Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Alabama Post Game thoughts and analysis

Default Gonzaga vs Alabama Post Game thoughts and analysis

Gonzaga 82
    Alabama 91
    It's kind of hard to write about this game because it was one that did not look all that great, and especially in the first half when Gonzaga fell behind by 16 at the half. They looked better the second half and finally decided to fight for a change. As bad as the first half was they came back the second half and got Alabama's lead down to 4 points with 4 minutes to go in the game 76-72. But again they could not close the Deal, as Few might say, and Alabama did. Right after Gonzaga got the lead down to 4 points Alabama calls a time out and comes out and nails two threes in a row to get the lead back up 10, where it pretty much stay for the rest of the game. That is called CLOSING THE DEAL.

What was most frustrating to me is Gonzaga played without much passion througout the game, and I really don't understand that at all. They did not have any fight in them at all in the first half and it was Alabama who played really tough D against Gonzaga. The team had absolutely the most horrible cohesion or team chemistry that I've ever seen from a Zag team. And it showed at the foul line where they were 7-16....And it was Timme who did most of the damage at the foul line where he was 3-8 from the line and three of those misses were one and ones. The Zags didn't improve much more in the second half. They ended up 13 for 25 for just over 50%. Yes they missed 12 foul shots and 4 or 5 were the front end of one and ones.

To me Gonzaga appeared to have no confidence in this game at all. The misses at the foul line were certainly a good example, and the sloppy play. Gonzaga, in the last ten years, had been a team that could really pass the ball, and tonight we saw 0 of that. It was a picture of sloppy passes all not, and totally careless. And when I think of players with no passion, you all know who I think of. Besides Hickman's courageous play and shooting in the second half, the other thing that stood out in the secon half was Holmgren's defense. He is one player who will fight with everything he has, and on D he has a lot. He blocks shots, plugs up the basket, and just fights his ass off. When Gonzaga got the lead down to 4 with 4 min left guess what Few does? He takes Holmgren and Hickman out, and they were the two who were responsible for the comeback. When that happened I have to tell you, I immediately saidm THERE GOES THE GAME. Few, continues to want to play guys that he believes we do the job offensively, and does not put the emphasis on D that he needs to. And right after he pulls those two guys Alabama hits two threes and gets the lead up tp 10 again.

I am not impressed with the coaching at this point at all. The team has not been ready to play in the last two games, and to me that is all about coaching. Not X's and )'s but getting the team mentally ready to play.....I miss Tommy Lloyd.

Go at it Zag fans

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

we are loaded with 5 stars, but don't seem to operate as a team. I miss the offensive system and sets Few used to run. I wonder if we should reduce pick and roll and do more flex offense? We just aren't playing as a unit, it still feels like a bunch of individuals sometimes, more than a team. And Alabama, like most teams, was playing at a high level, probably one of the, if not the, best games they have had this year. I didn't see as much weak side defensive adjustments. By late Feb we ought to have more of a team aspect to our offensive and defensive performances. I too miss tommy.

Teams are smart and relentlessly attack our weakest defensive links. In the starting lineup that’s Bolton and Timme. I am honestly about done with Bolton—adds offensively but gives all of that away and then some defensively. Unfortunately, Bolton is one of a couple guys who actually makes shots.

The offense is not right. We didn’t score from the 5:30 mark to the 1:00 mark of the 2H and struggled during a similar timeframe against Duke. It was nice to see Hickman make some plays to bring us back—if we are going to be good in March it will be with Hickman as an impact player.

Our players are not especially consistent and the floor is glaring. Strawther, Nembhard, Timme all pretty up and down. Timme was not especially good again tonight despite going 10-19 from the field.

Chet anchored the defense and dominated on that end in the 2H, which had limited Alabama to 30% shooting the first 15 minutes of the half or so. I have no idea why he didn’t play the last 6 plus minutes. Very bizarre.

Your comments about the lack of passion strike me as particularly true. Alabama had passion. Our guys think it should be easy. Seems like a lot of them think they have made it when they put the GU jersey on and the team has the top 10 ranking on the TV. Jalen had a drive that was contagious.

