Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WBB Travels to Hawaii for the Rainbow Wahine Showdown

I think this game for the first 3.5 quarters was one of, if not the, best games of the season.

The Lady Zags out-scored, out-shot, out-rebounded, out-blocked the Eastern Illinois Panthers. After the 1st quarter when the Zags ended up with a 10 point lead, the outcome of the game was not very much in doubt. While EIU got the lead down to 9 at half, the Lady Zags came out after halftime and added 10 points to the lead. The lead fluctuated between the high-teens and low-twentys the rest of the way.

Defensively, it appears the only thing the Zags did not do too well was stay tight to the 3-point shooters, letting a 25% (season average) long range shooting team shoot 10-22 or 45.5%. Offensively, the lady zags only shot 50% from the free throw line (only shot 10 free throws all game) and only scored 11 points in the 2nd quarter after scoring 23 points in the 1st and 27 points in the 3rd quarter. The team cannot continue to have that kind of drop off as it nullifies the great start the Lady Zags have had in most games this year.

A couple of other offensive issues that plagued Gonzaga today I am not too concerned about. Both issues, the lack of scoring in the last 5 minutes of the game and the 15 turnovers were primarily due to the same cause. With K-11 out due to an injury, Coach Fortier (CLF) pulled both K-14 and CW as well as AO in the last 5 minutes of the game, so our Lady Zags were operating without a true point guard. MW and BS simply do not have the ball handling skills (at this time) and knowledge of the offense to effective lead the Gonzaga attack. BS had a couple of turnovers, MW had a turnover, MH had a couple of turnovers, all in the last 5 minutes. If we had K-14 or CW in the game running the offense, most of those turnovers would not have occurred in the last 5 minutes. The good news was that the Lady Zags scored 13 points in the first 4.5 minutes, and if CLF had not pulled our starting guards, we would likely have had another 20 point quarter.

The only bad news was the knee injury to K-11 due to friendly fire, she collided with Melody and collapsed on the court. Craig Fortier said everything looked and felt solid and the crutches and brace were due to an overabundance of caution. I would not expect to see K-11 tomorrow at all and I expect that she will be fully evaluated back here in Spokane. Based on past behavior, I would not expect to hear anything from the Lady Zags on K-11's condition. We will probably have to wait and look at the twinballerz twitter page or wait see next Thursday at the Wyoming game to see how K-11 looks.

Final game in Hawaii tomorrow against the home team, Hawaii Rainbow Wahine. A victory against Hawaii will give the tournament championship to the Lady Zags (another talking point during NCAA tournament selection). A loss to the Rainbow Wahine would result in a tournament championship shared either 2-ways or 3-ways depending on what happens in the Utah-Eastern Illinois game.

Let's wrap this up ladies.

Kayleigh, we got our fingers crossed for a great diagnosis.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

Great to see the “W”s...

Was down at the GU MBB game in LV.... over 22,000 at the game.
    Sad to hear you could hear crickets at the women’s games.

Didn’t hear about the women playing in Hawaii until after GU-Duke game had been announced
    Would have rather followed the women to Hawaii. LV is a joke anymore.

Finish strong GU WBB!!

Go Zags!!

Watched about half of the Utah-Hawaii game yesterday.

The officiating was a pure joke. They got about half of the calls right. The other half the clearly made the wrong call or made a call on a phantom foul. It is easy to see why Utah and GU shot 62 foul shots between them.

While Hawaii has some height, the players that play the majority of the minutes are smaller than their GU counterparts:

Amy Atwell: 6'0" Graduate Forward
    Nnenna Orji: 6'2" Freshman Forward
    McKenna Haire: 5'10" Graduate Guard
    Meilani McBee: 5'10" Freshman Guard (From Kennewick)
    Nae Nae Calhoun: 5'5" Sophomore Guard

The Backups that get the most playing time include:

Daejah Phillips: 5'10" Freshman Guard
    Maeve Donnelly: 6'5" Junior Center
    Kelsie Imai: 5'7" Freshman Guard

As a team, here are some statistics for Hawaii:

Hawaii shoots 40.2% overall, 31.2% from 3 and 70.3% from the charity stripe.
    Hawaii's Opposition shoot 43.6% overall, 36.8% from 3 and 70.5% from the free throw line.
    Rebounds: Hawaii gets 35.5 rpg while Hawaii's Opposition gets 37.7 rpg
    Assists: Hawaii gets 12.3 apg while Hawaii's Opposition gets 17.5 apg
    Turnovers: Hawaii has 20.0 t/o's per game while Hawaii's Opposition has 14.0 t/o's per game.
    Points off Turnovers: Hawaii gets 12.7 ppg while Hawaii's Opposition gets 25.0 ppg

In the portions of yesterday's game versus Utah that I watched, Nae Nae Calhoun appeared to be a good point guard that kept her eyes open downcourt and made some really nice passes. Most of the rest of Hawaii's offense was to have their players try to take the opposition one on one to the hoop and draw the foul. Hawaii played very physical and the refs let them while Utah was, for the most part, penalized if they played too physical.

This is a game the Lady Zags should win. Need to keep K-14 and CW out of foul trouble today and have at least one of them on the court most of the time to run the offense. As long as the Zags shoot decently, crash the boards (without fouling), and keep the self-inflicted turnovers down, they should pull out the victory.

Get the victory and bring the trophy back home to Spokane, Zags.

It's Zag Time, Ladies.

Remember game time is 4:30 this afternoon and the game is live streamed on ESPN+.

ZagDad

Utah had a huge 1st quarter--34-12--against Eastern Illinois today. Utes got outscored in every quarter after that but still won by 16. 93, got their scoring back up again. They had 3 freshmen combine for 47 points.

After the 1st quarter, Zags up 18-16.

Offense is not looking too bad. Defense had several lapses which led to easy lay-ups. Need to tighten up the defense and stop the ball handler.

Come on Zags, only 3 more quarters to go.

ZagDad

GU up 18-16 end of 1st. No scoring from Troung, Ejim or Walker. So, that's gotta be good, right?

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    GU up 18-16 end of 1st. No scoring from Troung, Ejim or Walker. So, that's gotta be good, right?
    18 points in the 1st quarter with your starting point guard sitting this one out is not bad.

Giving up 16 points is not so good.

ZagDad

At half, lady zags up 37-24.

Offense is a little disjointed, but Hawaii helped by letting the zags get into the bonus with 5 minutes to go.

Zags stepped up the "D" in the second quarter, looking more zag-like.

2 quarters to go Zags.

ZagDad

Stats at half:

Zags shooting 52% overall, 33.3% from 3 and 69.2% from the charity stripe.
    Hawaii shooting 37% overall, 33.3% from 3 and 16.7% (yep 1-6) from the free throw line.
    Zags winning the rebound battle 20-12.
    Zags losing the turnover battle 9-7.
    Points in the Paint, are even at 14.
    2nd chance points has the Zags up 4-1.
    Fastbreak points has Hawaii ahead 4-1.

Lady Zags need to cut down the turnovers and play the next two quarters just like the last one and they will be fine.

Offense comes and goes in spurts, particularly if K-14 and CW are both not in the game. A few times poor shot selection was made and a few bunnies were missed, but the Zags on pace for 74 points, so that is not too bad. Defense on pace for 48 points, which is very good against a team averaging over 70 points per game.

Let's go Zags,

ZagDad

Good news for the Lady Zag fans.

KayLeigh is sitting on the bench without any braces.

ZagDad

Lady Zags win 68-49.

Coach Fortier played with her rotations today. As postulated, K-11 did not play, but was sitting on the bench in street clothes without a brace. As expected, CLF played K-14 and CW more than usual to ensure there was some offensive continuity since K-11 was out. Both K-14 and CW played over 30 minutes today. Only AO, EH and MK played over 20 minutes while everybody, but EL, played over 10 minutes. EL only played 2 minutes. AV only played 13 minutes and YE only played 11 minutes. AV was getting very frustrated with the ref over foul calls on what appeared to be clean blocks. I think CLF just sat her down to cool off. YE, only had 3 fouls today, I don't know why CLF sat her, maybe just to get some time for the other rotations.

