Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Bellarmine post game thoughts and analyses

Default Gonzaga vs Bellarmine post game thoughts and analyses

Gonzag 92i
    Bellarmine50

i thought this was the best game of the year, on both offense and Defense. Good balanced scoring: Timme 25, Strawther 19 and Holmgren 18, Hickman 9 and Nembhard 9 and Gregg 5. Gonzaga shot 54% for the game and 48 from behind the 3 pt line and made 11 threes Best shooting night of the year from behind the arch.

I also thought the defence was outstanding the whole game, and held them to 50 pts. I thought the substitues played really good D as well. The team is sooo quick and togugh on D.

I loved the play where Sallis blocked a shot, got the ball and dribbled down court for a dunk. He is so intense.

Our point guards (Nemby and Hickman) are great. Nemby is one of the best in the country. He can really feed the open guys.

I enjoyed the game even with no announcers....hahaha
    Enjoyed seeing Holmgren look so much better on Offense and he is just a stud on defense.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Watson’s offensive problems are so perplexing. But his defense is always solid.

Much better showing overall. I've heard from many that Anton is much more improved on the offensive end. I don't see much improvement from last year. Still forces the issue, and struggles on what to do in traffic or near the rim. He his however stellar on defense, i just don't think we will see much improvement offensively.
    America's Team!

We had a three headed monster tonight in Drew, Julian, and Chet. Ben is looking better to me every game. Nolan was 3 for 4 from deep tonight, really like his all around game.

Anton and Kaden value down last couple of games in my book. Kaden 5 fouls 5 minutes last game, Anton 5 fouls 12 minutes this game. Perhaps I'm getting so spoiled by Drew and Chet that I'm setting a unrealistic high bar for those 2 young men. What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    But his defense is always solid.
    Anton fouled out in roughly 12 minutes of playing time. He appeared lackadaisical. He was whistled for at least 2 charging fouls. Disappointing night for Watson.

Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Anton fouled out in roughly 12 minutes of playing time. He appeared lackadaisical. He was whistled for at least 2 charging fouls. Disappointing night for Watson.
    3 charging fouls....He was a joke tonight. Played just the way he did last year. He missed at least 3 bunnies as well. I hope Gregg beats him out.

Go Zags!!!

Voted for Chet. Great overall game but what he did to Penn in the second half was true magic.

- lots of thoughts on watson tonight..........i agree with the post that says let's be thankful he is so valuable on defense, but for now hope is about all gone that he is ever going to be an offensive plus for the team.

- what i liked is timmie shooting over 75% from the line. he is going to hurt many teams if he can consistently shoot 75% or better.

- espn stats had 4 blocks, really seemed like i saw about 6 or so.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - lots of thoughts on watson tonight..........i agree with the post that says let's be thankful he is so valuable on defense, but for now hope is about all gone that he is ever going to be an offensive plus for the team.

- what i liked is timmie shooting over 75% from the line. he is going to hurt many teams if he can consistently shoot 75% or better.

- espn stats had 4 blocks, really seemed like i saw about 6 or so.
    What I really liked about Holmgren was when he started guarding that guard who was just killing Strawther or anyone else who guarded him...Holmgren totally shut him down...The kid didn't score a single bucket on Holmgrent. He is not only a good shot blocker he can guard a wing. So that tells us we can play 3 bigs at one time if we need to. Wow

Go Zags!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    Everyone pulls so hard for Watson, including staff and announcers, but its hard to see much progress. Don't know what explains it, but at this point I think it is what it is. Pretty unusual to have a 4yr player who starts for some of this freshman and soph years (on #1 seed teams!) but probably won't start for his upperclassman years.

Quote Originally Posted by ZANY View Post
    Watson’s offensive problems are so perplexing. But his defense is always solid.
    A on D, D on O. Simply cannot make a layup. Lost. The hometown discount has run its course. Otoh, Ben is so clearly the best bench big, I hope Few finds him soon. Chet is sooooo scary good.
    Last edited by jazzdelmar; 11-20-2021 at 05:18 AM.

I thought they played well tonight. I am so glad we are moving into a streak of ESPN games. The games broadcast by the WCC over Stadium are just pathetic. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the quality of the team Gonzaga puts on the floor and the efforts of the conference and Athletic Director’s office in making that product available. When will they (the Conference and Athletic Directors) make an effort to get this fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    I thought they played well tonight. I am so glad we are moving into a streak of ESPN games. The games broadcast by the WCC over Stadium are just pathetic. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the quality of the team Gonzaga puts on the floor and the efforts of the conference and Athletic Director’s office in making that product available. When will they (the Conference and Athletic Directors) make an effort to get this fixed?
    No, either they can’t be bothered or as the new AD told me, we can’t appreciate how complicated the media situation is. I thought we hired IMG a few years ago to improve our public face. It’s an embarrassment to the university, but out of town fans are simply not a priority. Fortunately this crop of OOC games is not worth watching, but now it looks like some WCC games will be competitive and we won’t see them either. Our non network media coverage is not even mid major.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    No, either they can’t be bothered or as the new AD told me, we can’t appreciate how complicated the media situation is. I thought we hired IMG a few years ago to improve our public face. It’s an embarrassment to the university, but out of town fans are simply not a priority. Fortunately this crop of OOC games is not worth watching, but now it looks like some WCC games will be competitive and we won’t see them either. Our non network media coverage is not even mid major.
    I am sure things are complicated, I know when they show the games on a cable system in Dallas, I have to scramble to find a way to stream the game even when the cable service isn’t available in my area near Dallas (no cable is). Having said that, there is no excuse for the crap Stadium puts out. All of my television is streamed, I am fortunate enough to have a good high speed connection, the problem exists strictly with Stadium so when they say it is complicated, I think that is more of an excuse for a crappy contract with a sub-par provider.

Quote Originally Posted by scott257 View Post
    I am sure things are complicated, I know when they show the games on a cable system in Dallas, I have to scramble to find a way to stream the game even when the cable service isn’t available in my area near Dallas (no cable is). Having said that, there is no excuse for the crap Stadium puts out. All of my television is streamed, I am fortunate enough to have a good high speed connection, the problem exists strictly with Stadium so when they say it is complicated, I think that is more of an excuse for a crappy contract with a sub-par provider.
    Couldn’t agree more. Just passing along what the new AD told me in a note. Much like Roth, he’s very courteous to notes, but also like Roth, he does nothing and then takes his seat behind the bench.

Granted Bellarmine was severely overmatched by Zags size, athleticism and talent but they are a veteran team with a really unique offensive system and play with some choppiness and toughness. So many positives from this game!
    - Holmgren has gone from leaving his feet and getting silly fouls to staying down, playing big and just dominating on the defensive end. His scoring punch and fantastic overall game was nice but my biggest takeaway is how smart and coachable he is. Dude is making adjustments to his game every time out; so impressive. Watson needs to learn that trick and eliminate the head down offensive fouls.
    - Strawther is also doing what the coaches ask it seems. I recall Few mentioning his size and rebounding being something he can really help the team w and last night, in addition to shooting lights out, he was a menace on the offensive boards (4). Love his swag; hope he blows up in his hometown next week!
    - Hickman is so dang cool and confident. Never looks rushed, just calm and steady…making shots and throwing dimes. He plays like a 5th year senior.
    - Sallis just oozes energy and enthusiasm and is committed to making his mark defensively. He seems to get a little over hyped and out of control on offense but love the kid. He may be ready for the NBA athletically but I hope he Zags up for another year to hone his shooting and passing skills and overall court awareness.
    - Gregg is chomping on Anton’s heels for that first post player off the bench role imo. Not as strong defensively but plays smarter and harder than Watson and you can see how hard he is working to move his feet better defensively. He moves the ball quickly on offense and doesn’t force up shots anymore yet remains aggressive scoring threat. Excited to watch Gregg continue to evolve.

