X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mr Vulture
    Zag for Life
    • May 2008

Anyone that thinks Gregg should play over Watson is just not being objective. I think Gregg will be a good player for us as he develops in the coming years, but he’s not close to Watson in most aspects of his game. Suggesting Perry as an option is just not realistic. He has a huge upside but he’s extremely raw as a player right now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

• Spink
      Professional Zag Fan
      • Nov 2018

I think all GU fans were somewhere between a little surprised & shocked that last game Watson didn’t finish some of his shots in the paint. That is one aspect of the game. Considering his defense his benefit to this team is still great.

Comment

• GoZags
        Super Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Spink View Post
        I think all GU fans were somewhere between a little surprised & shocked that last game Watson didn’t finish some of his shots in the paint. That is one aspect of the game. Considering his defense his benefit to this team is still great.
        Over Anton's career (51 games to date) he's a 58.3 percent f.g. shooter. And that includes his 33.3 percent so far this year.

I think he'll be okay.
        sigpic
        “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
        ——-
        List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
        Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
          Zag for Life
          • Nov 2007

Last year, and this, Anton was a cutter. I don't have the stats, but time after time I watched a great pass to watson cutting toward the basket in the paint.

Sallis reminds me of Errol Knight and Matisse Thybulle, they seem to show up anywhere on the floor, gliding around without obvious effort. Like Endermen in Minecraft. Regarding getting into the NBA without offensive power Matisse is one. Low 30's for 3-ball, avg 4 pt per game, but decent steals and blocks. He went first round NBA.

Comment

• Spink
            Professional Zag Fan
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by GoZags View Post
            Over Anton's career (51 games to date) he's a 58.3 percent f.g. shooter. And that includes his 33.3 percent so far this year.

I think he'll be okay.
            Thus the last game comment.

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
              Administrator
              • Apr 2009

Originally posted by willandi View Post
              Plus/minus stats are meaningless. They measure what the teams performance is while the player is on the floor.
              For the season to date, the Zags are +29 when I am not on the floor...
              “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• kitzbuel
                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Martin Centre Mad Man View Post
                Thank you for your contribution!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
                - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Comment

• Martin Centre Mad Man
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2009

Originally posted by kitzbuel View Post
                  Thank you for your contribution!

It was the least I could do.
                  “No team in the country has a better winning percentage against power conference teams since 2017 than Gonzaga... the Zags are playing above average teams in the best leagues in the country and winning 78% of the time.”

-Ken Pomeroy-

https://www.ksl.com/article/50342950...in-perspective

Comment

• Fonebone
                    Kennel Club
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                    Local hero. If he was from Missouri no one would give a darn.
                    You speak with such certainty. My support for Watson is mostly based on direct comments from the coaches.

Comment

• ZagsGoZags
                      Zag for Life
                      • Nov 2007

Mad Man, well at least you are on the floor 11 minutes a game!

Comment

• Bogozags
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2008

Seriously, I would have thought you would have been in the 35+ range...you are the most consistent of all our Zags...keep up the GREAT work!

Comment

• zaguarxj
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Reborn hasn't had the guts to come back and try to either defend his worthless comment or apologize. Pathetic.

Comment

• titopoet
                            Zag for Life
                            • Apr 2008

Originally posted by Fonebone View Post
                            You speak with such certainty. My support for Watson is mostly based on direct comments from the coaches.

My support comes from his play. Offensively, he is one the best screeners on the team. Much needed in the ball screen offense that the Zags run. Also, he is an elite defender. With all offensive fire power the Zags have, offensively we need his dirty work of setting screens. It is no accident that his best game, Texas this year came against the biggest opponent. Ben is awesome and the future is bright for him, but with Chet, Drew & Anton in front of him, it is not his time yet. I do hope Few open the rotation more to find minutes for Ben & Kaden. Ben can learn from Anton, even offensively like how to hold a screen better, box out better, slash to the basket for an offesive rebound, spacing in the offense, you know the little things that one doesn't see in the box score but every coach knows is important to winning.
                            ----
                            Why not try Love Poems. They work to prime the pump.

Comment

• scrooner
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

From Evanmiya.com:

Glossary:

OBPR: Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the offensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the offensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the defensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                              DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                              BPR: Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                              Change: Improvement in BPR over the last 30 days.
                              Off Poss: Number of meaningful offensive possessions played.
                              Def Poss: Number of meaningful defensive possessions played.
                              Box OBPR: Box Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating is an estimate of a player's offensive value, based only on his individual stats. This serves as a prior starting point when calculating OBPR.
                              Box DBPR: Box Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating is an estimate of a player's defensive value, based only on his individual stats. This serves as a prior starting point when calculating DBPR.
                              Box BPR: Box Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's Box OBPR and Box DBPR. This rating is an estimate of a player's overall value, based only on his individual stats.
                              Team Eff Margin: Difference between adjusted team offensive and adjusted defensive efficiency with player on the court. A higher value is better.
                              +/-: Number of points scored for the player's team with him on the court, minus the number of points scored by the opponent with him on the court.

Evan just added the "Change" column, which shows that Drew, Chet, Rasir and Julian are much better on O than Evan predicted to start the season, and Anton, Nolan, Julian are much better on D than predicted. The DBPR indicates that Anton is our best defender by far, and the team has the best overall efficiency margin when he's playing.

Comment

• GoZags
                                Super Moderator
                                • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scrooner View Post
                                From Evanmiya.com:

Glossary:

OBPR: Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the offensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the offensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the defensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                                DBPR: Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating reflects the defensive value a player brings to his team when he is on the court. This rating incorporates a player's individual efficiency stats and on-court play-by-play impact, and also accounts for the defensive strength of other teammates on the floor with him, along with the offensive strength of the opponent's players on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                                BPR: Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's OBPR and DBPR. This rating is the ultimate measure of a player's overall value to his team when he is on the floor. A higher rating is better.
                                Change: Improvement in BPR over the last 30 days.
                                Off Poss: Number of meaningful offensive possessions played.
                                Def Poss: Number of meaningful defensive possessions played.
                                Box OBPR: Box Offensive Bayesian Performance Rating is an estimate of a player's offensive value, based only on his individual stats. This serves as a prior starting point when calculating OBPR.
                                Box DBPR: Box Defensive Bayesian Performance Rating is an estimate of a player's defensive value, based only on his individual stats. This serves as a prior starting point when calculating DBPR.
                                Box BPR: Box Bayesian Performance Rating is the sum of a player's Box OBPR and Box DBPR. This rating is an estimate of a player's overall value, based only on his individual stats.
                                Team Eff Margin: Difference between adjusted team offensive and adjusted defensive efficiency with player on the court. A higher value is better.
                                +/-: Number of points scored for the player's team with him on the court, minus the number of points scored by the opponent with him on the court.

Evan just added the "Change" column, which shows that Drew, Chet, Rasir and Julian are much better on O than Evan predicted to start the season, and Anton, Nolan, Julian are much better on D than predicted. The DBPR indicates that Anton is our best defender by far, and the team has the best overall efficiency margin when he's playing.
                                But ... but .... what about the "eye" test?

And on a more serious note, thanks for the great, informative post, scrooner.
                                sigpic
                                “To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
                                ——-
                                List of All Americans (1st Team Top 5) and Academic All Americans (1st Team Top 5) in the same season since '00:
                                Shane Battier, Dan Dickau, Omeka Okafor, DJ Augustin, Kelly Olynyk, Nigel Williams-Goss, Corey Kispert.

Comment

Working...
                                X