Iím going to ďtryĒ to adhere to the 24 hour cooling off period rule. I have nothing kind to say. And I am on the verge of disparaging some young men. So I better just take a time out. Mark Few though =

I just want to say out loud that free throws, when they go in the basket, actually make the score go up.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by CB4 View Post
    Your comments about the lack of passion strike me as particularly true. Alabama had passion. Our guys think it should be easy. Seems like a lot of them think they have made it when they put the GU jersey on and the team has the top 10 ranking on the TV. Jalen had a drive that was contagious.
    Bingo. We've been humbled the last 3 games, and will be humbled many more if we don't bring passion, intensity, and a blue collar mentality. This team lacks a real leader. Pangos, Karnowski, Nigel etc. I saw intensity and a smothering pace vs UCLA, not so much since. Lack of fluidity and ball movement. Shots being chucked up because we have no other option. We seem unsure, nervous and flat. We either pout, or decide to take this personal.
    America's Team!

The two players who should be leading, Nemhard and Timme are struggling. It felt like Andrew only shot twice before a layup in the final minute. Heís looked pedestrian since Duke. Drew is forcing everything. Terrible passing. Trying to thread the needle when we just need a solid possession. I liken it to a QB throwing deep on a 3rd and 2. Just move the chains. What happened to passing out of the double to find an open look on the perimeter? Why does everything with Drew have to be in the key? I thought he had a 10 ft jumper even before his work during the offseason. None of our threes looked in rhythm (maybe Antonís). Hickmanís spurt saved us for a bit but it wasnít like his points came within the flow of the offense, almost as he decided to stray from the game plan and do his own thing. If Drew gets bottled up and has to either come back out to set a screen or dribbles and canít get a shot off, the team doesnít know what to do. No one seems to want to take the shot and that speaks to fear of the coaches.

Iím like many and am not sure why Holmgren didnít play at the end. I also think Duke and Alabama played with more passion. Our energy has been too reactive, almost like weíre on autopilot. Itís almost like someone told Drew to stop celebrating and itís killed his/the teamís mojo.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    It’s almost like someone told Drew to stop celebrating and it’s killed his/the team’s mojo.
    This is a really good point. Drew has clearly toned it down after the Texas game, which admittedly was a little over the top. He hasn’t been the same since that game.

timme didn't play great, but wasn't horrible...zags need to be able to win a game where he is just average. until the frosh develop more, nembhard has to be a double digit scorer.

I don’t see any need for celebratory actions when your getting blown off the court. I want Timme and Nembhard to own this loss as leaders instead of blaming it on the freshman. Nembhard is more of a concern than Timme at this moment. Seems like his game fell apart and there isn’t a good reason reason why. Like other posters, I wonder where the passion went? This is not Gonzaga basketball when they are fumbling around during critical moments in the later part of the second half.

Things I don't like: Holmgren bringing the ball up court and fumbling with the ball all over the court as he dribbles and wastes fluidity...The guards should bring the ball up court thats always been their job And the same for Timme. I get tired of him trying to prove hes a guard....Go post up down low like a center. I am extremely unhappy with our guards....Their ball handling and shot selection and defense overall is real bad. I am so tired of watching players make 3's. timme is a poor excuse for a center, accept hiis ability to score down low. But he is horrible on defense.....He kills the team on D. I'm also tired of Holmgren trying to prove hes a guard.....He cannot shoot the 3 ball at all and he's killing us by doing so.....

I wish Nembhard could score. Hickman comes in and scores 9 points in a short time perios. Nembs lack of scoring kills us.

What I dislike the most is the attitude of this team. This is the WORST Gonzaga team I've seen up to this point. May be most talented, Im sick of hearing that. Gonzaga has always stood for team play, and passing....good passing....This team is all about me me me and one on one basketball, best example is our Leader Timme.

Go Zags
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

First defense, identify who are the three point threats and pick them up behind the arc and stay with them force them to beat you off the dribble, we do have a fairly good rim protector. When the opponent does miss a three get the rebound, also seems we are out hustled for most loose balls. Offense, too much dribbling. We were spoken of highly at the beginning of the season for our passing ability. Haven’t seen much evidence of that the past three games. Where are the back cuts? When ball goes into low post we can get away with dribbling and making our moves against the WCC, but not against quality defenses. Make post moves quicker and when double or triple team comes kick out to an open guy. Make free throws. Missing front end of one and one is a killer.
    The good news is there is time to remedy these issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Things I don't like: Holmgren bringing the ball up court and fumbling with the ball all over the court as he dribbles and wastes fluidity...The guards should bring the ball up court thats always been their job And the same for Timme. I get tired of him trying to prove hes a guard....Go post up down low like a center. I am extremely unhappy with our guards....Their ball handling and shot selection and defense overall is real bad. I am so tired of watching players make 3's. timme is a poor excuse for a center, accept hiis ability to score down low. But he is horrible on defense.....He kills the team on D. I'm also tired of Holmgren trying to prove hes a guard.....He cannot shoot the 3 ball at all and he's killing us by doing so.....

I wish Nembhard could score. Hickman comes in and scores 9 points in a short time perios. Nembs lack of scoring kills us.

What I dislike the most is the attitude of this team. This is the WORST Gonzaga team I've seen up to this point. May be most talented, Im sick of hearing that. Gonzaga has always stood for team play, and passing....good passing....This team is all about me me me and one on one basketball, best example is our Leader Timme.

Go Zags
    Love this post. My thoughts exactly on every point.

So we shot better than Alabama 45-43
    We shot better from the three line than alabama 39-38
    Lost the rebounding war by one, but out rebounded them on offensive boards
    Same amount turnovers 12-12
    Same block 9-9
    They got one more steal than us
    We had two more assists than they did

For me difference was:
    Free throws. 13-25 52%
    Little things (block outs on wings, defensive rotation) killed us
    BUT HERE WAS THE BIG ONE IMO
    First half Shackleford going off put us in huge hole that we simply could not overcome (second half when Nemhard was assigned him we held him to 8 points on 3-8 shooting and 2 were illegal screen rub off of Andrew) limited his rebounds by half (6 first half 3 second half) Efficiency went from 24 to 5 ÖÖÖÖ..but at what cost it seems to really impact Nembhard fluidity on offense

If we are going to rely on Nembhard to take on the opposing team stud, then Hickman needs to start to release the offensive pressure from Nemhard, or we need someone else to step up and be the man on defense
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

We just look really weak and unathletic. Looks like Nembhard is the only person on the team that has touched a weight since last year.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    The two players who should be leading, Nemhard and Timme are struggling. It felt like Andrew only shot twice before a layup in the final minute. He’s looked pedestrian since Duke. Drew is forcing everything. Terrible passing. Trying to thread the needle when we just need a solid possession. I liken it to a QB throwing deep on a 3rd and 2. Just move the chains. What happened to passing out of the double to find an open look on the perimeter? Why does everything with Drew have to be in the key? I thought he had a 10 ft jumper even before his work during the offseason. None of our threes looked in rhythm (maybe Anton’s). Hickman’s spurt saved us for a bit but it wasn’t like his points came within the flow of the offense, almost as he decided to stray from the game plan and do his own thing. If Drew gets bottled up and has to either come back out to set a screen or dribbles and can’t get a shot off, the team doesn’t know what to do. No one seems to want to take the shot and that speaks to fear of the coaches.

I’m like many and am not sure why Holmgren didn’t play at the end. I also think Duke and Alabama played with more passion. Our energy has been too reactive, almost like we’re on autopilot. It’s almost like someone told Drew to stop celebrating and it’s killed his/the team’s mojo.
    All of this! Only thing I have to add:
    - Morrison noted on postgame radio (thank you Section116) that sticking w their 3 pt shooters was absolutely emphasized to the team yet boy did that not happen, particularly in the 1st half. If the team cannot execute the game plan that’s a big red flag. Scary thing is, when our guards focused more on doing that in the 2nd half Alabama was able to drive into the lane and score effectively enough.
    - Feeding Timme is offensive game plan #1 every game but well coached teams with high end talent will be able to take away the opponents #1 scoring game plan (IF they focus on that end…Zags). Players not named Timme who we need to score (Strawther, Holmgren, Nembhard, Bolton) shot a combined 12-38. I believe the poor shooting has more to do with poor offense than lack of shooting ability. As Zaghouse stated, if Timme can’t score the team doesn’t appear to know what to do or how to create good looks for other players. Timme’s poor passing out of double teams and general team’s overall lack of quick ball movement is a big part of that.

When Watson hit that 3 I rejoiced and thought maybe this is the game we watch him explode offensively and take his team and game to the next level. Alas
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

With the exception of Chet who seemed to be hard after every loose ball and rebound and as quick and aggressive in hustle situations as Bama, for the third straight game we looked slow and passive in fifty-fifty situations.

Clearly, the difference was free throws, but the hope is that we are better than Bama by enough that we could have a horrible FT night and still pull out the win.

To me, I just don’t think AN is the same player as The Lead Guard as when he plays alongside Suggs and Ayayi. His advanced stats are nearly identical to his years at Florida. I’m worried that this is what we get with him in that role. I would love to see a lot more Hickman out there with him as long as Hickman starts passing the ball to teammates.

The way I look at the team at this point is the guards compared to last year. We had three veterans plus a lottery pick last year.

1. Suggs 21 > Andrew 22
    2. Kispert 21 > Strawther 22
    3. Ayayi 21 > Bolton 22
    4. Nembhard 21 > Hickman 22
    5. Cook 21 > Sallis 22

With all the talented Pro level guards last year we went small and fast a lot of the time. This year we have guys that may be better than what we had last year at some point, but they aren’t yet, and certainly not better as a unit. Timme is #3 in KenPom’s player ratings, so I don’t think he’s the one hurting us, but if he made his free throws, rebounded and defended better, it would certainly help.

At the eight-minute timeout, ‘Bama had four players in foul trouble.

We did nothing to exploit that opportunity. We did nothing to isolate those defenders.

That is all.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    At the eight-minute timeout, ‘Bama had four players in foul trouble.

We did nothing to exploit that opportunity. We did nothing to isolate those defenders.

That is all.
    74-66 at the time out.
    Possession 1: two separate high ball screens to get Timme a roll and look. First touch he quickly kicks it out and resets for second HB screen. They double his second roll leaving unguarded shooter in corner. Chet airballs the three pointer. GU exploited the foul trouble twice on the possession leading to a wide open practice like three point shot that was missed.

Possession 2: HB screen switched, Timme doubled weakly by defender in foul trouble. Easy layup over the soft double team. GU exploited the interior foul trouble forcing the switch and soft help. 74-68.

Possession 3: Strawther FTs when Bama big goes over the back on FT attempt to pick up fourth foul. Strawther makes FTs. No opportunity to attack defenders in foul trouble on possession but still drew an important foul and made the FTs. 74-70.

Possession 4: Fastbreak. Watson passes ball to wrong team.

Possession 5: Ugly but ends with Timme driving on guy in foul trouble and missing a short runner that is rebounded by Watson and put back in. 76-72.

Possession 6: Strawther fouled in transition. Ellis picks up 3rd foul. Strawther misses front end of 1 and 1.

Possession 7: HB screen to get Timme on Gurley but ball ultimately rotated back to Watson who drives on defender, kicks to Strawther who takes a three. Probably could have reset and tried to get Gurley again. Though Gurley fouled Watson on the kick out and should have been called for his fifth. Strawther missed contested three.

Timme monster block.

Possession 8: Timme isolation on Gurley. Hard double leads to wide open three by Hickman who missed it. Ball allegedly off Strawther during the rebound effort. Under four timeout, 76-72.

It looks like the coaches and team made a concerted effort to attack Gurley (who was the player on the court and in foul trouble at the time) during those four minutes. The team cut Bama’s lead to four. They missed two good looks from three created in part because of Gurley’s foul trouble. They got an easy layup because of it too. Outside of one possession in that stretch where Strawther took a three instead of resetting and going back to Timme, it looked like a disciplined and focused stretch of basketball. We didn’t exploit the foul trouble further due to missed shots, but the execution was good and we did use their foul trouble against them. They were smart though to sit guys in that stretch leaving Ellis with 3, Miles and Gurley with 4 to get them through. Those were two guys they could afford to lose and still be fine.

Timme was horrible! Check his lack of rebounding, his incredibly poor free throw shooting, and his turnovers. If he is going to draw fouls, it might be a good idea if he could actually make free throws. Definitely not player of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    No, he was horrible! Check his lack of rebounding, his incredibly poor free throw shooting, and his turnovers. If he is going to draw fouls, it might be a good idea if he could actually make free throws.
    If we are talking about Timme here, it is really hard to see 23 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks as worthy of a horrible with an exclamation mark. The missed free throws were bad, but that's a pretty good game otherwise.

Boling's analysis of Timme and Watson's tenacity in today's Spokesman is B.S.

Quote Originally Posted by v13311 View Post
    Boling's analysis of Timme and Watson's tenacity in today's Spokesman is B.S.
    And you expected otherwise? Itís a closed shop.

ďAnton Watson, a versatile forward, plays with a bulldogís tenacity.Ē Oy. Well he IS a forward.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    If we are talking about Timme here, it is really hard to see 23 points, 10 rebounds, 4 assists and 2 blocks as worthy of a horrible with an exclamation mark. The missed free throws were bad, but that's a pretty good game otherwise.
    That POY nonsense left the station with Banchero.