Thread: WBB Opens Regular Season Against Montana State on Thursday

Default WBB Opens Regular Season Against Montana State on Thursday

From GoZags:

WBB Opens Regular Season Against Montana State on Thursday
    The team is coming off a 78-42 exhibition win over Central Washington

-/RV Gonzaga (0-0, 0-0 WCC) vs. Montana State (1-0)
    THURSDAY, NOV. 11 | 6 P.M. | McCARTHEY ATHLETIC CENTER | SPOKANE
    TELEVISION: WCCSports.com
    LIVE VIDEO | LIVE STATS | 790 AM KJRB

THE TIP OFF
    - Gonzaga opens the 2021-22 regular season hosting Montana State on Thursday, Nov. 11 at 6 p.m.
    - The Zags have a history of cruising in their season-opening exhibitions. Gonzaga has an average margin of victory of 55 points in exhibition wins over the past three games.
    - In last year's regular season opener, the Zags went against No. 1 South Carolina at the Bad Boy Mowers Crossover Classic in South Dakota. The Zags fell 79-72 as Gonzaga finished with three players in double-figures, led by Jenn Wirth with 16 points off 7-of-9 from the floor to go along with four rebounds. Jill Townsend added 15 points, three rebounds and a career-high seven assists while Cierra Walker added 13 points off 4-of-6 from long range in her Gonzaga debut.
    - In the last five years, the Zags are 3-2 in season openers. When they have won, the average margin of victory is 33.3 points.
    - The Zags haven't lost a home opener since Nov. 25, 2003, when they fell to No. 24 Oregon, 73-57.
    - Montana State is the first our four Big Sky teams that the Bulldogs are playing this year. After this contest, GU goes on the road to take on the University of Montana on Sunday, Nov. 14 at 1 p.m. The Zags will then go against the defending Big Sky Champion, Idaho State, next Thursday, Nov. 18.
    - The Bulldogs will face six teams that were part of the 2021 NCAA Tournament, including defending National Champions, Stanford.
    - Last season, the Zags advanced to the NCAA Tournament for the fourth-straight year under head coach Lisa Fortier.
    - Gonzaga returns two starters and seven letterwinners from last season's squad that claimed the Zags' fifth consecutive West Coast Conference regular season title.
    -The Zags won their ninth WCC Tournament Title in 2021 with a thrilling victory over BYU in the championship game.
    - GU went undefeated last year at home with a perfect 9-0 record. Overall, the Zags have been undefeated at home since Feb. 16, 2019, with a 37-1 overall record in the last three seasons.

SCOUTING THE BOBCATS:
    - The Bobcats return four starters from last year's squad that went 17-7 overall and 13-3 in Big Sky Conference action.
    - MSU is guided by junior point-guard Darian White, who led the Cats in scoring, rebounding, assists and steals last winter.
    - Reigning Big Sky Conference Defensive Player of the Year and Montana State standout Darian White is one of six players named to the preseason all-conference team.
    - The All-Big Sky Conference First-Team pick was recently selected to the league's preseason all-conference squad. As a team, MSU was tabbed to finish second in both the coaches and media polls.
    - Aside from White, other returning letterwinners include Ashley Van Sickle, Ava Ranson, Leia Beattie, Madison Jackson, Lexi Deden, Taylor Janssen, Katelynn Limardo, Gabby Mocchi, Kola Bad Bear and Kenzie Stumne.
    - In all, Binford welcomes back 11 letterwinners and three newcomers – Mia Hughes, Casey Ardern and Lindsey Hein.
    - The Bobcats are coming off a 69-60 win over Carroll College on Tuesday, Nov. 9. Montana State's Katelynn Limardo and Lindsey Hein both came off the bench to record 16 points and seven rebounds.

HOME SEASON-OPENING SUCCESS:
    - The Zags haven't lost a home opener since Nov. 25, 2003, when they fell to No. 24 Oregon, 73-57.
    - At last year's home opener, Gonzaga hosted the University of Montana and won 58-51. The game marked the only home non-conference game of the year due to the abbreviated season because of COVID-19.
    - Against Montana in the season home opener last year, Gonzaga shot 31.1 percent from the floor and 27.8 percent from long range—their lowest percentages of the young season—while edging the Griz on the glass 40-36. The Bulldogs forced 19 turnovers on Montana (1-2), scoring 17 points off those turnovers. Gonzaga held Montana to 39.2 percent shooting from the floor and 17.6 percent from three.
    Link: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/10/w...-uCF4P53pmB6o4

So Lady Zag fans, does CLF have the same starting line-up tomorrow as she did against CWU?

ZagDad

From Montana State Bobcats Athletic Site:

Cats Open 2021-22 Road Slate at Gonzaga
    Montana State opens its 2021-22 road slate at Gonzaga on Thursday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. (MT) in the McCarthey Center in Spokane, Wash

WHO: Montana State at Gonzaga
    WHEN: Thursday, November 11, 2021 at 7 p.m. (MT)
    WHERE: Spokane, Wash. - McCarthey Athletic Center
    RECORDS: Montana State 1-0, 0-0; Gonzaga 0-0, 0-0
    SERIES: Montana State leads series 11-10 (1982)
    LAST MTG: Dec. 5, 2020 - #18 Gonzaga 70, Montana St. 55

RADIO: Live on 1450 KMMS AM with Mark Martello on the call; pregame begins 15-minutes prior to opening tip.
    VIDEO: Montana State's game at Gonzaga on Thursday night can be seen live at wccsports.com
    STATS: Live statistics can be accessed at msubobcats.com; running play-by-play and boxscore are available

ROAD OPENER: Montana State opens its 2021-22 road slate at Gonzaga on Thursday, Nov. 11 at 7 p.m. (MT) in the McCarthey Center in Spokane, Wash. Last season, the Zags posted a 23-4 overall mark and a 16-1 ledger in West Coast Conference play. The Bulldogs won the WCC title with a 43-42 victory over BYU. Gonzaga fell to No. 12 seed Belmont 64-59 in the first-round of the NCAA Tournament. GU has made four straight NCAA tournament appearances under head coach Lisa Fortier. Its game against the Bobcats will be the season-opener for the Zags. Gonzaga has not lost a home opener since losing to No. 24 Oregon, 73-57, on Nov. 25, 2003. The Bulldogs return two starters from last year's squad in Kayleigh Truong (6.0 ppg/3.6 rpg) and Cierra Walker (6.5 ppg/2.2 rpg).

BOBCAT BITES: The Bobcats are coming off a 69-60 win over Carroll College on Tuesday afternoon in Worthington Arena. Katelynn Limardo and Lindsey Hein each came off the bench to record 16 points and seven rebounds. The Montana State bench outscored the Saints 40-9. Also in double-digit for MSU was Darian White with 11 points. White, a 5-6 junior point-guard from Boise, Idaho, was the 2021 Big Sky Conference Defensive Player of the Year and a First-Team All-Big Sky performer, as well. This fall, White was named to the 2021-22 Preseason All-Big Sky team. The Bobcats outrebounded Carroll College 43-36 as Hein, Limardo and Lexi Deden all pulled down seven boards. MSU went five-of-13 from long distance and converted 10-of-11 free throws. Montana State returns 11 letter winners and four starters from last year's squad that went 17-7 overall and 13-3 in Big Sky action.
    Link: https://msubobcats.com/news/2021/11/...t-gonzaga.aspx

ZagDad

From Spokesman-Review:

‘We’ve been waiting for so long’: Gonzaga women ready for lively atmosphere in opener against Montana State
    By Jim Allen
    jima@spokesman.com
    (509) 459-5437

This is why Cierra Walker and Yvonne Ejim came to Gonzaga in the first place.

Finally, on Thursday night, both players will get the full Kennel experience when the Zags open the regular season against Montana State.

Two years ago, Walker was sitting out after transferring from Vanderbilt.

Ejim was a high school senior in Calgary, Alberta.

Then came COVID-19, and the cheering stopped before either player put on a GU uniform.

“We’ve been waiting for so long,” Ejim said before practice Tuesday. “It was fun seeing everyone out there – that’s what I really missed.”

The Zags drew about 1,000 fans for FanFest. Three weeks later, the players returned to the locker room following warm-ups against Central Washington. Coach Lisa Fortier could hear the chatter.

“They were saying that there were a lot more people than at FanFest,” Fortier said.

Everything will ratchet up further Thursday night – the competition, the crowd and the adrenaline.

“This is going to be a super-good experience for us,” Walker said.

The Zags lost several key players off last year’s 24-3 squad but should be solid favorites against the Bobcats.

MSU returns four starters from last year’s squad that went 17-7 overall and 13-3 in the Big Sky Conference.
    You can read the rest of the article here: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...-women-ready-/

ZagDad

Just tuned in. Streaming is good quality. Zags up 24-11 thru Q1.

37-19 Zags at the half. Ejim looks great!

56-29 thru Q3.

