Thread: Lady Zags head to Missoula - Bring on the Lady Griz

Default Lady Zags head to Missoula - Bring on the Lady Griz

The Lady Zags head to Missoula for a 1:00 PM game against the Lady Griz on Sunday. Note the change in game day, the game is on SUNDAY not the normal Saturday game day. The game will be televised regionally on SWX and will be live streamed on ESPN+.

Game Preview From GoZags:

WBB Travels to Montana This Sunday
    The game marks the first road game of the season for the Zags

-/RV Gonzaga (1-0, 0-0 WCC) vs. Montana (1-0)
    SUNDAY, NOV. 4 | 1 P.M. | DAHLBERG ARENA | MISSOULA
    TELEVISION: SWX/ESPN+
    LIVE VIDEO | LIVE STATS | 790 AM KJRB

THE TIP OFF
    - Gonzaga travels to Montana for the first road game of the season.
    - GU is currently on an eight game winning streak against the Griz and holds a 13-3 overall record against Montana.
    - The last game against UM was last season, when the Zags won 58-51 at home. The game was the only non-conference game of the season for Gonzaga.
    - The first game between the two was on Dec. 12, 1999, when Gonzga won 43-41 in Spokane.
    - Gonzaga is coming off a dominate 72-47 win over Montana State. Four Zags scored in double figures and senior Melody Kempton recorded her second double-double of her career.
    - Montana is the second of four Big Sky teams that the Bulldogs are playing this year. After this contest, the Zags will then go against the defending Big Sky Champion, Idaho State, next Thursday, Nov. 18. Rounding out Big Sky competition is a quick trip to Cheney to play against Eastern Washington University on December 21, also the last non-conference game of the season.
    - Gonzaga starts three of its four first games at home. The lone road game is Montana on Nov. 14 before the team travels to the Rainbow Wahine Tournament in Hawaii over Thanksgiving.
    - The Bulldogs will face six teams that were part of the 2021 NCAA Tournament, including defending National Champions, Stanford.
    - Last season, the Zags advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the fourth-straight year under head coach Lisa Fortier.
    - Gonzaga returns two starters and seven letterwinners from last season's squad that claimed the Zags' fifth consecutive West Coast Conference regular season title.
    -The Zags won their ninth WCC Tournament Title in 2021 with a thrilling victory over BYU in the championship game.
    - GU went undefeated last year at home with a perfect 9-0 record. Overall, the Zags have been undefeated at home since Feb. 16, 2019, with a 37-1 overall record in the last three seasons.

SCOUTING THE GRIZ:
    - Montana junior forward Carmen Gfeller has been named to the six-player Preseason All-Big Sky Conference women's basketball team.
    - The Montana women's basketball team, one of five programs in the league entering the season under a new coaching staff, was picked fifth in the Big Sky Conference preseason coaches' poll and seventh by the media.
    - Montana returns three starters, including senior forward Abby Anderson and junior forward Carmen Gfeller, both of whom earned third-team All-Big Sky honors last season.
    - Montana is coming off an 84-46 win over Northweset Nazarene. Sammy Fatkin led UM with 19 points in 23 minutes of play.
    - The Griz had one exhibition game against Rocky Mountain and won 60-56.
    - Brian Holsinger is the new head coach for UM this year. It is his first season as a head coach since 2007.
    Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/12/w...is-sunday.aspx

If you are interested in what the University of Montana Athletic Site says about Sundays game, you can read it here:

Link: https://gogriz.com/news/2021/11/12/w...on-sunday.aspx

First road game of the season.

Go Zags!!

ZagDad
    Last edited by ZagDad84; 11-13-2021 at 12:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ZagDad84 View Post

If you are interested in what the Montana State University Athletic Site says about Sundays game, you can read it here:

ZagDad
    I think that's Montana ZD, we just beat Montana State.

Quote Originally Posted by tummydoc View Post
    I think that's Montana ZD, we just beat Montana State.
    Hmmmmm.

Am I just a little slow due to my advanced age???

Did I intentionally make the mistake to see if anybody was reading???

Were once again, my fingers way out in front of my brain??

Nope. I am going to go with intentionally making the mistake to see if anybody is reading. Yup, that's the one. It gets lonely rattling around in here all by myself.

Thanks Tummydoc,

ZagDad

The other fingers in front of the brain: See game notes above, game is scheduled for Nov 4th.

Quote Originally Posted by Section 116 View Post
    The other fingers in front of the brain: See game notes above, game is scheduled for Nov 4th.
    Now that's not my fault.

I am perfectly capable of putting my foot in my mouth all by myself, but I refuse to take credit for other people's screw-ups.

Did we win??

ZagDad

I knew it wasn't your fault ZagDad, this was a bailout. I frequently put my foot in my mouth but I'm so old I don't care anymore!

Willing to give LF time to work out the problem, but today's allotment of playing time was questionable at best. The two best players on the team, who combined for 40 plus % of the scoring, the Troung twins, for reasons unknown, rarely saw the floor at the same time. Abby reminds me more each game of Louise F, in her lack of moves and unimaginative play. She should be limited to slot minutes relieving Melody. She's not equipped for playing either guard position. Can she even dribble left handed? Either Yvonne or Ana Maria need to play 30+ minutes a game (and it's not AV). Having Melody & AV on the floor together, since neither can pass and their shooting range is limited to two feet from the basket, is counter-productive.

A three guard lineup of CW, the Troungs, in combination with Yvonne & Melody, supplies mobility, fast break speed, shooting ability, and (maybe) acceptable rebounding. Defense & rebounding might be a problem, but we'll never know until the group is given a chance to play together. LF tried every other combination today and very few of them worked.

Gotta give the "Lady Grizz," credit for playing hard today in a physical game. The problem was they seemed pleased just to be playing the Zags close and getting a participation medal. A couple of players, at least, need to be be pissed at coming so close, playing in front of the home crowd, having the W within reach, and failing to grab it. Maybe it's just me, or is it women's Bball?

Quote Originally Posted by upan8th View Post
    Willing to give LF time to work out the problem, but today's allotment of playing time was questionable at best. The two best players on the team, who combined for 40 plus % of the scoring, the Troung twins, for reasons unknown, rarely saw the floor at the same time. Abby reminds me more each game of Louise F, in her lack of moves and unimaginative play. She should be limited to slot minutes relieving Melody. She's not equipped for playing either guard position. Can she even dribble left handed? Either Yvonne or Ana Maria need to play 30+ minutes a game (and it's not AV). Having Melody & AV on the floor together, since neither can pass and their shooting range is limited to two feet from the basket, is counter-productive.

A three guard lineup of CW, the Troungs, in combination with Yvonne & Melody, supplies mobility, fast break speed, shooting ability, and (maybe) acceptable rebounding. Defense & rebounding might be a problem, but we'll never know until the group is given a chance to play together. LF tried every other combination today and very few of them worked.

Gotta give the "Lady Grizz," credit for playing hard today in a physical game. The problem was they seemed pleased just to be playing the Zags close and getting a participation medal. A couple of players, at least, need to be be pissed at coming so close, playing in front of the home crowd, having the W within reach, and failing to grab it. Maybe it's just me, or is it women's Bball?
    I agree with you UP on the rotations. Even in the last 2 minutes, why were AV and MK in the game and Bree on the bench when Montana had to foul. You think your best foul shooter should be on the court. Obviously, I don't know what I am talking about.

Montana always plays the Lady Zags tough. I think it is the chip on their shoulder about the Lady Zags should have offered them. They deserve all the credit in the world for pushing the Zags once again.

Today was about poor defense by the Lady Zags. Three Grizzlies scored 52 of Montana's 60 points and shot 18 of 31 (that's 58.1%). Time after time, Gfeller (Colfax), Fatkkin (Snohomish) or Stiles (Montana) made lay-up after lay-up. Help defense was in short supply and nobody wanted to stop the dribbler. If this is the type of defense the front court is going to play this year, it scares the he** out of me when we play Stanford, WSU or BYU or any team with some really good guards.

It should not have been to difficult to determine who to guard and who to double team especially since Montana made one (Yep just 1) 3-point shot all day. You could have had Zags sag all day into the key to keep the Griz from making lay-ups, but it did not happen.

Players (outside of the Truongs) did not play well, and coaches definitely did not coach well today. Cierra had a better offensive day, but she was beat often on defense. AV was not great but she did have 6 points but more importantly 10 big rebounds. YE missed a couple of bunnies but ended up with 8 points and 9 rebounds. MK had only 5 points (3 on free throws) and only 2 rebounds. A Abbey once again was essentially a no-show with 2 points (on 1-5 shooting), 1 rebound, 2 assists and 1 steal in 31 minutes. We need a lot more production from our senior leadership as this year progresses. As Skip likes to say, it was a win (a "W") in an away game. Lots of things to learn from this game (both players and staff).

Travel safe and start to prepare for Idaho State on Thursday.

ZagDad

Wow! Rough crowd here. For what it's worth, I thought we started out terrible. The ball movement was poor and we seemed to be standing around. I did feel that we got over that for the most part fairly quickly. As far as the Truongs not playing together, recall that Kayleigh had 3 fouls in the first half which limited her somewhat. I actually like a lot of the substitutions today. We needed to get some different energy off the bench. As with the last game, I though Yvonne's play was strong. Bree looked better than the MSU game. I am confident she will continue to improve. I also though Mckayla looked a bit more comfortable today. I'm not as critical of the coaching as the rest of you, but I do respect your opinions.

Stanford is going to be a real test of this team. And very likely a good learning experience.

Third game of the season… and yes an ugly win in some respects. But if you want to look on the half full side… first road game against a team that wanted to win and played like it.That made for some good learning.

Defense isn’t there yet and I’m sure that will be a priority this week. And it will be a short week with another game on Thursday.

This week is back to the Kennel and hopefully playing in front of a lot of fans.

Plan on a number of games that don’t look good…. We are in the learning and growing phase with a lot of players gaining experience.

Go Zags!!

Coach Fortier historically is not one who believes in "a lot of players gaining experience." How? By practicing, but not playing in games? She's always been more of the "been there, done that" school of coaching. That's okay. In the past, it's worked well for her. A majority of coaches, if a poll were taken, would subscribe to the same philosophy. Experience is gold.

But, then, why is she not starting both the Troungs (each w/two years experience), along side Melody(three years in the program), and Cierra (four years of college play)? Why is Yvonne coming off the bench (after last year's stellar finish)?
    Harsh, & I'm sorry, but AV, & AO (despite their experience), playing a majority of the time, cannot be the face of this team. If they are, they're doomed. It's equivalent to starting Arsluaskas & Graves on the men's side because they've "got a ton of experience". The best players gotta play, some sage once said.

I'm afraid, with this coaching staff, it's going to take a loss to a team GU is expected to crush to effect a mindset change. And even that might not be enough.

Coach Fortier historically is not one who believes in "a lot of players gaining experience." How? By practicing, but not playing in games? She's always been more of the "been there, done that" school of coaching. That's okay. In the past, it's worked well for her. A majority of coaches, if a poll were taken, would subscribe to the same philosophy. Experience is gold.

But, then, why is she not starting both the Troungs (each w/two years experience), along side Melody(three years in the program), and Cierra (four years of college play)? Why is Yvonne coming off the bench (after last year's stellar finish)?
    Harsh, & I'm sorry, but AV, & AO (despite their experience), playing a majority of the time, cannot be the face of this team. If they are, they're doomed. It's equivalent to starting Arsluaskas & Graves on the men's side because they've "got a ton of experience". The best players gotta play, some sage once said.

I'm afraid, with this coaching staff, it's going to take a loss to a team GU is expected to crush to effect a mindset change. And even that might not be enough.
    Basketball is a game of matchups. Today, 3 players took it to the Lady Zags and CLF refused to change her scheme to adjust to the players with the hot hand. Change the defensive scheme, change the players or who the players are matching up against, play zone. Lay-up after lay-up was made by the UM Grizzlies. There is a reason Gfeller, Fatkkin, and Stiles shot 58% for the game and the entire Montana team made only 1 3-point shot (they did not need to take any, we gave them the lane). Should have been easy enough to keep those 3 players, or at least 2 of them, from beating you. Letting the same 3 players beat you over and over again for four quarters is simply not acceptable. I don't see how anybody learned anything except 3 of the best players on the floor had an "M" on their jersey.

At the end of the game when Montana had to foul, why were two of the worst free throw shooters on the team (historically) on the floor when one of the best free throw shooters was sitting on the bench. What was CLF trying to prove?

