Has the tune on Tommy Lloyd changed at Arizona?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • HenneZag
    Zag for Life
    • Aug 2012

Give credit to AZ but I was not impressed with Michigan. Even with their earlier games this year. Time will tell.
    America's Team!

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by White lightning View Post
      Michigan shooting 7% from 3 is the tale of the tape.

Koloko had a great game and is a great shot blocker but Michigan rolled over especially not being used to the pace. Dickinson put very little pressure on the bigs and Arizona packed it it daring Michigan to shoot over them. Great win but I would bet a much closer contest if they played again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
      I don't understand all the Dickenson love. He is big, that's it. He is slow, non athletic, non shot blocker, non rebounder. Why does all these announcers slobber all over him ?

Comment

• rennis
        Zag for Life
        • Oct 2007

I stayed in the same hotel as the AZ football squad did late last week before they squared off with/got spanked by WSU. I ran into some... Brass from within their athletic dept and had a few barstool conversations with that person about a lot of things in college athletics. I can tell you that from the inside, the entire athletic department and those close to the basketball program are all very excited to have Tommy and think very highly of him.

I don't think what we all see on message boards or in the ether of the internet has any reflection on that program's real decision makers and their feelings on anything of importance.

probably sounds familiar...
        Originally posted by Coach Few
        We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
          Administrator
          • Apr 2009

The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

“No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• RenoZag
            Super Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
            The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
            I need a shower. . .
            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• hooter73
              Zag for Life
              • Jun 2008

Originally posted by Birddog View Post
              It looked to me that Ballo was gassed after four possessions just like last year
              Agreed, he looked terrible.

Comment

• mgadfly
                Zag for Life
                • Feb 2007

Against Wichita State they looked awesome at times. Then would turn the ball over five straight times. But it was no surprise to me that they beat Michigan. And Ballo has been fun to watch so far this year. His per possession stats would place him as our most efficient post player (even more efficient than Chet) and best rebounder. He also blocks shots, draws a ton of fouls, and makes the free throws when he goes to the line. He is their Kaden Perry and like Perry, is fun to watch go all out for a few minutes at a time.

Comment

• zagfan08
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Tommy Lloyd was a huge part of Gonzaga building itself into what it is today and it’s good to see his success so far at Arizona.

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                    Zag for Life
                    • Oct 2008

Originally posted by zagfan08 View Post
                    Tommy Lloyd was a huge part of Gonzaga building itself into what it is today and it’s good to see his success so far at Arizona.
                    +1

His success, to me, is a success for Gonzaga. I just hope that he doesn’t eventually overtake them

Persons have the right to hate on him but the recruiting stuff on the way out seemed like fair game to me. Players get attached to certain coaches, and this includes assistants.

Comment

• scrooner
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

If Arizona overtakes Gonzaga as a program, does Tommy have any reason to return? It's one thing to turn down money you don't have and keep your family where they are, but something different to take a large paycut to move back to a smaller school for the feels. Not to mention, the timing around contracts could make that sort of thing difficult.

Comment

• Zagceo
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2013

Tommy’s blazing his own trail. Spokane is in the review mirror.

So far so good.

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
                          +1

His success, to me, is a success for Gonzaga. I just hope that he doesn’t eventually overtake them

Persons have the right to hate on him but the recruiting stuff on the way out seemed like fair game to me. Players get attached to certain coaches, and this includes assistants.
                          Agreed, Lloyd has given 20 years to Gonzaga. Can't expect him to start his first head coaching job with a "but I better not ruffle Gonzaga's feathers with my recruiting targets" attitude. He is a people person who likely has several recruits he began developing relationships with while working for Gonzaga; now he works for Arizona but those relationships remain. I have nothing but respect and well wishes for Tommy Lloyd.
                          Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• RenoZag
                            Super Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

Jim Meehan has a feature article on Coach Lloyd in today's edition of the S-R

Tommy Lloyd is moving quickly but thoughtfully, much the way his Arizona basketball team did for the previous two hours on the court at T-Mobile Arena.

With the roster mostly intact, Lloyd set about implementing his system, which, naturally, looks quite similar to Gonzaga’s. Why wouldn’t it look that way after Lloyd worked for two decades with coach Mark Few, helping build the Zags into a national power?

Arizona leads the nation at 23.5 assists per game and averages 91.5 points, third nationally. That compares to 75.4 points and 15.5 assists in Miller’s final season.

“I learned a lot from coach Few and he let me contribute, so everything that I’m coaching are things I’m comfortable with,” Lloyd said. “I’m not making anything up or living in fantasy land like I have all the answers. It’s time-tested, proven stuff. That’s what we’re doing.”
                            Lloyd points out that his smooth transition was made possible by his assistant coaches and support staff, including several who were at Gonzaga when he was Few’s right-hand man.

Arizona assistant coach Riccardo Fois spent five years on GU’s staff . He was a player development coach for the Phoenix Suns the past two years. TJ Benson, who was GU’s coordinator of basketball administration, is recruiting director and Lloyd’s special assistant.

Former Zag walk-on Rem Bakamus is Arizona’s director of player development after serving as a grad assistant for Baylor the last three years. Ken Nakagawa, who was at GU for five years as a grad assistant and video coordinator, is the Wildcats’ director of advanced scouting.
                            The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Comment

• zagdontzig
                              Zag for Life
                              • Mar 2016

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
                              Albeit as an outsider, I don't understand the loyalty to Sean Miller. He didn't win, and tarnished the program in the process of not winning. Why follow this guy into the muck?
                              Originally posted by Reborn
                              Go Zags!!!
                              Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor

Comment

• SorenTodd45
                                Banned
                                • Jan 2019

I've probably written this over and over, but I am still an AZ Wildcats fan. Grew up in Tempe, AZ; do you know how hard it is to root for the enemy when you are in ASU territory? I wish Tommy all the success in the world and hope he can get that program going again. Trying to replicate what Lute did won't be easy; Sean Elliot and Mike Bibby ain't walking back through those doors anytime soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X