Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    ” ….last night's debacle”.
    You know the Zags won last night don’t you?

I know, I know. Everybody has a right to their opinion … but I have the right to say the opinion of some Johnny Come Lately’s really bug me.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

sorry to say, I found this game an amazing game to watch. One of the best basketball exhibitions of creativity and imagination I have seen. These 'cupcakes' of Bellarmine and Tarleton allow me to see the vast styles of play that imaginative teams and coaches can produce. They played quick and smart. Short and speedy. Looked like a 6'4" guy could stand next to Holmgren with his hands barely reaching Chet's head, all legally. Unlike Beard's Texas Tech game which to me was dirty, Tarleton did a lot of fouling as a calculated tactic. They were so quick, and stole the ball from us, stole our passes so often, we got rattled for 3/4 of the game. We were afraid to pass at all they were so successful at anticipating our passing lanes. We got out shots off too fast, and thus missed them a lot, cuz they were that good. Some of Boltons hurried shots were near blocked shots. Many of our freshmen as well as Anton and Julian were simply unable to react as quickly as Tarleton. I respect and admire a game that allows a little 'ol underdog like Tarleton to study our weaknesses, and exploit their small size for the advantage it can have in quickness of hands and feet. I enjoyed this game because I felt our guys would pull out a win, but above all, nothing is better for our players than to get conditioned by the pressure of close games. TWO CLOSE GAMES IN A ROW. nothing will be better for us. Before Duke and Tarleton our bigs would get the rebound, hold on to it, open their arms to receive a pass (instead of reaching for it) and watch a quick defender grab it first. Our bigs have learned a lot about not needing to dribble wen they get a pass deep in the paint; both Timme and Chet still do this. Our guys are experiencing the problem with bringing the ball low before driving or shooting. Somewhere long ago when search engines were just beginning, I found an old black and white footage of a female lion in a ferocious fight with a leopard. The quickness of the leopard kept the whole thing a draw till they both backed off, exhausted. The rules allow Tarleton's style of play, just very few teams have the imagination to be that different for a whole game plan. I am glad basketball is so big that the Bellarmines and Tarletons can frustrate, or even threaten elite teams who play with a more traditional tool kit.
    I would feel a whole lot different if we had lost, though. It felt close with about 10 minutes (??) remaining and I started wondering if we might lose. It is then that Nembhard took the team on his back and made two or three drives that succeeded against their quickness and gave us some 2 pointers that allowed us to start pulling away.
    In crunch time it was Andrew and Chet and Hickman that adjusted to their style of play, so I went with Nembhard as MVP.
    Last edited by ZagsGoZags; 11-30-2021 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post

I know, I know. Everybody has a right to their opinion … but I have the right to say the opinion of some Johnny Come Lately’s really bug me.
    I enjoyed the game last night... it reminded me of the old days when we hoped for a win... I thought about Portland State.... then Danny "Frickin" Pariseau and the Broncos... back even further to the days when Pepperdine was the TEAM to beat... I thought on Friday we would pull the Duke game out with a close win... last night it felt more like a close loss to a TEAM that showed as much heart and focus you could ask from them going up against the more talented offensive juggernaut that is Gonzaga...

Kudos... Texans... you did yourselves proud...

just my opinion...

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Few looks at a lot more than wins and losses. I know for a fact that he’s viewed certain losses as wins and certain a wins as disasters (debacles? Maybe).

The Duke loss was maybe a “win,” whereas this might fit in the latter category.

My .02

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    I have DirectTv streaming here in the Seattle area. Sure, it's about 80 dollars a month. Month to month contract. Cancel when the season ends. Best of all, it has Root, among others.
    I thought you could only get DirectTV streaming if you were in a location where satellite service wasn't available.

I watched the game on the Stadium app last night and the video was great. My only complaint was that the audio was just a little bit ahead of the video, so I could hear all those threes clank off the rim before I could see them. Or hear Heister say when the shot went in before it was actually on the video. Just enough to be annoying, but not enough to mute the sound.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by BayAreaZagFan View Post
    I thought you could only get DirectTV streaming if you were in a location where satellite service wasn't available.

I watched the game on the Stadium app last night and the video was great. My only complaint was that the audio was just a little bit ahead of the video, so I could hear all those threes clank off the rim before I could see them. Or hear Heister say when the shot went in before it was actually on the video. Just enough to be annoying, but not enough to mute the sound.
    nope opened the platform up about 5 months ago to anyone now....I have it and got rid of sattelite and use it while travelling and love it...........
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    As I said, it’s Holmgren’s team for the asking. Few has to endorse that.
    Yep. How does Timme handle that?
    America's Team!

Methow, WA (near a known Mark Few fishing hole)

As I said, it’s Holmgren’s team for the asking. Few has to endorse that.
    I just don't see that happening, Jazz. Irregardless of how much I disagree with your take.
    There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright

Beat everyone, and enjoy drinking from a chalice filled with their salty tears.
    Surfmonkey89

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    Few looks at a lot more than wins and losses. I know for a fact that he’s viewed certain losses as wins and certain a wins as disasters (debacles? Maybe).

The Duke loss was maybe a “win,” whereas this might fit in the latter category.

My .02
    Could be. Dickau and Fox didn’t seem to think Few viewed it that way … instead it was more of a learning experience for some very young members of the team.

