Thread: Lady Zags Kneeling During National Anthem

Default Lady Zags Kneeling During National Anthem

In another thread, the issue of the Lady Zags kneeling during the National Anthem (picture posted by the Spokesman-Review) was raised and it has been a very hot topic on the Lady Zag facebook page. Our very own SkipZag asked me specifically how I "knew" what the Lady Zags were protesting.

In yesterday's Spokesman-Review, there was an article published which made it very clear what the Gonzaga WBB players and staff meant by their kneeling during the National Anthem.

From the Spokesman-Review:

GU women’s basketball players jeered by some fans for kneeling during national anthem
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

The Gonzaga women basketball players endured some tough calls during Sunday’s narrow loss to Stanford.

But perhaps the harshest came from a few of their own fans, who yelled and heckled while several players knelt during the singing of the Star Spangled Banner.

After the game, Coach Lisa Fortier said she was “a little bit disappointed in some of our fans.”

“We love our veterans, we love our military, we are in good support of that,” Fortier said. “It has nothing to do with hating our country.”

The practice of kneeling before athletic events goes back to 2016, when NFL quarterback Colin Kaepernick did so to protest racial injustice and police brutality.

The issue caught the nation’s attention again in the spring of 2020, following the death of George Floyd in police custody.

As the protests spread to Spokane that summer, Fortier joined them.

“It told me that what I’ve done to be supportive hasn’t been enough to move the needle to support Black athletes, their families and their dreams,” Fortier said at the time. “That’s something I can do to show support, to peacefully protest the racism that exists in our society.”
    You can read the entire article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...y-some-fans-f/

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post
    In another thread, the issue of the Lady Zags kneeling during the National Anthem (picture posted by the Spokesman-Review) was raised and it has been a very hot topic on the Lady Zag facebook page. Our very own SkipZag asked me specifically how I "knew" what the Lady Zags were protesting.

In yesterday's Spokesman-Review, there was an article published which made it very clear what the Gonzaga WBB players and staff meant by their kneeling during the National Anthem.

From the Spokesman-Review:

You can read the entire article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...y-some-fans-f/

ZagDad
    And no one notices the glaring fact that the team is mainly white. No black assistants at all. Do as I say not as I do comes to mind. Fortier should be called out on diversifying the recruiting more which I fully support. Would like to see a black assistant too. The rest is just double speak and she knows it.

Default Who should Lisa Fortier fire ????

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    And no one notices the glaring fact that the team is mainly white. No black assistants at all. Do as I say not as I do comes to mind. Fortier should be called out on diversifying the recruiting more which I fully support. Would like to see a black assistant too. The rest is just double speak and she knows it.
    The coaching staff has been intact since 2014. Who should Lisa fire in order to diversify the coaching staff?

The same thing was said about Mark Few and the Men's basketball program. And at that point his staff had been intact with no turnover for years (before Billy ... then Leon left). When Billy left Mark hired Ray. Then Donnie got hired.

So I ask ... who should Lisa fire from her staff?

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by northwest1 View Post
    This is a little disingenuous. As GoZags noted above, the coaching staff has been intact since Lisa took over the program. There has been no assistant coach leave to have an open position to fill. As GoZags asked, who should Lisa fire to open a spot to diversify her coaching staff?

In the positions of Director of Basketball Operations and Video Coordinator, Fortier has hired a diverse group in these positions. The current director of basketball operations is Alexandria Young, a person of color. In past Nneka Enemkpali, a person of color worked for Fortier as video coordinator for 2 years. She left to be an assistant coach for UC Santa Barbara where after 2 years she left last year for an assistant coaching position at UNLV. She is currently an assistant coach at the University of Southern California. Amanda Brown, a person of Asian descent, worked on the Fortier staff as Director of Operations for two years where upon she left for an assistant coaching position at Pacific University. Not to bad for a coach entering just her 8th year as a head coach.

So Northwest1, do you know something more about who and how Coach Fortier and her staff recruit than do the rest of us? Do you know that she is not recruiting minorities? You cannot make a student come to a relatively small university that is 70% white located in a mid-size town where the minority population hovers around 10% and plays in the West Coast Conference. All Coach Fortier can do is recruit and offer scholarships to new recruits, she can't make them come here.

The current roster is the most diverse roster ever under Coach Fortier. The current roster has three (3) ladies of color and 2 ladies of Asian descent or approximately 1/3 of the roster is currently occupied by non-Caucasian young women. While maybe not in line with the percentages of minorities in the WNBA, it is significantly far greater than the percentages of minorities in Spokane and almost aligns identically to the racial demographics at Gonzaga for the undergraduate student body.

Exactly, what would make you happy Northwest1 if you think Coach Fortier is full of double speak.

ZagDad

Nice cover Zagdad84. I see the 'topic' like most POLITICAL TOPICS THESE DAYS, goes awry and far a field!

Knowing the 'individual' who started this "offensive gesture to the Military and the men and women in Blue" ... why's wherefore' etc. He was solely out for himself and it didn't go well, until he got a "handler"..... He had made lots of money, but hadn't given a dime to this cause! But let's take LFC (I can't remember how you designate Lisa from a current player?) ... I believe as most of your fans do, she is an excellent Coach, needing maybe a run or to into the NCAA tourney, to place her mark as a Great Coach. If she can with stand the challenges of this WCC race... she will have placed her name at the Top of the Conference for some time to come.

She is a BASKETBALL COACH. I tune in every game to see her usually well disciplined and coached team fight for every loose ball, basket, etc. with 'Grace". Black, Brown, white, yellow, pink... I do not see or expect anyone see's their "color". They are competing at the top levels of NCAA women's basketball.

So, let's say Lisa, decides to 'honor our young men and women' who have fallen in battle before a game. She sings the National Anthem in Half-Black face! Should anyone be upset??? Her "intentions" are Quite noble. Let's not let this get away from the "venue"... its BASKETBALL.

Now if Lisa wants her team to help out at 'soup kitchens' as part of their routine, fine with me. Show some video of their efforts before the game. I do not pay to see movies of Hollywood Stars "political points of view" Likewise for 19+ year olds political points of view! At the ripe old age of 21 I cast my first ballot for the worst racist, and womanizer on this planet, namely LBJ. Go get his speech in 1964-5, on the very Act that was supposed to free everyone! I did not know any better, mainly I was in College, saw very little TV and only caught the "ads of '1/2 truths'. I found out in the JOHNSON/MC NAMARA WAR ... anyone who had any clue to what was going on, knew they 'mismanaged the war from Wash. DC....... I love Sports to get away from POLITICS.

I saw most of the Stanford game and thought your team took it to STANFORD... I'm not the X's and O's guy you are, but this TEAM has great ability and promise, and quite a thrilling schedule ahead and BYU is loaded too. Cannot say the same for Pacific, but hopefully they will give some teams trouble if they can 'jell'.

In MY Humble OPINION, Lisa opened a 'can of worms' that had very little to do with her situation and that of her team. I played a lot of High School Athletics and some college. I always led by example ... I am not a 'touchy-feely' guy. To me, IF ONE wants to further race relations, simply stick to MARTIN LUTHER KING'S, life, speeches and his most famous speech! IT IS THE INTEGRITY of the person that counts, Not their COLOR! Respectfully, USAF, R-RET CAPT. J.R.D.

I just want to say that I fully support the Lady Zags and the coaching staff. Having grown up in the 60s, and after watching less than peaceful protests in the past couple of years, I'm heartened to see peaceful protest. The thing about protest is that it inherently is not popular with everyone. If it was, it would be unnecessary.

So, having said that, I'm signing off this forum. The negativity has become overwhelming and the majority of our prior posters seem to have left. I appreciate the basketball knowledge of all of you, but I'm out.

IMO, the most, by far, dissrespectful thing done during the Wbb game with Stanford was the so-called patriots interrupting the National Anthem by yelling at the players forcing Claire Graham to start over.

Pot meet Kettle.

ZagDad