Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ongoing 2021-2022 Lady Zag Development, Observation from games

Default Ongoing 2021-2022 Lady Zag Development, Observation from games

Let me start with the Montana game when Kayleigh got into foul trouble (bench), then Kaylynne banged her knee (bench). CLF gave Bree the chance to bring the ball up the court and call plays. Well Bree given the confidence boost responded in kind, she easily brought the ball up the court without difficulty, while calling plays smoothly. After observing this for a couple of minutes, Kaylynne knee got better real quick and she told CLF she was ready to comeback in the game (LOL). CLF needs to continue to instill confidence in Bree, by giving more of these opportunities.

Kayleigh and Kaylynne are looking like two all stars on offense thru two games. Impressed by all faucets of their game on offense. One area to work on is not forcing bad passes inside. I also love their being in the right place to retrieve block shots or rebounds.

It was good to see Cierra hit two 3 pointers against Montana, and also getting to the free throw line for a couple of shots.

Anamarie (starter) defense looks improved thus far, still looking for her first break out game on offense. However did a great job rebounding (10) today, and has been consistently good at getting block shots.

Abby (starter) looks very comfortable on the floor. Did a great job rebounding (9) in the first game. Has not generated much offense first 2 games.

Melody great first game really rough game against Montana. Foul trouble, turnovers, poor footwork, made for a forgettable day in Montana.

We have one strong (literally) post player in Yvonne, she sure can get to the basket. Love her rebounding shot blocking skills. She is a great low post defender. Things to work on less fouls, and footwork to avoid traveling calls.

CLF is not yet maximizing Eliza skill on offense.

McKayla was nice to see her make a 3 pointer today. CLF has gone out of her way to give her a lot of opportunity to shine in the first 2 games.

Maud has been given minutes in the first 2 games. In the first 2 games it seems Bree is good at getting her involved. It was nice to see her get a bucket in the first game.

So far it looks like Esther and Calli are only going to get minutes in blow out games.

Lady Zags have confidence in your shots, if your open take the shot. Good free throw shooters need to get to the line, be aggressive. Practice those mid range jumpers, if you can make them in practice, do it in the game.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-14-2021 at 07:13 PM.

First of all let me say I've been a Christian all of my live. That being said I've learned one of Jesus most well taught lessons is don't judge others. Their is only one Judge for all the decisions we made in our life and that is God. I believe I am the biggest sinner in the world I have huge two by fours sticking out of my eyes, so I cannot of course judge others. Jesus has taught us to not judge others, but treat them as we would wish to be treated.

But I am proud of my upbringing in elementary school we would all stand in class and recite the Pledge Of Allegiance. In Little League baseball we all would get off the bench and stand for the National Anthem taking off our ball caps and placing them over our hearts.

They called me a lifer in the Marine Corps and no it was not because I drank a lot of coffee (LOL). In the Marines we treated the flag with reverence, after all we had the belief we were fighting for God, Country, and Corps, and in that order. I was on funeral detail in the Marine Corps as a teenager. The next of kin was given a folded U.S. flag with the following words: On behalf of the President of the United States, the United States Marine Corps, and a grateful nation, please accept the flag as a symbol of our appreciation for your loved one's honorable and faithful service.

It is such a honor to me to participate since 1998 in a small ceremony on Memorial Day that honors its veterans buried their in a small cemetery in a small town. Their is a roll call read of the veterans buried there. The local ROTC color guard from our local High School march forward and raise the flag and then lowers it to half mast. Next everybody stands and recites the Pledge of Allegiance together. To include Veterans from several decades. Amazingly last year as he always does, we have Fred Wilcox a World War 2 veteran who graces us with his presence. The families bring their young ones, and they release balloons soaring to heaven in memory of their cherished loved ones.

In the Kennel when the color guard comes in carrying the U.S. flag and the National Anthem is sang, as is the Marine Corps tradition I stand at position of attention, take off my hat and put it across my heart. In addition I always sing the National Anthem because I love my country. As a kid we did this to hand across heart when we recited pledge of allegiance.

As Marines we were taught don't worry about what others do in respecting the flag, you just do what is right your not a civilian. It was harsher language of course in the Corps (LOL).

I use to enjoy singing the National Anthem before all ballgames on TV, but sadly they usually cut away now to commercials during the playing of the National Anthem.
    It was always wonderful to see cheers and applause following the playing of the national anthem of all games on TV.
    While it does make me sad, my old drill instructor is telling me to buck up and just worry that I'm doing what I'm suppose to be doing and not disrespecting God, Country, and Corps.

