• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gu03alum
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I've been brewing for almost 4 years. I am my own worst critic and I have strived to make the beers I make better each time. We have about 1/2 dozen recipes we make and work to perfect. If they guys you are talking about are smart, they'll throw 80-90K at a master brewer to get their stuff drinkable... but sounds like that isn't likely to happen. Keep your hopes up... maybe someone will swoop in and buy the place up on the cheap and start making real beer.
    yes, that would be cool
    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
      • Feb 2007

Oh, SNAP... this is BITTER. I mean seriously bitter. Triple IPA... NOT to be trifled with. Me Likeee.

Side note... Not sure how this guy get that much head on his pour. I poured mine hard and it didn't get much head at all and no retention.

"And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• DZ
        Zag for Life
        • Sep 2007

I hardly drink at all anymore, interferes w/ seizure meds.

But, I did have a very cold Regular Coors the other day. I'll tell you. That's not a bad beer, if you can get it near where you live. I hear it's local in Colorado. Trouble is, pretty much started by a Nazi-sympathizer family, but not bad beer.

It did taste ok.

Back before I became mostly a tea-toler, Alaskan Amber was my mainstream favorite. Anchorsteam tasted right when in SF, too.
        Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
        Mark Twain.

Comment

• gu03alum
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Oh, SNAP... this is BITTER. I mean seriously bitter. Triple IPA... NOT to be trifled with. Me Likeee.

Side note... Not sure how this guy get that much head on his pour. I poured mine hard and it didn't get much head at all and no retention.

I tracked down a six pack of that a few days ago. I liked it a lot.
          Bring back the OCC

Comment

• gu03alum
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

I am having an incredible beer day. I went to Pint Defiance and had a Matchless Voss IPA which was good and then had a Lagunitas high west-ified imperial coffee Stout. The imperial coffee Stout was exactly as good as you would think it could be. Then I went to Rainier Growlers in Puyallup who is having a Dogfish Head Record Store Day celebration. I had two pours of the 120 minute. That beer is amazing. High in alcohol with great flavor. I think then tried the dfh Siracusa which is a Syrah crossed with a Stout. It was good, but I could do without the Syrah flavor. I finished with a Oskar Blues Hotbox Coffee IPA. It's funny, I don't drink coffee but I like coffee flavor in stuff. The only other IPA I had with coffee was cold brew IPA from Rogue. That is one of my favorites. This Oskars Blues is better. I like it a lot.
            Bring back the OCC

Comment

• kitzbuel
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DixieZag View Post
              I hardly drink at all anymore, interferes w/ seizure meds.

But, I did have a very cold Regular Coors the other day. I'll tell you. That's not a bad beer, if you can get it near where you live. I hear it's local in Colorado. Trouble is, pretty much started by a Nazi-sympathizer family, but not bad beer.

It did taste ok.

Back before I became mostly a tea-toler, Alaskan Amber was my mainstream favorite. Anchorsteam tasted right when in SF, too.
              Coors actually tastes fine if you pour it into a glass. The can really doesn't help it.
              'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
              - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• CDC84
                Super Moderator
                • Feb 2007

If you are ever in Northern California near the Oregon border (about 200 miles south of Ashland), there is a great place called the Lost Coast Brewery that also has a restaurant with excellent food. Some of their famous beers are the Downtown Brown, Indian IPA, Fogcutter Double IPA, etc.

When a good beer isn’t enough. Head to the Lost Coast Brewery & Café for some of the best food you’ll find along the California coast. We brewed our first beers here, and the location has since become a prime gathering spot for locals and visitors alike. VIEW MENU HERE. We are open with spacious seating. Wednesday: 11am to 9pm Thursday: 11am to 9pm Friday & Saturday: 11am to 10pm Sunday: 11am to 9pm Lost Coast Brewery & Café 617 Fourth St. Eureka, CA 95501 (707) 445-4480

617 Fourth St.
                Eureka, CA 95501

I once toured the Coors Factory in Golden, CO. They actually employ full time beer taste testers. The tour guide said there was a huge waiting list for job openings in that department. It's incredible how clean their brewery is. The place is just spotless.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

Highly recommended.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• gu03alum
                    Zag for Life
                    • Feb 2007

I am going to drive to Russian River Brewery this weekend so that I can wait in line for hours to try Pliny the Younger. I’m pretty excited.
                    Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2009

I would love to contribute more to this thread, but my geographic isolation makes that difficult. I tried a flight of offerings from a great new brewery a few days ago, but I’m pretty sure none of y’all will be around to sample local beers on the Maine coast anytime soon.

If you do happen to be driving up Coastal Route 1, a detour into Flight Deck Brewing might be worth an hour or two of your time. They remodeled an indoor shooting range from a former US Navy base into a great tasting room. The beer is great. The atmosphere is great. What more could you want?

Brewery, wood-fired pizza on Brunswick Landing. Family-friendly, with drinks and food for all tastes and ages.
                      “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

Comment

• gu03alum
                        Zag for Life
                        • Feb 2007

Pliny the Younger

I took Friday off and drove to Santa Rosa with my cousin. It took us 14 hours. We stopped at Falling Sky Brewery in Eugene on the way down. Beer was meh, but the pulled pork sandwich and fries were very tasty. We pulled into Santa Rosa around 9:30 and went straight for Russian River. We were in luck, the line was not that long. We got in about an hour later at 10:30. Pliny the Younger lived up to the hype which seems to be kind of rare these days. It was perfectly balanced. Normally, I have noticed that a triple IPA will be kind of flat and syrupy. This beer had good carbonation and not syrupy at all. It was so good. You get 3 drinks when you get in and that is plenty because it is a 10% alcohol beer that really sneaks up on you. We left around 11:45 and each bought a case of Pliny the Elder and a couple bottles of Blind Pig. My sisters and brother joined us the next day and we got in line around 8:45 in the morning. We weren't seated and drinking Pliny the Younger until around 3:30. It was hot (mid 70's) for someone used to 40's for the high. It was worth another wait. I'm glad we got to try it again. My sister got a couple flights of their other beers and they were all very good (even the sour that I tried).

After Russian River we hit 3 more breweries: Henhouse, Moonlight, and Cooperage. All 3 of these had good beer.

Bring back the OCC

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                          Administrator
                          • Apr 2009

Peanut butter milk stout? It shouldn’t work, but it does. This beer tastes like a Reese’s peanut butter cup blended with a Guinness. It should be awful, but I like it.

It pairs well with a fire pit and s’mores.

-Ken Pomeroy-

Comment

• LongIslandZagFan
                            • Feb 2007

Tooting my own horn here... but we had bottled a bunch of beers about 1 month ago with our beer gun (its a cool tool, but not as sexy as it sounds... just allows you to bottle from a keg... google it). We set them in our keezer next to the kegs and let them sit. Tasted one last night... DAMN... it was tasty. Our breakfast porter with coffee and vanilla that we call Dark Sunrise. Might have tasted better than when it was in the keg.
                            "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Comment

• TheZagPhish
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Tooting my own horn here... but we had bottled a bunch of beers about 1 month ago with our beer gun (its a cool tool, but not as sexy as it sounds... just allows you to bottle from a keg... google it). We set them in our keezer next to the kegs and let them sit. Tasted one last night... DAMN... it was tasty. Our breakfast porter with coffee and vanilla that we call Dark Sunrise. Might have tasted better than when it was in the keg.
                              Well done! Dark Sunrise is a cool name.
                              Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                                Administrator
                                • Apr 2009

I’m on my way to Long Island!

-Ken Pomeroy-

Comment

Working...
                                X