Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs UCLA Post Game thoughts and analysis

Three real possibilities... 1) Best point guard in college basketball
    2) POY in college basketball
    3) 1st pick in NBA draft

Not saying that all these things happen, however all three have a legitimate chance. The fact that its three diffrent players on the same team is mind blowing!

I'm still trying to process what I saw last night. Never expected a 20 point beat down when the line was only +7.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    I'm still trying to process what I saw last night. Never expected a 20 point beat down when the line was only +7.
    Alibi Cronin was clearly expecting it. Talk about sour grapes.

Man that was fun...well worth staying up past midnight despite having to work today.

I am so happy for Nembhard; Timme and Holmgren rightfully get tons of press but now folks gotta start appreciating that Gonzaga also sports one of if not the very best point guards in all of college basketball. I just love how calm and cool he always is. Can always count on Nembhard to play his best ball when the stakes are highest; he is just a stud.

Zags got dudes indeed! Strawther and Bolton were outstanding as well; when those two are hitting shots, particularly early in the game, that just flummoxes the opponent's defensive game plan right off the bat. Strawther was powerful on the boards too, which is huge for this team as he will have size/strength advantage over most wings trying to guard him. He didn't really have that vs Bruins yet dominated on the boards anyway...bodes well.

Hickman and Sallis may not have had mind blowing stats but the two true freshmen had zero turnovers between them with Hickman (16 minutes) being just so calm and confident with the ball. He had no trouble vs the press. Hunter had 2 pts, 3 rebounds and 1 assist in 10 minutes. Great game experience for these two.

Watson just had a weird game getting into early foul trouble; love the kid and am rooting for him but gotta say the 2nd (?) foul he committed was just so careless and unnecessary; Bruin corrals a defensive rebound and Watson just rakes him across the arms trying to grab it from him...seemed kind of indifferent about the foul too as if he could care less he did it. Pardon me, not fair speculating about players thinking process but Watson continues to baffle me. I hope he has a great game vs Duke and gets his confidence flowing again. Zags need him to be impactful to reach their goals this season.

I was surprised Few did not go to Perry immediately in the first half when both Watson and Holmgren had 2 fouls. I hope he or Gregg can do enough in practice to earn the role of automatic sub if/when our 3 bigs (Timme, Holmgren, Watson) get into early foul trouble. The cheat code to beating this Zags squad, if there is one, is to get Timme and Holmgren in foul trouble by pounding Zags inside. Gotta get some confident, dependable backup big minutes to counter that eventuality. College hoops has a lot of really good teams with big boy bigs in their lineups this season.

So excited for two days of anticipating Duke. Nothing would make me happier than to see the Zags give Coach K his first loss in his last season.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Continuing the depth conversation for big games................

Looking at the box score, although Coach went 9 deep, there were still only 7 guys (starters + Hickman & Sallis) with meaningful (10+) minutes tonight. Nemby played all 40 and Timme 39. That's too many..............

Now, some of Drew's 39 minutes can be attributed to Watson picking up a couple of phantom calls in the first half, but have to find a way to get Nemby and Timme a little more rest during the game. In big games like last night, Nemby is going to be on the floor for 35+ minutes and Timme 25+, barring foul trouble, but last night was extreme, especially when it was a complete, 40-minute beatdown. Maybe give either Hickman or Sallis a short run at the point in these games on either side of a TV timeout, just to give Nemby a blow.

Interesting that Coach went with Perry instead of Gregg as the 4th big, looks like the decision has been made for the big games. Not questioning it, just thought it was interesting given the circumstances. Thought Perry played well in his limited minutes.

Bring on Dook...............

Go ZAGS

Good for him, but Jaime’s play was almost farcical. He just bumped, jabbed and bulled his opponent multiple times until he shot. Every single time. I can’t imagine Few wasn’t roaring at the refs on that.

Quote Originally Posted by TacomaZAG View Post
    Continuing the depth conversation for big games................

Looking at the box score, although Coach went 9 deep, there were still only 7 guys (starters + Hickman & Sallis) with meaningful (10+) minutes tonight. Nemby played all 40 and Timme 39. That's too many..............

Now, some of Drew's 39 minutes can be attributed to Watson picking up a couple of phantom calls in the first half, but have to find a way to get Nemby and Timme a little more rest during the game. In big games like last night, Nemby is going to be on the floor for 35+ minutes and Timme 25+, barring foul trouble, but last night was extreme, especially when it was a complete, 40-minute beatdown. Maybe give either Hickman or Sallis a short run at the point in these games on either side of a TV timeout, just to give Nemby a blow.