As a retirement gift I was given hand made USMC blanket that says once a Marine always a Marine, and the General at my retirement ceremony told me the same thing don't forget you will always represent us as long as your alive continue to make us proud.

Well we see coach Mark Few speeding along the development of Freshman Hickman, Sallis, Holmgren etc. CLF are you taking notes?
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-18-2021 at 11:02 AM.

Observations form Idaho State Game

1. Cudo's to Melody for attacking the boards relentlessly in the 2nd half.

2. Liked Mckayla letting a defender fly by, and moving up from the 3 point line, to a nice mid range jumper. We need more nice mid range jumpers like that. Liked in the 2nd half when Mckayla dribbled past the half court line when no one was covering her, she learned from her mistake in the first half, thats called in game development. That being said did see a lazy pass in 2nd half that resulted in a turnover. Like your rebounding keep it up.

3. Abby had a nice 1st half rebounding and driving to the basket. Second half was rough lazy pass turnover, 2 missed free throws, and please practice those 3 point shots not even close.

4. Yvonne another tale of two halfs, 1st half 10 points. Second half rough total 6 turnovers for game, 4 fouls, and repeated traveling happy feat with no dribbling.

5. Cierra nice made 3 three pointers and got to the free throw line once. But when you are as good as free throw shooter as you are, you got to make them both count. Continue to work to get to the free throw line.

6. Kayleigh and Kaylynne you have been consistently good once again, keep it up ladies.

7. Anamaria your defense around the basket was lacking today. Work on bring high evergy to every game.

8. Eliza I liked your defense today, but you need to work to be more of a presence for rebounding.

9. Bree nice couple of layups today, but you need to work hard on the court in every faucet of the game. You must play better defense, because your baskets are worthless if you allow them right back on the other side of the court. And you need to engage in attempting rebounds. One terrible pass turnover today, keep your head in the game at all times.

10. Esther so glad to see you get some minutes today. Esther love your energy on defense but you also must do all faucets of the game. Turn around and attempt a rebound when the shot goes up. On offense you were wide open one time when you got the ball and you just took the ball back to the 3 point line and sat on it. Esther I saw you have dribble skills so attack the basket, move in for a mid range jumper. If you don't rebound or score a few points your minutes will never increase.

11. Maud your a tall player, put yourself in position to rebound on both ends of the court.

12. Calli seen you jump off the bench early in the game, stay motivated.

13. Payton during timeouts etc when the players are coming off the court I always see you pumping up different players, just love your enthusiasm for your team.

CLF keep on pushing those Freshmen and making them do all faucets of the game not just their favorite one.

Our set offense sometimes appear very stagnant with only Kayleigh of Kaylynne moving around trying to make something happen. I see opposing offenses working the back door cut very good against us, but don't see this set play in our offense. This is especially true when we get to more of our depth, we have one of the Troung twins dashing around and then the other 4 players are like bumps on the log.

Nice win today Lady Zags.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-19-2021 at 11:33 AM.

Congrats to Tara Vanderveer such a great coach missing her best player no problem, once again CLF was out coached by a far superior coach. She uses all her talented players and puts them in the best position to succeed.

CLF does such a poor job letting her Freshman develop. We could have won this game if Bree was playing 20 minutes for Abby or Cierra combination. Bree can score points, and she was poised for the big game, but alas CLF never gave her the chance. CLF is so stubborn set in her to ways to play upperclassman who are far less talented. Bree can charge the basket, she can shoot short jumpers, she can shoot 3 pointers. Every time I think CLF might finally get a clue she put Bree in for a minute then pulled the rug immediately out form under her putting Abbey or Cierra in. Bree was playing great defense stole the ball, fighting for a rebound, CLF pulls her.
    Five minutes left in the game you need scorers CLF put Bree and I'm saying finally if she stays into the rest of the game we win. Bree looking good, looking confident no CLF pulls her quickly. I was saying along leave Eliza and Bree in you need shooters who can make the 3 point shot with a hand to their face. You have Standford in the penalty let Bree drive to the basket and get some free throws.

