Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: After watching the Texas game. . .

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    . . .did you come away feeling more confident this year's edition of the Bulldogs was equipped to make a deep run in March ?

I realize UCLA, Duke, Alabama, and Texas Tech will also offer barometers of the season to come. Zags might drop one (two ?) in that time frame. Even if they don't emerge unscathed on 12/30 when the WCC season begins against the Toreros, it looks like the vets and newcomers have the potential to be a remarkable squad.

What's your take ?
    Yes, very much so...I picked a UT win Saturday after watching us in two of three games...BUT in no way was I expecting Timme to totally DOMINATE in that game and for Chet to have only scored two points with all the floor time he had...good things to come IMO...Don't think Timme will dominate UCLA but also don't think UCLA will score the way they did against Villanova...again jmho

Some if's for the deep run stuff. If we can get better 3 point production and for my thinking, playing the 7 man is dangerous because we need 8 - 10 to gain some experience and run time when we get in foul trouble. I'll guess that will happen in league play. We need more than one knock down 3 player.
    Watching Villi and UCLA it stood out that they defend the perimeter much tighter than the Zags do or ever have. We came close when Goss was here. That is also a trait of the historic great teams out east, they play defense right in your grill without fouling.
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

I'll be honest I came away a little underwhelmed. After watching the first few games I was surprised how much some of our players dropped off against a tougher team.

We certainly looked incredibly skilled and balanced against the first few tune up teams, but against Texas we looked like we had only three guys who could excel against real competition (Timme, Bolton, and Nembhard). The rest looked a bit too timid for my taste. I count Holmgren and Strawther among those who I assumed would've really taken it to a team like Texas, but both seemed unable to do what they wanted to on offense. I know he's young, but I expected a lot more from Holmgren, considering how much attention Timme was attracting from the Texas D.

Also I continue to be surprised at how strangely uncomfortable Watson still looks on the offensive side of the court. Maybe that's because I've built him up so much in my head after the first few games of his freshman year, but I feel like he hasn't quite found his niche in the offense. And he doesn't seem to have any clear go-to moves at this stage of his career.

Someone please disagree with me on all fronts and prove me wrong, I'm no expert on the game, just a casual Zag fan.
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take."
    -Zach Norvell Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by hockeyzag View Post
    I'll be honest I came away a little underwhelmed. After watching the first few games I was surprised how much some of our players dropped off against a tougher team.

We certainly looked incredibly skilled and balanced against the first few tune up teams, but against Texas we looked like we had only three guys who could excel against real competition (Timme, Bolton, and Nembhard). The rest looked a bit too timid for my taste. I count Holmgren and Strawther among those who I assumed would've really taken it to a team like Texas, but both seemed unable to do what they wanted to on offense. I know he's young, but I expected a lot more from Holmgren, considering how much attention Timme was attracting from the Texas D.

Also I continue to be surprised at how strangely uncomfortable Watson still looks on the offensive side of the court. Maybe that's because I've built him up so much in my head after the first few games of his freshman year, but I feel like he hasn't quite found his niche in the offense. And he doesn't seem to have any clear go-to moves at this stage of his career.

Someone please disagree with me on all fronts and prove me wrong, I'm no expert on the game, just a casual Zag fan.
    Agree on all above, save Watson.

He only played 19 mins and doesn't play long enough stretches to get comfortable or within the flow of the offense.

However he makes plays, cleans up misses/messes, & plays solid D. Outside 3pt shooting, he keeps shooting like 80% 2pt FG rate since his Frosh season.

If he were allowed more than 5 min stints, I think we'd see him gain some momentum with the ball.

In some ways, I view him as our most important player this season.

I'll take that challenge.

Strawther - On this one, I KIND of agree with you. Overall, he just needs a bit of tuning & he's going to be fine. The ball tends to stick in his hands more than I'd like & he made some overall decisions I wasn't a big fan of, BUT - experience is the best teacher here, and he seems to have the work ethic to iron this out by mid-season.

Holmgren - Disagree 100%. The fact is, he just didn't have to do much. Texas respected his shot enough to sag off Timme and open up lanes for him on offense, and on D, they avoided the paint almost to a fault when he was on the court. He doesn't need massive stats to be able to create a serious impact on the game. The fouls will dwindle with time.

Watty - also disagree 100%. He's hands-down the best defender on the team, and his offensive rating for that game was 121 (behind 125 for Nembhard). He had 10 points on 3/4 shooting inside the arc, 4-4 free throws, 5 boards, and an assist. That's a great offensive stat line. Combine that with his defensive play, and he's one of the best bench players in the conference - if not the country... (yes - I'm cherry-picking a bit here and ignoring the 3 point shots - I'm holding out hope they start falling, but am not currently in love with them as a whole). I don't think he really needs any "moves," and rather fills his role really well. Is he going to be NBA-ready? Probably not, but seems like a solid euro-league player.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizZAG View Post
    Some if's for the deep run stuff. If we can get better 3 point production and for my thinking, playing the 7 man is dangerous because we need 8 - 10 to gain some experience and run time when we get in foul trouble. I'll guess that will happen in league play. We need more than one knock down 3 player.
    Watching Villi and UCLA it stood out that they defend the perimeter much tighter than the Zags do or ever have. We came close when Goss was here. That is also a trait of the historic great teams out east, they play defense right in your grill without fouling.
    if you elect to belly up tight at the three line aint NO WAY you can double timme or holmgren is suspect we will see different game plan than what UCLA deployed against Villinova
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Quote Originally Posted by Bogozags View Post
    Yes, very much so...I picked a UT win Saturday after watching us in two of three games...BUT in no way was I expecting Timme to totally DOMINATE in that game and for Chet to have only scored two points with all the floor time he had...good things to come IMO...Don't think Timme will dominate UCLA but also don't think UCLA will score the way they did against Villanova...again jmho
    who is going to defend timme that would bring a different skill set than Texas bigs brought?
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

- i think maybe (?) why people like me sometimes worry about how watson looks on offense is deceptive, as every time he misses a shot it seems to be a bunny, a shot he should make 8 times out of 10. and i say come on man! you can make that shot.
    - plus lets remember the 3 point line is about 2 feet further back from where watson was shooting back in high school.
    - but as has been mentioned his 2 pt shooting percentage is always at the top of the team stats.
    - so as long as he is making around 65% of his 2 pt shots i-we should cut him some slack, and embrace what he does bring offensively to the team.