet was held out too long despite foul trouble. Last night he didn’t play for the last 6 minutes of the game. Anyones idea if he is hurt or Few just elects to not have him in for whatever reason? Can’t see the 8 foot kid on the bench? Any plausible solution on why one of most impactful guys is not in at crunch time? Seems odd and if I am in Chet’s corner I’m saying (wth)…. I sent the number one prospect in the country to Gonzaga and coach doesn’t have him in at the end of the game??? Hopefully it was a minor injury as an explanation and he will be ready to roll next game

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Duke game thought Chet was held out too long despite foul trouble. Last night he didn’t play for the last 6 minutes of the game. Anyones idea if he is hurt or Few just elects to not have him in for whatever reason? Can’t see the 8 foot kid on the bench? Any plausible solution on why one of most impactful guys is not in at crunch time? Seems odd and if I am in Chet’s corner I’m saying (wth)…. I sent the number one prospect in the country to Gonzaga and coach doesn’t have him in at the end of the game??? Hopefully it was a minor injury as an explanation and he will be ready to roll next game
    Good questions are worth asking twice.

Haha didn’t realize your title was about Chet. Mods please merge. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    Then there is Mr. Turnover…Watson.
    Watson had one turnover in 20 minutes together with 1 steal and one block. Also 1-1 from 3pt line.

Also a key put back to score shortly after his turnover.

Watson wasn’t a threat to Alabama in shooting the ball and they knew it. Should have subbed him out after he hit that three because he made one of the most ill timed mistakes when we could have reduced the lead to two points. Holmgren was trying to hit some threes which we need from him. If he is able to make a few of those than that stretches the defense. If Few was mad at that then that would be head scratching to me. Chet should be like Olynk before he buffed up. Needs to hit the outside shot. Practice threes five hundred shots a day. I think Chet played ok and deserved to be in at the end of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    Watson wasn’t a threat to Alabama in shooting the ball and they knew it. Should have subbed him out after he hit that three because he made one of the most ill timed mistakes when we could have reduced the lead to two points. Holmgren was trying to hit some threes which we need from him. If he is able to make a few of those than that stretches the defense. If Few was mad at that then that would be head scratching to me. Chet should be like Olynk before he buffed up. Needs to hit the outside shot. Practice threes five hundred shots a day. I think Chet played ok and deserved to be in at the end of the game.
    Watson's turnover was followed by a Alabama turnover, and Watson actually made his only 3 attempt.

Watson's role, which is plays better than many of the team, isn't to shoot threes. But he plays some really good defense, and contributes in ways that don't show up in the stats.

That being said, Holmgrem's absence the finally minutes of the game a head scratcher.

Few benched Chet after he chucked up that 4th 3 point attempt with 7:22 left coming out of a timeout. I'm guessing that was not the play he wanted from the team with the score 74-66 and GU on a 13-4 run. Even Unicorns have to play within the offense or they sit.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by zagzilla View Post
    Few benched Chet after he chucked up that 4th 3 point attempt with 7:22 left coming out of a timeout. I'm guessing that was not the play he wanted from the team with the score 74-66 and GU on a 13-4 run. Even Unicorns have to play within the offense or they sit.

ZZ
    Forever more? Bold move. Few should be as tough on the refs.

I know this was about Chet..but. Is it just me or does pretty much everyone seem to be weak and loose with the ball?
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    I know this was about Chet..but. Is it just me or does pretty much everyone seem to be weak and loose with the ball?
    Plenty of air balls.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    We sure aren't valuing every possession. Guards are trying to take the ball too far into the paint, defense collapses on them, no spacing for the post. When our high low offense is clicking, it's beautiful...I'd like to see more of this.

If Chet got benched for shooting a wide open three than that is pathetic on Few’s part. Chet was trying and Few hurt the team for trying to teach him a lesson. I know Chet is struggling but that is what he needs to do to keep the defense honest.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan1 View Post
    If Chet got benched for shooting a wide open three than that is pathetic on Few’s part. Chet was trying and Few hurt the team for trying to teach him a lesson. I know Chet is struggling but that is what he needs to do to keep the defense honest.
    pure speculation or is this based upon some facts?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    pure speculation or is this based upon some facts?
    It’s all speculation because apparently no one in the media thought enough to ask one of the biggest questions in the game which is why your top recruit/best defensive player didn’t play the last 6 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Forever more? Bold move. Few should be as tough on the refs.
    Remember back when there was all that talk about allowing more freedom of movement in NCAA basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Remember back when there was all that talk about allowing more freedom of movement in NCAA basketball?
    It’s just disappearing sooner than usual, xj.