So lets look at a couple of CLF favorite upper classman. Abby can't hit a broadside of the barn with the 3 point shot, and offers no offense. And our slowest guard on our team Cierra as proved by a Stanford player dribbling from a mile away from her all the way to the bucket for layup during a key moment. Cierra cannot move on a fast break even when she is the first player back. Cierra cannot create her own shot she is to slow and has to be open for a wide open 3 pointer hence her often taking very deep 3s. Cierra is not a great defender just to slow. Virjoghe is starting why, because she is a Senior?

Coach Few starts Holmgren, Hickman get 20 minutes a game, Salis gets game time all Freshman. Coach Few had Suggs start for him all year last year, thats how he got this talented Freshman class. He plays his best players he does not care what class they are in, his goal it to win with his best players.

Bree should be starting in place Abby definitely could also start in place of Cierra. Remember Jill Barta made to redshirt, and then did not start and was force fed to CLF due to injury and than everyone could see she was better than at least 2 starters as a Redshirt Freshman. Then Barta left because she had wasted her true Freshman year under CLF. Last year it was Yvonne Ejim who was held back, only when 4/5 of the starters got food poisoning in the final Game of WCC tournament was she given a chance, and was the reason Jill Townsend had the opportunity for a game winning shot.

CLF finally gave Eliza a little chance to play in this game and look at the results, Unfortunately she pulled her at the end of the game, when needed most.

Which brings us back to starters Yvonne Ejim should be starting she has light years more talent than Anamarie Virjoghe. Why is Yvonne being punished because she is a Sophomore? Did you see the 2 nice mid range jumpers by Yvonne today oh yeah thats what I'm talking about.

I believe if you had Bree playing as many minutes and shots as Abby O'Connor got today we would have had a victory.

Eliza was given more minutes today and she produced. Today Melody started out on fire then when she got 3 fouls, she stopped playing defense, not Melody's fault it falls on CLF.
    Eliza has much more talent than Virjoghe also.

Heck if you love Yvonne coming off the bench then start Eliza Hollingsworth at Center. Either way you look at it you should have at least two different starters. I would definitely replace Anamarie and Abby as starters. I would diminish minutes for Virjoghe, Abby, and Cierra. I would increase minutes for Eliza, Bree, and Yvonne.

Don't get me wrong I love Abby, Cierra, and Anamarie as I do all the Lady Zags. I just believe in playing the the most talented players that give me a chance to win. Whoa wait a minute isn't that why CLF gets paid the big bucks to win? Or is it to just play your senior classmen in order, and give them the most playing time because you have bonded with them over more time?

I would have Virjoghe coming in after Ejim and Hollingsworth. You simply cannot justify Virjoghe or O'Connor as starters look at the stats anyway you want. Cierra needs to have her minutes diminished she is just to one dimensional, can shoot long 3 pointers only, but cannot move around quickly to make her own 3 point attempt, is to slow to drive. So point again we need to replace at least 2 of our starters. Minutes for Eliza and Bree need to go way up. Make your best players starters.

In most every job in the United States those that do the best job are promoted if the system is working right. Why is CLF system not the same?

Freshman Bree, Sophomores Yvonne, and Eliza play them because they will produce and help you win more and go deeper.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-21-2021 at 07:18 PM.

Default Zags guards

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Congrats to Tara Vanderveer such a great coach missing her best player no problem once again CLF was out coached by a far superior coach. She uses all her talented players and puts them in the best position to succeed.

CLF does such a poor job letting her Freshman develop. We could have won this game if Bree was playing 20 minutes for Abby or Cierra combination. Bree can score points, and she was poised for the big game, but alas CLF never gave her the chance. CLF is so stubborn set in her to ways to play upperclassman who far less talented. Bree can charge the basket, she can shoot short jumpers, she can shoot 3 pointers. Every time I think CLF might finally get a clue she put Bree in for a minute then pulled the rug immediately out form under her putting Abbey or Cierra in. Bree was playing great defense stole the ball, fighting for a rebound, CLF pulls her.
    Five minutes left in the game you need scorers CLF put Bree and I'm saying finally if she stays into the rest of the game we win. Bree looking good, looking confident no CLF pulls her quickly. I was saying along leave Eliza and Bree in you need shooters who can make the 3 point shot with a hand to their face. You have Standford in the penalty let Bree drive to the basket and get some free throws.