Interesting that Coach went with Perry instead of Gregg as the 4th big, looks like the decision has been made for the big games. Not questioning it, just thought it was interesting given the circumstances. Thought Perry played well in his limited minutes.

Bring on Dook...............

Go ZAGS
    Perry & Gregg are real luxuries. 2 quality bigs with very different skill sets to back up your primary 3 big men.

Hate to be a drama queen but I think there may be trouble in Westwood .....not prudent in this day and age for a head coach to call out his best players by name for their lack of effort....the players today have huge ego's and a lot of options....

Cronin needs to win and win big at UCLA to recruit the best high school and transfer players....

Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    Perry & Gregg are real luxuries. 2 quality bigs with very different skill sets to back up your primary 3 big men.
    Agreed FZF, an embarrassment of riches.

Go ZAGS
    Last edited by TacomaZAG; 11-24-2021 at 08:21 AM.

I think Watson is a talented player. He contributes in so many ways each game that aren't in the stat sheet.

On the other hand, he sometimes reminds me of a golfer that has had too many lessons. Way too much on his mind of what to do and what not to do rather than simply visualizing the shot and swing. He needs to just play the game, and enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Good for him, but Jaime’s play was almost farcical. He just bumped, jabbed and bulled his opponent multiple times until he shot. Every single time. I can’t imagine Few wasn’t roaring at the refs on that.
    I saw many Uclans driving into the paint and, while maybe not actually lowering a shoulder, bodying up the post and forcing the Zag to back up. Sometimes the Zag was called for a foul. I don't know that a Uclan ever was.
    Probably mostly into Holmgren, but also Timme and Watson.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Amazing Chet's impact.

The moment he sits, teams begin attacking the rim like crazy

Texas did the same thing.

Kispert let Jacquez and Juzang get easy iso buckets last year yet guys like Strawther, Watson (in limited mins), Chet down low, Timme's better footwork, Sallis, et al really do a better job containing them

UCLA missed Cody Riley. Without him, they could not make a clear cut decision on who to guard in the paint

The game was a blast. More Bruins fans, yet GU faithful was loud. Even tho we had a 20 pt lead, intensity remained high

T Mobile Arena is a such a good venue. Music, lights, bars, seats, location on Strip, easy to get into & out of...

Duke in like 70 hrs...wow

Enjoying the ride

Nembhard took the keys to the car and showed the country his driving skills. So much fun to watch.

Chet showed his unicorn skills in sequence of block dribble behind back slam dunk to the country.

Timme told the country after his 37 point performance against Texas he had great teammates now they believe him.

Bolton Strawther Hickman Sallis played excellent in supporting roles. Perry provided important minutes off the bench.

Can’t wait to see Dooks game plan.

I want to give a shoutout to Timme because he hasn't gotten a whole lot of print here after this game. However, I thought that a lot of what opened up for Nembhard had to do with how UCLA guarded Timme. He was doubled and trippled teamed all night and he got beat up pretty badly inside by dirty UCLA play. Timme was soooo exhausted last night. Talk about a guy who gave it all. And he played really solid defense. I think his best defensive game ever. I could see that UCLA game plan was to double and tripple team Tille and make Nembhard and Bolton shoot from the outside. And that stategy backfired as our guards nailed one three after another in the first ten minutes of the game, and THAT completely destroyed UCLA'S confidence. That and the very very tough Zag defense. The Zags will no longer be called weak on defense. Not this year anyway.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    I think Watson is a talented player. He contributes in so many ways each game that aren't in the stat sheet.

On the other hand, he sometimes reminds me of a golfer that has had too many lessons. Way too much on his mind of what to do and what not to do rather than simply visualizing the shot and swing. He needs to just play the game, and enjoy it.
    Great analogy.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post

If he fixed his body language to a more aggressive/focused outlook, it might go a long way in whatever is holding him back (if anything).

It is not talent. He has that, and he plays vicious defense. Maybe if he carried himself more on the court like it, he'd find more confidence on the other end.

The refs should have self-immolated out of humiliation when the fouls were 9-0 in the second half in favor of the team losing by 20 in the ESPN match-up of the year. What was happening was obvious. Ref them back into the game, keep eyes glued.

People can disagree on whether they like Dickie V. as play by play, but there should be no disagreement in that he is one of the most beautiful souls.

Notice last night, he wanted the names and addresses of the kids holding the uniforms for him? He will send them something, guaranteed - that's Dickie V.

That is the same guy who, when a kid made a half-court shot for free tuition, said he would pay for the books. (Back when they bought books).

