Thread: So we're still number 1... but UCLA got 6 votes

Default So we're still number 1... but UCLA got 6 votes

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Does that offend anyone? UCLA needed overtime to beat a 4th-ranked Villanova team at home, and trailed significantly before the end of regulation. We controlled the game from tip to finish against a 5th-ranked Texas, and there are still people who think UCLA is better? I'm biased, because I think any team that relies so heavily on a single player for the lion's share of its point is a fraud, and will get exposed when that single player has an off night, so I wanted to ask other observers.

I did watch both games, and Juzang made a lot of shots, but he also took a lot of ill-advised shots; early clock, deep 2-pointers, with a hand in his face, fading away. Unless he is the next Steph Curry, can a sustainable offence be built around that?
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Go Zags!!!

Not offended at all; Bruins are a very talented team. And they are not a one trick pony show, there's some guy named Jaime something who is pretty darn good. So here's the story on next Tuesday, short and sweet. We need to contain both Jonny and Jaime, or get ready for a 5-1 record. Can't expect Drew to put up 37 every night.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

Agree, they are darn good and Nova is a recent multi-NC winner and a blue blood unlike Texas, which has been krap.

Power 5 school in LA TV market with UCLA's history is worth 6 votes alone.

I'm interested in the votes after we play them.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

Quote Originally Posted by zagdontzig View Post

Does that offend anyone? UCLA needed overtime to beat a 4th-ranked Villanova team at home, and trailed significantly before the end of regulation. We controlled the game from tip to finish against a 5th-ranked Texas, and there are still people who think UCLA is better? I'm biased, because I think any team that relies so heavily on a single player for the lion's share of its point is a fraud, and will get exposed when that single player has an off night, so I wanted to ask other observers.

I did watch both games, and Juzang made a lot of shots, but he also took a lot of ill-advised shots; early clock, deep 2-pointers, with a hand in his face, fading away. Unless he is the next Steph Curry, can a sustainable offence be built around that?
    Are you talking about UCLA or the Zags? UCLA's starting lineup scoring was a lot more balanced than ours was against Texas. If anything we were the ones who relied heavily on a single player.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Can't expect Drew to put up 37 every night.
    Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    Are you talking about UCLA or the Zags? UCLA's starting lineup scoring was a lot more balanced than ours was against Texas. If anything we were the ones who relied heavily on a single player.
    I agree that in one game we relied on Timme more than they relied on Juzang. However, we can score through 6 guys, whereas I'm not sure they have a ton of scoring beyond Juzang and Jaquez.

Good thing with have a head-to-head not too far off to settle this.
    Go Zags!!!

Do polls bother me? Never.

Let me quote UCLA's late great John Wooden:

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

I was appalled in 2013 when fans wore T-shirts celebrating the Zags first #1 ranking in the polls. It was embarassing in my judgment. Truly amateur hour in that portion of our fanbase.

For the same reason, I won't lose sleep if some folks vote in a meaningless poll that UCLA is the better team.

That question will no longer be hypothetical next week in Vegas. The Zags character will decide the Zags reputation (in the polls and otherwise) as the season grinds on. The final poll always has the national champion ranked number 1; reputation and character converge. That's actually the first and only poll I will care about. In the interim, Go Zags. I like this team's chances.

Polls are just window dressing for casual fans, they don't really mean anything for the first 2 months of the season. Rankings will start, but just start, to become clearer after feast week.
    That said, it is nice to see a 1 next to the Zags.

Quote Originally Posted by 229SintoZag View Post

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

I was appalled in 2013 when fans wore T-shirts celebrating the Zags first #1 ranking in the polls. It was embarassing in my judgment. Truly amateur hour in that portion of our fanbase.

For the same reason, I won't lose sleep if some folks vote in a meaningless poll that UCLA is the better team.

That question will no longer be hypothetical next week in Vegas. The Zags character will decide the Zags reputation (in the polls and otherwise) as the season grinds on. The final poll always has the national champion ranked number 1; reputation and character converge. That's actually the first and only poll I will care about. In the interim, Go Zags. I like this team's chances.
    I will say, even though we now are entitled to "act like we've been here," I think our humble fanbase deserved to celebrate the first #1 ranking, because we actually hadn't been there before.

Generally speaking, I admire your points, and they are well taken.
    Go Zags!!!

Did he say that while his players were being paid or after he retired?

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/john...yers-were-paid
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

After he cashed Sam Gilbert’s last payoff. No sports figure in US is more idolized and less deserving of any of it. He bought the two best centers in CBB history for 6 of his titles. Coasted to the rest with no comp west of the Mississippi. Then in retirement he haunted all his successors from his aerie at Pauley. Not a nice man.

If you take that Poll and $5 to Starbucks you can get a cup or coffee.....but don't forget the $5.....

The most important thing is that the Zags get better in the next week. The head to head matchup will determine who will get the first place votes. If your angry then get motivated. I think if Chet rebounds next game and has a better performance we are in good shape. However, this next week is really important to get our balanced offensive flow going in the right direction.

Polls are all about not losing.....UCLA is going to lose several games in the PAC....as we have seen in the past....if Gonzaga doesn't lose it will keep it's #1 ranking and get a #1 seed....
    Last edited by bartruff1; 11-15-2021 at 09:30 PM.

I'm not offended, we play them here shortly anyway, so it will all change based on the outcome of that game. Regardless, it all get's decided on the court anyway.

Why would you be embarrassed when fans wore T-Shirts celebrating the first time being ranked #1 in the polls? That was a long time coming and very unusual for a mid major at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by willandi View Post

Anyone that knows anything about Wooden that his titles came from Sam Gilbert playing all those super stars to come to ucla. Wooden was untouchable though, but the ncaa burned Harrick for doing far less at the same school.

No. But if my math is correct, two voters had the Zags #3 or one had them 4th.
    Still not upset but interesting nonetheless.

Edit to add. Yup. https://collegepolltracker.com/baske...-bulldogs/2021

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    Why would you be embarrassed when fans wore T-Shirts celebrating the first time being ranked #1 in the polls? That was a long time coming and very unusual for a mid major at the time.
    I was not embarrassed to be ranked #1 of course. I celebrated it as we should. However:

It's not something you memorialize on a T shirt. T Shirts are for championships (conference, national title) or Final Fours, etc. Something concrete.

Can you imagine any other top 10 program making T shirts about being (temporarily) ranked #1 in the AP poll?

I guess opinions differ but I felt that the program had, by then, already achieved so much that was concrete that we were beyond celebrating a mere transitory, and relatively-speaking meaningless, poll ranking. The value of that poll became clear a few weeks later when we exited as a 1 seed to Wichita State in the Sweet 16, after which anyone caught wearing one of those shirts would have looked even sillier.

Seems as though they had more first place votes in the preseason. Oddly, it appears there was two less voters in this poll.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

the foo used her vote for tacos. the foo hopes that does not offend anyone.
    Sincerely,

the foo

Bright Lights, Big City

Sent via mobile device

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

^^^^^^

very cool