Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Gonzaga vs Tarleton Your thoughts and Analyses of the game

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Sure. There were plenty of issues.....
    Good for you to step up on that. “Debacle” never came off my lips. And I remember a couple of deleted posts even the Super Moderator himself couldn’t escape. Go Zags.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Good for you to step up on that. “Debacle” never came off my lips. And I remember a couple of deleted posts even the Super Moderator himself couldn’t escape. Go Zags.
    No, you didn’t call last night’s game a debacle.

But you DID directly quote my response to that characterization …

Thus my response to you.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by SunDevilGolfZag View Post
    Yup, one of each
    Jazz - great show. One of my favorites too. Don’t forget about Kayce. Give me an attitude of Rip, Beth, and Kayce. I do worry about the toughness of this team. I want these guys to defend and take care of the basketball like the Dutton’s defend their ranch and their land. I do worry about how much this team misses Tommy Lloyd.
    Love the Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Jazz - great show. One of my favorites too. Don’t forget about Kayce. Give me an attitude of Rip, Beth, and Kayce. I do worry about the toughness of this team. I want these guys to defend and take care of the basketball like the Dutton’s defend their ranch and their land. I do worry about how much this team misses Tommy Lloyd.
    I think you largely recruit toughness. It’s not easily imparted. Suggs was clearly tough, as was Kispert. I think Chet is, and Hickman.

IMO, Few and his staff don't coach this kind of defense yet. Maybe it will take getting beat up a few more times for it to sink in?

I could be looking at this the wrong way, but most of the comments in this thread and online are focused on improving our offense. Why is our solution to tough defense always to try and play better offense? Why not go the other way and try to match the defensive of the other team? The end goal isn't really to reduce your turnovers, it's to have fewer turnovers than the other team, and you can do that by generating turnovers yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    IMO, Few and his staff don't coach this kind of defense yet. Maybe it will take getting beat up a few more times for it to sink in?

I could be looking at this the wrong way, but most of the comments in this thread and online are focused on improving our offense. Why is our solution to tough defense always to try and play better offense? Why not go the other way and try to match the defensive of the other team? The end goal isn't really to reduce your turnovers, it's to have fewer turnovers than the other team, and you can do that by generating turnovers yourself.
    hey scrooner, I hear you. if the wall of words below is too much, I get it

my .02 (2 pounds) would be trying to get it all to go together, O and D not mutually exclusive, complementary balance the key.

so points off turnovers and transition buckets make the D better too, you get to get back and set up or do whatever you're doing after just converting, etc. Also making FTs does the same thing for the D while missing them sets up a potential open floor transition the other way especially if there's a battle for the glass that is lost. Another example is owning the D glass after forcing tough 2s makes the O click in transition with opposing players caught down low missing out on the O glass so better looks and more makes the other way, so then the D gets to set up more often with less transition situations, etc. Also being able to put fouls on key players and not collect them impacts all of it a ton on both ends, a game within a game. And we've all seen that the best Zag Ds have translated to this run of excellence no matter the style or various defenses used, it's not been just one way (which I find super interesting just by itself), but the D tactics IMO have mostly aimed at forcing the bounce outside 1v1 and manning up inside all to force tough 2s so Zags can rebound and run.

all that said, the opportunities for just a little more poise to drain most of the good looks created (Zags create many good looks that include from the stripe even with the turnovers), and then if/when needed in close ones late, are there for the taking and are looking for guys to step up into them consistently, to just be themselves and serve it up because they can. On that, from what I've seen, RB, JS, NH, and Chet too from deep who can get that shot pretty much when he wants, being dared from 3, will keep meeting these opportunities. these next games a great opportunity! AN is kind of streaky but he takes good shots imo and usually makes enough to keep the D honest. even making 2-3 more a game between them from those looks they're getting would change all. oh, and that would slow the opposition transition on the misses too, among other things!

this is fun to think about and discuss. some good points from zagfan1 from the daily game thread below

Gonzaga stays almost a week in Vegas and plays 3 games in that span and is gassed the first game back from Vegas. Duke spends 4 nights in Vegas and plays one game then their first game back from Vegas they run out of gas late in the second half of that game. It’s hard playing back to back quality games. The only difference is Duke lost to an above average Ohio State team and Zags lost to a top 5 team in Duke. Duke is a better team than Ohio State and they choked after leading by 13 at half.

In his weekly Power Rankings column for The Athletic, CBB writer Eammon Brennan discusses Tarleton State:

Can we take a brief moment to honor the early-season exploits of Billy Clyde Gillespie’s Tarleton State? Look at this schedule, and look at these results:

• at Stanford, L, 62-50
    • at Kansas, L, 88-62
    • at Wichita State, L, 65-51
    • home vs. something called Paul Quinn, massive W, 69-42
    • at North Dakota State, L, 54-53
    • at Michigan, L, 65-54
    • at Gonzaga, L, 64-55

That’s a ridiculous schedule, first of all, though the schedule isn’t the super interesting thing here; lots of teams of Tarleton’s stature play schedules that look like this. It’s how low-majors keep the lights on. What is interesting is how close most of these games were. Tarleton led Stanford by seven in the second half. It was within single digits of Wichita State with under five minutes left, and within single digits of the Jayhawks after 25 minutes of hoop. It could have easily won on the road vs. North Dakota State, which is almost always a winning team, and usually a pretty good one, out of the Summit League. It trailed Michigan by a bucket at the under-4 timeout, and did the same to Gonzaga — trailing by two with a few minutes to play, and ultimately holding the vaunted Zags to just a nine-point win and .98 points per possession on their home floor.

It’s genuinely impressive stuff for any low-major program, but especially one that just became a Division I program last season. Gillispie is the only D1 coach the Texans have ever employed, and he just got there in 2020. His program just spent the past month making things very interesting for vastly more talented teams that were looking for little more than a tune-up. You can’t help but respect it.

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    In his weekly Power Rankings column for The Athletic, CBB writer Eammon Brennan discusses Tarleton State:
    Thanks Reno ... awesome update to this thread.

The last sentence in your quote from Brennan certainly sums up Tarleton State for me ....

You can’t help but respect it.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0