Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Our D's biggest problem.....

A team with the lion King on its roster is going to be a tough out

Chet dominated the middle of the second half defensively then sat for the final 6 minutes. One of the most curious coaching decisions I can remember from Few and I’m looking forward to hearing what he says about it assuming someone asks him.

Maybe Few should take that call from MD. . .

[sarcasm]

Better they have these growing pains now than in the WCC. Talent is there. Line-ups clearly need some work.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Chet dominated the middle of the second half defensively then sat for the final 6 minutes. One of the most curious coaching decisions I can remember from Few and I’m looking forward to hearing what he says about it assuming someone asks him.
    Like who, Steven Karr or any of the podcast toadies?

Almost half (4) of Holgrem's shot total (9) were from 3 point line, all of which he missed.

That has to improve. Strawther, Hickman, and Bolton were a combined 8-16.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Like who, Steven Karr or any of the podcast toadies?
    Hey Steven is a good guy who actually works for the school now. How about a credentialed media member.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Almost half (4) of Holgrem's shot total (9) were from 3 point line, all of which he missed.

That has to improve. Strawther, Hickman, and Bolton were a combined 8-16.
    Agree, but they will come.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Hey Steven is a good guy who actually works for the school now. How about a credentialed media member.
    Gave up on them 20 years ago.

Going back to the original post, one of the problems is teams attack Bolton and Timme and have a ton of success. Everything Bolton gives you on offense he hurts and then some on the other end.

He had 11 rebs and 4 blocks.
    He came in with a reputation for hitting 3’s but he has been ice cold, and it would have made the difference in the losses.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    He came in with a reputation for hitting 3’s but he has been ice cold, and it would have made the difference in the losses.
    Absolutely

Holmgrem is 7-23 for the year. At .304%, he is 5th on the team behind Lang, Bolton, Strawther, and Hickman. The team is .309%.

Holmgrem is 7-23 for the year. At .304%, he is 5th on the team behind Lang, Bolton, Strawther, and Hickman. The team is .309%.
    0-4 this game.
    0-3 in the Duke game.

It's just one element of the loss. Chet changes in the game in a lot of ways. I think overall lack of offensive execution was the big one, here. I think Alabama's hot shooting made the Zags press more than usual. Being down 18 will do that.

He (Chet) had 11 rebs and 4 blocks.
    And water is wet and the sky is blue (well in Phoenix it is during the summer). My point should be plainly obvious. No, I never played college ball. Swimming was my main sport. But Chet is skinny as a rail, we are talking Manute Bol skinny. His thin-ness is not why we lost, we got killed in other areas. That won't be an issue when we play the cream puffs of the WCC. But when the Dance starts, good luck getting past that 2nd round. Corey and Joel ain't walking back through that door anytime soon.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

nembhard has been sub-par since the ucla game...he needs to find his mojo or zags will continue to struggle...well, unless hickman becomes more suggsy

2 games in a row under 50% from the field and under 60% from the free throw line...when was the last time that happened to a zags team???

blueprint is out...aggressive d messes up zag offense...zags will need to learn to get tougher.

This team didn't close in the last four minutes of both losses.

Apart from incredibly poor free throw shooting, and the failure to defend the 3s, this is a clear problem.

Also, surprised at Nembhard play of late. Maybe he is trying to do too much, or is tired, but it performance level has been effected.
    Nemghard has been assigned opposing players best player and I fear it is tiring him for second half…..yesterday second half he drew Shackleford and held him to 8 points
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Just an observation but I think the defense has given the opposition the 3 the last few years. If a team struggles from 3 then the transition game is in full force and things just click. Ucla only made 2 3's allowed Zag's to get in transition and game over. I know Alabama only shot 39% over all but the damage was done in the first half.
    Things are just not coming easy on the offensive end. Chet is unbelievable for what he can do at his size but so far this year the freshman as good as they are dont attack like Suggs did at the rim. I'm not saying they are afraid of contact but we don't have anyone at the moment who thrives on it.
    So cliché but this team needs some time with the youg pieces, the defense pressures the heck out of the only experienced players we have on the floor and let's the youth try and beat you.
    This is a very different team from last year, let's hope they get the poor play out of the way and grow into something special.

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Just an observation but I think the defense has given the opposition the 3 the last few years. If a team struggles from 3 then the transition game is in full force and things just click. Ucla only made 2 3's allowed Zag's to get in transition and game over. I know Alabama only shot 39% over all but the damage was done in the first half.
    Things are just not coming easy on the offensive end. Chet is unbelievable for what he can do at his size but so far this year the freshman as good as they are dont attack like Suggs did at the rim. I'm not saying they are afraid of contact but we don't have anyone at the moment who thrives on it.
    So cliché but this team needs some time with the youg pieces, the defense pressures the heck out of the only experienced players we have on the floor and let's the youth try and beat you.
    This is a very different team from last year, let's hope they get the poor play out of the way and grow into something special.
    GU has been a lot better in recent years about making sure other teams did not take three pointers (chasing them off the line). There are a bunch of articles by the math guys about how preventing three point attempts is the key to defending the three. GU national rank at preventing three point attempts (keep in mind that we lead more games than about any other team, so we will probably never be top 10 in this stat as teams are scrambling to get back in the game):

Year - 3pt Attempt against rank - (KP Overall Rank)
    2009: 261 (8)
    2010: 182 (44)
    2011: 265 (37)
    2012: 223 (21)
    2013: 326 (5)
    2014: 115 (24)
    2015: 61 (7)
    2016: 87 (21)
    2017: 40 (1)
    2018: 114 (10)
    2019: 52 (2)
    2020: 71 (2)
    2021: 67 (1)
    2022: 83 (1)

In recent seasons, it seems like years where we let up on that perimeter defense (chasing them off the line), we see our overall ranking take a hit. This season is still up in the air. I'd love us to use Chet and guard length to get that number into the 40-50 range.

Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    GU has been a lot better in recent years about making sure other teams did not take three pointers (chasing them off the line). There are a bunch of articles by the math guys about how preventing three point attempts is the key to defending the three. GU national rank at preventing three point attempts (keep in mind that we lead more games than about any other team, so we will probably never be top 10 in this stat as teams are scrambling to get back in the game):

Year - 3pt Attempt against rank - (KP Overall Rank)
    2009: 261 (8)
    2010: 182 (44)
    2011: 265 (37)
    2012: 223 (21)
    2013: 326 (5)
    2014: 115 (24)
    2015: 61 (7)
    2016: 87 (21)
    2017: 40 (1)
    2018: 114 (10)
    2019: 52 (2)
    2020: 71 (2)
    2021: 67 (1)
    2022: 83 (1)

In recent seasons, it seems like years where we let up on that perimeter defense (chasing them off the line), we see our overall ranking take a hit. This season is still up in the air. I'd love us to use Chet and guard length to get that number into the 40-50 range.
    Playing Chet more than 22 mins would be a start

We struggle against active defenses, where they get in our space and force us to make mistakes. And our response to that is to play a reactive defense, sitting way back and waiting to see what they do.