Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas Post Game thoughts and analysis

This had the feeling of a WCC game to me. ZAGS up big early, never really threatened, lead oscillates back and forth from 10-20 points.

Timme is unguardable 1 on 1. Need to keep up the 35%+ 3-point shooting to keep the paint open for Drew.

Go ZAGS

After Baylor game last year, I was worried about Timme tonight. I had read all the hype about how big Texas was and how they will push him around like Baylor. Good lord was I wrong. Now I think maybe Baylor game was a fluke.
    Bring back the OCC

Quote Originally Posted by bballbeachbum View Post
    tip of the cap on Rasir, you called it from jump man
    Well I also thought Texas would beat us last night so you win some you lose some.

Rasir has filled in even better than I thought though. I love that he’s not forcing things and really seems to have bought in. He plays strong defense and can knock down a shot if left open. Great quickness too. He must love playing on a winning team finally

Zags been blessed with veteran transfer guards, Rasir may turn out to be the best.

What I saw last night regarding rotations at this point in time:

-Few taking a lot longer to put Sallis and Hickman in. He just prefers keeping rotations smaller than BMic
    -Hickman is clearly ahead in the pecking order than Sallis at this point in time. I do hope that Sallis gets more run and an opportunity to look more comfortable against good teams. Clear few trusts Hickman lots.
    -Perry’s time will be limited this year in big games if our bigs stay out of bad foul trouble.
    -Gregg has a long way to go in fews mind before he plays considering he seems to be behind perry who also didn’t play.
    -Andrew is going to play tons
    -if Julian doesn’t buy into his role this year he could see his minutes decrease. Stick to hitting open threes, playing good defense and implementing the mid range game, but only when it’s there. Seems to be forcing a lot. I do think he will be a star but not sure he needs to be this year

Again can we talk about Chets dad with the camcorder? That was one of my fav parts of the night.

Nembhard played 40

we have 3 silent assassins .....Nemb Bolt Hick

over on media thread watch the presser....Bolton speaks

Few mentions in the presser that Watsons had a good pre season/Summer shooting the 3 ball

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post
    Nembhard played 40

we have 3 silent assassins .....Nemb Bolt Hick

over on media thread watch the presser....Bolton speaks

Few mentions in the presser that Watsons had a good pre season/Summer shooting the 3 ball
    Bolton barely speaks. A soft spoken kid. Seems to be enjoying himself. I’m a fan!!

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    Bolton barely speaks. A soft spoken kid. Seems to be enjoying himself. I’m a fan!!
    loved what Few said about him (Bolton) in presser....we keep telling him to be aggressive.

coming into new program with established players and finding your niche so fast and comfortably ....I think we'er all Bolton fans )

Straw isn’t Kispert 2.0, who spoiled us. And he’s not Steven Gray or any number of Zag wings, yet. We have strawberry, cinnamon and blueberry cupcakes to work it out: Straw or Hickman to start.

Saw Norlander say that Holmgren being on the floor on offense forced Texas to play man because of his zone-busting ability. And the man defense obviously opened Timme up to destroy them.

Didnt realize Nembhard played all 40 til I looked at box score ��

Few needs to rotate more. No sense burning him out. And playing Sallis and Perry valuable mins

Right now, Strawther mins could be cut in half. Bone head shots, sticky with ball, and not conforming to his role (3pt shots, moving without ball, passing, good D, etc)

He has the flare of a star in making yet he's pretty selfish player right now. His decisions with the ball aren't contributing to overall team success. Did that exhibition game go to his head, or simply forcing it and still figuring it out? We shall see. Get the sense he's playing for League auditions when others, like Chet and Rasir, are helping TEAM win.

Rasir had been a godsend thus far. Very fortunate with him. We don't win that game without his clutch shots and drives to hoop to send a message early

And Drew played 38 mins

That's a ton for a 6'10" post

Fews biggest areas of improvement as a coach...

Loosening the reigns on rotation. And calling timely timeouts.

We have kinda burnt out dudes in seasons past. Playing Nemby and Timme for 40 mins most games ain't gonna fly

I still can't get over him leaving all 5 starters in countless times last season...up 25 or 30 with less than 3 mins to go.

Incredible Coach yet a 7 man rotation with the available or potential talent isn't going to get it done long term imo.