3rd quarter was very disjointed for both teams as the refs came out and practiced using their whistles. Neither team could get any rhythm going because of all of the foul calls. In the 4th quarter both teams had a bunch of uncontested lay-ups combined with several 3s. Gonzaga was a little more effective and stretched their lead by 4 in the 4th quarter.

Abbey looked very good today putting up the 3s (3-4), hitting the stop and pop and driving the lane and passing out for wide open 3s. She looked like a totally different player today. She had 14 points (5-7 overall, 3-4 from 3, 1-2 from the charity stripe), 4 rebounds, 0 turnovers. Well done Ms. O'Conner. lucking forward to seeing you again in the kennel. The team actually looked pretty good all across the offensive spectrum. The Lady Zags only had 2 fast break points and 4 steals which is far below their average, but everything else looked pretty good.

Really the only negatives were the same ones the Lady Zags have had in past games; too many missed bunnies (MK, YE, EH and MH all contributed), too many turnovers (17 - with BS, MK and K-14 the biggest culprits) usually caused by making poor pass decisions, and the occasional defensive breakdowns leading to lay-ups for the opposition. Gonzaga and Hawaii had the same number of points in the paint, in a game which the Zags should have dominated. But giving up only 49 points is not too bad at all. Well done Ladies.

Zags shooting 47.2% overall, 42.9% from 3 and 70.6% from the charity strip.
    Hawaii shooting 39.1% overall, 25.0% from 3 and 62.5% from the free throw line.
    Zags winning the rebound battle 37-24.
    Zags losing the turnover battle 17-15.
    Points in the Paint, are even at 26.
    2nd chance points has the Zags up 10-1.
    Fastbreak points has Hawaii ahead 7-2.

Well done Lady Zags, both players and staff).

Have a safe flight back and we will see you on Friday in the Kennel.

ZagDad

The Rainbow Wahine All-Tournament Team:

Most Outstanding Player
    -Kaylynne Truong, Gonzaga

All-Tournament Team
    -Amy Atwell, Hawai'i
    -Melody Kempton, Gonzaga
    -Brynna Maxwell, Utah
    -Kennedy McQueen, Utah
    -Lariah Washington, EIU

Well done ladies, an honor that was well earned.

I thought Abbey O'Conner could also have made the All-Tournament team with the stats she put up.

ZagDad

Post Game Write-Ups on Today's Game versus Hawaii.

From University of Hawaii Athletic Dept. Link: https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/202...aga-69-49.aspx

From GoZags Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/28/w...aii-68-49.aspx

From Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-rainbow-wahi/

ZagDad

Default Hawaii tournament

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Great to see the “W”s...

Was down at the GU MBB game in LV.... over 22,000 at the game.
    Sad to hear you could hear crickets at the women’s games.

Didn’t hear about the women playing in Hawaii until after GU-Duke game had been announced
    Would have rather followed the women to Hawaii. LV is a joke anymore.

Finish strong GU WBB!!

Go Zags!!
    We booked flights to Hawaii a few weeks ago. But when we tried to get game tickets we were told they weren't going to allow spectators. The Zags ticket office confirmed that tickets were not available. So we canceled our flights (and lost my yearly companion fare). And then I hear Steve M talk about fans at the game... When I revisited the Hawaii website, now they have similar COVID restrictions in place but tickets for sale.
    It would have been a great mini vacation. We've hit some CA games in the past. It's great to see our ladies play away games and support them. It'd be nice if GU helped fans with more information on how to obtain tickets at other venues!
    Anybody know more about this??

Great Tourney Ladies!!
    But we don't play nobody.

