Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Alabama Post Game thoughts and analysis

For all its supposed star power, especially at the guard position, this team struggles mightily on defense against teams with a quicker lineup across the board. They get lost on picks and seem unable to stop quick penetrating guards. In both instances, when other players necessarily have to drop off to help, they are leaving guys wide open to allow an outlet pass resulting in a three or a dropoff for an easy layup or dunk. And in some cases the penetrating guard simply comes free and scores. Our defense against these quicker teams is simply not up to the task at this point as we often appear to be running around like chickens with our head cut off (somewhat gruesome picture, just an old farm saying). In the meantime our stable of all star guards often seem incapable of penetrating effectively or shooting effectively either.

On the other end of the floor, these same types of quick teams have learned to get up in our grill at every position on every possession and the Zags, who appear extremely uncomfortable with this type of defense, seem incapable of getting into effective offensive sets for long periods of time. Lots of dribbling and passing around the perimeter and too many forced passes to try to deal with these defenses, often resulting in turnovers.

We really compete better with bigger teams who have talent but not the kind of relentless in your face defense we faced with Tarleton and Alabama-witness UCLA, Texas and Duke. Granted, we didn't beat Duke but competed.

And don't get me started on free throws. That was the most abysmal performance of free throw shooting I think I have ever witnessed from a Gonzaga team. Absolutely inexcusable. Will lose us many tight games if it continues. Seems a lot wrong with this team right now. I think it can be fixed but it's going to take some serious coaching and possibly an attitude adjustment by the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That POY nonsense left the station with Banchero.
    Banchero laid an egg right after playing us. 4-14, 14 pts, 5 rebs, 3 tos in a losing effort. Timme has as good a shot as anyone, even now. EJ Liddell or Keegan Murray may have a leg up on him. Or maybe Ochai Agbaji? I like defense, so I'd consider Tshiebwe, but then Chet would be in the conversation and I'd have to vote for him out of loyalty.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    Banchero laid an egg right after playing us. 4-14, 14 pts, 5 rebs, 3 tos in a losing effort. Timme has as good a shot as anyone, even now. EJ Liddell or Keegan Murray may have a leg up on him. Or maybe Ochai Agbaji? I like defense, so I'd consider Tshiebwe, but then Chet would be in the conversation and I'd have to vote for him out of loyalty.
    I wasn’t supplanting Drew w Banchero, merely pointing out the end of that talk.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    I wasn’t supplanting Drew w Banchero, merely pointing out the end of that talk.
    Sure, but I'm just pointing out that he's still in the conversation and it could be started right back up with a single good game (hopefully against Texas Tech) as there is no one else that is head and shoulders the front runner at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Plainsman View Post
    For all its supposed star power, especially at the guard position, this team struggles mightily on defense against teams with a quicker lineup across the board. They get lost on picks and seem unable to stop quick penetrating guards. In both instances, when other players necessarily have to drop off to help, they are leaving guys wide open to allow an outlet pass resulting in a three or a dropoff for an easy layup or dunk. And in some cases the penetrating guard simply comes free and scores. Our defense against these quicker teams is simply not up to the task at this point as we often appear to be running around like chickens with our head cut off (somewhat gruesome picture, just an old farm saying). In the meantime our stable of all star guards often seem incapable of penetrating effectively or shooting effectively either.

On the other end of the floor, these same types of quick teams have learned to get up in our grill at every position on every possession and the Zags, who appear extremely uncomfortable with this type of defense, seem incapable of getting into effective offensive sets for long periods of time. Lots of dribbling and passing around the perimeter and too many forced passes to try to deal with these defenses, often resulting in turnovers.

We really compete better with bigger teams who have talent but not the kind of relentless in your face defense we faced with Tarleton and Alabama-witness UCLA, Texas and Duke. Granted, we didn't beat Duke but competed.

And don't get me started on free throws. That was the most abysmal performance of free throw shooting I think I have ever witnessed from a Gonzaga team. Absolutely inexcusable. Will lose us many tight games if it continues. Seems a lot wrong with this team right now. I think it can be fixed but it's going to take some serious coaching and possibly an attitude adjustment by the boys.
    Teams with talent, quickness and strength typically always beat us. Our style of play is suited for the Creightons, Iowa’s, UCLA, usc types… some talent, not baylor strength, and not bama speed.

It might be a little early to panic......I am not surprised that the team is 7-2 at this point in the season given..... what was lost from last year's team........ the schedule.......... and all the new players.....

IMO there needed to be a defender in Shacklefords face at the start of the game and all game long, and the Zags needed to make their free throws.
    Do that and it's a different game.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Differences last night from previous big games:

1. 45% from the field is not going to cut it, need to be 50% plus.
    2. Horrible 3-point shooting (2-7 in the first half, not much better in the 2nd). The 3-pointers at the end, after the game was decided, skewed the stats.
    3. FT's...............'nuf said
    4. Guard play. The ZAG lead guards, Nemby and Bolton, scored a combined 13 points, including Bolton's garbage time 3. The Bama lead guards scored 48 points. Cannot overcome that kind of scoring disparity in the back court.
    5. Lack of energy, ability to come back. Got the deficit to 6 twice and 4 once, then went ice cold and gave up easy looks, lead back to 10+ each time. Sloppy play, missed front end of 1 & 1's, uninspired D.

Obviously need to make FT's at team 70%+ to have a chance to win the big games. None of any of this matters if the back court scoring discrepancy is not addressed. This goes directly to poor 3-point shooting and bad 3-point defense.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    IMO there needed to be a defender in Shacklefords face at the start of the game and all game long, and the Zags needed to make their free throws.
    At least do one of them and it’s a different game!

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    . . . and the Zags needed to make their free throws.
    I pretty much agree with all the negative thoughts in this thread: Bad Bulldog, Bad Bulldog.

However, if the free throw shooting had been better a lot of us might have different impressions now.

The way we are playing of-late, we might not even be the best team in the WCC. I think we've demonstrated that we are not up to par with the skilled, athletic programs in D1. Given what we've seen over the past week or so, we might have been lucky to catch UCLA and Texas early.

I hate to go here, but watching the Zags this year kind of reminds me of days past, when Gonzaga just didn't have the draw to recruit top athletes. Back then we were ecstatic with an E-8 appearance, because we knew we couldn't match the athleticism of the top programs.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZag View Post
    The way we are playing of-late, we might not even be the best team in the WCC. I think we've demonstrated that we are not up to par with the skilled, athletic programs in D1. Given what we've seen over the past week or so, we might have been lucky to catch UCLA and Texas early.

I hate to go here, but watching the Zags this year kind of reminds me of days past, when Gonzaga just didn't have the draw to recruit top athletes. Back then we were ecstatic with an E-8 appearance, because we knew we couldn't match the athleticism of the top programs.
    With only one recruit — a top 100 — verbaled for next year, your point is well taken.

The way we are playing right now we will lose 3-4 games in the WCC. I hope I'm wrong, this team has a high ceiling but not certain we will hit our potential. We are missing some peices. 3 point defense, free throws, assists, ball movement, physicality. All things we are struggling with.
    America's Team!

We’ve seen this team needs to improve in several areas but so many of these posts are way more negative, doomy gloomy, woe are we then I think the 7-2 record in early December merits. Let’s have a little faith in Few and his still meshing staff and this young team to make adjustments and improve as the season continues. Long way to go. ZagUp fans!!!
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

As much as I am frustrated about the loss yesterday, I think we have the pieces to fix things if the coaches commit to it. Certainly the young guys need more minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    We’ve seen this team needs to improve in several areas but so many of these posts are way more negative, doomy gloomy, woe are we then I think the 7-2 record in early December merits. Let’s have a little faith in Few and his still meshing staff and this young team to make adjustments and improve as the season continues. Long way to go. ZagUp fans!!!
    I agree to a certain point. What's disappointing is that it almost feels like this team is regressing, in all respects. That's the way I see it. It's a total head scratcher.

This year's OOC schedule is a double edged sword. Maybe we were lucky to catch Texas and UCLA early, maybe Dook and Bama were lucky to catch the ZAGS early. Either way, it's invaluable experience for the Dance and shows the guys what they need to do to get better. I'd much rather have an OOC schedule like this one than be 9-0 right now against the travelling teams trying to fund their respective BBall programs.

The ZAGS have lots of new guys playing BIG minutes (only Timme and Nemby played significant minutes last year) and it takes time to get those guys to gel, especially with the complicated offense Coach runs. That being said, the FT shooting and 3-point offense and defense MUST improve to make a deep run.

Finally, let's all (myself included) take a deep breath and realize it's still REALLY early. How many teams/programs would be ecstatic with the possibility of an E8 appearance?? Pretty much all of them, with the exception of maybe 4-6. The guys have two losses to two top 20 teams on neutral courts.