So lets look at a couple of CLF favorite upper classman. Abby can't hit a broadside of the barn with the 3 point shot, and offers no offense. Cierra is a very slow player as proved by a Stanford player dribbling from a mile away from her all the way to the bucket for layup during a key moment. Cierra cannot move on a fast break even when she is the first player back. Cierra cannot create her own shot she is to slow and has to be open for a wide open 3 pointer hence her often taking very deep 3s. Cierra is not a great defender just to slow.

Coach Few starts Holmgren, Hickman get 20 minutes a game, Salis gets game time all Freshman. Coach Few had Suggs start for him all year last year, thats how he got this talented Freshman class.

Bree should be starting in place Abby definitely could also start in place of Cierra. Remember Jill Barta made to redshirt, and then did not start and was force fed to CLF due to injury and than everyone could see she was better than at least 2 starters as a Redshirt Freshman. Then Barta left because she had wasted her true Freshman year under CLF. Last year it was Yvonne Ejim who was held back, only when 4/5 of the starters got food poisoning in the final Game of WCC tournament was she given a chance, and was the reason Jill Townsend had the opportunity for a game winning shot.

Which brings us back to starters Yvonne Ejim should be starting she has light years more talent than Anamarie Virjoghe. Why is Yvonne being punished because she is a Sophomore?

I believe if you had Bree playing as many minutes and shots as Abby O'Connor got today we would have had a victory.

Eliza given more minutes and opportunity will produce on offense. Today Melody started out on fir then when she got 3 fouls, she stopped playing defense, not Melody's fault it falls on CLF.
    Eliza has much more talent than Virjoghe also.

Heck if you love Yvonne coming off the bench then start Eliza Hollingsworth at Center. Either way you look at it you should have at least two different starters. I would definitely replace Anamarie and Abby as starters. I would diminish minutes for Virjoghe, Abby, and Cierra. I would increase minutes for Eliza, Bree, and Yvonne.
    Zags guards 4-26 from floor. O’Connor, Walker, Truong x2. Good moments at times, but when you are coming down the floor with a chance to tie, is Truong who is 1-8 from the floor the person you want launching a highly contested 3?

- yvonne is clearly a better player than anamarie. however anamarie has shown improvement over last year. i'm not bothered with anamarie starting as long as yvonne ends up with twice as many minutes on the floor. yvonne and the team deserves to have her playing 25 minutes a game. does anyone doubt once she starts next year she is going to be wcc player of the year?

- bree to my eye hasn't looked all that good thus far, that is to say unlike yvonne i do not think she has earned more minutes. but i agree if she received the minutes that abby has been getting that might wlll change.

- troung sisters can shoot as often as they want in my book.

- so happy that eliza played so well today. hope to see more of that.
    -

Abby stats 4-19 FG .21%, 0-10 3 PT 0%, 4-10 FT, 3.0 points average in 26 minutes a game. Why is she starting?

Anamarie 40% FG, 3.5 points average in 18.3 minutes a game not good for a 6'5" player. Why is she starting?

Yvonne 56% FG Nice starter numbers and 4 inches shorter.

Eliza 54% FG Nice starter numbers.

Bree highest rated Lady Zag ever, and in her limited minutes the more time she spends on the court the better she gets.

CLF if you want to continue to get highly recruited players you have to give them the opportunity to play as Freshman and of course as Sophomores.

Mark Few is adapting more every year he is playing all his talented Freshman. Holmgren, Hickman, Sallis, and look at Gregg coming on etc.

Sincerely hope CLF make some changes and shake things up in Hawaii and adjust the starting lineup, minutes played. We don't want to continue to come to the Kennel to see Mount Rushmore a coach unmoveable not willing to change her ways or adjust for the betterment of the team.

Lady Zags continue to support each other and enjoy your trip to Hawaii, a once of a lifetime experience for many.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-22-2021 at 12:09 PM.

ZAB,

We often disagree on many Lady Zag topics.

Today, you are 100% correct in both of your posts today.

Well Done Sir,

ZagDad

It all about development and not stagnation of young talent, capitalize. Let me give another analogy if a minor league baseball player has proven himself to be a sub par starter hitting below the mendoza line then he is going to lose his starting job rather quickly to someone that has more potential that is now sitting on the bench.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-22-2021 at 12:36 PM.

Oh my God - you will find anything to criticize Coach Fortier about. Seriously - who jumps? I'm having deja vu to the old "Few 32" days.

Wow…. ZAB, I’m thinking you must be a coach.

