Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Has the tune on Tommy Lloyd changed at Arizona?

Tommy’s blazing his own trail. Spokane is in the review mirror.

So far so good.

Quote Originally Posted by JPtheBeasta View Post
    +1

His success, to me, is a success for Gonzaga. I just hope that he doesn’t eventually overtake them

Persons have the right to hate on him but the recruiting stuff on the way out seemed like fair game to me. Players get attached to certain coaches, and this includes assistants.
    Agreed, Lloyd has given 20 years to Gonzaga. Can't expect him to start his first head coaching job with a "but I better not ruffle Gonzaga's feathers with my recruiting targets" attitude. He is a people person who likely has several recruits he began developing relationships with while working for Gonzaga; now he works for Arizona but those relationships remain. I have nothing but respect and well wishes for Tommy Lloyd.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Jim Meehan has a feature article on Coach Lloyd in today's edition of the S-R

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...you-are-forme/

With the roster mostly intact, Lloyd set about implementing his system, which, naturally, looks quite similar to Gonzaga’s. Why wouldn’t it look that way after Lloyd worked for two decades with coach Mark Few, helping build the Zags into a national power?

Arizona leads the nation at 23.5 assists per game and averages 91.5 points, third nationally. That compares to 75.4 points and 15.5 assists in Miller’s final season.

“I learned a lot from coach Few and he let me contribute, so everything that I’m coaching are things I’m comfortable with,” Lloyd said. “I’m not making anything up or living in fantasy land like I have all the answers. It’s time-tested, proven stuff. That’s what we’re doing.”
    Lloyd points out that his smooth transition was made possible by his assistant coaches and support staff, including several who were at Gonzaga when he was Few’s right-hand man.

Arizona assistant coach Riccardo Fois spent five years on GU’s staff . He was a player development coach for the Phoenix Suns the past two years. TJ Benson, who was GU’s coordinator of basketball administration, is recruiting director and Lloyd’s special assistant.

Former Zag walk-on Rem Bakamus is Arizona’s director of player development after serving as a grad assistant for Baylor the last three years. Ken Nakagawa, who was at GU for five years as a grad assistant and video coordinator, is the Wildcats’ director of advanced scouting.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
    Albeit as an outsider, I don't understand the loyalty to Sean Miller. He didn't win, and tarnished the program in the process of not winning. Why follow this guy into the muck?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I've probably written this over and over, but I am still an AZ Wildcats fan. Grew up in Tempe, AZ; do you know how hard it is to root for the enemy when you are in ASU territory? I wish Tommy all the success in the world and hope he can get that program going again. Trying to replicate what Lute did won't be easy; Sean Elliot and Mike Bibby ain't walking back through those doors anytime soon.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post
    Albeit as an outsider, I don't understand the loyalty to Sean Miller. He didn't win, and tarnished the program in the process of not winning. Why follow this guy into the muck?
    Didn't win? Say what? His last several years trailed off, but before that he was successful. Didn't win a Championship, if that's what you mean by "didn't win." '10-'11 thru '17-'18 Arizona was easily the top program in the Pac. 3 Elite 8s and 2 Sweet 16s during that time frame may have fallen short of expectations, but it wasn't chopped liver.

Sure he had talent, but he didn't really have that many NBA guys if you really look at it. Gordon, Ayton and a few other guys who got a cup of coffee in the League.

You can look all through history and find a lot of guys who did a lot worse following in the footsteps of a legendary coach.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post

You can look all through history and find a lot of guys who did a lot worse following in the footsteps of a legendary coach.
    I challenge anyone to find a bigger slime ball and cheater who followed the footsteps of a legendary coach. Arizona tarnished themselves looking the other way and are hoping Tommy Lloyd can bring back a little of the respect they've lost as a program.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    I challenge anyone to find a bigger slime ball and cheater who followed the footsteps of a legendary coach. Arizona tarnished themselves looking the other way and are hoping Tommy Lloyd can bring back a little of the respect they've lost as a program.
    That’s what I’m talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    That’s what I’m talking about.
    In my book the ONLY positive the guy had going for him was his embracement of the concept of playing Gonzaga on a regular basis .... home/away/neutral. Sean Miller thought it was a good idea, and for that I am grateful.

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

Pitino? That was easy. I don't remember hearing anything about strippers and hookers at Arizona or Miller cheating on his wife in a restaurant after hours. You want to talk about a slime ball, there's your guy.

Default Excellent point

Pitino? That was easy. I don't remember hearing anything about strippers and hookers at Arizona or Miller cheating on his wife in a restaurant after hours. You want to talk about a slime ball, there's your guy.
    Don't know how I could have missed it.

You're right.

Pitino actually "followed in the footsteps" of TWO legendary coaches ... Tim Cluess (199-108) and then Iona's interim HC ... Tra Arnold (12-17). Those guys are RIGHT up there on the Lute Olson scale.

Thanks for correcting me.

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

-----

Seacat, you’re damning with faint praise. Besides, much of Pitino’s despicable acts are public knowledge. Thanks to the sleepy trustees in Tucson and an ineffective, if not absent, administration, most of the Chipmunk’s excesses are yet to be unearthed.

