Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: After watching the Texas game. . .

Default After watching the Texas game. . .

. . .did you come away feeling more confident this year's edition of the Bulldogs was equipped to make a deep run in March ?

I realize UCLA, Duke, Alabama, and Texas Tech will also offer barometers of the season to come. Zags might drop one (two ?) in that time frame. Even if they don't emerge unscathed on 12/30 when the WCC season begins against the Toreros, it looks like the vets and newcomers have the potential to be a remarkable squad.

What's your take ?

The GUB Resource Library: Links to: Stats, Blogs, Brackets, & More. . .

“They go to school. They do their homework. They shake hands. They say please and thank you. But once you throw that ball up, they will rip your heart out and watch you bleed.” -- Jay Bilas

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    . . .did you come away feeling more confident this year's edition of the Bulldogs was equipped to make a deep run in March ?

I realize UCLA, Duke, Alabama, and Texas Tech will also offer barometers of the season to come. Zags might drop one (two ?) in that time frame. Even if they don't emerge unscathed on 12/30 when the WCC season begins against the Toreros, it looks like the vets and newcomers have the potential to be a remarkable squad.

What's your take ?
    I did.

After the first half against Dixie State, I was a bit concerned. I realize that the first half against Texas was the Timme highlight show, but I think that on any given day, the Zags have the horses to run with anyone.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

I certainly came away more confident. How could you not, with such a dominant performance against a highly ranked team. There seems to be good hope that our three point shooting may be better than was shown in the first few games and we could end up being an outstanding defensive team. I am concerned that Chet may get pushed around a lot and that this will really limit his effectiveness. I remember hearing John Stockton say that the most important thing about playing is to always be on balance. I fear Chet may struggle with this, at least inside.

Yes....more confident but not confident !!! Chet has a positive effect on every play.....I think that will happen in every game he plays at Gonzaga.....

More confident. Feel they can play (and win) against anyone.

The biggest wild card is Holmgren. He is definitely a huge factor in any game. Just not certain what that factor will be as the season progresses.

My feeling of optimism hasn’t changed. This team is built differently than last year’s team but still has its own flaws. Most other college basketball teams probably can’t exploit them, but that doesn’t mean they will finish unscathed at the end.
    Getting vaccinated isn’t a political issue. It’s a statistical issue of which the evidence of the safety and effectiveness of the vaccines are abundantly clear. Staying unvaccinated is denying reality around you.

When Chet realizes he doesn't have to jump every time to alter shots his fouls will drop hence more floor time and more scoring.

Texas went to a zone once. Chet took a wide open shot from the edge of the ft line. It rims out and Texas never went back realizing Chet would score at will.

I feel this team has the most room to improve of any Zag team over the last several years. Its going to be exciting to watch them grow.

Go Zags

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

More confident. This team is not ready for the March Madness grind, but I believe it will be very good by March.

I really liked the play of Bolton and Nembhard. They will provide enough veteran stability for the younger contributors to learn and grow over the course of the season. The younger players appear coachable. They are smart and play hard. This team should show more week to week improvement than some of our more veteran teams displayed in the past.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Yes. This team has depth that will become more apparent as the season wears on.

Last year's team was magnificent but with a narrower rotation. This team feels like it will have a wider range of counter-punches available due to more varied and highly skilled personnel.
    Your children have been placed in the custody of...Carl's Jr.

The Zags 3pt shooting and Few’s shrinking the rotation are my only big concerns.

Timme will get doubled/taken away by opponents with more size or just teams determining they won’t let Timme gut them. The counter to that for Zags is ball movement and 3pt shooting.

Team chemistry is great by all appearances to date but if Few holds the reins so tight vs every quality opponent that could change. Depth matters and guys like Sallis and Perry need a chance to develop vs toughest opponents if Zags want their depth to be an advantage in March. Perry is just as important as Sallis imo because he gives the team a big strong bouncy post defender they otherwise lack.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by RenoZag View Post
    Far more confident. I'm not worried about March yet, that time frame is weeks (months) away. Let's just get through 2021 first. If we can get past Duke & UCLA, I think we can run the table again. Not worried about Bama or TT at all.
    WE ZIGGED, WE ZAGGED, AND WE STILL ENDED UP AT THE KENNEL !

