Thread: Flush it and move on

Default Flush it and move on

For as great as Nembhard played against UCLA, he just didn't have it tonight.

Coaches will use the game video to teach at least a dozen lessons to the players, onward and upward.

Obviously Duke caused a lot of these mistakes. The experience will be so beneficial. Fun game!

Tex—

A rough game for a very good player

Six turnovers. Key travel, key miss on 1 and 1. Missed three.

He will bounce back.

Duke proved they are one of the best teams. We are too

Timme and Chet stay out of foul trouble and our freshman continue to get better, I like our chances in game two if it happens. Need to take care of the ball a bit better.

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Tex—

A rough game for a very good player

Six turnovers. Key travel, key miss on 1 and 1. Missed three.

He will bounce back.

Duke proved they are one of the best teams. We are too

Timme and Chet stay out of foul trouble and our freshman continue to get better, I like our chances in game two if it happens. Need to take care of the ball a bit better.
    Agree completely, Andrew and the Zags will bounce back...no worries. They just proved they weren't invincible tonight. For November, it was a hell of a game that should have been played on prime time. ESPN screwed the pooch with the late start. That football game between UNC and NC State was putrid. Mack Brown should retire after his team imploded in the last two minutes.

For all the frustration, the score differential also comes down to that ridiculous, banked three by Baker. Tonight was pretty close to a coin toss.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post
    For all the frustration, the score differential also comes down to that ridiculous, banked three by Baker. Tonight was pretty close to a coin toss.

I forgot about that.

Meanwhile, on the other end, Chet was cold from deep. It’s wild how such a closely contested game can come down to a few things like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Ball View Post

Great point. If memory serves me correct I think we had a wide open breakaway Layin and someone threw it way to far ahead of strawther and he saved it from going out of bounds and it went to Duke and we blew a golden opportunity for two free points and to push the lead to I think 5. Then on ensuing Posse sun that Baker guy hit the backboard 3. I immediately thought “oh crap! I’ve seen this movie before”

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Agree completely, Andrew and the Zags will bounce back...no worries. They just proved they weren't invincible tonight. For November, it was a hell of a game that should have been played on prime time. ESPN screwed the pooch with the late start. That football game between UNC and NC State was putrid. Mack Brown should retire after his team imploded in the last two minutes.
    Tex, the eyes of the nation were definitely not upon this game, sadly.

I truly feel bad for Tarleton State in a couple of days. We all know what happens when you try to poke a wounded animal.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

All those mistakes we made are more the result of a team that pressures you speeds you up...and gets you out of your comfort range....not cause such and such had a bad game. IF you let the GU make the first pass...without pressure....they will eat you up because that is what sets it all in motion. Next time we play Duke...or somebody similiar...we need a safety valve at all times...when our PG gets doubled or tripled...the offense shuts down...the other guys have to come to the ⁴ball..and provide that. Nembhard struggled because they smothered him...we were better off running against Duke ..."then setting it up"...and that running nullified their advantage and got us back in the game...and nearly a win. TEAMS like unlv and loyal Marymount made a living using fatique as a strategy...I would suggest against Duke types it be purposely employed...its what turned last night's game around. Nembhard speeding the game up was a good move.

Its really hard in practice to simulate a DUKE level defense...and maybe you see 1 or 2 teams a year that can bring that pressure...Baylor ambushed us last year..and NC did it to us in the Finals a few years ago. GU has gotten to the level where their conference/talent level can prepare them for 95% of our opponents....but to get over the top we need some new wrinkles...again most of what GU does is VERY effective...but against some it wont be enough. I'd like to see a nice sweat coming out off the lockeroom....and then a good 10 minute track meet to open the game. I'd like to see it monday night. Hats off to our guards last night showing their toughness....and Chet coming back after the shellshock of the opening 15 minutes....more alleyopps to chet please...he can go where not many can go.

When is the last GU team that had the type of skilled (and big) defensive players as Baylor last year and Duke this year? It seems those are the type of players that present the most problems.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    When is the last GU team that had the type of skilled (and big) defensive players as Baylor last year and Duke this year? It seems those are the type of players that present the most problems.
    The've had a few of them...Casey Cavalry....Jp Batista...come to mind. Teams almost have to get physical with us....cause they generally can't beat GU at their own game. GU is now a 30 wins a year team...thats high ground right there. The reason is the offensive skills/shooters they have. This year's team has as much skill as any Zag team...but their not bruisers....teams used to rough up Morrison but still couldn't stop him. Our ability to run got us back into the game. When we started beating Duke up the floor...you knew we were slowing them down...their main guy cramped up and wasn't effective after that...and he scored 20 in the first half....his departure helped enormously...as we had no answer for him except a track meet.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Better question might be why the Zags aren't ready for those kinds of teams.
    "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    Or how do you get ready for those kind of teams? Especially when our talented Holgrem is outweighed by 40-45 pounds by another skilled opponent.

After the Tarleton State game, felt a need to put this thread title back at the top of the page again
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
    This is a great question. And why aren't we one of these kinds of teams? You don't even need size or depth to play annoyingly physical defense (Tarleton played SIX guys).

This was an ugly game. You have Nembhard forcing things and Timme just playing sloppy. Holmgren, Hickman, and Bolton had enough to save us. Maybe the team needs to take a day or two off to get back mentally? I know Tarleton is a scrappy team. However, you cant keep them in the game like that.