Wow! Gonzaga can really play some defense. They held Texas to 27 first half points. During the last week all I read about on this forum was how great Texas is and how many great offensive playrs they have, and how they can score.....Didn't look like that last night. Nembhard can really play defense, as can Bolton and Hickman. Our guards were really good on defense.

go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    Wow! Gonzaga can really play some defense. They held Texas to 27 first half points. During the last week all I read about on this forum was how great Texas is and how many great offensive playrs they have, and how they can score.....Didn't look like that last night. Nembhard can really play defense, as can Bolton and Hickman. Our guards were really good on defense.

go Zags!!!
    Reborn, although I agree with you. Credit the pressure we applied to make Texas uncomfortable.. ..Texas did miss many uncontested 3s early on as we missed some rotations. I am pleasantly surprised though and think this team has some serious potential to be phenomenal on defense.
    America's Team!

Timme way to bring it to the big game, put the Zags on his back and carried them through their first test of the season.

Bolton 4-6 on 3 pointers clearly a clutch player.

Nembhard 8 assists great job facilitating.

Well Mark Few was back congrats to him on the big win.

Now let's talk rotation, minutes etc. First of all only 8 Zags played in the whole game. Even with 2 minutes or 1 minute left in the game Few made the decision to not let any other of his bench players the opportunity to take the floor. Nembhard 40 minutes, Timme 38, Bolton 32, Strawther 25, Holmgren 23, Hickman 19, Watson 19, Sallis 4 minutes.

Thoughts on Holmgren let me first say he's a amazing kid with loads of talent. That being said he needs to be taken off the pedestal, and be given time to develop. Its going to take more than one year for this to happen. Heck right now a little guard with talent can push him around and get a bucket. Wakeup call against the good college teams like Texas who did not have a big man he was out of his league at this point. Until his body has a chance to develop, his family and himself are going to have to be patient and let him develop a few years at the college level.

Rijman you were right having saw the game and knew it was wrong when typing the box score from the Zags web site, because Holmgren was definitely on the court a lot more it didn't not pass the eye test but got lazy, your right ESPN much more accurate perhaps because they were covering the game. Have been noticing a lot of mixups this year on both the mens and women's go zags web sites. Whoever is posting is doing a inaccurate job so far. Thanks for the correction Rijman.
    Last edited by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET; 11-14-2021 at 11:03 AM.

Texas also adjusted in second half and put 47 on Zags.

Zags also didn't score a field goal the last 2:42 of game...just saying

Things stagnated in the second half when Timme slowed down and GU went cold including a 1 for 11 streak. Drew’s dominance may have led to some standing and watching by the other players when we needed a spark. Veteran Bolton eventually stepped up but new starters Strawther and Holmgren were absent.

We also got out-rebounded by a smaller Texas team. We allowed 13 offensive rebounds leading to second chance points for them which propelled their run after halftime. We will miss Joel Ayayi’s rebounding from the guard spot more than we thought.

That said, a wire to wire, double digit win against a Top 5 team in the Kennel is the kind of thing we should savor. The building was louder than it has been in recent years. GU and Spokane showed out for their team. These are the “good old days”.

ZZ

Quote Originally Posted by Zagceo View Post

Zags also didn't score a field goal the last 2:42 of game...just saying
    A lot of that was just running the clock, rather than looking for a shot and giving Texas more opportunities perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Didnt realize Nembhard played all 40 til I looked at box score ��

Few needs to rotate more. No sense burning him out. And playing Sallis and Perry valuable mins

Right now, Strawther mins could be cut in half. Bone head shots, sticky with ball, and not conforming to his role (3pt shots, moving without ball, passing, good D, etc)

He has the flare of a star in making yet he's pretty selfish player right now. His decisions with the ball aren't contributing to overall team success. Did that exhibition game go to his head, or simply forcing it and still figuring it out? We shall see. Get the sense he's playing for League auditions when others, like Chet and Rasir, are helping TEAM win.

Rasir had been a godsend thus far. Very fortunate with him. We don't win that game without his clutch shots and drives to hoop to send a message early

And Drew played 38 mins

That's a ton for a 6'10" post

Fews biggest areas of improvement as a coach...

Loosening the reigns on rotation. And calling timely timeouts.

We have kinda burnt out dudes in seasons past. Playing Nemby and Timme for 40 mins most games ain't gonna fly

I still can't get over him leaving all 5 starters in countless times last season...up 25 or 30 with less than 3 mins to go.

Incredible Coach yet a 7 man rotation with the available or potential talent isn't going to get it done long term imo.

By default, Straw got too much hype as the Kispert heir, which he’s not. However, on the bench he seems happily engaged, he’s no Petro. Good point on TO’s, as Few was coerced into calling one at end of the half, almost stunned at his staff’s suggestion. Result a crazy three pointer, which may of course happened anyway.

