Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast

Thread: The Beer Review Thread

I found Irish Death in a can. Camping trips just got a little bit better.

"Go Hawks" - Russell Wilson
    "I’m just here so I wont get fined" - Marshawn Lynch

Deschutes Black Butte Anniversary XXVIII - I was surprised to find this at Costco a few days for only $13.99 a bottle. It is very tasty. I love barrel aged beers.
    Bring back the OCC

Now that weather is (supposedly) changing I am moving to darker, stouter beer. I tried a 4 pack of these and loved it.

Good crispness with a hefty feel but it doesn't leave me feeling like I ate a peanut butter sandwich. I am a big fan of imperial ales.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Deschutes Sagefight Imperial IPA

This may be the best IPA I've had in a long, long time. The sage and juniper give a nice earthiness to the normally spiky taste of IPA.
    History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Now that weather is (supposedly) changing I am moving to darker, stouter beer. I tried a 4 pack of these and loved it.

Good crispness with a hefty feel but it doesn't leave me feeling like I ate a peanut butter sandwich. I am a big fan of imperial ales.
    I love this one.

Sitting in a motel room, New Belgium's Ben and Jerry's Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough. It's great, even my non drinking wife likes it!!!
    Hoping you have a sense of humor too!

They toned down the cherry a bit this year... Still there but the sweetness is a bit more mellow. Might be the best they've made it so far... Solid beer. Look forward to this beer every year... FYI, for folks outside their distribution range (meaning just about everyone on this board that isn't from DC up to NY state and PA. they change this beer every single year. I have had it every year since 2012. If you go to their brewery in Hershey, PA you can drink usually the current and prior year side by side. You get to see color difference and definitely tastes the differences. Oh, I should also mention, just about the entire state of PA goes bonkers for this. I have heard of bars in Philly being willing to trade 3-4 kegs of really good beers for kegs of Mad Elf in the NY area.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post

They toned down the cherry a bit this year... Still there but the sweetness is a bit more mellow. Might be the best they've made it so far... Solid beer. Look forward to this beer every year... FYI, for folks outside their distribution range (meaning just about everyone on this board that isn't from DC up to NY state and PA. they change this beer every single year. I have had it every year since 2012. If you go to their brewery in Hershey, PA you can drink usually the current and prior year side by side. You get to see color difference and definitely tastes the differences. Oh, I should also mention, just about the entire state of PA goes bonkers for this. I have heard of bars in Philly being willing to trade 3-4 kegs of really good beers for kegs of Mad Elf in the NY area.
    So, you're saying we should buy some shares of next year's on the futures market? Like oil? Buy next year's at $45 a gallon now b/c we think it'll be $60?
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

If only... If one is in the Northeast during November/December.... this is beer worth seeking out.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

If only... If one is in the Northeast during November/December.... this is beer worth seeking out.
    I don't drink much anymore, but PM one to me and I'll try it out!
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

I was able to find 3 bottles of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout today! I have a bottle of last year's edition at home. I can't wait to try both together.
    Bring back the OCC

I drove back from Spokane today. I dropped off the wife and kid and went straight to Fremont Brewery, aka my happy place. BBomb came out yesterday and I was worried I wouldn't get a bottle or to try any of the infusions. I was in luck as they still had bottles and two of the three infusions left. I missed out on the coconut infusion which was probably awesome. The candy cane infusion is perfect. The candy cane is subtle and adds to the flavor rather than overpower it. The pumpkin is similar in that it doesn't overpower too. Candy cane is the best while pumpkin is very good.
    Bring back the OCC

Stone Xocoveza - cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg (IOW inspired by Mexican hot chocolate)

It's complex and warming. Took me about a bottle-worth to make sense out of what I was tasting. It was worth it for the other 5 bottles.

History has its eyes on you.

Sage of the GU Message Board

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post
    Stone Xocoveza - cocoa, coffee, pasilla peppers, vanilla, cinnamon and nutmeg (IOW inspired by Mexican hot chocolate)

It's complex and warming. Took me about a bottle-worth to make sense out of what I was tasting. It was worth it for the other 5 bottles.

I had that last year and liked t a lot. Glad to see it out again. I will be looking for it.
    Bring back the OCC

I went back and got a second candy cane BBomb. As I finish it I'm kind of getting sad that I will never have it again.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by Once and Future Zag View Post

I really have not got into these specialty beers. Cannot wrap my taste buds around them.

Of course my beer palate came to age with this.

Sent from my XT1575 using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    I was able to find 3 bottles of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout today! I have a bottle of last year's edition at home. I can't wait to try both together.
    Definitely among the best beers on the planet.

SAN FRANCISCO (AP) - Sierra Nevada Brewing Co. has announced a recall of certain 12-ounce bottles of its pale ales, IPA's and other beers after detecting a packaging flaw that could cause a piece of glass to break off into the bottle.

In a statement Sunday, it said the recall applies to eight different types of its craft beers purchased in 36 states across the Midwest, the South and East Coast of the United States.

The recalled beers were packaged between Dec. 5, 2016, and Jan. 13, 2017.

The recall was issued after quality inspections at the company's Mills River, North Carolina, brewery detected a limited number of bottles made with a flaw "that may cause a small piece of glass to break off and possibly fall into the bottle," the statement said.

Basketball Web Sites Listing

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.” - Mark Few

San Francisco brewery Speakeasy Ales & Lagers will cease operations indefinitely, the company announced Friday. The Bayview taproom served customers for the last time on Thursday evening.

"The last year and a half, we've been looking for options to secure additional capital to keep us going, and unfortunately we couldn't come to terms to make that happen," Brian Stechschulte, the brewery's public relations and media director, told Inside Scoop. "It left us with no choice but to cease operations."

The future of the brand will now be up to the company's primary creditor. That creditor, though Stechschulte would not name it, we believe to be Union Bank, which financed the company's 2015 expansion -- an upgrade from 15,000 to 90,000 barrel capacity estimated at around $7.5 million. (According to Stechschulte, Speakeasy produced around 35,000 barrels of beer in 2016.)

“For me, I just want our guys to play our best when our best is needed. If they do that, then good on them. I think we can compete with anybody in the country on any particular night.” - Mark Few

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    San Francisco brewery Speakeasy Ales & Lagers will cease operations indefinitely, the company announced Friday. The Bayview taproom served customers for the last time on Thursday evening.
    The beginning of the overdue washout?
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Same thing happened with golf courses. . .too many places to play and not enough customers

Very dank and tasty. I like this beer a lot.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by TheZagPhish View Post
    The beginning of the overdue washout?
    Definitely. There are a three groups of people who are going to be washed out first. A) the money people. These are the folks that knew nothing about beer, but hired a master brewer and threw money at it. That works for awhile, but eventually they guy you are paying is going to say it's time I worked for myself. And B) the folks who have no business sense but could make good beer. I've seen these guys... and I feel bad for them. These folks got in for the right reasons but couldn't put a solid business plan together if someone handed it to them on a silver platter. Lastly, the folks were see now more publicly... C) The trying too hard to grow too fast. These folks hit a threshold and instead of making the decision to slow the pace down a touch, they double down and try to get huge... fast. It rarely works.

Definitely. There are a three groups of people who are going to be washed out first. A) the money people. These are the folks that knew nothing about beer, but hired a master brewer and threw money at it. That works for awhile, but eventually they guy you are paying is going to say it's time I worked for myself. And B) the folks who have no business sense but could make good beer. I've seen these guys... and I feel bad for them. These folks got in for the right reasons but couldn't put a solid business plan together if someone handed it to them on a silver platter. Lastly, the folks were see now more publicly... C) The trying too hard to grow too fast. These folks hit a threshold and instead of making the decision to slow the pace down a touch, they double down and try to get huge... fast. It rarely works.
    There's a brewery very close to my house that makes terrible beer. The story on their website says that one of the owners brewed some beer. He and the other owners went skiing and then came home and drank his home brew. They thought this is good, we should start a brewery. So they did. After brewing beer once. You walk into this place and it looks right. They have all of the equipment and the drinking area is first class. The place has great atmosphere. I thought so far so good. Then I ordered their IPA. It was gross. My wife got the Pale Ale. It was also gross, but less gross. I checked untapped to see some of the other beers. Maybe this place was really good at making stouts. Nope. They have terrible ratings on all of their beers. Anyway, I think these guys started a brewery and knew how it should look, but had no idea how to make good beer. Unless they have lots of money I doubt they will last another year which is sad because I like having a brewery near my house.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    There's a brewery very close to my house that makes terrible beer. The story on their website says that one of the owners brewed some beer. He and the other owners went skiing and then came home and drank his home brew. They thought this is good, we should start a brewery. So they did. After brewing beer once. You walk into this place and it looks right. They have all of the equipment and the drinking area is first class. The place has great atmosphere. I thought so far so good. Then I ordered their IPA. It was gross. My wife got the Pale Ale. It was also gross, but less gross. I checked untapped to see some of the other beers. Maybe this place was really good at making stouts. Nope. They have terrible ratings on all of their beers. Anyway, I think these guys started a brewery and knew how it should look, but had no idea how to make good beer. Unless they have lots of money I doubt they will last another year which is sad because I like having a brewery near my house.
    I've been brewing for almost 4 years. I am my own worst critic and I have strived to make the beers I make better each time. We have about 1/2 dozen recipes we make and work to perfect. If they guys you are talking about are smart, they'll throw 80-90K at a master brewer to get their stuff drinkable... but sounds like that isn't likely to happen. Keep your hopes up... maybe someone will swoop in and buy the place up on the cheap and start making real beer.