Seacat, you’re damning with faint praise. Besides, much of Pitino’s despicable acts are public knowledge. Thanks to the sleepy trustees in Tucson and an ineffective, if not absent, administration, most of the Chipmunk’s excesses are yet to be unearthed.
    I'm just glad that Sean Miller landed on his feet, and found himself a new career.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5xTu6AMxq4

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

-----

Don't know how I could have missed it.

You're right.

Pitino actually "followed in the footsteps" of TWO legendary coaches ... Tim Cluess (199-108) and then Iona's interim HC ... Tra Arnold (12-17). Those guys are RIGHT up there on the Lute Olson scale.

Thanks for correcting me.
    You're smarter than that. You know which coach I'm referring to Pitino replacing. Who is very much in the same conversation w/ Olson.

You guys have had, and continue to have a weird obsession w/ Miller. He's gone. Get over it. Arizona is now Gonzaga South, everybody should be happy.

You guys have had, and continue to have a weird obsession w/ Miller. He's gone. Get over it. Arizona is now Gonzaga South, everybody should be happy.
    I think everyone will be, until we lose recruits to him/them.

Thanks for the lecture and thanks for the advice.

Kelvin Sampson has been gone from Wazzzu for awhile, yet I still consider him a slime ball, a dirtbag and a cheater. I am so sorry that my feelings don’t conform you your thoughts about how I should feel about things.

But again, your lecturing is very much appreciated.

——-
    Some cherry picked stats

-----

Same with Romar....give it a rest.....the kids have a dismissive expression for that kind of thinking........" Haters got to hate....".

Didn't win? Say what? His last several years trailed off, but before that he was successful. Didn't win a Championship, if that's what you mean by "didn't win." '10-'11 thru '17-'18 Arizona was easily the top program in the Pac. 3 Elite 8s and 2 Sweet 16s during that time frame may have fallen short of expectations, but it wasn't chopped liver.

Sure he had talent, but he didn't really have that many NBA guys if you really look at it. Gordon, Ayton and a few other guys who got a cup of coffee in the League.

7 appearances in 11 years, a handful of first round exits (including one to Buffalo), and no final fours? I guess it depends on phrasing, but getting the program in the NCAA's crosshairs and having a documentary made about an FBI investigation into the program as a cherry on top of a so-so record is what makes me wonder why that fanbase is so loyal to him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

I'm nowhere near Tucson and not an insider, so all I can do is guess how the fan base feels about Miller. The end of the Olson tenure was a bit chaotic. A few kind of down years, and two straight years with an interim coach. Miller quickly got UA back on track and relevant, maybe that's where the loyalty is coming from? Still can't see eye to eye with several of you regarding his record at UA. Even w/ the last 3 years not up to par, he had a .735 overall and .688 in conference winning percentages. How many other coaches have done that in Pac 10/12 history w/ more than 10 years of coaching? I'm gonna go ahead and guess not many. Altman is below that currently. Even w/ 3 Final 4's, Howland's numbers at UCLA are below that. Y'all got a weird definition of not winning.

You're smarter than that. You know which coach I'm referring to Pitino replacing. Who is very much in the same conversation w/ Olson.
    Joe B. Hall? Wasn’t he racist light? Denny? Crooked? I’m shocked.

I'm nowhere near Tucson and not an insider, so all I can do is guess how the fan base feels about Miller. The end of the Olson tenure was a bit chaotic. A few kind of down years, and two straight years with an interim coach. Miller quickly got UA back on track and relevant, maybe that's where the loyalty is coming from? Still can't see eye to eye with several of you regarding his record at UA. Even w/ the last 3 years not up to par, he had a .735 overall and .688 in conference winning percentages. How many other coaches have done that in Pac 10/12 history w/ more than 10 years of coaching? I'm gonna go ahead and guess not many. Altman is below that currently. Even w/ 3 Final 4's, Howland's numbers at UCLA are below that. Y'all got a weird definition of not winning.
    I can only say that two VERY prominent UoA fans known to me, ex-NBA players, were never sold on Miller as a worthy ambassador for the program.

Joe B. Hall? Wasn’t he racist light? Denny? Crooked? I’m shocked.
    At UK he followed Sutton, who wasn't there long enough to be legendary.

Crum was crooked? I don't even remember that. Too bad, I liked him.

Quote Originally Posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
    The fans on their board have an ongoing thread with 2000+ posts regarding their opinions of Coach Lloyd.

Enjoy.

http://www.beardownwildcats.com/view...php?f=8&t=6603
    Y
    scanned through some of the older and current comments. Did find where Tommy bought a house and got a preview through Zillow. if interested in real estate you too can see what 3.2M buys.

Go Tommy!

Go Zags!!!

At UK he followed Sutton, who wasn't there long enough to be legendary.

Crum was crooked? I don't even remember that. Too bad, I liked him.
    https://hardcoresportstalk.wordpress...ag/denny-crum/

Pitino was not the first dirty basketball coach at Louisville. Denny Crum had no rules or standards. His players were among the dumbest in all of college sports. Looking at his graduation rates alone, it’s highly unlikely his players were actually passing. From 1989-1998 only 27% of his players earned degrees. The average rate during this span was 44%. Like Pitino, Crum cheated on his wife. Unlike Pitino, Crum actually left his first wife for a much younger newscaster who suddenly was promoted through the ranks of the local media. Of course the local media which is in the back pocket of Louisville’s said nothing about the matter.