CLF has the record to justify the benefit of the doubt, but today she and the team did little to instill much confidence. Have a long way to go before Thursday and certainly before Saturday. Let's hope CLF and the team make the best use of their time.

ZagDad

I guess the question is… what were the coaches wanting to get out of this game? What are the coaches wanting to accomplish out of the OOC? I know they are playing one game at a time but what are their seasonal goals?
    I know some are questioning who’s starting… and minutes played. I look at the stats every game before commenting… sometimes they tell a different story.
    Did the refs have an impact in this game? We got called 4 or 5 times for start up traveling by 3 different players questioning the call. We were called 3 times for moving screens again being questioned. Do you figure that into the game?
    Are the coaches in mid season game form? ZD brought up 2 good points at the end. Both could be game changers.

These are all early season questions…. Hopefully in a few weeks we have a few questions answered.

Now for Idaho State….

Go Zags!!

Here are some post game summaries of the Lady Zag vs Montana Game.

From GoZags:

WBB Takes Down Montana on the Road, 67-60
    The Zags scored 31 points from the bench

Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/14/w...oad-67-60.aspx

From the Slipper Still Fits"

Zags push through rough shooting afternoon in win over Montana
    Kaylynne Truong came up with 15 big points off the bench.

Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...n-over-montana

From the University of Montana Athletic Department:

Bulldogs hold on, win 67-60

Link: https://gogriz.com/news/2021/11/14/w...win-67-60.aspx

From the Spokesman-Review:

Gonzaga women continue string of games against Big Sky opponents at Montana

Link: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...s-against-big/

ZagDad

I agree, Ejim is completely undervalued, she should be getting much more floor time, regardless of who the other 4 are. She could be and SHOULD BE the face of the program for the next 3 years.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say there is a reason that GU WBB has been as successful as it has…. And its because of a very good coaching staff….
    What we have seen over the years is a very large rotation… most players in the rotation are getting +/- 20 minutes a game. And by the end of the game, there is still fuel in the tank. By the end of the season there is still strength in the legs.
    YE is a good player and will get better with time… but she is one of many on this team. GU WBB has always played as a team…
    YE has been averaging around 20 minutes a game off the bench continuing the level of play of the team on the court…. In her 20 minutes a game she is scoring and rebounding well but also averaging 4 fouls… she has had to spend time on the bench because of that…
    You will see improvement with this team because they are young and and lacking in D-1 experience.

Go Zags!!

Councilor Skip, allow me present a case for the other side (you knew this was coming).

Nobody is going to argue the historical success of CLF and her coaching staff in the OOC games and conference games. Her 79.2% winning percentage overall and 84.8% winning performance in the conference games plus winning 6 out of 7 regular season WCC championships. certainly shows her level of competency in these parts of the season. Where she can be taken to task is in her staff and teams performance in the WCC tournament (50% successful, 3-6) and the NCAA tournament. While the Zag Mbb have lived up to and many times exceeded their seeding, the Lady Zag Wbb team has, all to frequently, failed to live up to their seeding.

The one time I can remember CLF giving a freshman a lot of playing time was Laura Stockton and we all remember the disjointedness of that team. Georgia Stirton and LS never seemed to be on the same page. With this experience under her belt, one can see why CLF would be hesitant to give lots of minutes to a freshman. One wonders if Emma had not gotten hurt, how much playing time would, perhaps the best offensive Lady Zag ever, Jill Barta, would have gotten as a redshirt freshman.

That being said, CLF's success has worked with recruits that are outside of the Top-100. The new recruits get experience from the juniors and seniors while on the bench and be prepared when they get their chance during game time. With CLF's recent success in recruiting, some of the recruits are inside the Top-100 and in the case of the BS, the Top-45. These are players which "may" already have skills which far exceed the skills of some of the juniors and seniors. All they are lacking is some game experience at the D-1 level. With the advent of the transfer protocol and with there no longer being a need to sit out a year, highly rated recruits are not going to sit on the pine waiting their turn. UConn just lost one of their highly recruited guards this week because she saw that her playing time was going to be very limited at UConn. As Mark Few has had to change his coaching style to accommodate the addition of his one-an-dones, CLF will likely need to change her philosophy on when to play her highly rated recruits or they simply won't stay with the Lady Zags.

For a basketball coach, the end game is how many wins does a coach get, how many championships do you win, how far do you go in March. Yes, the influence coaches have over the impressionable young men and women is very important and part of the overall Gonzaga experience, but the end game is CLF and her staff are basketball coaches and it is their success on the court by which they must be measured.

In the last game against Montana, with the game still very much in doubt, do you really think AO and AV gave the Lady Zags the best chance to win? Yes MK had fouled out at this time, but with 4 minutes to go, are AV and AO the best players to have on the court to bring home the victory? Do they give you the best chance to win? Did you look at their stats for the game? AV had a good rebounding game, but that requires Montana to miss. Offensively AV was relatively forgettable and AO was simply not present. Watch the highlights on Twitter or Facebook, and several times AO drives to the lane, has a wide open 10' (or less) jumper that she gives up to pass to the wing. Yes a long 3 is better than a short 2 if you make it, but you can't say a long 3 was a better shot than the wide open short jumper. If AO is going to continue to not take the wide open shots (and continues to miss them when she does), we need to put somebody on the court who will take those wide open shots, take the ball to the hoop to break up zone or to force a double team. With under 5 minutes to go and the result of the game in doubt, you need your best 5 players on the court, and I don't think they were in the Montana game.

Sitting in my very comfortable Monday Morning Recliner with the game on the line, I think it is absurd that AO played the most minutes (32) and AV had the third most minutes (25) in this game with the result still in doubt. If these two players are going to be top 3 in minutes, as Upand8th says, the Lady Zags are in trouble. IMO based on how they played that day, both Truongs should have been on the court, BS should have been in at the #3 and YE should have been in at the #4. I can see leaving in AV as a key/rim defender, as long as the Lady Zags play a zone. IF they go to man-to-man- AV should have been taken out as she was beat time after time on the dribble drive and she did not get the blocks from behind that she did against CWU.

The Lady Zags need YE, BS, and even MW and EH to have break out seasons if the Lady Zags are going to contend for the WCC title. Simply put, I do not see AO and AV elevating this Lady Zag team to the next level. We are not going to get there with AO and AV playing 25-32 minutes a game. If there is any hope to make the NCAA tournament, every game counts and playing "chicken" with a team like Montana is not going to get us there. IMO.

As far as having fresh legs come March, if you don't win the games in November and December, it won't matter how fresh your legs are come March.

ZagDad

Love it…

I’m going to give the players a little more time before getting on them….

I look at a player and their role. AV looked much better in this game and while I agree that the lanes for Montana where wide open, she was going for the block rather than body contact and she did have 3 blocks in the game. She also fouled only twice. Give her time… she was a spot player last year.
    I agree AO shouldn’t have been in for 32 minutes… and it showed. AO had a good game against MSU… not so much against Montana. But that happens as you know to all players. We will she how she does this week.

And I’m going to give Montana more credit than a few are… they came to play and were excited to have 3000 in the stands.

As for YE… she got her forth foul with about six and half minutes remaining and thirty seconds later she should have been called for her fifth.
    We had 20 fouls called against the team with MK fouling out and YE and K-11 both with 4. That”s three of our best players that were fighting fouls.

This was the third game of the season and while a number think we should have taken them by 20…. I going to say the coaches are looking at the big picture and giving the players the time they need to develop. It is also giving them a chance to see how they are doing.

If you want to at least give the defending champions a game… you need all these players getting court time and a chance for the coaches to see what the players need to improve.

And I agree that to play in the dance you have to play every game to win…. Maybe not by 20 but to win.

ZD… lets do this again at the end of the OOC…. Unless you want to rebut

Go Zags!!

My Turn,

Montana always plays the Lady Zags tough, this year, last year, etc. Sunday was not a one off, Montana just gets under Gonzaga's skin. As I said above, I think those ladies playing for the Grizzlies keep a chip on their shoulder that they weren't offered by Gonzaga and take great pride in showing the Lady Zags why they should have been given the opportunity to play for Gonzaga every time we play. My objection to Sunday's game was we did not make Montana have to work very hard to hang with us. The roads to the hoop were left open all game long and Montana just had to hit the lay-ups, which they did. Give Montana all the credit in the world for realizing the flaw in the Zags defense and taking advantage of it over and over (and over) again. A big raspberry to CLF and staff for not realizing the issue and the problem Montana players and a second raspberry for not fixing the defensive lapses during the game.