The Texas game was indeed a real gauge for me as to the quality of the Zags. At this time of the season it looks like the Zags are indeed at top of the pack. The good news from my perspective is that the team is going to get better. Even in this Texas game, we saw lots of areas for improvement. Most of that comes from the players getting more comfortable with each other and the game style. I also think this game showed the players the value of Few's game style, so they are going to buy into it even more so I expect to see some clear improvement.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Things I liked about this game that lead me to believe they will be ready for March.

1. Timme is better than last year. His footwork was fantastic. But Texas did not have any tall centers, which we will have to wait and see.
    2. Chemistry for a team with so many new plalyers. I thought that is was unbelieveable to watch how they "fed the beast" during the first half. In other words they recognized who had the hot hand and made sure they all worked to get him the ball for good shots.
    3. Boulton is going to add another dimention to this team.
    4. Nembhard is a super solid play maker and is going to be a major cog in the ignition of this team.
    5. Watson is more agressive and better at all parts of his game.
    6. Holmgren is going to also show us how great he is going to be by the end of the year. But he showed how team oriented he is against Texas. When he saw that Timme was controlling the center he stayed out and help feed him. He also did not try to get shots just to get points. Also he will learn from his jumping to block shots, rather than just be a force and be in the way.
    7. The rest of the team will be there more and more as they get experience. Some are ready offensively and others defensively but need work to improve a complete player.
    8. This is going to be a super defensively team.
    9 others that I have forgotten. GO ZAGS

I have believed that the Zags would make a deep run in March for a long time. This is the best recruiting class that Gonzaga has ever had, and the Zags return three solid players from last years Runner's Up to the National Championship. The return Timme, who was 2nd team All-American last year and should be first team this year. And Nemby returns who is one of the best Point Guards in the counry and is up for the Coosey Award. Finally, Watson returns and as we are seeing he is a much improved version of the player we expected to see from the beginning of last year. I think that This Year we will see that player. And then add in Bolton and Holmgren and how could we not expect to have a deep run in March.

The Texas game showed how good these Zags are. I was really looking forward to that game because I needed to see how good that Holmgren and Bolton are, and they did not disappoint at all. Bolton showed that he really is a great guard both on offense and defense. He hit 4 threes, which is possibly the most threes Ive seen a guard make since Kevin Pongos. And he has the body to attack the rim which Kevin could not do. Bolton reminds me of the best that we saw in Gary Bell, who has always been one of my favorite Zags. We did not get to see the best out of Holmgren on offense, but we did see his effectiveness on defense. Which may be more important right now. He is the best rim protector that Gonzaga has ever had.

Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    The Zags 3pt shooting and Few’s shrinking the rotation are my only big concerns.

Timme will get doubled/taken away by opponents with more size or just teams determining they won’t let Timme gut them. The counter to that for Zags is ball movement and 3pt shooting.

Team chemistry is great by all appearances to date but if Few holds the reins so tight vs every quality opponent that could change. Depth matters and guys like Sallis and Perry need a chance to develop vs toughest opponents if Zags want their depth to be an advantage in March. Perry is just as important as Sallis imo because he gives the team a big strong bouncy post defender they otherwise lack.
    Agree Flex, especially with the 3-pt shooting. On the flip side, for better or worse, history says the 7-man rotation in big games is "baked in".

Go ZAGS

Quote Originally Posted by daskim View Post
    More confident. Feel they can play (and win) against anyone.

The biggest wild card is Holmgren. He is definitely a huge factor in any game. Just not certain what that factor will be as the season progresses.
    Strawther is a big wild card also. He has that 3point shot. That will be a very important to open up the inside game. He is also big enough to help on the boards. What he brings to the game is just as important as what Chet brings. If Watson has improved as much as he appeared against Texas, that would be huge as well.

Quote Originally Posted by SorenTodd45 View Post
    Far more confident. I'm not worried about March yet, that time frame is weeks (months) away. Let's just get through 2021 first. If we can get past Duke & UCLA, I think we can run the table again. Not worried about Bama or TT at all.
    Don't listen to all the espn duke hype, just watch them play. They are not one of the top teams. Just guard Banchero and you beat duke by 12 to 15. Banchero must be soft because his whole game is perimeter oriented. He doesn't look like he likes contact, so put Watson on him and let him get physcial. I don't think Banchero can handle that. That is just my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    This. More confident in the team. Their 1st half intensity looked solid, and when running plays, they looked good. Yes, Timme was scoring/finishing, yet the pick n roll plays were a thing of beauty, as were the passes by Rasir and Nembhard. Guys like Strawther went away from the gameplan and offense/system as the game wore on, yet for the most part, when we needed a score, they delivered.

3pt shooting is definitely suspect, yet at least we now can say, "someone beside Bolton to a hit a 3pt shot". Good news as his shot has a feathery touch, great arc too. Maybe not a sure-fire 45% guy, yet we can count on him to hit clutch 3pt shots.

I share the same concern. Coach Few's patented 7 to 7.5 man rotation going forward, and over-playing starters in too long of stretches. Look at opponents and teams in the Top-10 right now. Nearly every one are playing a 8, 9, even 10 man rotation at this point in the season.

Perry and Sallis WILL be needed, and not just in WCC play. We know what they can bring, not to mention keeping them engaged/happy as incoming Top 40 guys. How we didn't utilize Perry size/body vs Texas is beyond me. We were up 18 with 4 mins to go, and needed some fresh legs. A guy to impose his will and play vs their increased intensity and physicality.

We shall see what Coach Few does tonight, especially less than 48 hrs following a big game. Does he play the starters when up 25, 30, 35 points and a few mins left in the game? That was an awfully bad habit last season.

Coach B Mike not only had a wonderful rotation Game 1, yet more importantly, he RESTED guys/starters at opportune times.

Just look how tired Nembhard and Timme looked with 5-10 mins in 2nd half. Neither were given a breather and both were flushed and slowing down at the same time. This is precisely when Texas made a little run, when Timme relaxed a bit due to obvious fatigue. Thank goodness Nolan and Rasir made timely shots during this stretch.

Coach B Mike rotated guys regularly, which Coach Few simply has not done in recent years. As our depth/talent has improved exponentially, it seems his rotations have became tighter, or possibly relying moreso on star talent we've had every year for past 5 yrs or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    This. More confident in the team. Their 1st half intensity looked solid, and when running plays, they looked good. Yes, Timme was scoring/finishing, yet the pick n roll plays were a thing of beauty, as were the passes by Rasir and Nembhard. Guys like Strawther went away from the gameplan and offense/system as the game wore on, yet for the most part, when we needed a score, they delivered.

3pt shooting is definitely suspect, yet at least we now can say, "someone beside Bolton to a hit a 3pt shot". Good news as his shot has a feathery touch, great arc too. Maybe not a sure-fire 45% guy, yet we can count on him to hit clutch 3pt shots.

I share the same concern. Coach Few's patented 7 to 7.5 man rotation going forward, and over-playing starters in too long of stretches. Look at opponents and teams in the Top-10 right now. Nearly every one are playing a 8, 9, even 10 man rotation at this point in the season.

Perry and Sallis WILL be needed, and not just in WCC play. We know what they can bring, not to mention keeping them engaged/happy as Top 40 guys.

We shall see what Coach Few does tonight, especially less than 48 hrs following a big game. Does he play the starters when up 25, 30, 35 points and a few mins left in the game? That was an awfully bad habit last season.

