Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Gonzaga vs Bellarmine post game thoughts and analyses

Quote Originally Posted by Fonebone View Post
    I would be extremely surprised if Gregg ever moves ahead of Watson in any consistent manner. As noted by others we have plenty of offensive firepower.

Watson is a superb defender and has and can disrupt the offensive flow of teams. I would be surprised if the coaches don’t see Watson as one of the key factors for us and I mean playing at the level he is.

The coaches have gone out of their way to praise his offensive improvement, I’ll take them at their word versus a small sample size we have. I never understand the ease with which some posters tend to dismiss direct statements by coaches on specific aspects of a players ability based upon intense daily experience with them vs a few games we’ve seen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I understand where you're coming from.
    My counterpoint would be that the coaching staff sees him in practice, where he apparently shines and then overlook his performance in games.
    One of the better analogies I can come up with is a person can go to a target range and be an excellent marksman. But, when it comes to putting food on the table, they don't really get the job done in the real world when it counts. Which is fine, it is just a game after all.

I am pretty sure the coaches watch the games....

Quote Originally Posted by zagamatic View Post
    I understand where you're coming from.
    My counterpoint would be that the coaching staff sees him in practice, where he apparently shines and then overlook his performance in games.
    One of the better analogies I can come up with is a person can go to a target range and be an excellent marksman. But, when it comes to putting food on the table, they don't really get the job done in the real world when it counts. Which is fine, it is just a game after all.
    Your concept of “getting it done” is probably not aligned with coaching staff to be honest
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Please explain, you seem like you may have inside info.
    gonagasaurus,
    thank you, I hadn't thought of that, and I see what you mean.
    This is true of all players I would think, but perhaps it is more of an issue with big men? There are certainly lots of fake pumps and jumps under the basket, which is where the big men are likely to be.

I was impressed by Bellarmine and would definitely be rooting for them to win a game in the tournament.

Coach Davenport after game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tHbOx2ZoyQ
    But we don't play nobody.