I would be surprised if any of the freshmen walk… why, because they respect the program and understand their time will come.
    It’s D-1 ball folks and there are very few that can come out of HS and step on the floor.

As the coaches watch them grow…. So will there time on the court. That’s what the OOC is for.

I don’t always agree with CLF and her coaching staff but I respect that they have a plan and we know that it works…. That’s why they are winners.

I like that they are past moral victories…

Go Zags!!

PS: the GU WBB facebook page blew up over the knee

Ok example time: Freshman Ally Stedman playing for Pepperdine was WCC WBB Freshman of the week. Against #20 UCLA she scored 28 points, 8-12 on 3 pointers. Yes she is a starter for Pepperdine this year.
    She was a high school player in Arizona last year is a 5'9" Guard.

Freshman Anaya James playing for Pacific is WCC WBB Freshman of the week. Is 20-37 FG 54% averaging 12.8 points per game. She is a starter for Pacific this year. She was a high school player in California last year is a 5'9" guard.

I am totally humbled by all our veterans and their families can never say Thank You enough for their service and sacrifice. I had Veterans of the Korean and Vietnam war leading me as a young teenager, which I will always be so grateful for. Also had a Great Uncle Martin Vlaming who was in the Army and landed on the beaches of Normandy for which he was awarded the Bronze Star for his actions. My Grandmothers brother Uncle Mart survived. Have several army photos of him in santeens including later in Belgium, Germany 1944. Had a cousins husband Wayne who walked the jungles of Vietnam, tall guy 6'4" a big target had the guy walking in front of him killed by a sniper shooting from up in a tree. We can never fully come to grips of the sacrifice and dedication of our veterans that went before us, so many making the ultimate sacrifice. We can never respect them enough.

I hope the Zags Women basketball team have the honor of getting a tour of USS Arizona Memorial and a close up lesson of the history of Pearl Harbor while their in Hawaii.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-22-2021 at 03:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    It’s D-1 ball folks and there are very few that can come out of HS and step on the floor.
    Far be it from me to get in the middle of your "discussion" but the above state simply is not correct.

What about Shaylee Gonzales from BYU, Charlisse Leger-Walker @ WSU, Paige Buekers @ UConn, Caitlen Clark at Iowa, Aliyah Boston at South Carolina and that is just off the top of my head. I am sure we could find dozens of freshmen starting for D-1 teams if we wanted to go that far, but you get the point.

When you get into the Top-50 rated recruits, many, if not most of them, have the skills to play at a high D-1 level as soon as they hit the campus. They have played for their countries in U-16, U-17, U-18 international ball, played AAU ball against the best in the country. In most of the cases, these players absolutely need court time to get accustomed to the speed, strength and abilites of D-1 ball, but they are not going to get that sitting on the bench or in practice. Practice speed is not game speed. Do the star freshman need to start, not necessarily, but your best players need to be on the court the majority of the minutes particularly when the game is in doubt. This has not been a habit historically used by CLF and her staff.

Has her method worked in the past? Absolutely. So, i ask how many Top-50, even Top-75 players has CLF recruited and signed? Not very many (one??). A skilled player rated outside of the Top-100 (arbitrary number), does not have the skills and experience of a player rated in the Top-50, Top-25, etc. Using CLF's history of successful teams using lower rated players as for justification for continuing with the same old, same old is questionable at best. I would say her performance in the tournaments against lower rated teams, shows she has room for significant improvement.

IMO, in the games against Montana and against Stanford, Gonzaga did not have their best players (on that day) on the court during the deciding minutes of the game. CLF went with experience, not with the players who were playing the best on that day, subsequently not putting the Lady Zags in the best position to win the game. The players on the floor against Montana were good enough to hold off a determined Grizzley team. The players on the court against Stanford, at the end of the game, were, IMO, not good enough, on that day, to beat the #7 team in the country, but I think there was one or two players on the bench that would have given GU a better shot.

I think YE, given enough minutes, could very easily be in contention for player of the year in the WCC. I think BS could certainly be in the discussion for the all freshman team, if given enough minutes. While I don't think EH could make all WCC this year, I feel she has the talent to make the 2nd team or all honorable mention. Can you say that about CW or AO or AV?

I don't care who starts, but your best players on that day, need to be on the court when the game is in doubt. Given the statistics in the Montana, and Stanford can you honestly say the best Lady Zags were on the court at the end of those games? I can't.

