• Show
Clear All
  • Reborn
    Zag for Life
    • Oct 2007

Gonzaga vs Bellarmine post game thoughts and analyses

Gonzag 92i
    Bellarmine50

i thought this was the best game of the year, on both offense and Defense. Good balanced scoring: Timme 25, Strawther 19 and Holmgren 18, Hickman 9 and Nembhard 9 and Gregg 5. Gonzaga shot 54% for the game and 48 from behind the 3 pt line and made 11 threes Best shooting night of the year from behind the arch.

I also thought the defence was outstanding the whole game, and held them to 50 pts. I thought the substitues played really good D as well. The team is sooo quick and togugh on D.

I loved the play where Sallis blocked a shot, got the ball and dribbled down court for a dunk. He is so intense.

Our point guards (Nemby and Hickman) are great. Nemby is one of the best in the country. He can really feed the open guys.

I enjoyed the game even with no announcers....hahaha
    Enjoyed seeing Holmgren look so much better on Offense and he is just a stud on defense.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!
  • ZANY
    Kennel Club
    • Dec 2020

Watson’s offensive problems are so perplexing. But his defense is always solid.

Comment

• HenneZag
      Zag for Life
      • Aug 2012

Much better showing overall. I've heard from many that Anton is much more improved on the offensive end. I don't see much improvement from last year. Still forces the issue, and struggles on what to do in traffic or near the rim. He his however stellar on defense, i just don't think we will see much improvement offensively.
      America's Team!

Comment

• ZAGS ATTACK BASKET
        Zag for Life
        • Feb 2016

We had a three headed monster tonight in Drew, Julian, and Chet. Ben is looking better to me every game. Nolan was 3 for 4 from deep tonight, really like his all around game.

Anton and Kaden value down last couple of games in my book. Kaden 5 fouls 5 minutes last game, Anton 5 fouls 12 minutes this game. Perhaps I'm getting so spoiled by Drew and Chet that I'm setting a unrealistic high bar for those 2 young men. What do you think?

Comment

• katman50
          Zag for Life
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZANY View Post
          But his defense is always solid.
          Anton fouled out in roughly 12 minutes of playing time. He appeared lackadaisical. He was whistled for at least 2 charging fouls. Disappointing night for Watson.

Comment

• Reborn
            Zag for Life
            • Oct 2007

Originally posted by katman50 View Post
            Anton fouled out in roughly 12 minutes of playing time. He appeared lackadaisical. He was whistled for at least 2 charging fouls. Disappointing night for Watson.
            3 charging fouls....He was a joke tonight. Played just the way he did last year. He missed at least 3 bunnies as well. I hope Gregg beats him out.

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• tyra
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Voted for Chet. Great overall game but what he did to Penn in the second half was true magic.

Comment

• GonzaGAW
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2012

- lots of thoughts on watson tonight..........i agree with the post that says let's be thankful he is so valuable on defense, but for now hope is about all gone that he is ever going to be an offensive plus for the team.

- what i liked is timmie shooting over 75% from the line. he is going to hurt many teams if he can consistently shoot 75% or better.

- espn stats had 4 blocks, really seemed like i saw about 6 or so.

Comment

• Reborn
                  Zag for Life
                  • Oct 2007

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                  - lots of thoughts on watson tonight..........i agree with the post that says let's be thankful he is so valuable on defense, but for now hope is about all gone that he is ever going to be an offensive plus for the team.

- what i liked is timmie shooting over 75% from the line. he is going to hurt many teams if he can consistently shoot 75% or better.

- espn stats had 4 blocks, really seemed like i saw about 6 or so.
                  What I really liked about Holmgren was when he started guarding that guard who was just killing Strawther or anyone else who guarded him...Holmgren totally shut him down...The kid didn't score a single bucket on Holmgrent. He is not only a good shot blocker he can guard a wing. So that tells us we can play 3 bigs at one time if we need to. Wow

Go Zags!!!

Comment

• StatZag
                    Banned
                    • Dec 2020

Originally posted by GonzaGAW View Post
                    Everyone pulls so hard for Watson, including staff and announcers, but its hard to see much progress. Don't know what explains it, but at this point I think it is what it is. Pretty unusual to have a 4yr player who starts for some of this freshman and soph years (on #1 seed teams!) but probably won't start for his upperclassman years.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ZANY View Post
                      Watson’s offensive problems are so perplexing. But his defense is always solid.
                      A on D, D on O. Simply cannot make a layup. Lost. The hometown discount has run its course. Otoh, Ben is so clearly the best bench big, I hope Few finds him soon. Chet is sooooo scary good.
                      Last edited by jazzdelmar; 11-20-2021, 04:18 AM.

Comment

• scott257
                        Zag for Life
                        • Mar 2009

I thought they played well tonight. I am so glad we are moving into a streak of ESPN games. The games broadcast by the WCC over Stadium are just pathetic. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the quality of the team Gonzaga puts on the floor and the efforts of the conference and Athletic Director’s office in making that product available. When will they (the Conference and Athletic Directors) make an effort to get this fixed?

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                          Zag for Life
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                          I thought they played well tonight. I am so glad we are moving into a streak of ESPN games. The games broadcast by the WCC over Stadium are just pathetic. Clearly there is a major disconnect between the quality of the team Gonzaga puts on the floor and the efforts of the conference and Athletic Director’s office in making that product available. When will they (the Conference and Athletic Directors) make an effort to get this fixed?
                          No, either they can’t be bothered or as the new AD told me, we can’t appreciate how complicated the media situation is. I thought we hired IMG a few years ago to improve our public face. It’s an embarrassment to the university, but out of town fans are simply not a priority. Fortunately this crop of OOC games is not worth watching, but now it looks like some WCC games will be competitive and we won’t see them either. Our non network media coverage is not even mid major.

Comment

• scott257
                            Zag for Life
                            • Mar 2009

Originally posted by jazzdelmar View Post
                            No, either they can’t be bothered or as the new AD told me, we can’t appreciate how complicated the media situation is. I thought we hired IMG a few years ago to improve our public face. It’s an embarrassment to the university, but out of town fans are simply not a priority. Fortunately this crop of OOC games is not worth watching, but now it looks like some WCC games will be competitive and we won’t see them either. Our non network media coverage is not even mid major.
                            I am sure things are complicated, I know when they show the games on a cable system in Dallas, I have to scramble to find a way to stream the game even when the cable service isn’t available in my area near Dallas (no cable is). Having said that, there is no excuse for the crap Stadium puts out. All of my television is streamed, I am fortunate enough to have a good high speed connection, the problem exists strictly with Stadium so when they say it is complicated, I think that is more of an excuse for a crappy contract with a sub-par provider.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                              Zag for Life
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by scott257 View Post
                              I am sure things are complicated, I know when they show the games on a cable system in Dallas, I have to scramble to find a way to stream the game even when the cable service isn’t available in my area near Dallas (no cable is). Having said that, there is no excuse for the crap Stadium puts out. All of my television is streamed, I am fortunate enough to have a good high speed connection, the problem exists strictly with Stadium so when they say it is complicated, I think that is more of an excuse for a crappy contract with a sub-par provider.
                              Couldn’t agree more. Just passing along what the new AD told me in a note. Much like Roth, he’s very courteous to notes, but also like Roth, he does nothing and then takes his seat behind the bench.

Comment

Working...
                              X