• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • caduceus
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2007

Zags vs. UCLA — Head to Head

...And we're back! Having five games under the belt, it's perhaps time to statistically evaluate our prized upcoming match that ESPN, FOX, and CBSSN have been touting to the Nth degree as if it were the national final.

The last matchup was a game for the ages in last year's National Semifinal. Yay, yay, Jalen Suggs. You brought back the, erm... pride of fourth floor Desmet (I lived on the third floor, and I never got any sleep on weekends!).

The UCLA Bruins (5-0), having maintained most of their previous roster, come to Vegas to take on our beloved Zags (5-0), who have basically reloaded this season. This will be (from reported sources) the first #1 vs #2 AP No. 1 team to play two top-5, non-conference opponents (looking at you, Duke) in the same week of the regular season since Kentucky did it in the 1954. [For those not paying attention, the AP poll started in 1948. No, we didn't go to Dayton in any fashion or practically anywhere in these United States, and the teams invited were fewer than four fingered hands put together, and maybe from some far reaching destinations like Ore-EEEE-Gone...pffffft].

I digress...

UCLA is a team not to be taken for granted. Offensively, they are formidable. Their defense is less impressive, but as the #2 team in the nation, I would not drop my guard (literally or figuratively)! Here we go!

Basic Stat Comparison:

Efficiency stats:

Barttorvik rates the game as an 82-76 win for the Bulldogs. The Bruins will be out for revenge. Hard to say if they can make that comeback. The Zag's depth is far beyond what we had last year. Either way, it should be a very, very exciting game!

credit to TeamRankings for the data.
  • upan8th
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Thanks for condensing the matchup, Doc. Very helpful. Can see, after digesting these stats, why the line has doubled from GU -4 to -8 since it opened. The O/U still under 160 is a puzzler.

Comment

• zag buddy
      Banned
      • Dec 2007

Last night I wanted to listen to the pre game and post game by Adam on the radio. I googled KGA radio spokane wa and found an excellent site for this computer dummy. 103.5 KGA on my computer.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
        Zag for Life
        • Nov 2007

UCLA gets sympathy if they lose a close one.
        If the zags lose a close one it will be one of the repeated talking lines in college basketball into March. Biggest feather in UCLA's cap until we are dancing. Proof to many, again, that zags can fold under the brightest of lights. It is true that we have lost in two championship games. It is true that we do not have a terrific record playing against teams ranked 1 or 2. It is true that the WCC does not prepare us for March as well as many teams who play in power conferences.
        UCLA wants payback for losing to us in overtime last year.
        I hope we still want payback for being up 17 and losing to them back in 05-06. Last year's Natty the media portrayed us a barking dogs about to set all time records, possibly best team in 50 years. Emotionally some of our team may have found that storybook ending too irresistable. What I hope to see tonight and when we play Duke is that of a wolf trapped in a corner with a hungry bear coming in. Head low and ready for the fight of a lifetime. Excuse the coincidence that we are a dog mascot and they are a bruin mascot.

Comment

• willandi
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
          UCLA gets sympathy if they lose a close one.
          If the zags lose a close one it will be one of the repeated talking lines in college basketball into March. Biggest feather in UCLA's cap until we are dancing. Proof to many, again, that zags can fold under the brightest of lights. It is true that we have lost in two championship games. It is true that we do not have a terrific record playing against teams ranked 1 or 2. It is true that the WCC does not prepare us for March as well as many teams who play in power conferences.
          UCLA wants payback for losing to us in overtime last year.
          I hope we still want payback for being up 17 and losing to them back in 05-06. Last year's Natty the media portrayed us a barking dogs about to set all time records, possibly best team in 50 years. Emotionally some of our team may have found that storybook ending too irresistable. What I hope to see tonight and when we play Duke is that of a wolf trapped in a corner with a hungry bear coming in. Head low and ready for the fight of a lifetime. Excuse the coincidence that we are a dog mascot and they are a bruin mascot.
          I hope that the game is 5 on 5. The game when we were up 17, the other 3 on the court quit calling the game. The first lost Natty, same thing happened. Last year, Baylor was more ready than the Zags.
          Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
            Zag for Life
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
            I hope that the game is 5 on 5. The game when we were up 17, the other 3 on the court quit calling the game. The first lost Natty, same thing happened. Last year, Baylor was more ready than the Zags.
            I suspect after that Baylor experience Coach Few will never allow a team of his to get caught on their heels early ever again. That was a very painful lesson for him and the Zags. This team playing with that edge based on their focus; I think they keep it going all season long. Cannot imagine the sharp feeling that sticks in all their guts being one game away from an undefeated, championship season only to get punched in the mouth and KO’d. It’s the fire that will guide them to the top this year.
            Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

Working...
            X