Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    The sooner this becomes Holmgren’s team, the better. Timme is a terrific CBB player but a better second banana, as he was last year. Hickman and Sallis are going in opposite directions. Maybe Perry’s misfortune will lead to more PT for Gregg. Straw is solid, shot poorly but rebounded.
    Good summary -- Timme seems to be trying to do things he didn't do last year, presumably because he feels he has to. Hickman looks great and better than I expected at this point of the season, too early to get down on Sallis though -- raw buy very talented. I want Straw's heart transplanted into the entire team. AN is in a funk it seems but he's a steady eddy type and I expect him to come out of it quickly.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

So even though we won last night, it still felt like kind of a loss. We were favored by 30. And yet Tarleton came into one of the most hostile BB arenas in the nation, and they didn't fold until the very end. Gotta give props to them. I'm just glad our next game isn't until Saturday, looks like we need some rest. 4 games in 8 days is a lot, this isn't the NBA.

As to those in Washington who are having issues with ROOT, my only advice is just pretend you are out of market and stream the game. Looks like they are giving priority to the Blazers and Kraken, which makes no sense.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    My wonderful big time feed kept rewinding to the start of the game. So I watched Yellowstone instead. Great program.
    I can’t get into it. Seems to me to be a sexed up version of ‘Dallas’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    I can’t get into it. Seems to me to be a sexed up version of ‘Dallas’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

More like Missoula mafia to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    So even though we won last night, it still felt like kind of a loss. We were favored by 30. And yet Tarleton came into one of the most hostile BB arenas in the nation, and they didn't fold until the very end. Gotta give props to them. I'm just glad our next game isn't until Saturday, looks like we need some rest. 4 games in 8 days is a lot, this isn't the NBA.

As to those in Washington who are having issues with ROOT, my only advice is just pretend you are out of market and stream the game. Looks like they are giving priority to the Blazers and Kraken, which makes no sense.
    I feel the exact opposite.

There are MANY years where this game would have resulted in a loss. I love the fact that the guys dug down deep and pulled it out. Sure, the Zags were favored by a lot ... but they gutted it out and won.

As for Tarleton State, there's a reason there game in Ann Arbor was a "one-possession" game with 3 minutes left. They are scrappy and they can play (4 of their losses are to Stanford, Kansas, Michigan and Gonzaga ... with a 5th loss being a 1 point loss at NDSU ... oftentimes an NCAA team).

I cherish every win ... including unexpected gut wrenchers like last night.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Yep. And we will make it easy to plan for.
    agreed. 4-19 from deep will not get it done against any collapsing D. 14-24 from the stripe will not get it done when the strategy is to foul inside when the ball does go inside.

Billy G did both and GU responded poorly. Rasir looked like he rushed his 3s, feeling the speed of the defense instead of that collected compact release we've seen so far, for example, same with Straw.

Like others have mentioned, rinse repeat on this strategy until the Zags prove they can punish on the open 3s. May be a game to game thing, and then also a situational one where Zags are dared from deep to test their belief in themselves to make open shots in critical situations.

Billy G can coach basketball. He says he's done with being a jerk and has learned from his jerky past, which is deep. If so, I agree with TexasZagFan about Tarleton's future. we'll see if Billy G has turned his personal demon corner

Strawther is the best rebounder of any non-big since I started paying attention in the early 2000s.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Strawther is the best rebounder of any non-big since I started paying attention in the early 2000s.
    if he is, he learned it from Joel.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    if he is, he learned it from Joel.
    Yeah definitely seems like Ayayi rubbed off on him...I feel like he actually said this in an interview at some point?

Zags played their " C -" game and eked out a "W" against a relentless crew determined to keep it a low possession game.

Tarleton had four days off since their last game against Michigan (11/24) and appeared to have fresher legs. They had 8 steals, forced 16 TO's overall, and were aggressive and quick from the opening tip.

I expect we'll see more of that style of play from Zag opponents as the season advances.

GU's 58% FT shooting (14-24) was well below their season average of 71%.

I get it, the offense had trouble. But what concerns me most is that even with so much depth this year, our perimeter defensive plan is s o f t.

Give Sallis and Gregg time on the floor to pressure the ball and create some steals and fast break opportunities. Get in their grills.

I honestly think a lot of credit needs to be given to Tarleton. I think before the game, nearly every one of us were showing them very little respect and expecting a 30+ point blowout. I think Tarleton came in, and probably because of the schedule they've already played, was not intimidated in the least. The Zags had too many turnovers, but I think that was due just as much to the play of Tarleton as it was to sloppy play on the Zags' part. They were in their face all night long and never backed down.

I think this was an important game this early in the season. I wish they could find more teams like Tarleton who can put up a fight and give them a real game, without necessarily being a top 5 or top 10 team. A game with real game pressure, but not so much the "all eyes are you" pressure that comes with playing Duke, Texas, etc. I know they're being told this, but they need to be shown that any given team on any given night can beat them. It will definitely make it easier for the coaches to get the message through.
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    I get it, the offense had trouble. But what concerns me most is that even with so much depth this year, our perimeter defensive plan is s o f t.