ZagDad

…Oh I new you would be in there….

How many freshmen hit the college court each year… I said a very few will come out and start at the D-1 level. And chances are there may have been a need. Not taking anything away from them but I feel that a lot of coaches want to get them comfortable before putting them in.
    BS saw how the system works at GU before she signed on… they will move a player in to play more as they progress. And to to be honest, it’s the program and TEAM. And we have a great program and TEAM.
    And last… I have seen three stars stick with five stars… kids handle college differently.

Go Zags!!

I think we have a little bit of apples and oranges going on here.

We all know that every player will not be at their best in every game. No matter what side of the Jordan vs LeBron debate you are on, there are (were) days where these players are not the best player on their team, let alone the best player in the league or the best player of all time. You simply cannot be at your best every game due to whatever reason (sickness, matchup problems, opposition schemes, etc.). One of the coach's responsibilities is to put the best team on the court that gives the team the best chance to win.

In the games where you win by 20+ points and the outcome is not in question, obviously the coaching staff have the opportunity to try new things (plays, rotations, positions, etc.) and give more Playing Time (PT) to those on the bench who don't normally get much PT. It is the games, where the outcome is in doubt, that create the interest.

Two questions for you to ponder?

First, a general comment, how much PT to you give to a senior who is averaging 26+ mpg, 21.1% shooting overall, 0% from 3 and 40.0% from the free throw line to "find her shot" and how much PT to you give a freshman who is your highest rated recruit in history to develop her game for benefit in the future?

Secondly, when you look at the team statistics (particularly defensive in the Montana Game and offensive for the last 3 quarters of the Stanford game) and the individual statistics for the GU players who were on the court at the end of each game, can you honestly say that CLF had the players (regardless of their seniority) that gave GU the best opportunity to win that game, on the court in the last 5 (or 10) minutes of the game?

IMO when the game comes down to foul shooting, leaving people in the game who shoot 40% or 67% on their free throws when you have people on the bench who shoot 85+% on their free throws is IMO, ridiculous.

Similarly, when your team scores 23 points the first quarter and follows that up with scoring 12 points (2nd quarter), 12 points (3rd quarter) and 5 points in the first 5 minutes of the 4th quarter, when exactly do you realize the status quo is not working and a change (in scheme, personnel, etc.) is needed?

This is not about coaching philosophy, not about seniors and freshman, this is about making in-game decisions that put the "team" in the best position to win. Can you say, in your opinion, that CLF put the Lady Zags in the best position to win the Montana and Stanford games with her line-ups at the end of the game?

I can't.

ZagDad

Freshman Jenna Johnson playing for Utah #42 recruit two spots higher than Bree.

Jenna Johnson 6'2" Forward Freshman starts for Utah stats thru 4 games 24-38 FG 63%, 3-6 3 pointers,7-8 free throws, 21 rebounds, averaging 5.3 rebounds a game. Gonzaga will playing Utah in Hawaii.

Let Bree play against her contemporaries, let her flourish and develop.

We will also being playing Eastern Illinois in Hawaii. Playing for Eastern Illinois Freshman Miah Monahan 5'8" guard averaging 20.7 minutes a game and Freshman Julia Bengston 5'8" guard averaging 18 minutes a game.

The quicker you can develop your talent the better team you will become.

Thank You to Melody for doing the right thing, and setting the example for those around you, I hope you continue to do so.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-24-2021 at 12:16 PM.

Well ZD as mad as I am at CLF right now, I probably shouldn’t comment. (Article in the SR)

For the games, maybe. For the end of the games, no.

We discussed the Montana game… for Stanford, I understand why she was switching her best defensive player with her best offensive player. But to do that she used up a time out she may have needed… Stanford was the better team and to stay with them… well lets give them some credit.

I figure as a STH for 15 years, I have watched over 500 games. That said, I haven’t the insight that CLF has on her players or the help she gets from her staff.

Go Zags!!

Quote Originally Posted by SkipZag View Post
    Well ZD as mad as I am at CLF right now, I probably shouldn’t comment. (Article in the SR)

For the games, maybe. For the end of the games, no.

We discussed the Montana game… for Stanford, I understand why she was switching her best defensive player with her best offensive player. But to do that she used up a time out she may have needed… Stanford was the better team and to stay with them… well lets give them some credit.

I figure as a STH for 15 years, I have watched over 500 games. That said, I haven’t the insight that CLF has on her players or the help she gets from her staff.