That’s quite enough out of me yet haven’t even mentioned Nembhard, Timme, Bolton, Perry. An abundance of riches. Perhaps biggest and best takeaway from this game is how mentally locked in and ready to compete the team was on cusp of arguably the most exciting hoops week of their careers for likely all the newbies on the roster. Everyone was locked in save Watson; he is a bit of an enigma to me but I will be rooting hard for him to shine like we all see he can.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

I think Few has his starting lineup and rotations set ..........baring injury .......

It really wouldn't be difficult to have all of Gonzaga's non-nationally televised games simulcast on ESPN+ or some other national streaming platform. The problem is that Gonzaga is a lame duck when it comes to media and IMG is not the solution.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    “ …like Roth …. takes his seat behind the bench”.
    Hmmmm.

Mike Roth (to my knowledge) NEVER sat in ANY seat … let alone one behind the bench.

“To be continued …”. Fr Tony Lehman, SJ
    ——-
    Some cherry picked stats

Most NCAA TOURNAMENT wins since 2015
    Gonzaga 20, Nova 17, UNC 16, Duke 15, Kentucky 13, Michigan 13, Virginia 11, Baylor 9
    -----
    Most FINAL FOUR wins since 2017
    UNC 2, Nova 2, Virginia 2, Baylor 2, Gonzaga 2, Michigan 1, TexasTech 1, Kentucky 0, Duke 0, Kansas 0

gonzagasaurous flex,
    could you explain more why its good that chet doesn't leave his feet? are there some situations where you would say its OK? It seemed people were ok with Bandon Clark 6'10" I think, jumping, as well as Zach Collins, Rui, elias harris (maybe he isn't a big, 6.7?)

Quote Originally Posted by bartruff1 View Post
    I think Few has his starting lineup and rotations set ..........baring injury .......
    Totally agree Bart................

The only really interesting thing left (IMO) is the battle for the 7th spot in the 7-man rotation. Hickman seems to have the edge right now over Sallis, but I think Sallis has a higher upside. Can't really lose either way, an embarrassment of riches. Also, as stated earlier in this thread, Gregg seems to be nipping at Watson's heels for the first big off the bench. Don't see Coach ever making that switch, but we'll see as the season wears on. Both of these matters will be settled in the UCLA and Duke games. After those games, the rotation will be set for the year.

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    What I really liked about Holmgren was when he started guarding that guard who was just killing Strawther or anyone else who guarded him...Holmgren totally shut him down...The kid didn't score a single bucket on Holmgrent. He is not only a good shot blocker he can guard a wing. So that tells us we can play 3 bigs at one time if we need to. Wow

Go Zags!!!
    I like where you're coming from Reborn, give Chet some run at the 3...............

Go ZAGS

I thought the team looked great.

I think the media situation probably is complicated and not nearly as simple and easy as the experts here have indicated.

With Watson, he will never be the guy that creates his own offense and in close games he never forces it.

With Gregg, I am still hoping to see him actually compete on the glass with guys. He has an incredibly low rebounding percentage (like Hickman gets a greater percentage of defensive boards) and that’s kind of a critical part of being a big man. Meanwhile Kaden’s rebounding percentage is Sabonis level rebounding. Since we already don’t have enough shots for the Timme/Chet/Strawther/Hunter’s on the team, I’m not sure how someone carved out minutes this year by floating around the perimeter proving he can shoot when we need someone to rebound and defend when Chet gets som air.

And when Chet sat in the second half it was Watson that guarded the guy who was killing us, keeping the shutout going.

It was fun to watch an opponent use passing and cutting when so much of hoops has become high ball screens or isolation.

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    3 charging fouls....He was a joke tonight. Played just the way he did last year. He missed at least 3 bunnies as well. I hope Gregg beats him out.

Go Zags!!!
    Wow calling a kid a joke because he did not play to your expectations. What a garbage post.

Quote Originally Posted by GoZags View Post
    Hmmmm.

Mike Roth (to my knowledge) NEVER sat in ANY seat … let alone one behind the bench.
    C’mon, GZ, metaphor alert.