Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Default Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Gonzag 64
    Tarleton 55

I did not see the game so I really dont have much to say. I just wanted to get this posted so those of you who did see it can go at it. I followed the game on ESPN play by play and the stats page. It looked like a really really bad game for Gu. I am glad I never saw it. Looks like Bolton and Hickman did pretty well statistically. But the stats are really bad.

16 turnovers again.
    47% shooting for the game
    21% shooting from behind the 3 point line. Gonzaga makes 4 threes.
    58 % from the line pretty poor for gonzaga

the 16 turnovers look really bad again as does the real poor 3 point shooting

Ok Have fun

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Really weird game. Gonzaga loses one of the most beautiful games played this year on Friday and then wins one of the ugliest games of the year on Monday.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Ughhh. Yeah I got nothing. Let's do better next game.
    America's Team!

Ugly game. I Wish you'd watched it, Reborn, because I think if there was something redeeming in the Zags performance, you'd point it out. Ugh.

WOW, that was ugly................

Nobody got hurt, we won.

Chet and Rasir played well. The other guys, not so much. Lots to work on, especially TO's.

Go ZAGS

I'm having a hard time putting words down. I will point out the obvious. Our 3 pt shooting and turnovers will make for a long year. Tonight's game will be several WCC games if we don't play Gonzaga ball.
    America's Team!

Well I will say a couple things. I feel it's partially my fault. I never wore any Zag gear all day. And really didn't even put anything on until half time. I finally realized at the half that it was my fault so I got my lucky GU shirt and put it on, and we gradually pulled away. I also didn't post my thread on It's Game Day The best day of the week. No one has been viewing anyway so I thought why do it. Now I know why.

The second thing is that I think Root is pathetic This is the second time that a GU game was lied up to be aired on my cable TV channel but instead of showing the GU game they showed Portland vs Utah and portland gets beat by like 20. I need to say something to someone because I am payin Xtra for Root.

Love you ZN'

Go Zags!!!

Nembhard and timme are a rollercoaster. They can play so well and then they can also play like garbage. There is no pick and roll game anywhere from anyone. There is no crisp passing from anyone. Every single guy on the team is hesitating instead of committing to the instinctual pass. Don’t know if it’s lack of trust in their teammates or lack of self confidence but rewatch some minutes and you’ll see every pass is a “ready, should I do it? I think I should do it, ok, here it goes…”

Three point shooting is a real problem.

Not to pick on specific dudes, but Watson is an exercise in frustration.

This was a game where hitting your threes and frees negates that kind of crazy swarming defense. We did not succeed in either regard.

Quote Originally Posted by caduceus View Post
    This was a game where hitting your threes and frees negates that kind of crazy swarming defense. We did not succeed in either regard.
    Yep. And we will make it easy to plan for.
    America's Team!

Tarleton just seems to play this way...4 of their games were very similar to our score including #20 Mich.

Quote Originally Posted by hooter73 View Post
    Nembhard and timme are a rollercoaster. They can play so well and then they can also play like garbage. There is no pick and roll game anywhere from anyone. There is no crisp passing from anyone. Every single guy on the team is hesitating instead of committing to the instinctual pass. Don’t know if it’s lack of trust in their teammates or lack of self confidence but rewatch some minutes and you’ll see every pass is a “ready, should I do it? I think I should do it, ok, here it goes…”

Three point shooting is a real problem.

Not to pick on specific dudes, but Watson is an exercise in frustration.
    He had a good game against Duke but yeah, agreed, so inconsistent. Sometimes he is nothing more than 5 fouls.

It is obvious JUST from looking at the stats and the play by play Gonzaga was not ready to play. This may have been one of the worst games ever by a Gonzaga team. How could we commit 16 turnovers AGAIN. I shoot that poorly from the foul line. The answer is obvious....lack of focus

All night long after the game I have been thinking about Tommy LLoyd. And I was thinking about after the Duke loss. And now tonight. I wonder if it is going to be the same Gonzaga team without Him. And it's really good seeing how good Arizona is playing. Gonzaga was NOT ready to play tonight. Why takes responsibility for that.

Go Zags

Well I agree it was an ugly game, but I think also it was a very valuable game. The zags have been functioning at an elite level of image and national perception. Losing to a very good Duke was not going to do much damage to that, or I thing change the players perception of themselves. But almost losing tonight send a much more powerful message and I think it potentially could have a very powerful impact.

Coaches always tell their teams that on a given night any team can beat them but I’m not sure that really great teams necessarily believe it. The team we played tonight was good but it’s not the kind of team that we would expect to lose to, and after tonight I think the players are going to really believe what they’re being told constantly I’m sure by Mark Few, that any team can truly beat them. I hope, and suspect that it has a lasting affect on the way they approach everything from practice to the games.

I am not worried about this team at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You can learn a lot from your mistakes.....a win is a win .....there are no style points in basketball just points.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    It is obvious JUST from looking at the stats and the play by play Gonzaga was not ready to play. This may have been one of the worst games ever by a Gonzaga team. How could we commit 16 turnovers AGAIN. I shoot that poorly from the foul line. The answer is obvious....lack of focus

All night long after the game I have been thinking about Tommy LLoyd. And I was thinking about after the Duke loss. And now tonight. I wonder if it is going to be the same Gonzaga team without Him. And it's really good seeing how good Arizona is playing. Gonzaga was NOT ready to play tonight. Why takes responsibility for that.

Go Zags
    I'm going to credit Tarleton for playing a great game. They made up for their offensive shortcomings by being in the Zags' grills the entire game. Billy Gillespie had the right plan for the Zags, and his players bought into it. Despite playing only six players, they all played HARD.