Go Zags!!
    Fair Enough.

ZagDad

ZAGDAD you are absolutely right. CLF is changing, but apparently slowly. I see quite a few of WCC coaches who seem to get side tracked when it comes to who's on the floor........ CLOSERS are always the highest pct. FT shooters... unless 'height' matters! The hardest part of being a fan, is you do not get to see video of the practices! Time should tell a Coach whom she can trust, and what's left in the tank, THAT PARTICULAR Day. Your team is improving and looking like it could make a run to the finals of the tourney and maybe a win or two in the NCAA's! Keep the faith.

Welcome back to the Wbb board Kemo!

ZagDad

Abby came out of her funk today against Utah in Hawaii and in style scored 21 points 9-11 FG and 3-3 on 3 pointers. Radio broadcaster had said Abby must like Hawaii because she was lightening it up from 3 point range in practice also.

Kayleigh had a nice game also scoring 18 points 2-4 on 3 pointers.

Cierra scored 13 points and 3-5 3 pointers. Cierra drove one today and had a nice mid range jumper, way to go Cierra.

Melody usual steady self 12 points today.

Anamarie still struggling fouled out of game in 13 minutes had 1 rebound and scored 2 points.

Mckayla had 5 fouls in five minutes, including a technical foul.

Eliza looked good again in her minutes today.

Final score 89-71 Zags.

Besides the two mentioned above Zags who fouled out today, Yvonne and Melody also had four fouls today.

Notes broadcaster said their was hardly anybody in the stands today, and that it was so quite sometimes. Heard the weather their is in the 80's in Hawaii nice enjoy Lady Zags.

Utah Freshman Jenna Johnson was 3-6 FG and scored 7 points, with 4 rebounds in 22 minutes played against the Zags today.

We gave Utah 42 Free Throws today, no thats not a type O.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-26-2021 at 05:34 PM.

Kayleigh injured knee, radio broadcaster said she was a on a stretcher at the end of the game with ice on her knee. Keep her in your prayers and hope it nothing serious.

Kayleigh and Kaylynne were on fire for the Zags today which the Zags won 74-53 over Eastern Illinois.

Kayleigh scored 11 points, 3-4 on 3 pointers. Kaylynne scored 17 points, 5-6 on 3 pointers.

Craig Fortier in interview after the game said they were getting Kayleigh on crutches as a precaution. He said everything was structurally sound, he thought she might have hyperextended her knee. Criag did say of course he's not a doctor but he thought she would be ok.

Note saw a video from Hawaii no fans in the stands. Radio Broadcaster said maybe a 100 fans today think he was being generous. He also said was hoping for some more fans when we play the local team Hawaii tomorrow.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-27-2021 at 04:48 PM.

Zags up over Hawaii 37-24 at halftime.

Zags played very sloppy ball first half 9 turnovers. Wakeup call for Bree, keep your head in the game you were 88-90% free throw shooter in High School and you missed 2 free throws at the same time. Slow down at the free throw line Bree and make them count. You need to capitalize on your minutes. You should be someone that CLF that should be able to turn to to make your free throws, and for the bonus. But your never going to earn CLF trust if you can't even make your free throws. Earn CLF trust while on the court Bree, its is simple as that.

Zags win 68-49 over Hawaii and win the tournament.

Kaylynne 14 points 5-5 free throws, Abby 14 points 3-4 on 3 pointers, Melody 13 points 6-8 FG.

Great job Lisa Fortier mixing in your all subs throughout the game today to get them better experience.

Kaylynne most valuable player Tournament. Melody also named all tournament team.

Abby great job in tournament, bring that Hawaii great playing back to Spokane with you. Kayleigh take care of that knee, keep elevated etc.

Note Hawaii Freshman Orji great job getting to the hoop 10 points, 4-4 FG, but was terrible from free throw line 2-8 free throws, and she made the 2nd one after a Zag lane violation or else it would have been 1-8.

After game broadcaster said Kayleigh was not using crutches, but was walking around trying not to put to much weight on it. Repeated that the Zags are hopeful just hyperextended knee, further evaluation when she gets back to Spokane.

Zags had 17 turnovers, which they have had problems with so far, definitely a area in need of improvement. Congrats Lady Zags on the 3 wins, hope you enjoyed paradise in Hawaii Lady Zags awesome experience.