Lots to work on, sure, and the two losses have brought those things into laser focus.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    The way we are playing right now we will lose 3-4 games in the WCC. I hope I'm wrong, this team has a high ceiling but not certain we will hit our potential. We are missing some peices. 3 point defense, free throws, assists, ball movement, physicality. All things we are struggling with.
    You are wrong. hahaah

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    You are wrong. hahaah

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn, love your optimism!

Question Just asking...don't understand...

Why does Timme disappear from the tipoff area seconds before tipoff in order to run down the court and "chest bump" (shoulder bump?) the basket's upright padded pole? Limber up a stiff shoulder? A visible tribute to some child in the hospital? Saying, "Look at me! Look at me!"?

Initially, since I couldn't see on tv where Timme was going, I thought he might be high-fiving some wheelchair-bound child/student or similar. His sprint away/sprint back happens a fraction before tipoff. I don't get it. Seems a lapse from the job at hand.

:]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    Why does Timme disappear from the tipoff area seconds before tipoff in order to run down the court and "chest bump" (shoulder bump?) the basket's upright padded pole? Limber up a stiff shoulder? A visible tribute to some child in the hospital? Saying, "Look at me! Look at me!"?

Initially, since I couldn't see on tv where Timme was going, I thought he might be high-fiving some wheelchair-bound child/student or similar. His sprint away/sprint back happens a fraction before tipoff. I don't get it. Seems a lapse from the job at hand.

Because it was charming last year when Jalen was running the point and we were dominant and kicking ass. Timme is a different player this year, or just rusty, but the theatrics have been cranked up. Someone probably told him about his owning his "brand" or some BS. The brand is to win games and kick ass. These guys need to take that to heart.

Also, one thing I noticed based on prior comments on this board. Does anyone remember that out of bounds call in front of the Zag bench? The refs huddled up to try and figure out who it went off. The zag coaches were right there. No one made an effort to point at the Bama player and say it went off his hand. That's the lobbying that is required. Small peas, but noticed by this arm chair quarterback.

Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post

Seems stupid to me. Its a "cute" thing like the stash that needs to go. Maybe he needs to watch a Barry Sanders highlight video showing what a class act does after doing something special. I know it's boring handing the ball to an official and acting like you have done it before,. I like Timme and he could be special but he needs to be team first not me first.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    This year's OOC schedule is a double edged sword. Maybe we were lucky to catch Texas and UCLA early, maybe Dook and Bama were lucky to catch the ZAGS early. Either way, it's invaluable experience for the Dance and shows the guys what they need to do to get better. I'd much rather have an OOC schedule like this one than be 9-0 right now against the travelling teams trying to fund their respective BBall programs.

The ZAGS have lots of new guys playing BIG minutes (only Timme and Nemby played significant minutes last year) and it takes time to get those guys to gel, especially with the complicated offense Coach runs. That being said, the FT shooting and 3-point offense and defense MUST improve to make a deep run.

Finally, let's all (myself included) take a deep breath and realize it's still REALLY early. How many teams/programs would be ecstatic with the possibility of an E8 appearance?? Pretty much all of them, with the exception of maybe 4-6. The guys have two losses to two top 20 teams on neutral courts.

Lots to work on, sure, and the two losses have brought those things into laser focus.

Go ZAGS
    I don’t disagree with anything you’ve said, except the part where you said it is REALLY early. We are nine games in, so about 1/3 the way through the schedule before post-season, single-elimination tournaments begin.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Because it was charming last year when Jalen was running the point and we were dominant and kicking ass. Timme is a different player this year, or just rusty, but the theatrics have been cranked up. Someone probably told him about his owning his "brand" or some BS. The brand is to win games and kick ass. These guys need to take that to heart.

Also, one thing I noticed based on prior comments on this board. Does anyone remember that out of bounds call in front of the Zag bench? The refs huddled up to try and figure out who it went off. The zag coaches were right there. No one made an effort to point at the Bama player and say it went off his hand. That's the lobbying that is required. Small peas, but noticed by this arm chair quarterback.
    I saw that too and wondered same. Most astonishing was Few in profile walking swiftly away to the right, seemingly oblivious to the refs.

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post

The baseline ref, who this was his primary area of coverage (PAC) immediately held his right arm up in fist and blew whistle indication of a FOUL. The top side trail referee would not have seen the baseline foul as in theory he was not suppose to be looking at that area of the court. He does watch the ball go out of bounds and raised his hand with his hand in blade fashion indicating stop clock as ball out of bounds. The foul came BEFORE the ball went out of bounds and it was flat out WEAK SAUCE for baseline ref to change his call to accomodate ball out of bounds Replays show a clear push to strawthers
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few