Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga v UCLA 11/23 Predictions/Thoughts/What Do You Hope To See?

This is displayed on the ParkMGM and Aria giant signs on the strip about every 2 minutes.

https://imgur.com/a/j7tWGxI

Against Bellarmine their 5 starters combined for 35 points on 46 shots. Our guys combined for 73 points on 42 shots. UCLA has a high ceiling, but also a very low floor. They might keep it close, but they also might lose by 20.

GU-82
    UCLA-79

Zags 85
    UCLA 76
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    Against Bellarmine their 5 starters combined for 35 points on 46 shots. Our guys combined for 73 points on 42 shots. UCLA has a high ceiling, but also a very low floor. They might keep it close, but they also might lose by 20.
    Though Zags had the later game last night, they did a better job of taking care of business and resting key players:

Bruins starters played 18 minutes (Bernard), 25 minutes (Johnson, Juzang), 30 minutes (Campbell), 34 (Jaquez).
    Zags starters played 15 minutes (Timmer, Nembhard) 17 minutes (Bolton), 20 (Holmgren) and 25 (Strawther).

Reddit has comments stating UCLA players were sick and that's why they struggled somewhat vs Bellarmine. No idea if that is true or not; if so, I'm guessing we will see high intensity early then Bruins fade as the game goes on....or not.

I have nothing to do here at work today but obsess about this game! Can't wait to get home and start my beverage thread postings....though I best delay that a bit lest I peak far too early for the late tipoff.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    When was last time #1 played #2 and both teams from west coast?
    Houston 71- UCLA 69 at the Astrodome January 20, 1968. Both undefeated. Called the "Game of the Century" and established college basketball as a sport commodity comes close.

Can't think of another true West Coast team though.

Remember when...we used to worry about what we had to do to win?

Now....its their problem..Zags 92 Bruins 78

https://youtu.be/TTA2buWlNyM

Enjoy

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    Houston 71- UCLA 69 at the Astrodome January 20, 1968. Both undefeated. Called the "Game of the Century" and established college basketball as a sport commodity comes close.

Not sure you can call Houston West Coast.
    "And Morrison? He did what All-Americans do. He shot daggers in the daylight and stole a win." - Steve Kelley (Seattle Times)

"Gonzaga is a special place, with special people!" - Dan Dickau #21

Foo me once shame on you, Foo me twice shame on me.

2012 Foostrodamus - Foothsayer of Death

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    When was last time #1 played #2 and both teams from west coast?
    I posted this on page 2 of this thread. But, from what I heard during halftime of another game this weekend, they said this is the first time ever that a #1 vs #2 match up has had both teams from the west coast.

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post

First time ever. Just said it on ESPN.

43rd time AP 1 & 2 have met

Us 84
    Them 79

I expect to see just enough out of UCLA to keep my obnoxious UCLA-fan friends chirping throughout most of the game. I hope to see no reason for UCLA to get any #1 votes next Monday.

Zags - 83
    UCLA - 74
    My posts indicate that I don't seem to follow college basketball all that closely.

Quote Originally Posted by LongIslandZagFan View Post
    Not sure you can call Houston West Coast.
    I agree you can't call Houston a West Coast team, although it is the geographically closest team to any matchup with a true WC team. That why I said I can't think of another true West Coast team other than the two playing tonight.

Zags 88

Bruins 74

Books' spread: UCLA +7 after opening at +4. Guess drubbing an opponent by 53 with your starters on the court for half the game tends to do that. Thing is, on paper, it should have been at least 8 from the get-go (see Caduceus' insightful stat post). Course, GU's starters could begin the game like USC last March, with four TO's on their first six possessions. They might start by missing 10 straight from three, convert two of 12 FTs & all four dunk attempts. Uh huh.

In truthiness, about a third of the Bruin's total points in the Final Four game were scored by the guy Kispert was trying to guard, & Corey's now taken those skills to another level. So, that's 15 or 20 points on the plus side even before the jump. Both Holmgren (and especially) Timme need to forget getting theirs & pass out of double teams to wide open team-mates cutting for layups, dunks, or standing, waiting to convert wide-open treys. Zags have the depth & skill to lockdown the J boys on D & then fast break the Uclans into exhausted oblivion. Will they do it, though? Maybe not. Nevertheless, even playing less than their best, GU's depth and unmatched inside scoring should cover the line & obliterate the total: 91-77.

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Books' spread: UCLA +7 after opening at +4. Guess drubbing an opponent by 53 with your starters on the court for half the game tends to do that. Thing is, on paper, it should have been at least 8 from the get-go (see Caduceus' insightful stat post). Course, GU's starters could begin the game like USC last March, with four TO's on their first six possessions. They might start by missing 10 straight from three, convert two of 12 FTs & all four dunk attempts. Uh huh.

In truthiness, about a third of the Bruin's total points in the Final Four game were scored by the guy Kispert was trying to guard, & Corey's now taken those skills to another level. So, that's 15 or 20 points on the plus side even before the jump. Both Holmgren (and especially) Timme need to forget getting theirs & pass out of double teams to wide open team-mates cutting for layups, dunks, or standing, waiting to convert wide-open treys. Zags have the depth & skill to lockdown the J boys on D & then fast break the Uclans into exhausted oblivion. Will they do it, though? Maybe not. Nevertheless, even playing less than their best, GU's depth and unmatched inside scoring should cover the line & obliterate the total: 91-77.
    Kispert was smoked on defense vs UCLA, definitely fell on old habits that game, yet a lot of it was defending something we've never seen before -- mid range jumper galore

fwiw, UCLA resorted to the same thing vs Nova.

look at the shot selection/makes, and the number of top of the key jumpers stands out compared to their opponent: https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401372032

Quote Originally Posted by tempe85 View Post
    I'm probably over confident but I just don't think UCLA matches up well against GU. Compare this to last season where GU had zero depth and one real big (Timme) compared to this year where we have a loaded bench and Chet/Timme plus some other good bigs off the bench for depth. We started Kispert at PF last year in that matchup and had a real hard time guarding the paint against UCLA.

UCLA has one real big on the team without Riley. Can Johnson guard Timme one on one? Who the heck is going to guard Chet? Nwuba is the only other big that gets any minutes and he plays like 6 minutes a game, I seriously doubt playing him a lot is going to be part of the game plan, which means they will have a guard on Timme or Chet which is a huge mismatch. This isn't the same as going up against Villanova whose biggest player was 6'8. Also, Chet has really solidified GU's defense in the paint so UCLA isn't going to get nearly as many free buckets under the basket as they did last year.

UCLA's best shot is to get red hot from 3 otherwise I don't see how they will pull out the win. I doubt their big Johnson will be able to handle Timme 1-1 and if they double they are just asking for trouble. Going to say Gonzaga wins 80-71.
    I say let Sallis get after Campbell ans see if Campbell can handle that pressure.

Anyone else getting as nervous as I am?! Go Zags! Get 'er done!

Gonna be one loud Zag fan tonight!

Best place to pre-game around T-Mobile Arena....anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Gonna be one loud Zag fan tonight!

Best place to pre-game around T-Mobile Arena....anyone?
    Beer Park Paris

Just before halftime Holmgren is going to attempt "the shot."
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Quote Originally Posted by krozman View Post
    Just before halftime Holmgren is going to attempt "the shot."
    Ha, ha. You know, he just might.

Lots of reasons to be worried about UCLA with all their experience, but I have the feeling that (1) the Zags are better, and (2) the Zags will be really up for this one. I don't think it will be that close.

GU 90-78.

Zags 87
    Bruins 80

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Go Zags ! Beat the Bruins !
    GU - 86 UCLA - 79