I'm not trying to argue, but it looked to me like we let TX shoot wide open shots the entire first half. They just couldn't make any. I guess the strategy was to sag into the middle and let them shoot from outside. When TX was getting wide open looks in the first half, I was surprised Sallis didn't get more run time. I thought our first half defense was awful. AND it took a career night from Timme to win by 12. Timme was the entire focus of our offense because he could and did dominate and score at will--I get that. They didn't have anybody that could stop him. However, several others didn't appear to have that ability and were not very successful in their attempts to score. I knew the early lead would dwindle because TX would eventually start to hit some of those wide open shots. Still early, but our defense needs work. I think we will have a great defensive team soon. Really glad to coast to a win and build some confidence from this game, but also to show some of the warts and areas that need a lot of work. UCLA is going to be tough. They shoot well at all positions from the perimeter and have better players than TX at every position.

Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    Paolo will be an issue and extremely tough cover. He could rack up fouls in a hurry on either Chet or Timme.

Texas didn't have anyone within 2 inches or 35 lbs of Banchero.
    Or Paolo will foul out very quickly.
    I'm laughing. Why aren't you?

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Timme
    Now let's talk rotation, minutes etc. First of all only 8 Zags played in the whole game. Even with 2 minutes or 1 minute left in the game Few made the decision to not let any other of his bench players the opportunity to take the floor. Timme & Nemhard played 40 minutes, Watson 31, Strawther & Hickman 29 minutes, Bolton 17, Holmgren 9, Sallis 5 minutes.
    The Zags box score differs from ESPN, The Zags show Chet played 9 minutes and ESPN shows 23 minutes, I think the ESPN box score is more accurate. Also, Timme played 38 minutes per ESPN, he was taken out before the end of the game and didn't play the full 40 reported in the Zags box score, which is not a big difference but confirms the inaccuracy of the Zags box score minutes.
    It's not the size of the Bulldog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the Bulldog!

GO ZAGS!!!

Quote Originally Posted by amaronizag View Post
    I'm not trying to argue, but it looked to me like we let TX shoot wide open shots the entire first half. They just couldn't make any. I guess the strategy was to sag into the middle and let them shoot from outside. When TX was getting wide open looks in the first half, I was surprised Sallis didn't get more run time. I thought our first half defense was awful. AND it took a career night from Timme to win by 12. Timme was the entire focus of our offense because he could and did dominate and score at will--I get that. They didn't have anybody that could stop him. However, several others didn't appear to have that ability and were not very successful in their attempts to score. I knew the early lead would dwindle because TX would eventually start to hit some of those wide open shots. Still early, but our defense needs work. I think we will have a great defensive team soon. Really glad to coast to a win and build some confidence from this game, but also to show some of the warts and areas that need a lot of work. UCLA is going to be tough. They shoot well at all positions from the perimeter and have better players than TX at every position.
    My perspective as well. Timme is not always going to be on. We need other scorers. I think Chet will get better and better. I did see the same issue in especially the first half with countless uncontested 3s that Texas couldn't seem to hit. They hit a cpl and the game looks a bit different. Love the potential but UCLA will be on point wanting redemption hope our boys are up. Oh and then Duke. Let's see if the fellas can find a way once again.
    America's Team!

Loving these pre-game tweets.

Quote Originally Posted by ZAGS ATTACK BASKET View Post
    Timme way to bring it to the big game, put the Zags on his back and carried them through their first test of the season.

Bolton 4-6 on 3 pointers clearly a clutch player.

Nembhard 8 assists great job facilitating.

Well Mark Few was back congrats to him on the big win.

Now let's talk rotation, minutes etc. First of all only 8 Zags played in the whole game. Even with 2 minutes or 1 minute left in the game Few made the decision to not let any other of his bench players the opportunity to take the floor. Nembhard 40 minutes, Timme 38, Bolton 32, Strawther 25, Holmgren 23, Hickman 19, Watson 19, Salis 4 minutes.

Thoughts on Holmgren let me first say he's a amazing kid with loads of talent. That being said he needs to be taken off the pedestal, and be given time to develop. Its going to take more than one year for this to happen. Heck right now a little guard with talent can push him around and get a bucket. Wakeup call against the good college teams like Texas who did not have a big man he was out of his league at this point. Until his body has a chance to develop, his family and himself are going to have to be patient and let him develop a few years at the college level.

Not sure where you got your minutes played Z A B, but they are way off.
    But we don't play nobody.

Going out on a limb here but I think too much is being made of Chet’s “disappearance” in this game. Granted, he wasn’t scoring last night and he did have foul trouble but here is what I saw: 1) He completely altered nearly every drive penetration, 2) He stretched the O to Drew’s benefit, and 3) On a per minute basis, he was the leading rebounder. He will definitely have many much better games overall but he definitely helped us in the win last night.