Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has the tune on Tommy Lloyd changed at Arizona?

Default Has the tune on Tommy Lloyd changed at Arizona?

Tommy Lloyd is off to a hot start at Arizona, taking down # 4 Michigan on Sunday. Has the Arizona Alumni base changed their position on Tommy Lloyd as a head coach?

I watched their game against Wichita. Nothing spectacular jumped out at me. He's got a couple players and a familiar coaching style but still, surprised about them taking down Michigan.

Michigan shooting 7% from 3 is the tale of the tape.

Koloko had a great game and is a great shot blocker but Michigan rolled over especially not being used to the pace. Dickinson put very little pressure on the bigs and Arizona packed it it daring Michigan to shoot over them. Great win but I would bet a much closer contest if they played again.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Everyone loves a winner.....

except you have the national college basketball press giving all the credit to Sean Miller

Matt Norlander

Sean Miller left Tommy Lloyd a squad.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by gu03alum View Post
    except you have the national college basketball press giving all the credit to Sean Miller

Matt Norlander
    Norlander is a literal and figurative. Just another example.
    Last edited by GoZags; 11-22-2021 at 10:49 PM.

I really don’t care. As I’ve said before, he’s done a few things to alienate himself since leaving.

Now that Roth is retired, maybe he’ll open up on his sincere thoughts.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Norlander is a literal and figurative . Just another example.
    That's disgusting and uncalled for.

Honestly not the mental image I come to the GU boards to get.

Should not be tolerated here, in my view.

Norlander has written and spoken repeatedly in glowing terms about Lloyd ever since the hiring. (as well as before)

You miss the nuance in his tweet and now fling this vile filth...
    Last edited by GoZags; 11-22-2021 at 10:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    I really don’t care. As I’ve said before, he’s done a few things to alienate himself since leaving.

Now that Roth is retired, maybe he’ll open up on his sincere thoughts.
    What exactly has he done?

I grew up in Arizona. Old enough to remember when U of A was in the WAC and not the Pac-10. When we got Coach Lute from Iowa, we knew something special was on the horizon, and it all paid off in 1997.

Tommy will take his lumps, as the P12 is a whole lot tougher than the WCC. But he clearly has this once-proud program headed in the right direction.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by vandalzag View Post
    What exactly has he done?
    I’m not going to rehash. I got unwarranted pushback last time.

Find someone close to the program and inquire.

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post

Koloko had a great game and is a great shot blocker but Michigan rolled over especially not being used to the pace. Dickinson put very little pressure on the bigs and Arizona packed it it daring Michigan to shoot over them. Great win but I would bet a much closer contest if they played again.

Is it just that simple for an entire team to pick up the pace?
    Bonjour tristesse.

It looked to me that Ballo was gassed after four possessions just like last year

One thing Tommy has picked up from Fewie.

There was a "bigtime" Booster/big $$ gathering in Las Vegas prior to the Michigan game.

Tommy took the "Mark Few" approach to glad handing/schmoozing and sent Jason Gardner instead of going. These were mainstays for Lute and Sean Miller over the years ... neither one of them ever missed one of these.

That's one thing Mark has been able to get away with at Gonzaga. We'll see how it works for Arizona. BTW I told my friend (who was in the room) to not hold his breath waiting for Tommy to come to these types of things.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Lotta hate there for Tommy at AZ.

Like this from Gilbert Arenas saying Damon Stoudamire should be AZ coach….Guess that is based on how he distinguished himself with a 71-77 record at Pacific or his status as a founding member of the “Jail Blazers”

https://twitter.com/justinesports/st...838128643?s=21

Sorta wish Tommy well but he is taking care of himself these days. Pulled a couple of moves with recruits that left a bad taste on the way out of Spokane.

ZZ

Give credit to AZ but I was not impressed with Michigan. Even with their earlier games this year. Time will tell.
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by White lightning View Post

I don't understand all the Dickenson love. He is big, that's it. He is slow, non athletic, non shot blocker, non rebounder. Why does all these announcers slobber all over him ?

I stayed in the same hotel as the AZ football squad did late last week before they squared off with/got spanked by WSU. I ran into some... Brass from within their athletic dept and had a few barstool conversations with that person about a lot of things in college athletics. I can tell you that from the inside, the entire athletic department and those close to the basketball program are all very excited to have Tommy and think very highly of him.

I don't think what we all see on message boards or in the ether of the internet has any reflection on that program's real decision makers and their feelings on anything of importance.

probably sounds familiar...
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!

The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
    I need a shower. . .

Quote Originally Posted by Birddog View Post
    It looked to me that Ballo was gassed after four possessions just like last year
    Agreed, he looked terrible.

Against Wichita State they looked awesome at times. Then would turn the ball over five straight times. But it was no surprise to me that they beat Michigan. And Ballo has been fun to watch so far this year. His per possession stats would place him as our most efficient post player (even more efficient than Chet) and best rebounder. He also blocks shots, draws a ton of fouls, and makes the free throws when he goes to the line. He is their Kaden Perry and like Perry, is fun to watch go all out for a few minutes at a time.

Tommy Lloyd was a huge part of Gonzaga building itself into what it is today and it’s good to see his success so far at Arizona.

Quote Originally Posted by zagfan08 View Post
    Tommy Lloyd was a huge part of Gonzaga building itself into what it is today and it’s good to see his success so far at Arizona.
    +1

His success, to me, is a success for Gonzaga. I just hope that he doesn’t eventually overtake them

Persons have the right to hate on him but the recruiting stuff on the way out seemed like fair game to me. Players get attached to certain coaches, and this includes assistants.

If Arizona overtakes Gonzaga as a program, does Tommy have any reason to return? It's one thing to turn down money you don't have and keep your family where they are, but something different to take a large paycut to move back to a smaller school for the feels. Not to mention, the timing around contracts could make that sort of thing difficult.