The flaw in their game plan was when they took the air out of the ball for several minutes, starting around the six minute mark. The Zags were on the ropes, but slowing the game down gave us a chance to catch our breath and regroup.

You'll be hearing from Tarleton in the future. It's about an hour west of DFW, Billy won't have to leave North Texas to recruit. He's the kind of coach that can take 2 star players, and develop them into 3 and 4 star players.

We did not value our possessions last night. I can't recall a game when they were sloppier on offense. They better start, the last two games have provided a road map on how to slow down the Zags on offense.

The first ten minutes of the Duke game reminded me of last years championship game with Baylor. They Zags looked intimidated. Last nights game they stepped on the court uninspired and not at all ready to play another game so soon after their first loss. It was tough watching our size advantage go to waste against a much smaller six man team. The way they took out Timmie and Holmgren down low was certainly a recipe for the rest of their schedule. BYU is going to give them fits with their length and quickness. The WCC schedule will be no cake walk playing the way they did last night.

On tbe whole, I agree Fonebone’s silver lining take re: now these guys will truly understand that any D1 team (or almost fully D1:-) can beat them on a given night. Grinding out a win when playing poorly is good for the psyche should they find themselves in another such game again. Two caveats: this team’s 3pt shooting % concerns me and Timme’s body language in this game concerns me. After Strawther made a horrible entry pass for a turnover Timme just raised both of his hands in the air like “come on man, what’s your problem.” Getting frustrated by one’s own or a teammates performance is gonna happen, publicly admonishing a teammate like that cannot happen. Very bad juju and hope coaches chew him out in front of the team for that.

On a positive note, Zags played extended minutes w single post and 4 guards…I like when Holmgren is in as solo post and Zags look for him to score more. Also think Strawther is rebounding well enough to play the’4’ defensively in spurts. Hopefully Dom Harris returns during WCC play and adds 3pt shooting and D to the squad. Are 4 littles and a big the plan B for when Chet and Timme are in foul trouble? I was surprised Gregg didn’t get any minutes.

Reborn, I found myself wondering about Lloyd and what impact his absence may be having on this Zags team too. As assistant coach he built a lot of relationships with players and could leverage that mutual goodwill when needing to get fiery with and challenge them for lack of effort, passion, intensity etc. Hope Few has a guy who can do that. Michaelson and Powell too nice to do that…or just not their style… or perhaps they do, but I’d be surprised. Gentry too new to have the depth of relationship this generation needs before they can handle being shouted at and challenged.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

My wonderful big time feed kept rewinding to the start of the game. So I watched Yellowstone instead. Great program.

Watched it on Stadium steam and it was great! Go figure? Its like a crap shoot.
    One thing I earned watching that game is speed neutralizes skill. If you shoot the way GU did from behind the arc its going to be a long night. That team is super fast and athletic, I dont care what the uniform says on the front. They forced Michigan into 21 turnovers and Michigan shot the 3 only slightly better than the Zags thats why the game went down to the last few minutes. Kansas shot 9-20 45% from 3 and the were able to put the game away with 10 minutes to go. If you shoot 4-19 21% from the 3 its going to be like stepping on a hornets nest in the paint and that makes it super difficult on skilled big guys. The only time it felt like Zags got any separation is with back to back 3's late in the second half. Ugly Ugly Ugly but a win is a win.

Basically, I think this year’s team has a low 3 point shooting floor and it was on display last night. Our offense is beautiful when there is spacing and we can do our thing. Tarleton basically stuck defenders in the paint and said we weren’t going to beat them playing how we want to play, we’d have to make open 3s. And we are capable of making those 3s and winning a game like that easily. But we are more susceptible than I’d like us to be to have a game like that, where we don’t make anything and many attempts aren’t especially close.

Timme hasn’t played to his standard since Texas basically and Nembhard has had two bad games in a row after everyone declared him the best PG in the country last Tuesday night.

I believe a key to unlocking offense is allowing Chet to create more outside of the normal looks he gets in the system but we’ll see what kind of adjustments we make going forward and none of it will matter if we are missing open 3s. A bit concerning how many of those misses were left/right misses too.

Ultimately, this was the ultimate trap game but it also magnified weaknesses we have in making 3s and taking care of the ball. Hopefully a much better game against Alabama.

Is there some sort of defense out there where you stick three guys right in the middle of the paint at all times and have two guards matching up on the best (aka only) 3 pt shooters? Seems like that would be a great way to defend against this team.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Timme hasn’t played to his standard since Texas basically and Nembhard has had two bad games in a row after everyone declared him the best PG in the country last Tuesday night.
    Maybe all the accolades and declarations have gone to their heads; I know the pre-season hype levels clouded my judgement of just how good this team is: a flawed but good team, not world-beating, and certainly not the odds-on favorite to win it all. Hopefully they're able to right the ship and make improvements but you don't just turn on the 3pt shooting after a couple of hard practices. I'd bet getting Dom back would improve the situation a lot.

The sooner this becomes Holmgren’s team, the better. Timme is a terrific CBB player but a better second banana, as he was last year. Hickman and Sallis are going in opposite directions. Maybe Perry’s misfortune will lead to more PT for Gregg. Straw is solid, shot poorly but rebounded.

Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    Is there some sort of defense out there where you stick three guys right in the middle of the paint at all times and have two guards matching up on the best (aka only) 3 pt shooters? Seems like that would be a great way to defend against this team.
    Called triangle and two. Can have regular triangle in paint or invert the triangle depending on how the opposing team may try to attack the zone
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few