Coach B Mike not only had a wonderful rotation Game 1, yet more importantly, he RESTED guys/starters at the opportune time. Look how tired Nembhard and Timme looked with 5-10 mins in 2nd half. Neither were given a breather and were flushed and slowing down. This is EXACTLY when Texas made a little run, when Timme relaxed a bit due to obvious fatigue. Thank goodness Nolan and Rasir made timely shots during this time.

Coach B Mike rotated guys fairly regularly, which Coach Few simply has not done in recent years. As our depth/talent has improved exponentially, it seems his rotations have became tighter, or possibly relying moreso on star talent we've had every year for past 5 yrs or so.
    And calling TO with possession and less than 10 seconds left in the half in a tight game vs a major power.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    And calling TO with possession and less than 10 seconds left in the half in a tight game vs a major power.
    We were down 18-4 and 4 or 5 uncontested 3pt shots through the net before we called a timeout vs Baylor.

The entire Nation, along with the Announcers, were screaming for a Gonzaga timeout during the Baylor barrage in first 6 mins of that game...

Interestingly, after that 'called' timeout, we pretty much matched them from there on out. They still hit tough shots yet we finally settled in a bit, and didn't looks so shell-shocked, or tired/listless.

It was already too late...down dbl digits in first 6 mins with players playing like their lives depended on it.

We were down 18-4 and 4 or 5 uncontested 3pt shots through the net before we called a timeout vs Baylor.

The entire Nation, along with the Announcers, were screaming for a Gonzaga timeout during the Baylor barrage in first 6 mins of that game...

Interestingly, after that 'called' timeout, we pretty much matched them from there on out. They still hit tough shots yet we finally settled in a bit, and didn't looks so shell-shocked, or tired/listless.

It was already too late...down dbl digits in first 6 mins with players playing like their lives depended on it.

and to that point ...Beard in the presser said he probably should have used all his time outs in the first few minutes to correct his defense.

I'll go against the grain and say Im not as confident. Last year the team was amazing, until they weren't. Kispert and Timme got shut down against bigger more athletic teams or at least couldn't defend against them and Andrew played within himself and his role but never really imposed his will on the game (didnt need to when suggs did it naturally...). Strawther cant replace Corey's production although he will get close enough. Bolton and Hickman might both be able to equal Joel's underappreciated game but you really cant combine the two on the court. Yeah I felt better about last year than what we've seen so far. Chet will be fine. He effects the game and while he didnt score, he had five rebounds and a couple blocks and didnt force anything against ta top five team. Timme, Watson, and Nembhard are all a year better/more experienced, but this year is on Few to develop the players, the playing time, the rotations... and I guarantee there will be a seven man rotation by January so the thoughts of a deeper bench dont really pan out.

I wont be surprised if he does it again as Im guessing the intent is to get the guys to gel together.

The odd ordeal over our "7 man rotation" in recent years, that's generally reserved for WCC teams in our own conference when they play us, or mid-major teams with lesser talent when they play Power 5 teams.

Or just less-talented teams in general.

You almost never see that in Top-10 type teams, which all go nearly 9 deep. Guys playing at least 12 mins or so.

It hasn't been that way, even though we have better bench guys across the board.

Last year the same thing. Yes, we had elite talent at most every possession, yet we had really good, Top-40 Freshman, and transfers who didn't see much time at all. Look at Cook, or talents like Dom Harris.

I don't get the 7 man rotation every year lately.

Don't care if we are Duke, Kentucky, Kansas, Nova, etc.....players like Sallis, Perry, even Gregg are going to get minutes at those schools. 5* kids or close to it. Imagine if Dom Harris was healthy? Heck, would Hickman see any mins? Interesting thought.

And playing/leaving starters in til the end of a blowouts is an odd occurrence by Coach Few in recent years as well.

And playing/leaving starters in til the end of a blowouts is an odd occurrence by Coach Few in recent years as well.
    because scoring margin is an important stat in the metrics right now
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Few
    We are not here as a #%$&%&! Courtesy!!!