• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roxdoc
    Zag for Life
    • Feb 2007

Depth

Lots of talk about a good Purdue team and their strength because of depth. Zags are good too. Despite coach's penchant for small rotations would people say one of our strengths is good depth?
  • Hoopaholic
    • Mar 2008

Originally posted by roxdoc View Post
    Lots of talk about a good Purdue team and their strength because of depth. Zags are good too. Despite coach's penchant for small rotations would people say one of our strengths is good depth?
    Potential for development of depth but strong 7 deep, fairly strong 8 deep. How deep does one need to go?

And one of the guards is out with injury
    The ones that want to love us when we’re up & kick us when we’re down, screw off honestly. Drew Timme January 2023

Comment

• gueastcoast
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

I think we're clearly strong 8 deep. If you give a half-credit each to Perry and Gregg -- works in progress, but each with flashes already very early in the season -- I think we are (or can be) a legit 9+ deep.

I know Coach tightens his rotations as the season advances, but he's got a lot of talent to choose from.
      Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
        Zag for Life
        • Mar 2007

Good discussion, but history is definitely working against anything more than a 7-man rotation. Coach has NEVER gone more than 7 deep at any time in his career, if memory serves. Now, a lot of the time in the early years the talent to go deeper than 7 just wasn't there, but in the last 5+ years it has been.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. Even this year, going more than 8 deep (starters, Watson, Hickman, Sallis) results in a big drop off, especially against the ranked teams in the OOC and anyone after the first weekend in the Dance. Gregg and Perry simply aren't ready for any meaningful minutes against elite teams. They may be in future years, but not this year.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• Mvzags
          Kennel Club Material
          • Jan 2021

Getting in the rotation, ie meaningful minutes, comes from hard work in practice and then taking advantage of the opportunities in games. I don’t think we will see 7 man rotation, Sallis has earned meaningful minutes with his energy, and defense.

Comment

• zag67
            Zag for Life
            • Sep 2007

I would say that the depth is there. We have 3 strong front court players and if real foul trouble occurred depending on whether you needed defense or offense you have Greg or Perry. And we have a strong set of guards, with at least 2 or 3 point guards for passing and all of them can defend and do pick and rolls. We might be a little weak at the three, but we can do it by committee. Just finding the right set will be the difficulty.

Comment

• HenneZag
              Zag for Life
              • Aug 2012

We have depth but as games get tighter Few will shorten the bench regardless. I would really like to see more Gregg and Perry. I am hoping we can find one more big that can provide some more offense balance.
              America's Team!

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                Zag for Life
                • May 2008

When the big games are played, the rotation will stick at eight guys with a few minutes if needed from Gregg or Perry.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• GonzagasaurusFlex
                  Zag for Life
                  • Feb 2007

Depth, where is thy sting?
                  Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

last time we started:
                    Bolton, Andrew, Julian, Timme and Chet.
                    That leaves
                    6 anton as the 3 and was a 4 star recruit
                    7 hickman as the 1 and was a 5 star recruit
                    8 sallis as the 2 and was a 5 star recruit
                    9 gregg as the 4 and was a 4 star recruit
                    10 perry as the 5 and was a 4 star recruit

what fun, a whole team - I dont think any WCC team has this much star power in their 5 starters!
                    One of the biggest impediments to gregg and kaden breaking into the rotation,
                    IMHO, is that Strawther and Watson are big enough to do some of the work Perry and Gregg could have potentially provided backing up Timme and Chet.
                    Its hard for me to imagine us having a better recruiting year again, but I love to think we will.

I don't see how Few will give tiny minutes to Sallis this year, esp when Hickman's skill set resembles Nembhard and Bolton so well.
                    Hunter's skill set doesn't resemble anybody.

Comment

• willandi
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Originally posted by TacomaZAG View Post
                      Good discussion, but history is definitely working against anything more than a 7-man rotation. Coach has NEVER gone more than 7 deep at any time in his career, if memory serves. Now, a lot of the time in the early years the talent to go deeper than 7 just wasn't there, but in the last 5+ years it has been.

I hope I'm wrong, but I just don't see it happening. Even this year, going more than 8 deep (starters, Watson, Hickman, Sallis) results in a big drop off, especially against the ranked teams in the OOC and anyone after the first weekend in the Dance. Gregg and Perry simply aren't ready for any meaningful minutes against elite teams. They may be in future years, but not this year.

Go ZAGS
                      Wasn't it more with the Karno/Sabonis Collins/JW3 front line shifts, plus the normal 4-5 guard rotation?
                      Last edited by willandi; 11-22-2021, 06:41 AM.
                      Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• GrizZAG
                        Zag for Life
                        • Nov 2009

Chet had great hands, quicker than one would expect. I loved that snatch on the inbound.
                        One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Comment

• TheOtherGreatOne
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Hoopaholic View Post
                          Potential for development of depth but strong 7 deep, fairly strong 8 deep. How deep does one need to go?

And one of the guards is out with injury
                          You need to give good players playing time if you want good players to keep coming to your school. Good players are not going to keep coming to your school if they are not going to play. If you got 10 good players, play them.

Comment

• TacomaZAG
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                            Wasn't it more with the Karno/Sabonis Collins/JW3 front line shifts, plus the normal 4-5 guard rotation?
                            Not to my recollection. Even with those really good front lines, meaningful minutes went to 3 bigs and 4 guards. If memory serves, Coach has never gone 5 guards deep with meaningful minutes, nor has he gone meaningful minutes with 4 bigs. WRT the guard rotation this year, Coach could go 5 deep with Hickman & Sallis both getting meaningful minutes off the bench, will have to wait and see.

Go ZAGS

Comment

• JPtheBeasta
                              Zag for Life
                              • Oct 2008

Originally posted by ZagsGoZags View Post
                              last time we started:
                              Bolton, Andrew, Julian, Timme and Chet.
                              That leaves
                              6 anton as the 3 and was a 4 star recruit
                              7 hickman as the 1 and was a 5 star recruit
                              8 sallis as the 2 and was a 5 star recruit
                              9 gregg as the 4 and was a 4 star recruit
                              10 perry as the 5 and was a 4 star recruit

what fun, a whole team - I dont think any WCC team has this much star power in their 5 starters!
                              One of the biggest impediments to gregg and kaden breaking into the rotation,
                              IMHO, is that Strawther and Watson are big enough to do some of the work Perry and Gregg could have potentially provided backing up Timme and Chet.
                              Its hard for me to imagine us having a better recruiting year again, but I love to think we will.

I don't see how Few will give tiny minutes to Sallis this year, esp when Hickman's skill set resembles Nembhard and Bolton so well.
                              Hunter's skill set doesn't resemble anybody.
                              I wouldn't have any qualms about any of that bench 5 starting any games this year. Perry is the most raw but he would also be the most fun to watch (assuming he doesn't foul out in 5 minutes).

To another one of your points, it has me wondering if there is another high-impact one-and-done type that the staff is going to grab for next year? Having one of these on the roster a year is my favorite way of doing things. If you have too many you lose the players with experience and all of the benefit that provides. But having at least one provides that little bit of an edge with the wow plays that nobody else can do, while not sacrificing too much on the mistakes/growing pains side of things.

Comment

Working...
                              X