Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 88

Thread: Gonzaga vs UCLA Post Game thoughts and analysis

  1. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The NBA sees Watson's potential......even as some experts in here don't......I think he is absolutely essential to the teams progress this year....as a big game experienced sixth man......
    If Anton was playing for UCLA last night, he could’ve played 40 minutes while being called for two fouls. Despite the disparity of calls in the second half, the Zags just kept chopping wood.

  2. #52
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    cave-in-rock,il
    Posts
    732

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I saw many Uclans driving into the paint and, while maybe not actually lowering a shoulder, bodying up the post and forcing the Zag to back up. Sometimes the Zag was called for a foul. I don't know that a Uclan ever was.
    Probably mostly into Holmgren, but also Timme and Watson.
    The refs tried to get ucla back into the game the second half, and that didn't even work. Higgins was one of those refs. If you remember, Higgins was the guy that kept the Rui Clarke team out of the final 4 against Texas Tech. I really hope he is not on the duke game.

  3. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    2,150

    Default

    I really loved the defensive intensity from GU in that first half. There was a brief period in the 2nd half where UCLA was getting every shot right under the basket (or foul shots with some of those whistles). It would be interesting to see this team play some zone with Chet in the middle just to be able to change things up.

  4. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,250

    Default

    Coach Self throws his team under the bus regularly, but the man has infinitely more charm and hardware that the UCLA crybaby.

  5. #55
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    West Seattle
    Posts
    1,091

    Default

    Agree with most posters in terms of what went right/what's "concerning." We no doubt dominated the first half with our intensity, aggressiveness, and confidence. Great to see us come out firing and executing. Absence of Cody Riley and UCLA's inability to buy a bucket helped. If we played them ten times and UCLA was had Riley and made a few more of those shots around the rim, I think we still win 8 out of 10 but with smaller margin.

    The second half gave us a preview of what can happen if we have to manage foul trouble to key players in a big game - scoring margin gets very close.

    The fact that we had to play through a lot of (questionable) contact is good conditioning for what we see in E8 and subsequent rounds, but, c'mon man, too many calls/no calls in UCLA's favor. What conference(s) did last night's referees come from?

  6. #56
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    Dear Coach Cronin: Sorry about Cody Riley being injured and not being able to play. It sucks when one of your players is hurt and not able to contribute. We feel your pain. Signed, Dom Harris

  7. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    sierra foothills
    Posts
    14,399

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    One of my “memberships” allows me to read the UCLA 247 sports “Premium” board. It is amazing …. The number of Bruin fans that are blaming the refs for last night’s outcome. Not only during their “game thread” but this morning.

    Amazing.
    I thought calls went the Zags way in the 1st half vs. both Texas and UCLA, or at least not obviously against them, and not in the 2nd half of both, like 180. Reminded me of the WCC and how we've all seen them call Zag games for yeeeears. Interesting

  8. #58
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Posts
    106

    Default

    Wow, that was a total beatdown. I haven't seen a college player like Chet Holmgren since Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant. I'm sure I am missing a few guys that were just as good but that's who immediately pops into my head watching Holmgren. Different skillsets of course, but in terms of height and pure ability, it's unreal. Just like the Texas game, his presence really caused UCLA to shift their offense around. Nembhard was having a field day. UCLA wasn't ready at all.

    The Duke game is going to be very interesting.

  9. #59
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ET2021 View Post
    Wow, that was a total beatdown. I haven't seen a college player like Chet Holmgren since Michael Beasley or Kevin Durant. I'm sure I am missing a few guys that were just as good but that's who immediately pops into my head watching Holmgren. Different skillsets of course, but in terms of height and pure ability, it's unreal. Just like the Texas game, his presence really caused UCLA to shift their offense around. Nembhard was having a field day. UCLA wasn't ready at all.

    The Duke game is going to be very interesting.
    Yup.
    Its one thing to have the guy coverng you block your shot....its another to have the guy BEHIND the guy covering you do it. He changes the game...you know hes effective when the Ucla guards resort to 10 head fakes before each shot....surprised Juzang was as quietl as he was. ON to Duke.

  10. #60
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The NBA sees Watson's potential......even as some experts in here don't......I think he is absolutely essential to the teams progress this year....as a big game experienced sixth man......
    If this is in reference to the announcers mentioning the NBA interest in "Watson" -- you have the wrong person and team.

    UCLA has a 5* projected first round pick named Peyton Watson.

    Anton Watson saw fewer minutes than Kaden Perry last night.

    4 fouls, 0 points, 5 minutes.

  11. #61
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,250

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    If this is in reference to the announcers mentioning the NBA interest in "Watson" -- you have the wrong person and team.

    UCLA has a 5* projected first round pick named Peyton Watson.

    Anton Watson saw fewer minutes than Kaden Perry last night.

    4 fouls, 0 points, 5 minutes.
    He impressed me even less. 16 minutes, 0-4.

  12. #62
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    1,708

    Default

    I think that whether Perry or Gregg plays is situational. If you need points Gregg will play. If you need banging Perry will play. What a luxury.
    If you want to be happy tomorrow, think good thoughts today--Bud Fisher


    .
    .

  13. #63
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StatZag View Post
    If this is in reference to the announcers mentioning the NBA interest in "Watson" -- you have the wrong person and team.

    UCLA has a 5* projected first round pick named Peyton Watson.

    Anton Watson saw fewer minutes than Kaden Perry last night.

    4 fouls, 0 points, 5 minutes.
    No I don't and that is not my source...Anton Watson from Gonzaga is often predicted to be taken in the mock drafts ... the Google is your friend

  14. #64
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    79

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    No I don't and that is not my source...Anton Watson from Gonzaga is often predicted to be drafted....

    This was discussed after last season.

    @ZagFanForLife was making the same claim you are now. He was unable to show any online draft projection or article which ever showed Watson as a predicted NBA draftee. Many relevant archived draft projections, including from Watson's first year pre-injury, are linked atop this page. He grew acrimonious when I simply asked for reference to support his claim that such projections had existed.

    http://guboards.spokesmanreview.com/...t=watson+draft

    You write that Anton is "often predicted to be drafted" - do you have a link to any such prediction in an article, mock draft, video, or podcast? I consume a lot of CBB content and have never come across such a prediction, but I certainly may be missing them! Apologies in advance for my skeptical posture if I am missing them.

  15. #65
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    I am not your secretary....nor do I give a fig what you think....nor do I feel any obligation to link anything.....I accept your apology....

  16. #66
    Join Date
    Dec 2020
    Posts
    118

    Default

    Yeah I don’t think anybody at this point sees Watson on any NBA draft boards lol

  17. #67
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    I found a hypothetical draft list on Google that listed him! To provide context, however, chet holmgren wasn't listed at all. I guess confirmation bias still possible regardless of accuracy
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

  18. #68

    Default

    Mark Few has the talent on this team and he is not squandering it. He's developing his Freshman talent and fast and the team is getting better the more experience they get.

    Theirs no doubt about it the Zags have the most talented team in the nation 1-10.

    Exciting times for Zag Fans.

  19. #69
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Mark Few has the talent on this team and he is not squandering it. He's developing his Freshman talent and fast and the team is getting better the more experience they get.

    Theirs no doubt about it the Zags have the most talented team in the nation 1-10.

    Exciting times for Zag Fans.
    +100.....and you can add PROGRAM to that too. What you have seen the last oh, 20 years or so is unprecedented in sports...ANY sport.

  20. #70
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,930

    Default

    I have trouble saying anything about Watson in this game. The refs did what they could to take Chet and Anton out of the game. Without them I think the refs thought that UCLA would make it a close game. 2 of the first 3 fouls on Anton were phantom calls and also CHet had one or two interesting calls on him. I would say that the coaching staff will see some of the same and will go from there. Antonwill learn from this game and we will all see the results. Both him and Chet will understand that games like this will happen and they have to stay away from fouls when possible.

  21. #71
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    The NBA sees Watson's potential......even as some experts in here don't......I think he is absolutely essential to the teams progress this year....as a big game experienced sixth man......
    Are you referring to the mock draft they were talking about last night? If you are, they were referring to Peyton Watson.
    Didn't see the other posts responding to this post before I posted, wasn't meaning to pile on.

  22. #72
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,973

    Default

    no

  23. #73
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    2,053

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am not your secretary....nor do I give a fig what you think....nor do I feel any obligation to link anything.....I accept your apology....
    I will never EVER walk on Bart's lawn....

  24. #74

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I am not your secretary....nor do I give a fig what you think....nor do I feel any obligation to link anything.....I accept your apology....
    Although most people would not get so defensive when asked to share ones source, your right, you are not our secretary. So I did my homework and found this.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpGtBnVZLSk

  25. #75
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Colville, Wa.
    Posts
    15,306

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    One of my “memberships” allows me to read the UCLA 247 sports “Premium” board. It is amazing …. The number of Bruin fans that are blaming the refs for last night’s outcome. Not only during their “game thread” but this morning.

    Amazing.
    GZ, recently got the prescription changed in my glasses & have been having problems with them. If your friends on the Bruin board are correct, then it is obvious I need to purchase a white cane right now & get my name on the waiting list for a guide dog!
    But we don't play nobody.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •