Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga v UCLA 11/23 Predictions/Thoughts/What Do You Hope To See?

Cronin firing up the team.

He is great at getting his team ready to battle and to perform at a peak level - mentally & physically in the biggest games/moments.

Always seems to vibe with that "us vs world" mantra.

Recent article:

http://https://www.latimes.com/sport...armine-gonzaga

Sounds like they're going to be laser focused given tonight's results.

I'm probably over confident but I just don't think UCLA matches up well against GU. Compare this to last season where GU had zero depth and one real big (Timme) compared to this year where we have a loaded bench and Chet/Timme plus some other good bigs off the bench for depth. We started Kispert at PF last year in that matchup and had a real hard time guarding the paint against UCLA.

UCLA has one real big on the team without Riley. Can Johnson guard Timme one on one? Who the heck is going to guard Chet? Nwuba is the only other big that gets any minutes and he plays like 6 minutes a game, I seriously doubt playing him a lot is going to be part of the game plan, which means they will have a guard on Timme or Chet which is a huge mismatch. This isn't the same as going up against Villanova whose biggest player was 6'8. Also, Chet has really solidified GU's defense in the paint so UCLA isn't going to get nearly as many free buckets under the basket as they did last year.

UCLA's best shot is to get red hot from 3 otherwise I don't see how they will pull out the win. I doubt their big Johnson will be able to handle Timme 1-1 and if they double they are just asking for trouble. Going to say Gonzaga wins 80-71.

No OT needed. Zags win 86-77.

Zgas 90 - 84

Go!! Zags!!!
    Last edited by bigblahla; 11-23-2021 at 11:21 AM.
    "Learn from the past, Plan for the future, Live in the Now!"

Zags 91
    Bruins 79
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Zags 89
    Bruins 77

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Any guess on what GU players are assigned to guard Juzang, Bernard and Jaquez?

GU 84 0 UCLA 79
    I'm hoping to see Holmgren on Juzang; Nembhard on Bernard and Strawther on Jaquez. Will be tough to get those elbow jumpers off over Chet for whoever he is guarding.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Zags 87
    Bruins 83
    GO ZAGS!!!

Gonzaga 83
    UCLA 76

A great game as we expected. The Zags have a better bench. Both teams play really well, but Gonzag's defense is just a little better than UCLA'S. Gonzaga showed that they are going to be really tough on defense this year. The are so quick and guard so close to their defenders. What makes this defense go is how good Holmgren,Timme and Watson are. These three bigs can really defend anyone. And our guards: Nembhard, Bolton and Hickman can really defend the guards. We have three guys coming in off the bench who can really defend: Sallis, Watson and Hickman. This will be the difference in the game tonight. And of course Holmgren, who just may be the defensive player of the year. Baylor won it all last year because of their defense. Mark Few learned from that defeat and his team plays better defense this year iMO>
    On offense, of course I want to see if UCLA can defend Timme. And i want to see the improved play of Holmgren. And of course can the Zags hit from behind the arch. I say they will. The 3 point shooting has improved.!!!

There is only one thing that I really WANT TO SEE, and thats a big W at the end of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 83
    UCLA 76

A great game as we expected. The Zags have a better bench. Both teams play really well, but Gonzag's defense is just a little better than UCLA'S. Gonzaga showed that they are going to be really tough on defense this year. The are so quick and guard so close to their defenders. What makes this defense go is how good Holmgren,Timme and Watson are. These three bigs can really defend anyone. And our guards: Nembhard, Bolton and Hickman can really defend the guards. We have three guys coming in off the bench who can really defend: Sallis, Watson and Hickman. This will be the difference in the game tonight. And of course Holmgren, who just may be the defensive player of the year. Baylor won it all last year because of their defense. Mark Few learned from that defeat and his team plays better defense this year iMO>
    On offense, of course I want to see if UCLA can defend Timme. And i want to see the improved play of Holmgren. And of course can the Zags hit from behind the arch. I say they will. The 3 point shooting has improved.!!!

There is only one thing that I really WANT TO SEE, and thats a big W at the end of the game.

Go Zags!!!
    Reborn - I agree with everything you said - excellent post - right up until you said the three point shot has improved. I don’t see it and I’m not sure how you get there with that claim. Please elaborate or provide evidence as I would love to change my mind. I actually am concerned that the shooting from beyond the arc can be the one aspect of their game that might trip them up deep in the tournament. There will be a game where they will need it and it isn’t there.
    Love the Zags!!!

Bruins 82
    Zags 93

Go Zags - Beat the Bruins!!
    “The true measure of a Jesuit education,” said former Superior General Peter-Hans Kolvenbach, “is not what our students do, but who they become.”

zags 92
    bruins 90

Hope we continue to see the Frosh duo of Hunter and Hickman.

Even though Hunter has zero 3pt shot, good things happen around both of them.

Deflections, rebounds, put backs, solid passes, dribble drive, defense, etc.

Keep playing them even in tight games vs Top 5 teams. No reason Nemby need to play all 40, ever, with the talent around him.

97-90 GU

OT....

Zags 88
    Bruins 84

When was last time #1 played #2 and both teams from west coast?

Gritty, Competitive, Clutch.

That's UCLA in a nutshell.

Tyger, Juzang, Jacquez, Bernard

All seniors, 1 junior.

Fringe League guys, yet the best clutch shooters in college hoops.

Somehow UCLA makes the darndest shots. From mid range especially, yet 3pt too.

Then you bring in future lotto pick Watson off the bench. Not as gritty or clutch as aforementioned but extremely talented.

Their center is 6'10" 260lbs, and is a load defensively. All Big 10 defense guy.

This team beat a terrific Nova team who shot 60% from 3pt.

UCLA shoots it 42% 3pt as a team as well.

Zags have been tight defensively this season, esp inside the arc, yet we do give up the open 3pt shot.

UCLA will hit this time and time again. Wouldn't be surprised to see them make 10+ 3's tonight...

That trio just makes open looks.

We have an advantage on the inside. They can't cover Timme & Chet at same time with their lineup.

Then again how we do accout for their PF playing away from rim so much?

That mid range game of theirs is just funky. They shoot quite a few 3's yet their shot selection is unlike ANY team in hoops. Pros included.

They did the same vs Nova. Mid range jumpers.

We must continue to play Hunter & Hickman. They just make stuff happen when paired with our starting bigs, esp on D & transition. I worry Few gets tight again, as he did vs Tejas, yet hoping he surprises

Those guys have earned it.

1 vs 2. Amazing.

Zags 1st #1 team to play two Top 5 teams in the same week since Kentucky...in 1954.

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    They’ll be the first AP No. 1 team to play two top-5, non-conference opponents in the same week of the regular season since Kentucky did it in the 1954 Kentucky Invitational.

Didn’t read thread.

Any word on Cody Riley? Played 4 mins in first game before suffering MCL sprain. Didn’t see an update when I googled his name.

Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    Didn’t read thread.

Any word on Cody Riley? Played 4 mins in first game before suffering MCL sprain. Didn’t see an update when I googled his name.
    According to Cronin, returns in 2 wks.

Still a slight limp in street clothes last night.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    According to Cronin, returns in 2 wks.

Still a slight limp in street clothes last night.
    Thanks

Hoping our D comes ready to be relentless and stout from opening tip. No reckless fouls or overplay. Fight for every rebound. Don't get careless with the ball on offense. If we execute and don't have an off-night scoring, we have the depth to grind out a six- to eight-point W.

I assume Dan Monson has shared his "scouting report" what works/doesn't work.

Zags 88-72

I think UCLA will be hungry to get revenge tonight. I hope Mark Few has the team prepared. This will be close like the Final Four game

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    https://www.collegepollarchive.com/m...m1_vs_num2.cfm

Never!

#1 UCLA v #3 SCU in 1969 NCAA tournament... maybe some others like that.