Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Gonzaga vs Alcorn Post Game thoughts and analysis

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,786

    Default Gonzaga vs Alcorn Post Game thoughts and analysis

    Gonzaga 84
    Alcorn 57

    I was only able to watch the first half because the stream I was watching ended at halftime. It was sickening. I thought the Zags played really great the first half. I really enjoyed watching the game. Everyone played great.

    Strawtere lmled the scoring with 18 and most all were in the first half. Next Sallis had 11, and he played great. I really enjoyed watching him. He was my favorite player that first half. Timme had 10 and Holmgren 11. Nembhard hit 2-3 from behind the arch, and Strawther 3-4. It was good to see Strawther shooting well again, and Nembhard also hitting a couple 3's.

    The second half could not have been much fun to watch...and I checked out ESPN stats of the game and it looked like the bench played really crappy....I mean they couldn't even score a single point in the last 3 and a half minutes. Actually now I"M kind of glad I didn't see the second half and especially the end of the game. But I did see that the starters didn't play over 23 or 24 minutes for the game. So that made a difference.

    I suppose we'll see more in the next game.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    7,975

    Default

    Well they pushed the ball for the first 15 minutes or so.....

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Gonzaga 84
    Alcorn 57

    I was only able to watch the first half because the stream I was watching ended at halftime. It was sickening. I thought the Zags played really great the first half. I really enjoyed watching the game. Everyone played great.

    Strawtere lmled the scoring with 18 and most all were in the first half. Next Sallis had 11, and he played great. I really enjoyed watching him. He was my favorite player that first half. Timme had 10 and Holmgren 11. Nembhard hit 2-3 from behind the arch, and Strawther 3-4. It was good to see Strawther shooting well again, and Nembhard also hitting a couple 3's.

    The second half could not have been much fun to watch...and I checked out ESPN stats of the game and it looked like the bench played really crappy....I mean they couldn't even score a single point in the last 3 and a half minutes. Actually now I"M kind of glad I didn't see the second half and especially the end of the game. But I did see that the starters didn't play over 23 or 24 minutes for the game. So that made a difference.

    I suppose we'll see more in the next game.

    Go Zags!!!
    Kind of wish my recording pooped out for the second half too.. it was pretty ugly….

    Sallis played with great energy. Chet showed flashes but was also very careless with the ball. Strawther hit shots but needs to play hard all the time. Drew was coasting most of the game. Too many careless turnovers. Can’t build bad habits. Gregg has a ways to go.. still early Sacre like robotic. Bolton , Nembhard and drew all knew they didn’t have to do much. Felt like if the starters stayed in this would have been a 45-50 point win. However the bench guys have got to play better.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    - the past 6 years or so we have had elite-great teams, but each never seems to hold focus and effort for a full....i'll say 35 minutes. over and over it is a grade A first half like tonight, followed by C effort for most of the second half. that is my glass half empty comment

    - glass half full. hey a win is a win, starters shot well from 3. assist ratio very good, thought gregg played nicely while on the floor.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Pretty easy to look good against Alcorn State and we looked sub par tonight on multiple aspects. The 2nd half may have been one of the most frustrating 20 minutes of Zag ball I've seen in awhile. Lack of effort, careless with the ball, telegraphed passes. Chet looked to be in slo motion, Hickman was pretty loose with his handle and shot selection was atrocious. We can get away with this most of the year but next week we will get humbled of we can't figure some things out. We can't count on Timme scoring 50% of our points every night. Anton does look better but seems to force things when trying to make moves inside, just doesn't seem natural. I'm venting here and may sound harsh but just what I saw tonight. We've been spoiled with well oiled machines early and thus team has work to do. Ball movement and chemistry is about 1/3 of the way there.
    America's Team!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - the past 6 years or so we have had elite-great teams, but each never seems to hold focus and effort for a full....i'll say 35 minutes. over and over it is a grade A first half like tonight, followed by C effort for most of the second half. that is my glass half empty comment

    - glass half full. hey a win is a win, starters shot well from 3. assist ratio very good, thought gregg played nicely while on the floor.
    Power went out right after the under 12 time out. Watched a couple minutes on my phone to where Sallis was fouled with about 10 and some change left. After his two free throws we had 72 points and then only scored 12 more the rest of the game? When I checked on the final and saw 84 as our final I thought it had to be a mistake. What happened? Did the power go out in the Mac? Bench should be embarrassed.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    334

    Default

    They played well. Will learn from the game. Some of the over the top comments crack me up. 2nd half was sort of a exhibition style. Comes with the opponent and score.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Spink View Post
    They played well. Will learn from the game. Some of the over the top comments crack me up. 2nd half was sort of a exhibition style. Comes with the opponent and score.
    People have the ability to see the game differently and have various opinions. The constant is were all Zag fans and have high expectations. Exhibition style is an excuse for poor execution. If that is true, we play like we practice and that was poor performance. We're the #1 team in the country this will come with the territory.
    America's Team!

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    8,635

    Default

    We want the 5 bench players to be the #1 team in the country!
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Posts
    321

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    We want the 5 bench players to be the #1 team in the country!
    No, but I expect the bench of the #1 team in the country to score more than 12 points in 10 minutes against Alcorn St.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    497

    Default

    ......Alcorn State..and everything that comes with it. Nothing to see here. Move along.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Nov 2018
    Location
    Sri Lanka
    Posts
    334

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    People have the ability to see the game differently and have various opinions. The constant is were all Zag fans and have high expectations. Exhibition style is an excuse for poor execution. If that is true, we play like we practice and that was poor performance. We're the #1 team in the country this will come with the territory.
    Executed great when it matter for this time of year. Always opportunities to improve and they will learn. Watch high level college and professional teams with a huge lead. The result. Not 100% crisp basketball. I think your comments were inaccurate considering the context.

    Edit: didn’t change anything above. My response may be a bad spirit on my part. Not intended. Last sentence wasn’t needed or justified.
    Last edited by Spink; 11-16-2021 at 01:00 AM.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,844

    Default

    I could not watch the game but did just watch the postgame interview w Few. He seemed far less distressed about the team’s 2nd half performance than many posters here appear to be. My guess is the staff will break down and review the film w the team and address areas of needed improvement per usual…..but they aren’t gonna overreact and get all up in the grill of players because this is such a young team, certainly not publicly anyway. These are 18-22 year olds many new to D1 hoops. R E L A X…. Few et al are pros at this.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    1,827

    Default

    Also feel like maybe I watched a different game than many others here...I thought the second (and third) units were fine, it's not like seasons past where they puked out a big lead late second half and Few had to bring the starters back in. I thought Sallis and Gregg in particular looked good and have the tools to build on. Not too worried.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    20,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagHouse View Post
    Power went out right after the under 12 time out. Watched a couple minutes on my phone to where Sallis was fouled with about 10 and some change left. After his two free throws we had 72 points and then only scored 12 more the rest of the game? When I checked on the final and saw 84 as our final I thought it had to be a mistake. What happened? Did the power go out in the Mac? Bench should be embarrassed.
    Power out here same time. Are u in San Diego?

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jan 2019
    Location
    not in Spokane
    Posts
    1,419

    Default

    My stream was fine for most of the night. Couple of hiccups, but nothing to get too excited over. As to the game itself, it was over by halftime. I can't blame the players for losing a bit of focus; they all knew they were playing Cupcake State.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

  17. #17
    Join Date
    May 2019
    Posts
    428

    Default

    WCC/STADIUM streem was great on my phone. Tried to watch on my pad and it was unwatchable. Wheel of death and some glitch every 30 seconds. Obviously not an IT person, is there a reason for this?

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,241

    Default

    So people complain when Few keeps the rotation tight, and then complain that we aren't as good when the rotation is opened up. Okay.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,834

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FloridaZagFan View Post
    WCC/STADIUM streem was great on my phone. Tried to watch on my pad and it was unwatchable. Wheel of death and some glitch every 30 seconds. Obviously not an IT person, is there a reason for this?
    lack of $$$ for a better service

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    The Rock
    Posts
    1,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    So people complain when Few keeps the rotation tight, and then complain that we aren't as good when the rotation is opened up. Okay.
    Yep. Fickle fans. Spot on.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,786

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post
    We want the 5 bench players to be the #1 team in the country!
    This !!! I got a good laugh out of this post. Thanks

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,677

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by katman50 View Post
    Yep. Fickle fans. Spot on.
    Or maybe we know the importance of players other than are starting 5 producing and making good decisions. It's early yes but a concern imo. The beautiful thing about this board is we don't have to agree...go figure.
    America's Team!

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Former PNW, now Louisville, KY
    Posts
    226

    Default

    I was pleased with:

    1) Improvement on three point shooting. Strawther was 3/4, Nembhard 2/3, Holmgren and Bolton both 1/2 and Timme missed his only 3 pointer. Four of the five top minutes players hitting for 58%. Bolton accounted for over 50% of the three point scoring the previous two games. Glad to see more balance here.

    2) Overall Scoring was also balanced amongst the top five guys. Four in double figures with Nembhard and Bolton close behind. Timme was a joy to watch in the Texas game, but balanced scoring makes it difficult for opponents to design a game plan to shut down a team's primary scorer.

    3) Sallis got good minutes and put up good numbers, although I was surprised he didn't have any assists. It was nice to see him shine.

    4) Gregg came out and immediately made an impact with confident scoring underneath. He plays with a lot of poise despite his youth. I loved the flashes of Perry's passion in prior games, but his five fouls in five minutes in this game may shift playing time in Gregg's favor in the near future.

    I look forward to games in person and/or televised games on network TV as the streaming was functional, but frustrating at times.

  24. #24
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    489

    Default

    Strawther scores 18 as No. 1 Gonzaga tops Alcorn State 84-57

    https://www.yahoo.com/news/strawther...040343866.html

  25. #25
    Join Date
    Apr 2021
    Location
    Charlotte, NC
    Posts
    4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scrooner View Post
    So people complain when Few keeps the rotation tight, and then complain that we aren't as good when the rotation is opened up. Okay.
    I rather have the latter. It's better the 2nd unit learn more and make mistakes now than later on in bigger games.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •