Thread: WCC KEN POM

Default WCC KEN POM

Don't look now but the WCC has 6 teams in the KenPom top 100. 5 teams in the top 75. 4 teams in the top 50. This can all change quickly as it's early in the year but still something of note that the conference is performing well.

Edit: Meant to say 6 teams in the top 100, not 8. Thanks GoZags.
    Last edited by Bouldin4Prez; 11-23-2021 at 08:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    Don't look now but the WCC has 8 teams in the KenPom top 100. 5 teams in the top 75. 4 teams in the top 50. This can all change quickly as it's early in the year but still something of note that the conference is performing well.
    I count 6 (which is still quite an accomplishment). Missing from the Top 100 are Pacific (158), San Diego (160), Pepperdine (202) and Portland (319).

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I count 6 (which is still quite an accomplishment). Missing from the Top 100 are Pacific (158), San Diego (160), Pepperdine (202) and Portland (319).
    I definitely meant to say 6! Thanks for catching that, my apologies.

Quote Originally Posted by Bouldin4Prez View Post
    I definitely meant to say 6! Thanks for catching that, my apologies.
    No harm, no foul. It's all good ... and 6 IS pretty cool. Loving "SCU"s contributions here and look forward to seeing the Bronco's play. I've always liked Sendek (at least from his NCSU days).

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    No harm, no foul. It's all good ... and 6 IS pretty cool. Loving "SCU"s contributions here and look forward to seeing the Bronco's play. I've always liked Sendek (at least from his NCSU days).
    According to my profile here, i've apparently been here in one shape or form since 2014... sadly, there's hasn't been much to say.

I'm a multi-generational WCCer and you just have to say, how fun is this?

USF playing Davidson in the Chase Center earlier this year gave me full "Big East of West Vibes" and triggered a long forgotten memory of SCU hosting Kansas at HP Pavillon so many years ago (early 2000s?) and beating UNC at Oracle...

Hoping for great times ahead for the league.

If we manage to get 3 into the top 25 that would be the first since... I really don't know when.

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post
    According to my profile here, i've apparently been here in one shape or form since 2014... sadly, there's hasn't been much to say.

USF playing Davidson in the Chase Center earlier this year gave me full "Big East of West Vibes" and triggered a long forgotten memory of SCU hosting Kansas at HP Pavillon so many years ago (early 2000s?) and beating UNC at Oracle...

If we manage to get 3 into the top 25 that would be the first since... I really don't know when.
    I don't think it has ever happened
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by SCU View Post

Welcome, Bronc. Sendek is a terrific coach. A coach’s coach. Great academics, you’re going places.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I don't think it has ever happened
    I took a relatively cursory look, but I agree.

Two is rare enough- GU and SMC or GU and BYU are the only possible combos in the last two decades, and then turn the page way back to the 50s and once in the early 70s when SCU and USF were ranked at the same time...

The database I was looking at doesn't include receiving votes... but this week's poll with two ranked, and one other receiving votes is rarified air.

Other useless tidbit- USD is the only WCC team to have never been ranked in the AP poll- though Pepperdine has only appeared in one poll ever.

I hope that a few of our other posters from the other WCC schools will chime in on this thread. We’ve heard from SCU. Zag fans are definitely cheering for Santa Clara and we’re excited to see how well your team is playing. We’re also excited to see how well USF and LMU are competing as well. BYU looks really tough. Good luck to the Gaels against the Ducks. It’s a good time to be a fan of the WCC.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    I hope that a few of our other posters from the other WCC schools will chime in on this thread. We’ve heard from SCU. Zag fans are definitely cheering for Santa Clara and we’re excited to see how well your team is playing. We’re also excited to see how well USF and LMU are competing as well. BYU looks really tough. Good luck to the Gaels against the Ducks. It’s a good time to be a fan of the WCC.
    I joined the GodIsAGael site today and wished them well vs Oregon tonight. Hope we see the WCC vanquish the PAC-12 foes on ESPN tonight.
    Last edited by GonzagasaurusFlex; 11-23-2021 at 03:01 PM.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Is God a Gael? I'm not sure but I hope he teaches the Ducks a lesson!

Feels like Cousey has been playing for like 8 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post
    Only 6
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Only 6
    Incredible. Good for him for using the rules to his full advantage.

did kenpom rank our conference among the other 33 (?) conferences. I think we are often between 8 and 11th. It would be so good for the zags to play a few ranked teams in Jan and Feb, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Kong-Kool-Aid View Post

It was 13 years. With the Celtics.
    But we don't play nobody.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    Pilots fan chiming in. From the UP fanbase at Pilot Nation, some Kenpom thoughts from resident guru DoubleDipper (pre-tonight's games):

At the beginning of the season, it was asked “how can KenPom rate a team that has all new players and coaches…isn’t it based upon statistics? And the answer was yes, it is statistically based, and it was widely believed that the statistics are NOT based on individuals, but on a team’s past performance.

From what I can determine, this year’s KenPom ratings are based upon historical data for each team going back to last season…but I do not know how far back it goes, nor do I know when the KenPom ratings will be based purely on this year’s play. Ten games, perhaps? Probably more, but I am just guessing.

The KenPom rankings have UP 10th in the WCC, 117 spots worse than the 9th place team, Pepperdine. But in my estimation, and based upon this season’s performances only, UP is better than both Pepperdine and Pacific, but still lagging San Diego.

KenPom ranks the WCC as the 7th strongest conference in the country, behind only the Power Six, and UP may still be last using statistics from this season and those from some part of last season, but the team is moving up.

KenPom rating changes since 11/10, the day after the first game of the season:

1 GU (0) 5-0
    27 BYU (+12) 4-0
    36 USF (-7) 6-0
    41 SMC (-1) 5-0
    73 SCU (+50) 5-0
    86 LMU (-5) 3-2
    158 UOP (-33) 2-3
    160 USD (-20) 3-2
    202 PU (-47) 2-4
    319 UP (+10) 4-1
    https://www.pilotnation.net/t6310-pi...11-23-tv#79555

I haven't really had the chance to watch the other WCC teams myself, but don't sleep on the Pilots this year. Such a fun team to watch, which I don't think anyone in Pilot Nation has said in a very long time. Legans hire was a steal.

I mean, you'll probably still kick our butts in the one conference game (and potentially again in the conference tournament), but the optimism is high enough that I think this season will be the end the long dismal streak of being in the cellar for once.
    SOUND VOLTEX EXCEED GEAR

伝説になんてならなくていい。It does not need to become a legend.
    常に新たな礎を作っていけばいい。It should always make new foundations.
    これからもずっと。Always.