Thread: 2021 - 2022 Season

Default 2021 - 2022 Season

I thought i would start a new thread about the current season as a whole and not any individual game. I will throw out two observations/questions I would love some feedback on to start it off.

Where does the consistent scoring threat come from when Gonzaga faces a bigger and more aggressive front court than they have faced in the first 3 games. If Chet Holmgren’s defense is ahead of his offense right now and we don’t have a consistent deep threat as we have had in the past – when Drew Timme has his hands full down low and only has an average night not a 37 point night, how challenging will it be for Gonzaga to consistently score enough points to win? In years past Gonzaga had players like Kispert, Norvell, Williams-Goss, even players like Tillie, Wiltjer, and Olynk plus others who could be a consistent threat away from the basket but this year there doesn’t seem to be that “go-to” consistent threat that can be relied upon if Timme is bottled up? Do we need someone other than Timme who can average 15-17 PPG on a consistent basis?

Is anybody surprised at how quiet Nembhard has been? Last year he averaged 9.2 PPG in 29.9 minutes which translates to 12.3 points per 40 minutes. This year he is averaging 7.3 PPG in 31.3 minutes which translates to 9.3 points per 40 minutes. That is a full 3 points per 40 minutes lower than year. Given that last year's team was an elite scoring team that averaged over 90 PPG and this year's team is younger, more inexperienced, and does not seem to have the elite scoring abilities as we saw last year - I was under the impression that Nembhard would try and hunt his shot more and be a bigger scorer than he was last year but to date that has not be in the case at all.

Thank you to all who provide your opinions on these questions for me.
    Love the Zags!!!

Concern 1: if Timme is shut down or doesnt score 20 plus and we are assuming then the other bigs dont get 15-20.....I see Strawther and Bolton as the point add, while it is early we are shooting just about on par with last years 3 point shooting 33.9 to 36.5 and have our bigs shooting more than last year. However, we are shooting better from the 2 than last year but again it is early. I just dont see too many teams shutting down Timme, Holmgren and Watson forcing guards to score 25 plus...........

Concern 2: Nope he is a senior leader deferring early to the learning of the youngsters.....that is one shot per game average...not a big deal this early in season IMO....he is averaging better assist to turnover ratio than last year so far and is shooting the 3 ball far better than last year (44.4 to 32.3%)....and the team is averaging ABOUT the same points per game as last year (89 to 92.1) he showed up big time in Texas and will continue to show up when time is needed as a senior leader
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

There’s a lot of worrying about a limited sample size of data. Yes, this team isn’t perfect, but there is no such thing. They handily beat another top 5 team at home, and will have more answers as the season progresses. I really wouldn’t worry too much that the Zags chose to exploit Drew Timme so much against Texas. The strategy proved excellent from start to finish. I don’t think that it’s the only game plan that Mark Few has at his disposal. Frankly, I think we would have seen Chet go off more if Texas had stayed in the zone they flashed.

Nembhard has been a consummate point this season. He should have more assists, but Timme often needs a few dribbles to throw off his defender. I’m not worried about his point production at this juncture since he has been adept at running the offense and has been playing good defense.

Lastly, I don’t think Watson is getting nearly enough credit for how much he has improved on both ends. He is much more engaged, plays with higher energy, and appears ready to attack off of offensive rebounds. His defensive positioning is also so much better. I have a feeling we will see him make some crucial plays in the next few big games. Really liking what I’ve seen from him.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

our guns are Holmgren, Gregg and Julian. Hickman his senior year in high school took about 120 3pt attempts and made 48% of them, with decent assists around 3 p/game. Sallis averaged about 20 pts per game in high school and reminds me in some ways of Goss, who scored from all over the field; lots of push shots, pull up jumpers, and driving to the hoop all game long, he is not a stand around and wait for a 3 pt opportunity. With our inside scoring threats of Anton, Timme and chet we don't need to be killers from the 3, just decent. I know Andrew was great last year at pull up 2pt jumpers. While defenders double team chet and timme, all of our guards could do the same. Last year we were national leaders at 2 pt shots. Strawther is learning to be more and more a team player, and as he distributes more he will get better shots than so many that he now forces, often with open men closer to the basket. His scoring total might be less, but by reducing the number of bad shots he takes his percentages from everywhere ought to go up. One of Few's mantras is try to only take good shots, don't come down the court and chuck up a 3. Trust your team-mates they are good too. Sallis, Hickman, Strawther no longer have their high school team depending on them to do the scoring. If you don't have a good shot keep passing the ball around, and moving without the ball, somebody will get a good shot. I don't know who we have that is a lousy shot from the 3? Perry, Timme, it seems to me this whole team can shoot respectably.

We may not have the low 40's three point shooters we often have, Pangos, Josh, Kispert, Bell, Wiltjer, you are right. I would not be surprised at seasons end to see our guns there, though and maybe somebody else.

Quote Originally Posted by jsnider View Post

Where does the consistent scoring threat come from when Gonzaga faces a bigger and more aggressive front court than they have faced in the first 3 games. If Chet Holmgren’s defense is ahead of his offense right now and we don’t have a consistent deep threat as we have had in the past – when Drew Timme has his hands full down low and only has an average night not a 37 point night, how challenging will it be for Gonzaga to consistently score enough points to win
    From what I've seen so far, Holmgren is one of the smartest and most unselfish bigs I've seen. An example is the way he keeps almost all of his blocked shots in play, often controlling the ball or tipping it to a teammate like Russell or Walton did. I have no doubts about his scoring ability. In the Texas game, they failed to double Timme and he shot 79%. There was no need for Chet's offense in that game. If Texas had doubled Timme, you'd have seen Chet play a different game.

I was chatting with my old GU roommate the other night and I was saying how I always doubt GU and have concerns, but part of the reason is because I am so busy these days, I pretty much only watch GU games, so my measuring stick is typically against other GU teams. While there are some areas that could be improved upon, I need to step back and realize we are #1 in the nation, and our weaknesses would be drooled over by most other programs out there, even in the top 25.