Well, alright! Time for a post-holiday re-evaluation of this group. It was said preseason that the team needed to rev up the defense to counter the loss of three scoring stars from last year. How's that worked out? Way better than expected. Giving up only 55 ppg as a defensive average is gonna put a lot of W's on any ledger. Putting up 71 ppg and outscoring opponents by 15 a game is an unexpected surprise & is getting folks' attention (though, unfortunately, not the media clowns voting in the polls). So what's the secret? Not that hard to see it's a hustling, scrambling kind of team play, especially on defense. Add in Abby and Ciera's resurgent contributions of a combined 25 plus points per game and the Zags look like a team steadily on the uptrend.

An apology is warranted by some of us to coach Fortier & her staff (ME & the rest know who you are) for sticking w/Abby through her struggles while we yelped about it. Ana Maria, while not a key player, has shown she can be a valuable contributor. And that's what we're seeing game by game: The melding of a group of valuable contributors. Can't wait until Bree finally figures out where she fits in. Love seeing Ciera assume a senior leadership role. Playing time will sort itself out even as the W's stack up. Bottom line: Unlike last year we have no stars, but instead, a bunch of moderately talented, earnest, hard-trying players willing to sublimate individual laurels for team success. What's not to like?

An apology is warranted by some of us to coach Fortier & her staff (ME & the rest know who you are) for sticking w/Abby through her struggles while we yelped about it.
    That would be me and I have my apology statement prepared ready for publication. Abbey and Cierra showed senior leadership and confidence in this weekend's games that has not been consistently present since they stepped on campus. This past weekend, both young women performed at the levels I am sure CLF expected when she offered them scholarships. They played fantastically, demonstrated skills that, until this weekend, had been absent. I look forward to seeing them in the Kennel on Friday.

However, I am going to wait to issue my apology for a couple of reasons.

First, 3 games, does not make a season. Let's see if they continue to perform in the Kennel like they did on the island or do they revert back to their previous level of performance. They obviously have the ability and capability, let's see it in the Kennel.

Secondly, the significant improvement of both AO and CW, which was unexpected (by some of us) Congratulations Skip, it does not absolve CLF from not making in game changes that would improve the Lady Zags chances of winning. Even the best of players have good games and have bad games, it is one of the coach's jobs to put the team on the court, that day, which gives the team the best chance of winning. IMO you do not put a game on the line hoping one of your seniors is going to pick it up in the 4th quarter when they haven't all day.

ZagDad

Why I like senior players…. (Not my age)

Here’s what I see with our seniors…

MK has been part of the team and part of the rotate for a couple of years… she know the program well and what is expected of her.

This is CW’s third year in the program and second year as a starter and needs to be as well as MK, the leaders of the team.

AO came to the team last year…. She had to learn the program, the players and a new position. Then with the free year she was put into the rotation cold turkey. And she has handled it well. Now her roll as a senior has changed and I’m happy for her that she is starting to get control of it. I really think shooting, like any other player, will have down day off and on. But watching her form and shot…. Looked really good in Hawaii. Need to turn the humidity up in the MAC.

AV…has had three years in the program and it has been a challenge. She had the Wirths in front of her and her time on the court was limited to spot playing. As time goes on she will get better. (Her blocks were done well in Hawaii and sadly badly called).

I like what CLF is doing as far as getting players on the court….would like to see more of EL…. This is the time to get the team playing as a team.

Right now the team is one win ahead of where I thought they would be.

Keep the peddle to the metal… (trucker talk)

Go Zags!!

Highlights of the game against Hawaii are up on the Lady Zag facebook and twitter pages.

If you did not get a chance to watch the much improved Abbey and Cierra as well as the improved Eliza and McKayla, take a look at the highlights, you will have reason to be positive about the rest of this season.

Facebook Link: https://www.facebook.com/ZagWBB/videos/271727338333199

Twitter Link: https://twitter.com/ZagWBB

Looking forward to Friday against Wyoming.