Several starters are not productive. Why isn't Ejim starting? And why did she barely play in Q3?

Streaming went haywire in mop up time. I had to quit after if froze for the third time in about a minute.

Zags D is way ahead of their O. Stifled Montana St. The Truongs, Kempton and Ejim looked good, not much scoring from anybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by seacatfan View Post
    Streaming went haywire in mop up time. I had to quit after if froze for the third time in about a minute.

Zags D is way ahead of their O. Stifled Montana St. The Truongs, Kempton and Ejim looked good, not much scoring from anybody else.
    - ditto your observations
    - was hoping for more from mckayla and bree. both looked rather underwhelming with the minutes they received.
    - offense did have some nice fast break baskets.

I will give a full run down tomorrow.

A couple of things to keep in mind.

- 3/5's of the starting line-up is new. Offense is bound to be off-on as they start to find their rhythm.
    - CLF did what she normally does at times and refuses to leave the line-up alone, changing things every couple of minutes, not giving the players time to find their rhythm.
    - Bree found out today that she is not bigger, faster, stronger, etc. than most of the players on the other team. Found out D-1 is not HS ball. Give her time to adjust, she has the skills.
    - Don't just look at scoring, Abbey had 8 rebounds and McKayla played great defense, interrupting things when she was in the game. Both benefitted the team.

While most WBB players show the largest improvement between their freshman and sophomore years, that does not necessarily apply to the guards and wings at Gonzaga. I think CLF beats down the guards and wings for taking a shot (earlier in the shot clock) when another pass could have lead to an easier shot. When a player gets to their Junior year at Gonzaga, they seem to realize that CLF is not going to pull them for taking an open shot. The Truongs are the latest iterations of this philosophy. There is no hesitation on open 3s, they are playing their free-form game that they feel comfortable with and Gonzaga is going to benefit from. K-14 was the best 3-point shooter on the team last year, she just did not take very many. Give her the minutes and the freedom to shoot and you might be surprised what happens.

ZagDad

Quote Originally Posted by GonzaGAW View Post
    - was hoping for more from mckayla and bree. both looked rather underwhelming with the minutes they received.
    Very first real college game for both, I'm willing to give them some benefit of the doubt.

edit--Bree did have 4 reb (3 O boards), 3 assists and a block, so she was definitely doing some positive things.

edit X2--oops, I was thinking Williams redshirted, but I see she saw limited action last season

I often watch the women when they're on the road, Tonight, I couldn't make the game so watched the telecast on WCC. The telecast went fine, I had no freezes or loss of picture, but the person keeping track of the game score was probably the worst I've ever seen handling that duty. I've noticed over the years, whoever is in charge of putting up the score in the black band at the bottom of the screen can vary widely in talent from place to place. I don't know if was Gonzaga, Stadium, or WCC in charge of that easy task tonight They would miss posting scores for either team, and sometimes for both of them, for long periods of time. Literally minutes would go by before the score caught up with the reality of the game. Whoever did the duty tonight should never be allowed to ever again be assigned to that duty. It was pretty much a rout, but if it were a close game, you'd like to know the actual score, second by second, not an update five baskets later.

- i definitely have not given up on bree and mckayla after one game
    - and yes i did think mckayla played good defense.

Here are some of the game summary write-ups by a variety of sources:

From the Slipper Still Fits Link: https://www.slipperstillfits.com/202...-72-47-victory

From Bozeman Daily Chronicle Link: https://www.bozemandailychronicle.co...57b987144.html

From the Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...e-kennel-with/

Pictures from the Spokesman-Review: https://www.spokesman.com/galleries/...e-nov-11-2021/

From the Montana State Bobcats Athletic Site: https://msubobcats.com/news/2021/11/...at-kennel.aspx

From GoZags: https://gozags.com/news/2021/11/11/w...-the-year.aspx

ZagDad

Fun seeing GU WBB back in the Kennel…

I think we are going to be okay…. As has been said, GU WBB just reloads…

The starting unit will not be as strong as last year but I think the rotation and depth will be stronger.

We will need the OOC schedule to get comfortable… and experienced… with each other.

We have from last years team two starters two rotation players and a spot player starting…. I’m thinking they need to learn from last year, that AV didn’t get enough time on the court and will need it in the OOC… and hopefully make sure the bench finds time.

The Twins… are what I was hoping for…
    The seniors… relax and have fun…
    The rotation… could be the key to winning…

Outlook?…. Time will tell with how they grow. Lots of game knowledge on this team… will see how quickly they come together.

Go Zags!!