Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: GU vs Duke - Predictions/Thoughts/What you do hope to see

Also pre-Maui I believe our boys were intimidated by Duke. No longer the case IMO.

GU 90
    Duke 75

Therapist: "That seems somewhat fanciful, don't you think? Remember what we discussed?"
    Me: "Yes. That my decisions need to be based more on empirical evidence. On rational thoughts."
    Doc: "And so . . . ?"
    Me: "I watched the highlights of most of the Dookie's games. They've got a lot of problems defensively. Lots of backdoor layups, mixed up switches. Rim protection iffy. On offense, barely over 30% on treys. Gave up over 80 the other night to a height-challenged Citadel. That's a military academy in case you didn't know . . ."
    Doc: (sounding a little huffy) "I'm aware of the institution. And Duke, as well. They're respected the world over. It's this upstart little school from Seattle with the funny name that I haven't . . ."
    Me: "Spokane."
    Doc: "Whatever. Your prediction seems outlandish. What was it again? Please tell me you haven't bet on it. As you know, that's one of the reasons we're here conducting these sessions."
    Me: "97-72, Gonzaga. Like in zig-zag. And, yeah, I did. So, go ahead. Call me crazy. I only have to cover eight."

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Therapist: "That seems somewhat fanciful, don't you think? Remember what we discussed?"
    Me: "Yes. That my decisions need to be based more on empirical evidence. On rational thoughts."
    Doc: "And so . . . ?"
    Me: "I watched the highlights of most of the Dookie's games. They've got a lot of problems defensively. Lots of backdoor layups, mixed up switches. Rim protection iffy. On offense, barely over 30% on treys. Gave up over 80 the other night to a height-challenged Citadel. That's a military academy in case you didn't know . . ."
    Doc: (sounding a little huffy) "I'm aware of the institution. And Duke, as well. They're respected the world over. It's this upstart little school from Seattle with the funny name that I haven't . . ."
    Me: "Spokane."
    Doc: "Whatever. Your prediction seems outlandish. What was it again? Please tell me you haven't bet on it. As you know, that's one of the reasons we're here conducting these sessions."
    Me: "97-72, Gonzaga. Like in zig-zag. And, yeah, I did. So, go ahead. Call me crazy. I only have to cover eight."
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Gonzaga 83
    Duke 77.

Duke’s physicality will be a good test for the Zags. It will come down to physicality versus speed. We need our transition game to be working well.
    Love the Zags!!!

GU-82
    Duke-76

Duke hasn’t played anybody since Kentucky, which was 5 games ago, or something like that. I could see them playing tight and sloppy early on. If Duke isn’t careful it could be another game that GU wins in the first 10 minutes.

82-75 GU

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    I hope the Zags are reading or hearing about all the whining going on from UCLA's coach and fans about Bruins being sick and missing their starting center as if that somehow diminishes how good Gonzaga just played. Yes, of course, Bruins would give Zags a better game if they had their starting center playing and everyone was 100% healthy...but don't let that obscure the fact that Gonzaga once again has one of the all time great teams in college hoops this season.

Duke is this team's next opportunity to prove to themselves they are the best team in college ball and I hope they come out all kinds of fired up and put on another dominating display.

Zags 83
    Duke 77
    I like this score. Think it will be closer than most people tnink and the points will be a bit less too.

Zags 92-72

Go!! Zags!!!
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Game day!

Gonna pre game in downtown Vegs then hit up the Zag event. Still no tix, cheapest seats in hosue are are $499.

Black Friday!

It's been a fun 'Feast Week', hope it continues tonight.

Duke is another beast, even compared to Texas & UCLA. The latter comprise of college all stars. Duke has several, at least 3, current NBA lottery picks on roster. Possibly more if u consider they have the #1 class as well.

They also happen to be the 2nd biggest team in college hoops this season as well.

FIVE guys listed over 225lbs. They're hefty too.

They go 7'-foot, 255 and 6'10" 255 in the frontcourt. Again, haven't seen or dealt with that.

They have a mini Zion at guard, Keels. 6'5", 230.

Duke didn't play the most polished in their beatdown of Kentucky, but three things stood out about them...

Toughness
    Physicality
    Athleticism

Those are 3 areas that neither Texas OR UCLA exhibited much of vs us.

Andy Katz believes 1 of 4 teams will win the Natty...his Tier 1 teams: Duke, Kansas, Purdue, Gonzaga.

Duke is ranked #5. Our 3rd Top 5 team we've faced yet they are clearly the best, most talented team in college hoops this season, save GU & maybe Purdue. Kansas too yet still need that prove it win.

Anyway, officiating will be key vs Coach K & his minions. With the wrong refs Chets body defense and easy blocks could be called fouls, esp with the Duke influence...

Obviously their gameplan is to get Williams (7 footer) and Banchero to draw fouls on Timme & Chet. This will be from opening tip til halftime. Every play will be focused on going at them.

Most teams try and fail given the length, yet they have equal size.

Must play clean Defense.

Duke defends at a Physical level yet not the most fundamental one. We gotta take advantage of our skill.

Given the size, Timme will be key. Need a near repeat performance by Nemby. Sallis could be a factor in this one. And I'd let Perry bang around a bit as a change of pace to Chet.

I'd like to see Strawther play just like he did vs Bruins. Crash boards, play solid D slash...yet just not miss easy dunks/layups.

This will be a shot for shot type of game.

No 15-20 pt leads in this one, either way. Back n forth.

Officiating will be key. Foul trouble could arise.

Watson needs to get the heck out of his funk too. Will need him more than 5 mins. Goes up strong yet also tries to pitch ball in hoop.

Guys will need more "rest" in this game too.

Battle Royale. Hope our minds are focused. The guys are still instagram'ing their own highlights from Bruins game...including Nemby, Chet, et al, which brings back memories of last year's emotional UCLA win.

ZAGS 82 duke 68

Quote Originally Posted by JPW314159 View Post
    ZAGS 82 duke 68
    Liking this but at 80-68
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Zags 83
    Duke 79

GU 85-70.

I'd like to see another great start, just like against UCLA.
    Before the season started I was anticipating several losses, including this game. However, this Zag team is looking better than I had expected.

What do I hope to see? That is what the question asks. I hope to see Koach Rat-Face and Paolo Banstupido cry tears of defeat and despair for even agreeing to play this game. They could have scheduled a mid-major or a cupcake at Cameron. But no, they think they can hang with the big boys. As Paul Gleason said in "The Breakfast Club"; don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns. Hope I don't have to eat those words tonite.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

I just hope the refs call a fair and even game. Go Zags!

Gonzaga 89

Duke 78

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    What do I hope to see? That is what the question asks. I hope to see Koach Rat-Face and Paolo Banstupido cry tears of defeat and despair for even agreeing to play this game. They could have scheduled a mid-major or a cupcake at Cameron. But no, they think they can hang with the big boys. As Paul Gleason said in "The Breakfast Club"; don't mess with the bull, you'll get the horns. Hope I don't have to eat those words tonite.
    I never understand the need for name calling but to each his own I guess
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Hoopaholic View Post
    I never understand the need for name calling but to each his own I guess
    Me either....I will give Coach K credit for playing the game....I suppose ESPN had something to do with that .......$$$$$$