Yep

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Exactly.

Comment

• daskim
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2020

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
      Quick quiz for Gints fans, for which Army team did Mays play during his active duty?
      He played about 180 games for the Fort Eustis Wheels. Probably would have broken Ruth's record before Aaron did, because he was coming off a Rookie of Year award when he went into the Army.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post
        He played about 180 games for the Fort Eustis Wheels. Probably would have broken Ruth's record before Aaron did, because he was coming off a Rookie of Year award when he went into the Army.
        We have a winner.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

My first baseball game was in St Louis. I got to see Stan Musial and he became MY go to baseball icon.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
            My first baseball game was in St Louis. I got to see Stan Musial and he became MY go to baseball icon.
            One of a kind

Comment

• TexasZagFan
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              During a Giants game I attended when I was 10, I came within several feet of catching a Stan Musial home run. The memory haunts me today.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by daskim View Post
                Ted Williams likely would have broken Ruth's record, but he lost five years in his prime to being a fighter pilot in WWII and Korea.

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DZ View Post
                  I wanted to beat Duke badly.

But tonight, I admit, Duke was the better team, not by a big margin, but for tonight.

But I did NOT want to go the regular season undefeated again. It put even extra pressure on our guys. Plus, you learn some things when you lose.

We beat Texas, UCLA, we went down to the last minute with Duke (Who wll be No. 1 and we'll be 2, IMO), we have a game against a top 15 Alabama team we have to win, and not take Texas Tech lightly.

IF we make it through THAT non-conf. sched with one loss it is miraculous.

I also think this is the year our conf. win streak breaks. Good teams lurking out there. And that's okay, too.

I would love for this young team to go into the NCAA as a No. 1 seed in the West with 2-3 losses.

I hate Duke. I would'lve loved to have beat them. But we didn't want to be undefeated again. We played a tough game down to the wire. I'm happy.
                  You may not want to go undefeated , but I do. I want to win every game, every year. Why would you not want to go undefeated ? Maybe if we went undefeated and won 2 o 3 championships in a row those people back east would stop crying about how the Zags are not that good.

Comment

• Zagceo
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2013

Being undefeated means we win the title.

Comment

• TexasZagFan
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
                      You may not want to go undefeated , but I do. I want to win every game, every year. Why would you not want to go undefeated ? Maybe if we went undefeated and won 2 o 3 championships in a row those people back east would stop crying about how the Zags are not that good.
                      You know that wouldn't be enough for the Blue Bloods.

Comment

• Reborn
                        Zag for Life
                        • Oct 2007

I believe the loss does not have to hurt the Zags, and it could actually help them in the long run. The season is young, and they will learn a lot from that loss and they will grow and get better. I believe it is really really hard to go undefeated in a season any more. It hasn't been done for a long long time. I still believe that it's really important to win our conference and this loss will help us prepare to do just that. it is not going to be as easy this year to win it, and that is going to help us get stronger and tougher. We will continue to take it one game at a time because we still have some very challenging games ahead in our NON CONVERENCE schedule: Alabama and Texas Tech, and of course the UW. Real big games that I know I will enjoy.

Go Zags!!!
                        Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Comment

• bartruff1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Jan 2010

Sure ...there was the Say Hey Kid...and The Duke....but the biggest star on the biggest stage.....under the brightest lights was.......a teenager from Oklahoma .....

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                            Zag for Life
                            • Nov 2008

Who wants a loss? Weak to hope for a season with defeats. Even if a loss wouldn't hurt the team.
                            "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

• DZ
                              Zag for Life
                              • Sep 2007

Originally posted by ZagLawGrad View Post
                              Who wants a loss? Weak to hope for a season with defeats. Even if a loss wouldn't hurt the team.
                              For the "tough" guys bragging that they don't want a "loss," I guess I will clarify, though most seemed to pick it up quite easily.

There has never been a game that going into it I wanted Gonzaga to lose. It is not like there was a point with 45 seconds left I thought; "I hope we lose."

Every game we play, I hope we win.

But my ultimate goal for this team and school is a national championship. I think there is a reason that the last team to go undefeated was in 1977. The pressure gets immense and, much more importantly, losses do teach you things that victories do not. Baylor had two losses last year when they absolutely steamrolled us in the finals.

I think we have a better chance at winning a national championship if we enter the NCAA tournament having experienced a loss, or two. (More and I worry about seeding).

So while it is evidently "tougher" to want to go undefeated, I guess I go with the "weaker" position and the odds that say it will make us more likely to win the National Championship. I could've heard it now, "For the second year in a row, Gonzaga enters the tournament undefeated, can they do it this year..." Instead of just tolling the ball out.

Weak to call out others as "weak" for looking at the bigger picture and believing (rightly or wrongly) that we have a better shot at the NC having experienced a loss or even two.

I am not sure how the thread became part Giants-Baseball history, but I sure enjoyed it. Love the story guys. Back before every game everywhere was televised, kids of a certain generation fell in love with teams the way you guys did.

If you ever listen to Gretzky talk, he would've give up his hockey career to be an all-star centerfielder for the Detriot Tigers. He listened to the Tigers on the radio in Southern Ontario and it was only when he was 13-14 did he figure out that if he was going to play professional sports it would be in the one he was scoring 9 goals a game in. A LOT of people in the Rocky Mountain west are St. Louis Cardinal fans bc for reasons having to do with strong AM radio stations ("Flamethrowers"?) and global magnetics, people in the rocky mountain west could pick up St. Louis Cardnial games with Jack Buck on the radio, for decades. A lot of the older guys in Idaho used to tell me.
                              Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
                              Mark Twain.

Comment

• ZagLawGrad
                                Zag for Life
                                • Nov 2008

DZ-----Fortunately (or not), your "goal" or my goal, or anyone's goal other than this team's goal---is meaningless. Not one player on the team wanted anything less than going undefeated. Would have been weak for them to want otherwise. But now we get to see what they do with that loss in the long run.
                                "The best players will play. That's the way it will always be." Larry Bird

Comment

Working...
                                X