ZagDad

Way better than expected. Giving up only 55 ppg as a defensive average is gonna put a lot of W's on any ledger. Putting up 71 ppg and outscoring opponents by 15 a game is an unexpected surprise & is getting folks' attention (though, unfortunately, not the media clowns voting in the polls). So what's the secret? Not that hard to see it's a hustling, scrambling kind of team play, especially on defense. Add in Abby and Ciera's resurgent contributions of a combined 25 plus points per game and the Zags look like a team steadily on the uptrend.
    I will do a complete review at the conclusion of the OOC schedule games, but Upan8th's quote above perked my interest. How does this year's team (yes I know it only has been 7 games) match up versus last year's Lady Zag Wbb team (entire year).

Points Per Game: This year = 71.6, Last year = 71.0
    Points Allowed to Opposition: This year=55.0, Last year=55.2
    Scoring Margin: This year = 16.6, Last year=15.8

Rebounds per Game: This year=40.1, Last year=39.8
    Rebounds per Game Allowed to Opposition: This Year=27.0, Last year=26.0
    Rebounding Margin: This Year=13.1, Last year=13.8

Turnovers per Game: This year=15.1, Last year=14.9
    Turnovers per Game by Opposition: This year=13.7, Last year=15.1
    Turnover Margin: This Year=-1.4, Last Year=0.2
    Points off Turnovers: This year=16.3, Last year=17.4

Steals per Game: This year=7.3, Last year=7.4
    Steals per Game by Opposition: This year=6.3, Last year=7.4

Blocks per Game: This year=3.6, Last year=2.9
    Blocks per Game by Opposition: This year=1.4, Last year=1.7

Since this team has only played 7 games so far, I think the potential ceiling on this team is much higher than many of us expected.

Off to a great start, let's hope everybody stays on the improvement track.

Go Zags,

ZagDad

So, last year at approximately the same time as today, GU was 5-2 & ranked 23d in the Coaches' poll. This week the team is 6-1 and got enough "others receiving" votes, to put them in the top 30. The stats ZD cites for the two team are strikingly similar. The main difference is that last year's squad was perceived to have more talent & more upside. And they did, but this 2021-22 group understands that, without the Wirth's & Jill T, they need to compete harder to get the same results. Would any of them, for example, start at BYU? But, so far, so good. I've always been drawn to scrappy, underrated, overachievers & these young women certainly seem to fit that mold.

I think a few could start for BYU….
    And I don’t think any of them are overachievers. GU WBB recruits great student athletes. They haven’t won a ton of games over the years with overachievers. If anything they have helped them achieve what they are capable of.

This years team is a lot like the team of a few years ago where we had a very strong rotation with Jill and Jen coming off the bench. A strong starting unit but more so, a very strong rotation. And they will need to improve… to where they need to be. It’s fun seeing them get better with the season.

Go Zags!!

Okay, Skip. Curious. Who starts for BYU?

Okay, Skip. Curious. Who starts for BYU?
    Me! Me! Me! Can I answer???

While BYU is loaded with experience, they really only have two (2) dominating players (Shaylee Gonzales and Paisley Harding) and one really good player with Laura Gustin. Nobody on GU would start over Gonzales and it would be tough to find any one person on the GU roster who is as complete a player as Harding. You can mix and match players that may be better at one facet of the game or another, but not a single player. So, I would say those two players would be a lock for BYU.

Laura Gustin is definitely a force underneath the basket but Melody is not far off her stats. I don't think I would take MK over Laura Gustin but YE may end up being a better player than both, but right now I would keep Gustin over MK.

Maria Albiero, I would take either Truong and maybe even Cierra over Maria and it really is not close.

Tegan Graham, if Abby plays like she played in Hawaii, I would take her over Tegan any day of the week. You may also include either Truong over Teagan. Teagan is taller and maybe a better rebounder, by both Truongs are much better ball handlers.

What do you think of those choices?

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 12-02-2021 at 01:21 PM.

19 players on their roster with pretty much the same starting unit… looks like every player was given the free year.
    That being said… lets see how things go when we play them.
    Think of what our team would have looked like if we chose to do the same… and yet our returning starters are guards.

Go Zags!!