Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Gonzaga vs Duke Post Game thoughts and analysis

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    I absolutely despise blaming refs.

We lost the 2017 title, not because the ref missed the baseline out-of-bounds, but because of a dozen other plays that gave up the lead, including Karnowski missing bunnies from a poked eye in the SC game. Likewise, we lose to Duke because our shots didn't fall, and theirs did, including a bank 3 (like the Tennessee game). Like the Baylor game Duke played physical, and our guys didn't respond. After Baylor, I continue to wonder why Timme didn't spend the summer in the weight room. The Duke game made him pay for that. Paolo was a monster, and he had a supporting cast of two other physical specimens of human perfection.

Stop blaming the refs and accept, on that night, Duke was the better team, if even by a hair.
    Good post. That says it all. I agree. It gets old and boring, blaming the refs.

We lost the 2017 title, not because the ref missed the baseline out-of-bounds, but because of a dozen other plays that gave up the lead, including Karnowski missing bunnies from a poked eye in the SC game. Likewise, we lose to Duke because our shots didn't fall, and theirs did, including a bank 3 (like the Tennessee game). Like the Baylor game Duke played physical, and our guys didn't respond. After Baylor, I continue to wonder why Timme didn't spend the summer in the weight room. The Duke game made him pay for that. Paolo was a monster, and he had a supporting cast of two other physical specimens of human perfection.

Stop blaming the refs and accept, on that night, Duke was the better team, if even by a hair.
    Human perfection? Ok. I get what you saying. I think.
    The TO's where why GU lost. Mostly driven by the inability to handle the physical on-ball pressure.
    Duke presents challenges other most other clubs don't. Acknowledge it and prepare for it or suffer the same result.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Good post. That says it all. I agree. It gets old and boring, blaming the refs.
    To me, the discussion goes to how much to try to take the human element out of sports. I hate all the reviews in the NFL, especially when the really important ones (pass interference, for example) are not reviewable (it was for a year, never reversed, and eliminated). All this talk about replacing the umpires (balls and strikes) in MLB is ridiculous, and would slow down an already interminable period of time needed to complete what was once a delightful afternoon at the ballpark. Humans make mistakes and no cameras or reviews can change that. Interestingly enough, the reviews are performed by humans, with their inherent imperfections. So, there's that.........

Koach spent, what, 4 decades, perfecting his "influence"?? Can't control for that unless you put him in the Get Smart cone of silence. Technology is the enemy here, not the solution. As long as you have human beings refereeing activities by other human beings, that's what you get. It's a feature, not a bug.

The beauty of sports IS the human element, from the players to the coaches to the officials to the fans. Take that away and you end up with a physics or chemistry lab, and who wants to watch that on TV, or in person. The art and beauty of the games are in the essential imperfections of those same games, exemplified by the humans who participate, referee, coach, and watch them.

Dook beat the ZAGS by 3 on Friday night. OK, we'll get them next time. If every call and every player were perfect, the games would be boring and wouldn't even need to be played. Just apply the analytics and you have your winner. Moreover, we wouldn't have anything to talk about after a loss...............

Go ZAGS

Couldn't agree more! People get so fixated on a "blown call" at a crucial part in the game. The same people tend to overlook or forget that some other calls may have gone our way over the course of the game. Bad calls happen .. they usually happen to both teams. It sucks, but the human element is part of the game. No doubt it leaves a bad taste in your mouth but I just can't buy into ONE bad call is THE reason for a team to have lost the game. They play 40 minutes of basketball.

GO ZAGS!