Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Never Want to Lose/ But Never Want Undefeated Again

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I can’t believe no one has mentioned Juan Marichal
    One of those games I referenced above (at Candlestick) was Koufax v Marichal. A couple pretty good ones right there.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    One of those games I referenced above (at Candlestick) was Koufax v Marichal. A couple pretty good ones right there.
    Indeed a very good hurler vs the GOAT.

its comforting to know Im not the only old timer on this board, with fond sports memories,
    in center field bleachers at Candlestick Park, which were mostly devoid of fans, a deep fly ball
    to center came toward me sitting on the front row. I was probably 13 yrs old, I leaned over the
    railing, reached down and the ball was probably bout 3 ft lower than my mitt. There was a groan
    from the crowd. Thats the most response I have ever had in my whole life from a large crowd.
    DZ i am with you about a loss can help us win a championship.
    bartruff, thats about the most amazing story i can imagine, someone with aviophobia rides the
    train across the whole country, and gets killed by a plane crashing into his train. In a B grade movie
    or novel that would be lousy writing.
    I have two newspaper clippings. A person carrying a small box of dynamite on his farm and got hit
    by lightning, which vaporized him.
    A guy sleeping on his back was awakened, he thought, by a home intruder, quietly aimed his pistol
    waiting for a shape to move, and shot his penis

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    I can’t believe no one has mentioned Juan Marichal
    The one game I wished I had seen in person was July 2, 1963. Willie Mays hit a home run in the bottom of the 16th inning to win the game 1-0. The two starters, Warren Spahn and Juan Marichal, both pitched complete games.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Indeed a very good hurler vs the GOAT.
    Remember when Koufax threw a 205 pitches to win a 3-2 13-inning complete game against the Cubs in the early 60s. It was the last Dodger game at the LA Coliseum, and the Cubs had three future HOFers in Ashburn, Billy Williams and Ernie Banks.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Remember when Koufax threw a 205 pitches to win a 3-2 13-inning complete game against the Cubs in the early 60s. It was the last Dodger game at the LA Coliseum, and the Cubs had three future HOFers in Ashburn, Billy Williams and Ernie Banks.
    And the Cub pitcher was great, too. Name escapes.

At a conference I asked George Will who he though best pitcher ever was, and he said, hearing your accent you expect me to say Sandy Koufax. Brought down the house.

1957. The card and I are the same age.

Sent via mobile device

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post

1957. The card and I are the same age.

Sent via mobile device
    WOW!!

That's a New York Giants Polo Grounds card. Don't see many of those around.

ZagsgoZags....I lied about the plane crash......but Jacky was a great athlete but he was finite and he never worked or blamed the umpires .... and he did think that Sandy was simply the best...... after a couple fast balls that changeup would make you look foolish....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-29-2021 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    You know that wouldn't be enough for the Blue Bloods.
    A truer statement you have never made. Here in Kentucky they are so jealous that they can't stand it. Over and over the Zags don't play anyone and are overrated, and choke every year in the ncaa tournament, and the WCC is the worst conference in the country. I don't guess they can see how stupid that makes them look.

I had a signed copy of Willie's eponymously titled biography that my dad acquired from Say Hey Kid himself at a game we attended in SF. Years ago, my newlywed wife tossed it to donation, not knowing its significance.

It's probably sitting on someone's bookshelf somewhere. Can't imagine how much it's worth today.