Dickie V. built nighly college basketball on ESPN through a style a lot of people hate but the success cannot be argued, what an amazing and beautiful man. He is ALWAYS thinking of others and donated so much money....to so many causes.

On the one hand, someone a bit stronger maybe should have done color and Vital special guest commentary. On the other hand, blowing out UCLA in 1 versus 2, and having Dickie V on the call? None of us live forever, that was pretty special.

As for on the floor, I was happy to see Chet rise to the moment. UCLA was clearly not going to let Timmie beat them, he proceeded to get the quietest 18 pts ever in college BB.

We will never win a NC without an elite top 5 PG in the country. We have one.

Duke is likely better than UCLA. I really hate saying this but Duke is better coached than UCLA which seemed to have no plan other than tackle Timmie and throw the ball around.

Cronin calling out his own players by name - whether warranted or not - is bush league. They are kids. You criticize yourself (he is largely responsible for how they played), and the team generally. I have no idea why Few likes him but there is not a lot about Cronin to like.

It would be awesome if SMC won the Maui.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

The NBA sees Watson's potential......even as some experts in here don't......I think he is absolutely essential to the teams progress this year....as a big game experienced sixth man......

Three things...

First, going to weigh in on Watson. The fouls on him were borderline made up calls. Seriously, there were times where he did absolutely nothing on the play and got whistled. But go back and watch him during the Central Michigan game. He showed unbelievable leadership in that game. He will be a team leader next year, no doubt in my mind.

Second, going back to those fouls... I cannot recall a single college basketball game where fouls were evenly distributed in the first half and then the 12 of the first 13 fouls called in the second half went against one team. It was like the refs were told at halftime that they need to help UCLA get back into the game and they were trying like hell to make it happen. When UCLA did nothing with the help, suddenly the fouls evened out. Loved the Bronx cheer from the Zag faithful when they finally called a second half foul on the Bruins

Third, Few went 8 deep at least in the first half, possibly 9. Don't think I have ever seen him do that. This team is scary deep.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

One thing I'm trying to comprehend is how UCLA took 19 more shot attempts than us but with only 6 more offensive rebounds. Granted we were far more efficient, particularly on 3 pt attempts. But UCLA attempted 50% more shots overall.

Kinda of strange

agreed with Reborn's analysis above on some Cronin stuff that backfired. other things he did backfired too, then to go after his players in the press...whatever, maybe it will work for him but a look in the mirror might help him too.

re. Perry/Gregg, just seems likely to me that at some key point(s) this season the whistles will blow, Chet and Drew will look around with palms up asking 'wtf?' while talking heads say something like 'what a great game plan to go after the Zags inside' or some other pitch to support what's happening, and Few and Co. will need someone to step up into that role and deliver for a key spell or 2 in the paint, on the boards, on D, from the FT line, whatever, as a BIG. So to me, whenever Gregg/Perry get run in true minutes and not just garbage time, it's Vital. Thought Perry did well in his opportunity when the zebras did their typical thing 2nd half (they don't even try to hide it anymore, so much money involved, just brazen jive imo, lol) so it's predictable, so need a plan or 2 knowing it's coming, my opinion

It may have been commented on earlier, but I felt it was huge that Gonzaga's intensity and performance right from the opening tip took the UCLA fans out of the game. UCLA was very well represented at the game, I think more fans than Gonzaga. Pre-game in the watering holes, they were very loud and pumped up for their team. They got quiet very fast when the Zags pounded out their big lead and I think there was only one second half mini-run where they got back on their feet to cheer, and even that was short lived.

It was a great game to watch, a great arena.

Now, BEAT DUKE!

Speaking of Timme, he kept grabbing his neck late in the game after UCLA landed on him.

Not sure if on camera or not, yet he was massaging it away from the play, in timeouts, and immediately post game.

Neck injuries usually become stiff the day after.

Hope ok

Remember when it was verboten to speak of gambling in sports on air…..now we have ESPN studio hosts (Seth Greenberg) picking teams based on spread. He took UCLA and the points. ) Times have really changed on that front.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Remember when it was verboten to speak of gambling in sports on air…..now we have ESPN studio hosts (Seth Greenberg) picking teams based on spread. He took UCLA and the points. ) Times have really changed on that front.
    It wasn’t that long ago that Roger Goodell wailed about the harm gambling would do to the NFL and its fans. My, his tune changed in a hurry.

One of my “memberships” allows me to read the UCLA 247 sports “Premium” board. It is amazing …. The number of Bruin fans that are blaming the refs for last night’s outcome. Not only during their “game thread” but this morning.

Amazing.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0