Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: The Beer Review Thread

Default The Beer Review Thread

Hopefully self-explanatory.

I start this with a little note dropped in an earlier thread.

the Dogfish Head brewery's Pangaea was a very nice surprise.

Pangaea

I was a little skeptical about it being brewed with crystallized ginger, but it has a very smooth taste. If you like Belgian ales, this will settle well with you. I also like the fact that it comes in great big ol' 750 ml bottles. Best served in a stemmed tulip glass, but a red wine glass will also do. A little bit on the pricey side. If I recollect, it was around $13 for a bottle.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Next installment will be Ommegang's Rare Vos.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

I am currently performing research. Posts to come.

Five stars and a fresh bottle of Hop Trip.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Currently researching a Jubelale as I post this. Mmmmmmmm good!
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

I Rate This Thread Five Hops !

Rare Vos is one Ommegang brewery's Belgian style ales. They do these very well. Ommegang, Cooperstown, NY, is owned by the Duval brewing company from Belgium and apparently they share a lot of their craftmanship with Ommegang.

Rare Vos, though, does not match the elegance and richness of some of the other Ommegang offerings. It is like a very good everyday ale, a nice clean, crisp taste that is lighter than other Belgians I have had. It does not have the full flavor and spice of other occasional or specialty ales like the Dogfish Head Pangaea, a Duval or Chimay or even other Ommegang ales. Rare Vos is a very good everyday ale, but there are lots of good everyday ales.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Nice Cristmas Ale from Maritime Pacific, we (brothers, cousins and myself) downed a few pitchers at The Swiss in Tacoma the day after Thanksgiving. Fairly high alcohol content somewhere around 9%. If I'd known how the Zags were going to play later that day I would have downed a few more.....

Last edited by Bocco; 11-26-2007 at 12:04 PM.
    The world is a magical place full of people waiting to be offended by something.

So far this thread has hit a couple of my favorite brewers.

Dogfish head - Midas Touch! most amazing! hard to find though.

Rogue - Santa's Private reserve is a great one too.
    "It is by going down into the abyss that we recover the treasures of life. Where you stumble, there lies your treasure.”
    ~Joseph Campbell ~

Down here in SD we drink Stone Ale. No yellow Fizzy stuff. Every one knows Arrogant #######. But I think the Stone IPA takes the cake. Also crazy Barley Wine and Chipotle Ale are a good curve ball.

Quote Originally Posted by Bocco View Post
    Nice Cristmas Ale from Maritime Pacific, we (brothers, cousins and myself) downed a few pitchers at The Swiss in Tacoma the day after Thanksgiving. Fairly high alcohol content somewhere around 9%. If I'd known how the Zags were going to play later that day I would have downed a few more.....

Yes, Uber agrees. Uber consumed a pitcher or two of this a day before Thanksgiving at the Parkway Tavern.
    If you can't handle the confusion, stay out of the Foo!

Uber on GuBoards: "Pathetic. We've got posters just sleepwalking through threads."

No Foo for You!

Uber will have to update this after the St Joe's game. It will be interesting to see whether he goes low brow or sticks with the good stuff.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Uber, response please.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Since this thread has languished much longer than necessary (doesn't anyone in the freakin' FOO drink beer?!) I have dredged this thread back up and will add my current personal favorite to the list.

Yuengling Black and Tan has become my house beer for the last 6-7 years. First off, it is brewed by America's oldest brewery in Pottsville, PA, which shows that craft beer brewing has been an American tradition for nearly two centuries (Yea, America!).

The Black and Tan that they make has a nice, mellow porter flavor that is combined with a stronger hops flavor and carbonation of their beer. This combines the aspects of porter and lager that I most like. All I have to say is 'mmmmm'.

Then the best part. It is priced with the likes of Bud Light. I can actually afford it! I love this beer.

America's Oldest Brewery
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 05-30-2008 at 07:10 PM.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Well I've been staying with my usual winter favorite Jubelale. I'd go more for the Jolly Roger but it is not available (at least I haven't found it in bottles) in Spokane, so it's reserved for road trips to the Seattle area. Next scheduled trip is the BIS. Occasionally I'll go for a Snow Cap, Winterhook, or Wassail. Once winter is over the house beer becomes Quail Springs.

I'll give the Yuengling Black and Tan a taste when (if) I stumble across it.

I didn't answer the first time because I don't drink "ale" which seems to be the going thing in this thread. Unfortunately for me, at least when I get around beer drinkers, the only kind of beer I like is considered p*ss water --
    CORONA is my choice.

The rest of you can drink that thick brown stuff that puts 20# a year on the belly, I'll stick with the light stuff, or in the alternative, my favored drink which is WHISKEY!!!
    ZAGS RULE!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

Doesn't anyone in the freakin' FOO drink beer?!

I drink beer but not very often. Prefer red wine or booze to brewski. . .

Basketball Web Sites Listing

"The most interesting place exists between how people see themselves and how other people do." -- Wright Thompson

Tried Full Sail's "Wreck the Halls" tonight. Overall not a bad beer. Medium weight IPA with hoppy nose and a bright, bitter citrus attack, round mouthfeel and herby finish. The reserve is 6.7% and a nice winter warmer, but honestly not too interesting. I'm craving something interesting and moving on.
    Once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

I've got to get some of this.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...icial%26sa%3DN

Birddog]

Next up, Morimoto Soba by Rogue.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by lawzag View Post
    I didn't answer the first time because I don't drink "ale" which seems to be the going thing in this thread. Unfortunately for me, at least when I get around beer drinkers, the only kind of beer I like is considered p*ss water --
    CORONA is my choice.

The rest of you can drink that thick brown stuff that puts 20# a year on the belly, I'll stick with the light stuff, or in the alternative, my favored drink which is WHISKEY!!!
    First off, ale is beer. Beer usually falls in one of two catagories; lager or ale. Most mass-marketed American beers are lagers (Bud, Coors, etc). The difference between lager and ale is how they are fermented; lagers are fermented at cooler temps with a yeast mixture that sinks to the bottom of the pre-fermented beer (wort), ales use a yeast mixture that floats on top. Many of the very darkest and heaviest porters as well as the the German hefeweissens (wheat beer) are actually lager-style beers rather than ales despite being heavy. If I am not mistaken, I thing Guiness is actually a lager-style beer (anyone?).

IMO, the best lagers made are called pilsners, named after the Bohemian namesake Pilzen. Pilsner Urquel (from Pilsen) or Budjoivice (Czech for the German name Budweiser) are my personal favorites.
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 01-26-2008 at 05:55 AM.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

If you like Belgian ales, this will settle well with you. I also like the fact that it comes in great big ol' 750 ml bottles.
    Would that be similar to a Blue Moon (a white Belgian ale), or even a Hoergarrten (yikes, spelling)?
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 12-24-2007 at 06:51 PM.
    "SLAINTE"

Pilsner Urquel (from Pilsen) or Budjoivice (Czech for the German name Budweiser) are my personal favorites.
    Love Pilsner Urquel!

Next up:
    Bad Elf

Those Czech beers are also surprisingly VERY inexpensive, but IMO, you get what you pay for.
    "SLAINTE"

Quote Originally Posted by Zagme-totheleft! View Post
    Would that be similar to a Blue Moon (a white Belgian ale), or even a Hoergarrten (yikes, spelling)?
    Isn't Blue Moon a wheat beer? No time to check and verify, but I think so. (off to Christmas eve Mass)
    Last edited by kitzbuel; 12-24-2007 at 06:52 PM.
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Default Yes, the Christmas eve selection...

We've now started with....

La Fin Du Monde

Ooooh my. This is lovely.