Both AV and AO are 5th (6th?) year seniors, how much time do they need to develop? They do not need to be brought up to speed, they should be ready to go. They need to be producing from the tip, after an exhibition game and 2 OOC games. It is the younger players that need to get the experience. I think there needs to be some changes made at the #3. Neither MK or AV is a big offensive producer from the #4/#5 so why not move AO there and let's get a more offensive player at the #3. Maybe let BS, MW or CW (maybe even K-14) play the #3. JT played the #2 at times last year, there should be no reason CW or K-14 could not slide into the #3 spot at times. When Portland and BYU come out with their 4-guard offense, AO is going to be of little use at the #3. CW is certainly fit enough to handle the physicality of the #3. We absolutely need more production from the #3 and AO, at least so far this year (and last year), has not provided it. Let's think outside the box, if CLF absolutely wants to play AO.

I don't have a real issue with AV. Her skill level is what it is and she brings something almost nobody else on the team does, which is height. My issue is in how you use her. You simply cannot play a man-to-man defense with AV because she will be beat off the dribble every time. Camp her in the middle of the key and challenge anybody who comes into the key. Make them shoot over 6'5 with long arms. Moving her out to the top of the key, IMO, is wasting her one major advantage and turning the advantage over to the opposition. As long as you use her correctly, AV (and possibly Maud) can be very useful and certainly a change-up from the other ladies who would play the #5 for the Zags. Just don't play her that many minutes and don't use her in a manner which she is not capable of helping the team. AO simply does not seem comfortable at the 3. Maybe consider playing her at the #4 (where she played at Loyola-Chicago) or maybe the #5 in lieu of AV. At least she can shoot the 3 (somewhat) and draw some of the opposition's bigs out of the key. Maybe let BS, MW or CW play the #3. We absolutely need more production from the #3 and AO, at least so far this year (and last year), has not provided it.

How many fouls did YE and K-11 come home with? What is 4, Alex (for you Jeopardy fans). Earlier in the game, you can get into foul trouble which will limit your time on the court. However, when you get to 5 minutes to go with the game on the line, your best players need to be in the game, foul trouble or not. Coming home with an extra foul to give does not give you any benefit next game.

Big game on Thursday, let's hope that CLF has addressed the defensive issues the Lady Zags had on Sunday.

ZagDad

Interesting things out of Missoula.

Former Montana women's basketball coach Shannon Schweyen sues school for sexual discrimination
    Associated Press

MISSOULA, Mont. -- Former Montana women's basketball coach Shannon Schweyen has sued the university in federal court, alleging she was the victim of sexual discrimination during her employment and when her contract was not renewed.

Her lawsuit, filed Friday in Missoula, alleges she received a lesser base salary than the men's basketball coach who was hired at the same time she was, even though she had more coaching experience.

Schweyen's lawsuit also alleges she was told her contract wasn't renewed after the 2019-20 season because two players entered the NCAA transfer portal, which meant they were seeking to play elsewhere. The lawsuit states the men's basketball and football teams also had players leave via the transfer portal and those coaches weren't fired.

The lawsuit alleges the university violated federal employment discrimination laws.

"UM disagrees with the allegations in the complaint. UM will defend the allegations in the appropriate forum," school spokesman Dave Kuntz said in a statement.

In early March 2020, athletic director Kent Haslam told Schweyen they were going to renew her contract for two more years, but he changed his mind with the only reason given being that two players entered the transfer portal, the lawsuit states.

Haslam "exuded hostility" toward Schweyen from her first conversation about her first coaching contract, the complaint states. Her first three-year contract paid a base salary of $130,000 while the men's basketball coach, hired two months earlier, had a base salary of $155,000 -- nearly 20% more than Schweyen was paid.

Over the four years that Schweyen coached the Montana women, the men's team had a total of 15 players in the transfer portal, but the men's coach was not fired, the lawsuit states. Another three men's basketball players left the team during the 2020-21 season, and the coach remains employed at the school, the lawsuit states.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-...discrimination

ZagDad