Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Gonzaga vs Texas Post Game thoughts and analysis

First half was very pretty at times-- second half i thought was pretty ugly overall. This team will continue to grow. Happy we got a double digit win against a team who will be ranked high at the end of the year.

Loved Bolton's play, Nembhard was solid, Hickman is going to be great by the end of the year and obviously Drew is the man. Chet will get his but i loved that he didnt force things. I also love that his dad has a camcorder and records his games. How many potential number 1 dads are doing that?

Defense the first half was very intense. Loved it. The offense is nowhere near as fluid as last year expectedly so. We will have to play much much better to beat UCLA or Duke

Quote Originally Posted by zagsfanforlife View Post
    First half was very pretty at times-- second half i thought was pretty ugly overall. This team will continue to grow. Happy we got a double digit win against a team who will be ranked high at the end of the year.

Loved Bolton's play, Nembhard was solid, Hickman is going to be great by the end of the year and obviously Drew is the man. Chet will get his but i loved that he didnt force things. I also love that his dad has a camcorder and records his games. How many potential number 1 dads are doing that?

Defense the first half was very intense. Loved it. The offense is nowhere near as fluid as last year expectedly so. We will have to play much much better to beat UCLA or Duke
    Agree with all points here. It seemed we were impatient at times and forced things leading to difficult shots under fire. Straw needs to play a little more team ball at times. Bolton was surprising and Timme was an animal that wanted to send a message to his home state it seemed. Mission accomplished!
    One of the greatest stories in basketball history...Gonzaga!

Texas really turned up the Beard ball in the second half and it showed. They went after Holmgren because of his inexperience and he was hurting them on defense. The tactic kinda worked but Zags were able to adjust.

I think this was a good game for Chet. He showed that he has bought in to defense.
    'I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay… small acts of kindness and love.'
    - Gandalf the Grey

Foo Time

Brilliant individual play, team play not so much. Much to work on. Hickman for Straw stirred the drink, not sure how long that came after Straw ignored a teammate on a drive to the basket which he missed.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post
    Texas really turned up the Beard ball in the second half and it showed. They went after Holmgren because of his inexperience and he was hurting them on defense. The tactic kinda worked but Zags were able to adjust.

I think this was a good game for Chet. He showed that he has bought in to defense.
    Beard is Huggy 2.0, if he’s CBB’s poster coach the game is in trouble. He’s got more talented thugs than he had at Lubbock.

Great W for the Zags. Timme, Nembhard, Bolton and Hickman all had great games. Strawther was a bit disappointing overall; he had Bolton out in front of him on a fast break and instead of passing ahead for a layup he put his head down and tried to score himself. Few played Hickman over Strawther virtually the entire 2nd half. I won’t be surprised to see that trend continue w Hickman starting moving forward. He moves the ball better and Zags offense seems a bit more fluid with an extra PG out there.

The “great job not forcing any shots” compliments to Holmgren are odd to me…grasping at straws to find praise for a player who seemed to shrink from the spotlight too much imo. I don’t fault Holmgren just the sole focus of the offense being to feed Timme. It worked for sure but Zags have a long way to go on the offensive end.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post
    Great W for the Zags. Timme, Nembhard, Bolton and Hickman all had great games. Strawther was a bit disappointing overall; he had Bolton out in front of him on a fast break and instead of passing ahead for a layup he put his head down and tried to score himself. Few played Hickman over Strawther virtually the entire 2nd half. I won’t be surprised to see that trend continue w Hickman starting moving forward. He moves the ball better and Zags offense seems a bit more fluid with an extra PG out there.

The “great job not forcing any shots” compliments to Holmgren are odd to me…grasping at straws to find praise for a player who seemed to shrink from the spotlight too much imo. I don’t fault Holmgren just the sole focus of the offense being to feed Timme. It worked for sure but Zags have a long way to go on the offensive end.
    Totally agree, Flex. Both Straw and Chet were more than a bit disappointing. Otoh, Rasir and Hickman were revelations.

Quote Originally Posted by jazzdelmar View Post
    Beard is Huggy 2.0, if he’s CBB’s poster coach the game is in trouble. He’s got more talented thugs than he had at Lubbock.
    I wouldn’t call those players, “thugs.” It’s possible to play an aggressive, physical brand of basketball without playing dirty. I didn’t see anything that crossed that line in my mind. I didn’t see a lot of plays that were likely to produce injuries. I didn’t see a lack of sportsmanship, either.
    Gonzaga has defeated Baylor, Illinois, Virginia, Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, UCLA, Arizona, Creighton, Oklahoma, Florida State, Texas A&M, Oregon, Iowa, West Virginia, Auburn, USC, and Washington over just the past three seasons.

Quote Originally Posted by GonzagasaurusFlex View Post

Agree to an extent on Chet offensively but he was dominant defensively in the first half and we are clearly a lot better with him on the floor.

Not many top prospects would go somewhere for a one year situation with Timme in the picture. Chet will find his role offensively but it will take a little time against good teams because Timme is so good. But tonight Chet’s presence helped Timme a lot and opened up a ton of room for him. The counting stats will come—I agree we don’t need to make up praise about not shooting bad shots but Chet’s impact is very obvious on both ends even when he doesn’t get shot attempts.

A grade! Stick with what works, it wasn't that pretty but its a bottom line game.
    No pictures on the score card! As the other players feel their roll out, things will be a little more of a balanced attack on offense. Holmgren alterd so many shots last nite, just his presence on both ends of the court puts doubt and uncertainty into the opposition.

Great win!

Texas only going to improve every game.

They are crazy talented team, yet "too many cooks in the kitchen" right now.

They aren't totally comfortable playing Coach Beard's slower tempo offense, and high pressure D. It will come.

Nearly all of these guys were their former team's #1 option and/or star. Going to take time to accept lesser roles or different roles. While playing harder on defense than they're used to.

Once Disu returns from injury, watch out. He adds that size they lacking in the middle (their center was 6'7" to start)

If they get the Tre Mitchell kid going, they are a sure-fire Final 4 team to me. Got shooters, drivers, ball handlers, size, and scorers.

Coach Beard said Kennel Club is one of the best he's ever seen. Awesome.

That win will pay dividends. Texas will battle Kansas for Big 12 crown this year.

Zags have some interesting pieces and talent, yet we are pretty easy to guard if u body up Chet and find a way to limit Timme...double him early not late. Too smart for the late double. Force the decision early.

Zags have ONE 3pt threat. One. The rest I'd let shoot with not even a hand up. Their shots look forced or ugly. Losing Dom Harris big loss in this regard. Smooth stroke.

Rasir can be our Robin. That kid is exceeding expectations. He was hidden gem at Iowa St. Nice looking shot and picks his spots. Feel good about him.

Not playing Kaden Perry was an odd decision by Few. Also, finding more mins for Anton. I feel he's good enough defender to play some at 3 for a few mins. He's been at sub-20 both games.

As I've said several times, needs to be 25/game.

Too smart, nifty, hard nosed, & just makes things happen for us on defense. And cleans up things on offense. Missed some bunnies tho

Hickman needs more plays run for him and to be more aggressive. I see something there, someone who could really step up for us when called upon.

Sallis barely played. He looked rattled/scared to me. Was the right call, his eyes were wide, but hope Few doesn't give up on him in the rotationnas season progresses.

Strawther attempted dumb shots yet hit a 3 and played solid defense. Has good length at the wing. Needs to play stronger away from the ball and on rebs.

Nemby had a heckuva 1st half. Really made some amazing passes to Drew and hit some tough shots. Needs to work that mid range game more. Faded in 2nd half a bit as he hasn't fully figured out his leadership role yet. Played well but still looks a bit uncomfortable to me.

Chet was limited on offense. Made 1 shot. But his presence on defense can't be overlooked. Their guards had him on their mind all game. When they drove, they made sure he was on other side of rim, being picked, or out of the game.

Can't figure out why we didn't get the ball to him on the high post as we did Game 1? Coach Few wanted him on the perimeter or in the post. Prolly to clear the way for Timme, yet not fully utilizing his passing and dribble drive game.

Good practice vs better players for him, and played against some tough albeit much shorter dudes.

Can't be unhappy about the result, yet the process of getting there wasn't as balanced or pretty as I'd hoped...

Ball movement substandard, perimeter D below avg, 3pt shooting bad, stare at Timme, moving without the ball, a bit one dimensional for a typical Zag team/offense right now.

But we won.

And Texas will remain a Top 5 team all season.
    Last edited by Therunner; 11-14-2021 at 09:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kitzbuel View Post

I thought he was a very important factor on defense in the key....actually changed their offense.....

The same Duke that beat Campbell by 11?

As many predicted would be the case, Coach Few employed his patented 7-man rotation vs Texas.

Hickman and Watson got some run outside Starting 5.

Sallis was a 8th man yet only played 4 mins total.

Unfortunately, Perry didn't see a single minute.

Some will say that matchup, big game, or can't take out Timme or Nemby, yet Coach Few is a 7 man rotation guy, with an occasional 8th man playing spot mins. Been this way for two decades, esp last 5 or 6 years, even more tightened up vs Top 20 opponents.

Not bad or good, just is what it is.

For comparison, Texas had a legit 9 man rotation vs us. UCLA, Duke, et al are rolling with 8 to 9 as well.

I'm sure Perry will get some run in blowouts, Sallis here and there for foul trouble/rest, yet vs these top 10 teams. 7 man.

It was pretty clear to me that there was just a huge drop off in intensity in the second half while Texas doubled their intensity.

But yeah, Strawther not passing out of the 3 guys guarding him on the break just looked so odd in a GU uniform, that just never happens.

It wasn't all Timmie the first half, we had a lot of lay-ups off the halfcourt sets. Chet had a weird offensive game, sort of disappeared, but at least in the first half, just his mere presence kept Texas from wanting to be inside.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.
    Mark Twain.

Quote Originally Posted by IowaSERE View Post
    Paolo will be an issue and extremely tough cover. He could rack up fouls in a hurry on either Chet or Timme.

Texas didn't have anyone within 2 inches or 35 lbs of Banchero.

At home, no less!

The Zag defense was worse when Chet wasn’t in the game. Chet seems patient enough and hi slack of offensive touches didn’t seem to affect his play. Steawther, on the other hand, called his number a couple of times and took bad shots; if this is his tendency they might have to call a couple of plays for him to keep his head in the game. This game reminded me of the Morrison teams, as there was a lot of talent but they just let Timme go to work.

I wanted this game pretty bad and it’s amazing how much this reminded me of the TT game- his teams are uncanny at hacking and bodying up without getting called for fouls. I was shocked at one point to look up and we had more fouls than then in the second half. The game just didn’t look like that. The experience of this Texas team rattled the young guys, it seemed, and I was glad to have Bolton and Watson out there.

Speaking of Watson, he looked a lot more assertive out there. I though that dunk had no chance of going down but I’m glad he tried. He knew he would at least get fouled and it was a statement.

That time out by Beard at the end of the game that culminated in a lob dunk was bush league, in my opinion (I hope he didn’t actually draw up that play when the game didn’t matter, but it seemed to me like he did).

Yes. The same team who controlled a very good Kentucky team for 3/4 of their game and won comfortably.

We were lucky in the first half. Texas had wide open shooters just weren't hitting initially. We need to take better shots, Strawther had some bone head shots, Anton and Timme were shooting 3s sometimes early in the shot clock. Not saying Anton and Timme can't hit 3s but it's a low percentage for sure. I'm hoping this game boost confidence for some of the younger players and we see so e more fluidity the next cpl weeks. Rasir was awesome!
    America's Team!

Quote Originally Posted by DZ View Post
    It was pretty clear to me that there was just a huge drop off in intensity in the second half while Texas doubled their intensity.

But yeah, Strawther not passing out of the 3 guys guarding him on the break just looked so odd in a GU uniform, that just never happens.

It wasn't all Timmie the first half, we had a lot of lay-ups off the halfcourt sets. Chet had a weird offensive game, sort of disappeared, but at least in the first half, just his mere presence kept Texas from wanting to be inside.
    Texas was well aware of the outside threat that Chet has and as such him being out on perimeter required texas to cover him leaving space for TImme to work his foot magic….we will see other teams decide to go deep double early on Timme and Chet will have to respond
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Drew 7-9 from the stripe, will take that % all season. he put a bunch of fouls on Texas too and only got whistled for one (could have been a couple others I thought) and played 38 minutes with 7 rebounds and 4 TOs (not terrible considering he touched the ball on seemingly every trip except for early 2nd half when we went to Chet after Beard went after him defensively and physically). In such a dogfight 2nd half, I was surprised Kaden got zero run, thought Few would give him a taste of it. Maybe next time

I though that dunk had no chance of going down but I’m glad he tried. He knew he would at least get fouled and it was a statement.
    loved it, and the defender was slow to get up afterwards, he got plastered

That time out by Beard at the end of the game that culminated in a lob dunk was bush league, in my opinion (I hope he didn’t actually draw up that play when the game didn’t matter, but it seemed to me like he did).
    Agree, and reveals what he's thinking and right in line with his bully ball that needs officials' help. His brand of basketball need refs to help or the other team shoots FTs all night, but only 18 fouls against the tough Longhorns, LOL; Zags didn't even make the double bonus while Beard's D fouls on purpose!! So set up that late dunk to fuel the bully mentality he preaches. Seriously, how ugly was that 2nd half becasue of his ways? VERY ugly. Hook'em Horns, so tough but ONLY if you got the Man calling it for you. Fake alpha BS, so sick of it

Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    We were lucky in the first half. Texas had wide open shooters just weren't hitting initially. We need to take better shots, Strawther had some bone head shots, Anton and Timme were shooting 3s sometimes early in the shot clock. Not saying Anton and Timme can't hit 3s but it's a low percentage for sure. I'm hoping this game boost confidence for some of the younger players and we see so e more fluidity the next cpl weeks. Rasir was awesome!
    Umm Timme ONLY 3 point shot came within context of offense and the defender stayed in paint daring him to shoot
    Watson took 2-3 point shots when the ball landed in his hand with shot clock winding down…..both were in and out
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

Yes. The same team who controlled a very good Kentucky team for 3/4 of their game and won comfortably.
    tip of the cap on Rasir, you called it from jump man

Reading this thread, all I can say is we won’t beat anyone playing like that and only beating a top-5 opponent by 12.