Give Sallis and Gregg time on the floor to pressure the ball and create some steals and fast break opportunities. Get in their grills.
    Gregg shows the ability to create turnovers. It can create a problem getting out of position on D and cheap fouls. Ask Anton how being to handsy going for steals goes.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've read alot of comments. I agree, give Tarleton credit. With that said the effort was atrocious. Lazy passes, and no flow. I think teams are figuring out how to play us, How to play Timme etc. The 3 point shooting has been crap all year and teams can pack the box. A bit Jekyl and Hyde.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Zags played their " C -" game and eked out a "W" against a relentless crew determined to keep it a low possession game.

Tarleton had four days off since their last game against Michigan (11/24) and appeared to have fresher legs. They had 8 steals, forced 16 TO's overall, and were aggressive and quick from the opening tip.

I expect we'll see more of that style of play from Zag opponents as the season advances.

GU's 58% FT shooting (14-24) was well below their season average of 71%.
    A “c,” huh? Must be the grade inflation we’re seeing at schools. “C” used to be average or satisfactory.

Yep, if you body up and create pressure you are going to have more fouls. You are also going to make them second guess every pass just like we did resulting in poor offense and more turnovers. If Gregg and Sallis foul out, so what? We didn't even use them.

Tartleton St showed what an undersized and outgunned team can do to one of the best teams in the country by simply employing a defense style that we think we can't use because it's going to somehow get us into trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    A “c,” huh? Must be the grade inflation we’re seeing at schools. “C” used to be average or satisfactory.
    Barttorvik graded our game a "75" out of 100.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga&year=2022

Incidentally, you can see that our turnover percentage defense has taken a turn for the worse. Here are the percentages of possessions where we've created a turnover on defense over the last 8 games:

58% from the line
    21% from 3 (without Chet, 2 for 16)
    16 turnovers (6 from offensive fouls)

These games are great if we can win them because they style is so hard to simulate in practice. I would expect the same game plan from Alabama and TT. Making your 3's early in the game really hurts teams that want to play late in the shot clock to kill the tempo of the game. Chet needs to let fly like Banchero when teams want to pack it in IMO.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by tinfoilzag View Post
    58% from the line
    21% from 3 (without Chet, 2 for 16)
    16 turnovers (6 from offensive fouls)

These games are great if we can win them because they style is so hard to simulate in practice. I would expect the same game plan from Alabama and TT. Making your 3's early in the game really hurts teams that want to play late in the shot clock to kill the tempo of the game. Chet needs to let fly like Banchero when teams want to pack it in IMO.
    As I said, it’s Holmgren’s team for the asking. Few has to endorse that.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Barttorvik graded our game a "75" out of 100.

https://barttorvik.com/team.php?team=Gonzaga&year=2022

Incidentally, you can see that our turnover percentage defense has taken a turn for the worse. Here are the percentages of possessions where we've created a turnover on defense over the last 8 games:

If you use the average ncaa team as your baseline. If your baseline is the number 3 ranked team it’s a solid F

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post

I have DirecTV Stream here in Gig Harbor. Root had the Zags game on last night for me. Where are you that it was pre-empted? Not cheap but DirecTV Stream is month-to-month with no contract, so you can cancel after the season is over and it finally has Root. Out of market folks might be able to spoof their location with a VPN to pretend they are in the PNW but I can't vouch for that. I've only used a VPN to pretend I'm out of market so I can get the spinning wheel of death stream, which I've finally given up on.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I feel the exact opposite.

There are MANY years where this game would have resulted in a loss. I love the fact that the guys dug down deep and pulled it out. Sure, the Zags were favored by a lot ... but they gutted it out and won.

As for Tarleton State, there's a reason there game in Ann Arbor was a "one-possession" game with 3 minutes left. They are scrappy and they can play (4 of their losses are to Stanford, Kansas, Michigan and Gonzaga ... with a 5th loss being a 1 point loss at NDSU ... oftentimes an NCAA team).

I cherish every win ... including unexpected gut wrenchers like last night.
    WELL SAID.

Tstate CONTESTED every shot....sometimes "bad" games have a direct correlation to the way the other team plays. Hats off to the players/coaches of Tstate I haven't seen many teams that play as hard as they do...hope they make the tourney.

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    I have DirecTV Stream here in Gig Harbor. Root had the Zags game on last night for me. Where are you that it was pre-empted? Not cheap but DirecTV Stream is month-to-month with no contract, so you can cancel after the season is over and it finally has Root. Out of market folks might be able to spoof their location with a VPN to pretend they are in the PNW but I can't vouch for that. I've only used a VPN to pretend I'm out of market so I can get the spinning wheel of death stream, which I've finally given up on.
    I have DirectTv streaming here in the Seattle area. Sure, it's about 80 dollars a month. Month to month contract. Cancel when the season ends. Best of all, it has Root, among others.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    If you use the average ncaa team as your baseline. If your baseline is the number 3 ranked team it’s a solid F
    I gave them a C minus. Had they lost, the grade would have been an "F."

Quote Originally Posted by zaguarxj View Post
    Game wasn't pre-empted for me, it was someone else who does have ROOT, but didn't get the Zags game. I have Charter Spectrum (internet and cable) so no ROOT for me on my sports lineup (I'm not in-market for that channel). I thought about going with Direct TV stream, but I don't think they carry the Pac-12 Networks (the satt dish service doesn't, I know that for sure).

As to the game, we can learn from this. Coach Mark won't take Alabama lightly, not that he was going to in the first place. Then comes Merrimack, and you can be sure that we will scout them intensely, so as to avoid a repeat of last night's debacle.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !