• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • zagdontzig
    Zag for Life
    • Mar 2016

So we're still number 1... but UCLA got 6 votes

Find the 2023-24 NCAAM rankings on ESPN, including the Coaches and AP poll for the top 25 NCAAM teams.

Does that offend anyone? UCLA needed overtime to beat a 4th-ranked Villanova team at home, and trailed significantly before the end of regulation. We controlled the game from tip to finish against a 5th-ranked Texas, and there are still people who think UCLA is better? I'm biased, because I think any team that relies so heavily on a single player for the lion's share of its point is a fraud, and will get exposed when that single player has an off night, so I wanted to ask other observers.

I did watch both games, and Juzang made a lot of shots, but he also took a lot of ill-advised shots; early clock, deep 2-pointers, with a hand in his face, fading away. Unless he is the next Steph Curry, can a sustainable offence be built around that?
    Originally posted by Reborn
    Go Zags!!!
    Self-Proclaimed GIF Proprietor
  • SorenTodd45
    Banned
    • Jan 2019

Not offended at all; Bruins are a very talented team. And they are not a one trick pony show, there's some guy named Jaime something who is pretty darn good. So here's the story on next Tuesday, short and sweet. We need to contain both Jonny and Jaime, or get ready for a 5-1 record. Can't expect Drew to put up 37 every night.

Comment

• jazzdelmar
      Zag for Life
      • Feb 2007

Agree, they are darn good and Nova is a recent multi-NC winner and a blue blood unlike Texas, which has been krap.

Comment

• tinfoilzag
        Zag for Life
        • Jun 2009

Power 5 school in LA TV market with UCLA's history is worth 6 votes alone.

I'm interested in the votes after we play them.
        The quality of our thoughts and ideas can only be as good as the quality of our language.

Comment

• hockeyzag
          Bleeds GU Blue
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
          https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

Does that offend anyone? UCLA needed overtime to beat a 4th-ranked Villanova team at home, and trailed significantly before the end of regulation. We controlled the game from tip to finish against a 5th-ranked Texas, and there are still people who think UCLA is better? I'm biased, because I think any team that relies so heavily on a single player for the lion's share of its point is a fraud, and will get exposed when that single player has an off night, so I wanted to ask other observers.

I did watch both games, and Juzang made a lot of shots, but he also took a lot of ill-advised shots; early clock, deep 2-pointers, with a hand in his face, fading away. Unless he is the next Steph Curry, can a sustainable offence be built around that?
          Are you talking about UCLA or the Zags? UCLA's starting lineup scoring was a lot more balanced than ours was against Texas. If anything we were the ones who relied heavily on a single player.
          "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
          -Zach Norvell Jr.

Comment

• zagdontzig
            Zag for Life
            • Mar 2016

Originally posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
            Can't expect Drew to put up 37 every night.
            Originally posted by hockeyzag View Post
            Are you talking about UCLA or the Zags? UCLA's starting lineup scoring was a lot more balanced than ours was against Texas. If anything we were the ones who relied heavily on a single player.
            I agree that in one game we relied on Timme more than they relied on Juzang. However, we can score through 6 guys, whereas I'm not sure they have a ton of scoring beyond Juzang and Jaquez.

Good thing with have a head-to-head not too far off to settle this.
            Go Zags!!!

Comment

• 229SintoZag
              Zag for Life
              • Feb 2007

Do polls bother me? Never.

Let me quote UCLA's late great John Wooden:

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

I was appalled in 2013 when fans wore T-shirts celebrating the Zags first #1 ranking in the polls. It was embarassing in my judgment. Truly amateur hour in that portion of our fanbase.

For the same reason, I won't lose sleep if some folks vote in a meaningless poll that UCLA is the better team.

That question will no longer be hypothetical next week in Vegas. The Zags character will decide the Zags reputation (in the polls and otherwise) as the season grinds on. The final poll always has the national champion ranked number 1; reputation and character converge. That's actually the first and only poll I will care about. In the interim, Go Zags. I like this team's chances.

Comment

• zagamatic
                Zag for Life
                • Aug 2009

Polls are just window dressing for casual fans, they don't really mean anything for the first 2 months of the season. Rankings will start, but just start, to become clearer after feast week.
                That said, it is nice to see a 1 next to the Zags.

Comment

• zagdontzig
                  Zag for Life
                  • Mar 2016

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post

"Be more concerned with your character than with your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."

I was appalled in 2013 when fans wore T-shirts celebrating the Zags first #1 ranking in the polls. It was embarassing in my judgment. Truly amateur hour in that portion of our fanbase.

For the same reason, I won't lose sleep if some folks vote in a meaningless poll that UCLA is the better team.

That question will no longer be hypothetical next week in Vegas. The Zags character will decide the Zags reputation (in the polls and otherwise) as the season grinds on. The final poll always has the national champion ranked number 1; reputation and character converge. That's actually the first and only poll I will care about. In the interim, Go Zags. I like this team's chances.
                  I will say, even though we now are entitled to "act like we've been here," I think our humble fanbase deserved to celebrate the first #1 ranking, because we actually hadn't been there before.

Generally speaking, I admire your points, and they are well taken.
                  Go Zags!!!

Comment

• willandi
                    Zag for Life
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by 229SintoZag View Post

Did he say that while his players were being paid or after he retired?

Not even a smile? What's your problem!

Comment

• jazzdelmar
                      Zag for Life
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by willandi View Post
                      Did he say that while his players were being paid or after he retired?

https://www.nbcsports.com/video/john...yers-were-paid
                      After he cashed Sam Gilbert’s last payoff. No sports figure in US is more idolized and less deserving of any of it. He bought the two best centers in CBB history for 6 of his titles. Coasted to the rest with no comp west of the Mississippi. Then in retirement he haunted all his successors from his aerie at Pauley. Not a nice man.

Comment

• bartruff1
                        Zag for Life
                        • Jan 2010

If you take that Poll and $5 to Starbucks you can get a cup or coffee.....but don't forget the $5.....

Comment

• zagfan1
                          Zag for Life
                          • Nov 2007

The most important thing is that the Zags get better in the next week. The head to head matchup will determine who will get the first place votes. If your angry then get motivated. I think if Chet rebounds next game and has a better performance we are in good shape. However, this next week is really important to get our balanced offensive flow going in the right direction.

Comment

• bartruff1
                            Zag for Life
                            • Jan 2010

Polls are all about not losing.....UCLA is going to lose several games in the PAC....as we have seen in the past....if Gonzaga doesn't lose it will keep it's #1 ranking and get a #1 seed....
                            Last edited by bartruff1; 11-15-2021, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Mr Vulture
                              Zag for Life
                              • May 2008

Originally posted by zagdontzig View Post
                              https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/rankings

I'm not offended, we play them here shortly anyway, so it will all change based on the outcome of that game. Regardless, it all get's decided on the court anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X