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

on the turnovers, imo the misses from deep when they are mostly open looks affect the subsequent decision making, right? the hesitancy and drives into the D's teeth, the post play forcing it at times, etc. When you execute well enough to get a good look, like vs. Duke in the 1st half, but can't convert the dagger from deep and go only 4-13, it's often a long rebound and off to the races the other way, and that's after executing on O. It happens sometimes, sure to all teams, but pretty tough in today's game without the 3 weapon being relatively consistent while opponents play you to prove it from deep before they even consider anything else. just makes everything much harder

Gross game - happy for them to move on. Tarleton knows how to muck it up

Quote Originally Posted by billyberu View Post
    I just don't see that happening, Jazz. Irregardless of how much I disagree with your take.
    I don't see it anything close to happening, either. Holmgren's team for the asking? Drew is a unanimous preseason All-American. He has been with the program 3 years. Chet is a one and done. Sure, Drew had a very subpar game last night. Maybe an aberration. Going to throw him under the bus because of one bad game and give the keys to Chet? Drew has been a stellar player. But "hand the team over to Holmgren for the asking"? I find that comment bizarre.

Could be. Dickau and Fox didn’t seem to think Few viewed it that way … instead it was more of a learning experience for some very young members of the team.
    That could be. I’ll bet they’ll have a good practice between now and Bama.

I credit Tarleton for an incredible defensive effort. I credit Duke for their defensive effort especially down the stretch that ultimately sealed their win. Seems there's talk that the Duke experienced really helped the Zags dig deep to squeak out the win last night. But, what if Zags had played Tarleton before Duke? (.... kidding... Ok, probably the same outcome...)

I really think Sallis' athleticism is amazing and know we will continue focus on his development. I really like him and his Def, but he doesn't quite look too comfortable in this offense (played 7 mins). Hickman is there. He can run point. Sure he's not as calming and in control as AN, but wow he's impressive and can spell AN when he needs to catch a breath. Hoping for the quick return of a healthy KP.

Any news on when Harris returns? And if does return, how does he fit in? I know Few said he felt Harris was going to have a big role prior to his injury.

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Yep. How does Timme handle that?
    Like the great teammate he is. Like Kispert in his 4th year made way for Suggsy. TEAM.

Quote Originally Posted by GUDAD2020 View Post
    I credit Tarleton for an incredible defensive effort. I credit Duke for their defensive effort especially down the stretch that ultimately sealed their win. Seems there's talk that the Duke experienced really helped the Zags dig deep to squeak out the win last night. But, what if Zags had played Tarleton before Duke? (.... kidding... Ok, probably the same outcome...)

I really think Sallis' athleticism is amazing and know we will continue focus on his development. I really like him and his Def, but he doesn't quite look too comfortable in this offense (played 7 mins). Hickman is there. He can run point. Sure he's not as calming and in control as AN, but wow he's impressive and can spell AN when he needs to catch a breath. Hoping for the quick return of a healthy KP.

Any news on when Harris returns? And if does return, how does he fit in? I know Few said he felt Harris was going to have a big role prior to his injury.
    from my view sallis got zero minutes second half as his first half defense was really bad, out of position, on ball defense was a swinging door and didnt produce offensively either
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Like the great teammate he is. Like Kispert in his 4th year made way for Suggsy. TEAM.
    I believe that on any given night, it could be anyone's team just like the 2017 GU players.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    I believe that on any given night, it could be anyone's team just like the 2017 GU players.
    That was clearly NWG’s team. With Shem in the side car.

My wonderful big time feed kept rewinding to the start of the game. So I watched Yellowstone instead. Great program.
    The key to a Natty may be a couple of players with an attitude like “Beth”

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    The key to a Natty may be a couple of players with an attitude like “Beth”
    Rip is more constructively nasty.

Rip is more constructively nasty.
    Yup, one of each

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    That team never took a night off. Mark Few said as much. NO matter the opponent, that team came out ready to battle. I think this team has a different identity, and we probably can't hold these guys to the same standard. It's got youth, flash, and swagger. But not the blue collar approach that the '17 and even the '21 squads had. Last year's team had a couple of WCC games that were not particularly inspiring... and after the '17 squad lost to BYU, they hardly looked like the same team for a handful of games. To think this crew wouldn't have the potential for a lackluster game after falling to Duke is probably a touch obtuse. (Let's just hope they shake it off before Saturday.)

There are some out there who say that athletes who play for elite programs have more than one Mode. On some nights some guys find it hard to Get Up for a game against a Drab Opponent. Perhaps it's unreasonable to think they can always give peak effort when the lights aren't shining as bright. I buy this theory. It's human nature to match effort with perceived rewards, and these guys are young humans at that. But this group has a collective mass of talents that are pretty unique. And there is TONS of room for improvement.

The ceiling is at least as high for this team as the '17 and '21 teams, but the floor is probably a little lower as well. That's my take.
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Steady and consistent, GZ. But there were some issues.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Steady and consistent, GZ. But there were some issues.
    Sure. There were plenty of issues.

And this was the type of game that usually hits the Zags when the students are home for Christmas. Maybe that was one of the differences between this game and others where the Zags weren’t able to dig deep and get a win.

So sure …. feel free to think this game was a debacle.

I will choose to look at this as a game where Gonzaga was firing on about half their cylinders and still managed to get a tough “W”. If you want to call me a “homer” …. then go for it. No need to self delete your posts.

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

-----

Credit goes to the Texans and their coach.....great effort .....