Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 28

Thread: GU-Duke pregame media coverage

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    4,214

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,733

    Default

    Those wins, all by double-digit margins over Army West Point, Campbell, Gardner-Webb, Lafayette and The Citadel, presented the Blue Devils with different challenges. Sometimes it was facing a zone defense. Other times it was using a smaller lineup to contest a team that put five ballhandlers on the court.

    Read more at: https://www.charlotteobserver.com/la...#storylink=cpy
    What do they do to match up against 5 ball handlers when one of which is 6’10” and another is 7’0”?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Snorkeling the Washougal River
    Posts
    3,021

    Red face Good "Reads"

    The "fansided" author's loathing of Drew's post-bucket antics was pretty funny.



    :]
    Yeah, we're "The Champs," uh-huh!

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    4 miles from MAC
    Posts
    4,214

    Default

    Fansided quote: I want to see Banchero dominate Timme so that we don’t have to watch Timme’s obnoxious celebrations.

    If Timme played at Duke the Fansided author would refer to these as celebrations period!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kiddwell View Post
    The "fansided" author's loathing of Drew's post-bucket antics was pretty funny.



    :]
    Another gem from this article:

    Mark Williams has struggled to defend bigs who extend out the perimeter this season. But if I’m Duke, I would still be comfortable with Holmgren taking shots from the outside. He is 5-for-13 beyond the arc this season.
    That’s a 58% effective FG percentage. His overall effective FG% is 77.4, so I think I understand what he’s trying to say— that you’d rather him beat you from outside— but the there might be a better way to make your point.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    Fansided quote: I want to see Banchero dominate Timme so that we don’t have to watch Timme’s obnoxious celebrations.

    If Timme played at Duke the Fansided author would refer to these as celebrations period!
    If Timme played at Duke, many of our fans would not like his celebrations too.


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Kispert eventually toned down on the arm flexing, maybe Tims will spot his celebrations more sparingly.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    906

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Kispert eventually toned down on the arm flexing, maybe Tims will spot his celebrations more sparingly.
    Recent Timme quote:

    "I always have fun when I play," Timme said. "It's a joy to play this game."

    He has more fun that you, me, or most when playing (maybe living to). He only has 4 yrs to get away with this stuff...enjoy it while it lasts

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    309

    Default

    This is my favorite:

    Groinzaga is in for a rude awakening. Their drunk driving coach bragging about early season noncon games When they play elementary teams in conference all season. Showboating and poor sportsmanship from their players. Copying Duke- all the way down to the black unis. Every blue blood is rooting for Duke. The scags so desperately want attention They're about to get it!
    Another one disputes whether GU has a great program:

    Until the Zags win a national championship they are just a good program, not Duke, not Villanova, not UVA, not Baylor.....win it and then they get champions stamped on their passport
    Not certain of the logic supporting that one.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Spokane
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    Another gem from this article:



    That’s a 58% effective FG percentage. His overall effective FG% is 77.4, so I think I understand what he’s trying to say— that you’d rather him beat you from outside— but the there might be a better way to make your point.
    I believe you ment to say 38.5% 3pt percentage and his overall shooting percentage is 71.4%...still a decent outside percentage. ��

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    309

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagcity View Post
    I believe you ment to say 38.5% 3pt percentage and his overall shooting percentage is 71.4%...still a decent outside percentage. ��
    Effective field goal percentage is different than field goal percentage. It takes into consideration the additional difficulty of three-point shots and the extra points awarded for making a three-pointer.

    Using the eFG% calculator, Holgrem's is 77.38%, while his overall field goal percentage is about 71%.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    5,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zagcity View Post
    I believe you ment to say 38.5% 3pt percentage and his overall shooting percentage is 71.4%...still a decent outside percentage. ��
    58% if those 3’s were two point shots (5/13 from the from the article is 15 points, which would be 7.5 2-point field goals). The other number was pulled from a website. I’m not surprised I got the terminology wrong. Thanks for pointing this out so it can be corrected.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Spokane
    Posts
    478

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Effective field goal percentage is different than field goal percentage. It takes into consideration the additional difficulty of three-point shots and the extra points awarded for making a three-pointer.

    Using the eFG% calculator, Holgrem's is 77.38%, while his overall field goal percentage is about 71%.
    Ah, still very worthy

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2021
    Posts
    56

    Default

    Need Zag fans to get LOUD and stay LOUD at T-Mobile !!
    Coach K wants Maui revenge and he certainly isn't happy Zags are #1.
    (wonder why my Purdue friends are all pulling for the Zags ??? :-) )
    Fingers crossed Zags have a fast start.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    Wondering if Zags playing their 3rd game in this venue as opposed to Duke playing their first is a big advantage for the Zags. I would think yes, absolutely, as Zag players and long ball shooters in particular get more comfortable & confident shooting in this gym.

    As much as pundits talk about Duke’s size and how both teams are playing an opponent who can match their size pretty much across the board for the first time this season, I gotta think Zags bigs competing against Kaden Perry and Ben Gregg in practice every day is giving them reps vs tougher D than Duke’s backups give their starters…..and as I type that I’m thinking how awesome it is that this is a reasonable conclusion: Gonzaga U has better depth of talent than Duke or damn near any team in the country.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Game is 10:30 eastern which makes no sense as Duke is a huge pull in the East and this is a big game nationwide. Black Friday is always a weird TV sports day, but this takes the pumpkin pie, imo.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    I'm already fired up reading some of these comments. Beat the crud out of the dookies.
    America's Team!

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    not in Spokane
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Game is 10:30 eastern which makes no sense as Duke is a huge pull in the East and this is a big game nationwide. Black Friday is always a weird TV sports day, but this takes the pumpkin pie, imo.
    ESPN has some CFB game that starts at 7 eastern (NC State, I think), so that must be more important to them. Not sure I get that logic, but I gave up on trying to figure out ESPN years ago. As to Drew's antics, well, maybe Paolo can't grow any facial hair and he's jealous.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    ESPN has some CFB game that starts at 7 eastern (NC State, I think), so that must be more important to them. Not sure I get that logic, but I gave up on trying to figure out ESPN years ago. As to Drew's antics, well, maybe Paolo can't grow any facial hair and he's jealous.
    Agreed. A long day for us easterners.

    The "blue blood solidarity" narrative is hilarious, and a little odd frankly. Most of those fan bases loathe one another.

    All of the anti-Gonzaga points made are nonsensical save for one -- that we've not yet won a championship. People can reasonably disagree as to whether and how much that matters to be considered an elite program, but it's at least objectively true that we don't yet have one. Would love to put that point to rest.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    ESPN has some CFB game that starts at 7 eastern (NC State, I think), so that must be more important to them. Not sure I get that logic, but I gave up on trying to figure out ESPN years ago.
    Well obviously a intra-conference football game between <checks notes> 8-3 NC State and <looks again> 6-5 North Carolina to determine who is going to play in the Jimbo Bob Muffler Bowl or the Crypto.com Coin Bowl is going to take precedence over a top 5 College Hoops matchup on the East Coast that contains one current & one future hall of fame coach & multiple NBA lottery picks. That's just logic.
    Last edited by strikenowhere; 11-26-2021 at 06:53 AM.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gueastcoast View Post
    Agreed. A long day for us easterners.

    The "blue blood solidarity" narrative is hilarious, and a little odd frankly. Most of those fan bases loathe one another.

    All of the anti-Gonzaga points made are nonsensical save for one -- that we've not yet won a championship. People can reasonably disagree as to whether and how much that matters to be considered an elite program, but it's at least objectively true that we don't yet have one. Would love to put that point to rest.
    Extra long day for this Easterner haha. Left the house at 3 am to head to RDU airport. Sitting at Minneapolis airport right now waiting on my connecting flight to Vegas. Fingers crossed that it’s not delayed! Can’t wait for tonight, just hope I don’t pass out during the game lol.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,975

    Default

    I remember Omar....and the reaction of Gonzaga fans...

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Idaho Falls, ID & Holly Ridge, NC
    Posts
    13

    Default

    “ I remember Omar....and the reaction of Gonzaga fans...”

    ??

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Just north of I-80
    Posts
    48,996

    Default

    Duke's "Game Notes". . .Page 9 of the pdf is a good write-up from The Athletic re: Duke's season to date

    LINK: https://gozags.com/documents/2021/11/25/Duke_Notes.pdf

    (From the GU Athletics website)

    Duke's 2021-22 Media Guide is here: https://goduke.com/documents/2021/10..._MBB_Guide.pdf

    Gonzaga's 2021-22 Media Guide is here: https://gozags.com/documents/2021/10/6/Record_Book.pdf

    Have a great day !

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Feb 2020
    Posts
    309

    Default

    The Citadel made 18 3-pt. baskets against Duke, and shot 52% from that line.

    Unfortunately, they lost by 25. Obviously, GU will have a much better defense.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •