Thread: Zags vs C. Michigan Postgame Thoughts & Analysis

Default Zags vs C. Michigan Postgame Thoughts & Analysis

Quick turnaround but let’s keep this thread tradition going!

Zags are on a business trip to Vegas indeed and left no room to doubt that with tonight’s performance. Hickman, Sallis, Strawther lead Zags in minutes w 26, 26, and 25 respectively and all the starters get a nice long rest in 2nd half. A perfect scenario w UCLA game less than 24 hrs after this one.

The Zags flow on offense is starting to show and the defensive intensity and focus continues to be top notch. Nothing to nitpick about this performance except free throw shooting and 3pt. Glad to see Zags already showing they know how to attack a zone cause that seems the obvious way for teams to try and slow them down.

Anyone else notice Holmgren’s big reveal of a Nowitski-esque turnaround step back jumper off the back foot. Unguardable at any level. Wowser!

ps Love Farnham’s idea to get Kispert, Ayayi and Suggs back during NBA All Star break for the proper sendoff from the fans they never got to have last season.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Allowed 22 points in the second half in a blowout. That's the proof in the pudding. Great to see.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Thanks for posting this thread. The whole team looked sharp in preperation for the game tonight. Everyone played really well.

Gonzaga 107
    Central Michigan 54

The score says it all/ But let me add that the reson the score was so high was because our bench is SOOO GOOD. Few put his bench players in with ten minutes to go in the game, and our bench destroyed Central Michigan's starters both offensively and defensively. Hickman had 16 points, Sallis had 8, Watson 7, and Perry 6. Hickman and Sallis played 26 minutes in this one. It's really good to see how bench play is improving so much. They score 46 points in this game. Yes 46 points by the bench. What we saw last night was TEAM CHEMISTRY and it's best.

Holmgren led the team in scoring with 19, Hickman with 16 followed by Strawther with15, Bolton with 11 and Timme with 11, I love watching Timme play in these blow out games because he is so unselfish and he becomes a passer, trying to help his teammates develop their offensive skills. He's about the best kind of leader I've seen in awhile.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Whatever system evanmiya.com uses to rate players sure loves Gonzaga players.

Holmgren & Timme are #1/2 in offensive rating, and Watson is #1 in defensive rating.

I thought the defense was the real showcase in that game. When Few pumped the brakes, instead of just holding the ball he almost seemed to challenge the players to shot-clock CM and they succeeded a couple times. There were times where the D was downright stifling.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

The Zags have always been good at breaking down a zone, but I noticed a new wrinkle. It may already be in the toolkit, but what I saw for the first time was Watson ducking into the post and sealing his guy, followed by a high-low pass from Holmgren from the middle. It was a very simple play but I liked it.

It’s very nice to have three bigs that are such good passers.

I’m glad the young guns got some extended run. Perry is a bit frenetic but I love to watch him fly around out there.

Hickman has a beautiful floater. He doesn’t look super fast but gets to his spots with aplomb.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    I thought the defense was the real showcase in that game. When Few pumped the brakes, instead of just holding the ball he almost seemed to challenge the players to shot-clock CM and they succeeded a couple times. There were times where the D was downright stifling.
    Agreed. I rewatched a number of CM possessions in disbelief as they switched and hustled around on D. I can't recall a time that GU played team defense like this.

I loved the run that the bench got. I am starting to be concerned with Sallis' offense. He MUST have been a scorer in HS, but his shots just haven't been dropping. I wonder if he will 'D' up on Juzang tonight, or if Few will put Chet on him, or someone else.
    I was amazed at how many 3 pt shots Chet stopped, just by being there. I also was sure that I saw several blocks by him that weren't credited to him.

Why was Strawther in the game later than the other starters?
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    I loved the run that the bench got. I am starting to be concerned with Sallis' offense. He MUST have been a scorer in HS, but his shots just haven't been dropping. I wonder if he will 'D' up on Juzang tonight, or if Few will put Chet on him, or someone else.
    I was amazed at how many 3 pt shots Chet stopped, just by being there. I also was sure that I saw several blocks by him that weren't credited to him.

Why was Strawther in the game later than the other starters?
    "Homecoming" game for Strawther

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    The Zags have always been good at breaking down a zone, but I noticed a new wrinkle. It may already be in the toolkit, but what I saw for the first time was Watson ducking into the post and sealing his guy, followed by a high-low pass from Holmgren from the middle. It was a very simple play but I liked it.

It’s very nice to have three bigs that are such good passers.

I’m glad the young guns got some extended run. Perry is a bit frenetic but I love to watch him fly around out there.

Hickman has a beautiful floater. He doesn’t look super fast but gets to his spots with aplomb.
    The high low to Watson with the seal has a promising look. Hickman looks BEAUTIFUL in just about everything he does on the floor, guess I shouldn't be surprised but WOW!

Thought Watson looked very, very good on both ends of the court. He definitely makes things happen on defense.

Watson was fantastic last night. He was not a "joke" last night. When I think who might be able to best neutralize and guard Juzang - Watson may be the best guy. Juzang is 6-6 and physical. Obviously Timme and nembhard aren't going to guard him. Strawther is not a great defensive player so i don't see that happening which leaves Holmgren and Bolton. If Holmgren guards him there will be a huge size difference which could be good but Holmgren will further away from the basket and not provide the rim protection that is needed and Juzang is quicker off the bounce than Holmgren is and maybe Holmgren gets into foul trouble. It's a risk having Chet guard him. That then leaves Bolton. He is good defensively but not elite like Watson is. I know Watson will come off the bench and not start but when he is in there he is best equipped to guard Juzang - otherwise I think Bolton is the best guy. Watson's defense will be very important tonight. Go Zags!!
    Love the Zags!!!

the offense and defense is looking more zag like to me every game now.
    the one thing I still see, that will be a lot less in Feb is taking bad shots.
    When driving into the paint, when traffic closes in front of you, change to plan B, rather than crash into them. Twice for Hunter, Twice for Anton, and once for Julian. One skill I brag about the zags to other people is how they get trained to stop taking bad shots at all. There is always passing out, backing out, or stopping. Also fake a pass, and take the shot from where you are. What you decide you will do to finish when 15-20 feet out is a plan that must always be ready to abandoned to plan B if you are a zag. I know this will come. Kaden and Gregg will also pick this up.
    otherwise we are looking good. Nice to see Sallis with 3 assists, and would love to see Strawther get at least one a game. Sallis plays closest to his high school self, which has to improve, so that he too is hanging his hat and his pride on what good passes he is making. I hope Few didn't play our starters too much.

Nolan Hickman has to be the most "Chill" freshman point guard that I have ever witnessed. I didn't see Stockman in his day, but I bet there is a comparison.
    "Neck-ties are just maxi pads for your throat." - Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
    the offense and defense is looking more zag like to me every game now.
    the one thing I still see, that will be a lot less in Feb is taking bad shots.
    When driving into the paint, when traffic closes in front of you, change to plan B, rather than crash into them. Twice for Hunter, Twice for Anton, and once for Julian. One skill I brag about the zags to other people is how they get trained to stop taking bad shots at all. There is always passing out, backing out, or stopping. Also fake a pass, and take the shot from where you are. What you decide you will do to finish when 15-20 feet out is a plan that must always be ready to abandoned to plan B if you are a zag. I know this will come. Kaden and Gregg will also pick this up.
    otherwise we are looking good. Nice to see Sallis with 3 assists, and would love to see Strawther get at least one a game. Sallis plays closest to his high school self, which has to improve, so that he too is hanging his hat and his pride on what good passes he is making. I hope Few didn't play our starters too much.
    Sallis reminds me of Dom from last year: oozing with gifts but only knows one speed. I’m guess it comes from being used to getting all the way to the rim at ease in high school. Hickman is the counter example of a guy who seems to set up his man and feel his way to where he wants to go, and he doesn’t need to get all the way to the rim on his drives to be an efficient scorer.

Strawther should be able to ride up and score over just about anybody, so he should be a minimalist with the dribble. I am happy with how his three point shot is looking, and that should open up some of the other stuff for him. His year of experience seems to have a made a difference in his shot selection and contributions off the ball (which is another reason I’m disappointed with Dom’s injury, although that probably helps Sallis out in the playing time department)

Right now Sallis only needs one speed. His energy and hustle have what has made him relevent this year. Next year when he is looked upon more, then he needs to be more under control. Right now his all out hustle adds something special to this team. Stay the same this year Sallis, and then slow down next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheOtherGreatOne View Post
    Right now Sallis only needs one speed. His energy and hustle have what has made him relevent this year. Next year when he is looked upon more, then he needs to be more under control. Right now his all out hustle adds something special to this team. Stay the same this year Sallis, and then slow down next year.
    That’s fair. If he slowed down there’d be talk about him being too tentative.

Holmgren: Holmgren is the only Division I player over the last 25 years to total at least 60 points, 15 assists, 15 blocks and shoot 70% from the field and free-throw line over any five-game span, according to Stats Perform.

Remarkably, he has done that over the first five games of his career.

Link:https://sports.yahoo.com/chet-holmgr...170014746.html

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post
    Watson was fantastic last night. He was not a "joke" last night. When I think who might be able to best neutralize and guard Juzang - Watson may be the best guy. Juzang is 6-6 and physical. Obviously Timme and nembhard aren't going to guard him. Strawther is not a great defensive player so i don't see that happening which leaves Holmgren and Bolton. If Holmgren guards him there will be a huge size difference which could be good but Holmgren will further away from the basket and not provide the rim protection that is needed and Juzang is quicker off the bounce than Holmgren is and maybe Holmgren gets into foul trouble. It's a risk having Chet guard him. That then leaves Bolton. He is good defensively but not elite like Watson is. I know Watson will come off the bench and not start but when he is in there he is best equipped to guard Juzang - otherwise I think Bolton is the best guy. Watson's defense will be very important tonight. Go Zags!!
    The key to the game is stopping Campbell. Shut him down, and the bruins are in trouble.