Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Our D's biggest problem.....

Default Our D's biggest problem.....

is closeouts. 2 and 3x a possession we are finding ourselves scrambling, wildly out of position due to undisciplined closeouts.

I'm not sure if it's a philosophy or effort thing but it HAS to be corrected if they want to make any noise come march.

It's been an issue all season but has jumped off the screen in this game.

Biggest problem is Zags don’t play D. And never met a 3 pt shot they care to defend.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

I didn't understand why our guards were going under screens and helping on drives so much.

Yes, 3 pt D was a hot mess, free throws were disgusting, but most importantly, the last 3 games show a blueprint on how to disrupt our half court offense, get up on our guards and cause issues with passing lanes. Makes our ball screen and pick and roll offense difficult.
    GO ZAGS!!!

Now I know how Detroit Lions fans feel (well, not really, but close enough). We had a chance to win, but gakked.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Now I know how Detroit Lions fans feel (well, not really, but close enough). We had a chance to win, but gakked.
    Yeah. I felt that way, too.

We had what? 5-6 trips down the floor down 4, where if we'd have gotten it to 2-1, the place would've erupted and I think carried it from there, and they just never put the ball in the hoop, even missing front ends, TWICE, down by 4
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

…..it allows the other team scores too many points. That’s Zags D main problem.

Chet needs to be a featured player. Like Suggs. Not a 2d or 3d option. Right now we have no effective first option.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Chet needs to be a featured player. Like Suggs. Not a 2d or 3d option. Right now we have no effective first option.
    I’d like to start with on the court for the last 6 minutes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarenyon View Post
    Yes, 3 pt D was a hot mess, free throws were disgusting, but most importantly, the last 3 games show a blueprint on how to disrupt our half court offense, get up on our guards and cause issues with passing lanes. Makes our ball screen and pick and roll offense difficult.
    Our primary response to poor 1/2 court offense last season was an aggressive press that put us in transition all the time. Now that we can’t get into transition as well, we suffer. Have to either get a functional 1/2 court offense or figure out how to turn the defense back on.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bayÖ small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Last year's team could really pass and score in transition....it was a beautiful thing to watch....

Zags shot higher percentage of 3’s….

I don't see Chet as a dominant offensive player. Good yes, but Timme is a better scorer and doesn't get pushed around so easily. Chet needs weight really badly. Making Chet the featured offensive player would not solve any problems.

Quote Originally Posted by NEC26 View Post
    I don't see Chet as a dominant offensive player. Good yes, but Timme is a better scorer and doesn't get pushed around so easily. Chet needs weight really badly. Making Chet the featured offensive player would not solve any problems.
    neither one made free throws tonight

Featured how? Chetís not the kind of player (at this point) that you just dump it to on the low post. He canít hold position or back guys down and if they get into his body he canít lift for turnarounds.

Heís unreal on defense and smart on offense, but I donít see how you can ďfeatureĒ him at this point. Maybe put him in more ball screens for pick and pops etc, but he isnít exactly shooting the lights out. I love the kid, just donít see how you can feature him and have him get you 25 a game.

Chet is the only pro on the team. With tons of upside. Agree, flaws in his game but I feel most comfortable when he’s in the flow. Which for some reason didn’t include the last minutes of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Featured how? Chet’s not the kind of player (at this point) that you just dump it to on the low post. He can’t hold position or back guys down and if they get into his body he can’t lift for turnarounds.

He’s unreal on defense and smart on offense, but I don’t see how you can “feature” him at this point. Maybe put him in more ball screens for pick and pops etc, but he isn’t exactly shooting the lights out. I love the kid, just don’t see how you can feature him and have him get you 25 a game.
    Compared to what?

Chet is the only pro on the team. With tons of upside. Agree, flaws in his game but I feel most comfortable when he’s in the flow. Which for some reason didn’t include the last minutes of the game.
    Oh, I’m with you on that. No clue why he was sitting, but I don’t agree you can make him the focal point of an offense.

- i'm not an x's and o's guy, so i never understood why the guard cheats down to near the lane to help on defense or rebounding and leaves his man in the corner to accept the kick out pass for an open 3.
    - i saw our guards do that twice (maybe more).
    - i must not understand, because it is not just gonzaga, most all teams leave a 3 point shooter in the corner.....because his opponent is bound to leave him to help two other defenders already in the lane.

He may have a lot of upside but a lot of that is because of his D and hopefully his shooting if it eventually comes around. Currently he is not hitting his jumpers and he is pushed around under the basket pretty easily. He isn't going to be a dominate back to the basket player. Timme is far and a way a better low post guy. The problems on D and offense start at the guard spot.

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    Yeah. I felt that way, too.

We had what? 5-6 trips down the floor down 4, where if we'd have gotten it to 2-1, the place would've erupted and I think carried it from there, and they just never put the ball in the hoop, even missing front ends, TWICE, down by 4
    This team didn't close in the last four minutes of both losses.

Apart from incredibly poor free throw shooting, and the failure to defend the 3s, this is a clear problem.

Also, surprised at Nembhard play of late. Maybe he is trying to do too much, or is tired, but it performance level has been effected.

He may have a lot of upside but a lot of that is because of his D and hopefully his shooting if it eventually comes around. Currently he is not hitting his jumpers and he is pushed around under the basket pretty easily. He isn't going to be a dominate back to the basket player. Timme is far and a way a better low post guy. The problems on D and offense start at the guard spot.
    I wasnt suggesting him under the basket as the hub of the offense. Time can get his layups

Quote Originally Posted by john montana View Post
    Oh, I’m with you on that. No clue why he was sitting, but I don’t agree you can make him the focal point of an offense.
    Great point. I don’t know why he was sitting too. The fact is that things are back to the drawing board on who becomes our go to player. Strawther tried but made some costly lapses. Timme can’t be the guy with the ugly FT shooting. Nembhard isn’t the guy and he proved that with the ill advised deep three during that time we were down by 4. Hickman played well so maybe he becomes that player.

Didn't know Chet's stats until ESPN showed them. I'm 6-2 and change, weigh about 205. Chet is far taller than I am, and weighs less. I played high school ball and rarely got pushed out of the paint. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math here.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Didn't know Chet's stats until ESPN showed them. I'm 6-2 and change, weigh about 205. Chet is far taller than I am, and weighs less. I played high school ball and rarely got pushed out of the paint. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to do the math here.
    He had 11 rebs and 4 blocks.