Results 1 to 23 of 23

Thread: What have we learned about PT thus far?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,255

    Default What have we learned about PT thus far?

    What do we think these games suggest about how playing time will be distributed? It’s early, real early but that said, I think we may be seeing something different than the past. I think we will see 10 players regularly get minutes. I think Kaden and Ben will get more than spot minutes (but not a whole lot unless there is injury or serious foul trouble) against most opponents. Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    2,327

    Default

    The rotation will tighten up as it always does. You will have a main eight man rotation that is made up of Timme, Holmgren, Strawther, Bolton, Nembhard, Watson, Sallis, and Hickman. There will be spot minutes for Perry depending on situations and I don't see Gregg playing much more than mop up or emergency minutes. Harris is the wildcard, if he can get healthy, but I have no idea on his prognosis.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,255

    Default

    What do you mean by “spot” minutes? Ben and Kaden ad 6 and 8 minutes last night. Do you think it will regularly be less than that in conference play?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    905

    Default

    Coach Michaelson coached our 1st 3 games.

    His use of players and rotating starters etc will likely be quite different than Coach Few.

    I agree we will probably see more players from time to time, yet Few in his 22nd year at Gonzaga. We've had talented rosters in the past yet he isn't changing his ways.

    It will be a dedicated 7, maybe 8 man rotation by Xmas at the latest. He's experimented with some freshman in the past. See Dom and Julian last year. Then, he goes with his 7 man group, and the rest will be spot mins for foul issues, blowouts, etc.

    Obviously players like Sallis and Perry need and warrant mins yet likely short lived unless they leap frog others in rotation.

    Coach Few an incredible coach, very little to critique, and the only ones I've come up with in recent years are 1. Early timeouts if/when getting beaten bad early, and 2. Over playing starters throughout the season. Keeping starting lineups in when up 30 with 3 mins remaining, while claiming metrics in post game interviews. Gotta play these guys and hope he continues what B Mike has last 3 games

    But I have my doubts

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    12,775

    Default

    I believe Sallis with get significant minutes. You need to listen to the interview with Coach Few....I also believe that Perry or Gregg will get more than mop up minutes. I see a 9 man rotation. Few is open to change. He's pretty smart.

    Go Zags!!!
    Go Zags!!! The Best Is Yet To Come!!!

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    South Hill
    Posts
    839

    Default

    Turnovers and shooting will impact minutes from game-to-game. Keep the hot hand in, rotate out the guy trying to do too much.

    Watson is demanding minutes with his defense. The only thing that will curb that will be turnovers when trying to score inside.

    I love how Hickman plays with a type of contempt when someone can't guard him. He's insulted that the defensive player is going to try to hang with him when they both know he can't. We need players like this to put away teams that GU sometimes let hang around after getting a good lead. Bolton has this too. This means PT in WCC play.

    Whoever figures out the 'Ayayi back cut' move first when Holmgren and and Timme are facing up at the top of the key will be guaranteed 10 mins and 10 points a game. It's impossible to guard.
    Ihre Papiere bitte

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Greenville, North Carolina
    Posts
    1,174

    Default

    How long is Dom projected to be out for? We could use another quality guard.
    "There is always some kid who may be seeing me for the first time. I owe him my best."--Joe DiMaggio

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Therunner View Post
    His use of players and rotating starters etc will likely be quite different than Coach Few.
    I doubt this is the case; no way Michaelson is deviating from a set plan for the rotation laid out by Few, especially with Texas looming.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CarolinaZagFan View Post
    How long is Dom projected to be out for? We could use another quality guard.
    I think the conventional wisdom is he'd be back by conference play

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, Wa.
    Posts
    1,297

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The rotation will tighten up as it always does. You will have a main eight man rotation that is made up of Timme, Holmgren, Strawther, Bolton, Nembhard, Watson, Sallis, and Hickman. There will be spot minutes for Perry depending on situations and I don't see Gregg playing much more than mop up or emergency minutes. Harris is the wildcard, if he can get healthy, but I have no idea on his prognosis.
    - my hunch is your 8 man rotation is probably correct
    - yet my BOLD prediction this year is coach few breaks his mold and has a 9 man rotation (10 minutes or more)

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Edgewood, WA
    Posts
    1,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by strikenowhere View Post
    I doubt this is the case; no way Michaelson is deviating from a set plan for the rotation laid out by Few, especially with Texas looming.
    I agree. The rotation plan against Dixie State was to go deep into the bench and it would have been the same with or without Few.

    Last season we ran 9 and 10 man rotations against Northwestern State in our first two cupcake games. In the first meeting we had 10 players get 10 minutes or more. In the second game we had 9 guys get 9 minutes or more. Those games, with Few, ran a deeper rotation than the game last night against Dixie State that had 8 guys at 10+, 8 guys at 9+.

    Right now the rotation is:

    PG Nembhard
    PG Bolton
    SF Strawther
    PF Holmgren
    C Timme

    Reserve Big = Anton Watson
    Reserve PG = Hickman
    Reserve Wing = Sallis

    Ballo Role (early minutes to see if he can develop) = Perry

    Very little chance to see a meaningful minute this season = Gregg, Lang, Alrauskas, Graves

    Wildcard = Dom

    On Saturday it will be that 8 man rotation. If there is foul trouble on a couple of the bigs, Perry gets 7 to 10 minutes. Gregg isn't ready to take minutes from Perry, let alone Holmgren or Timme in a big game. The real competition now is how the minutes will be distributed amongst the eight man rotation in meaningful games.

    Does Watson bring enough to take (additional) minutes from either Timme or Holmgren?
    Is Hickman good enough to take minutes from Andrew or Rasir?
    Is Sallis good enough to take minutes from Strawther?

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Imo I think Watson will see significant minutes. He's so disruptive on D. Him and Holmgrem together is fun to watch. I'm hoping Timme can keep his man I'm front of him. It will be interesting to see what we throw @ Texas. Will it throw the team off to have Few coaching his first game on this scale?
    America's Team!

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    1,408

    Default

    Whole lot of new players and players that didn't see a whole lot of minutes last year. Of course I expected Chet to be out there as one of our best players but I wanted to see with regard to everyone else.

    -Bolton seems like a much needed steady hand and a great shooter. He's been starting and I think he's there to say
    -Strawther looks great and will get big minutes
    -I'm excited by what I see from all these players, if not for this year for future seasons in some cases. This season? I'd be in the gym getting up as many three pointers as I can. Think the 8 man rotations posted here seem to be about right, but being able to come off the bench and hit some 3s might be a way to sneak in.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1,365

    Default

    I'm not sure how I feel about who deserves more minutes between Gregg and Perry. Perry is a front of the rim player who has the ability to play through people in CLOSE. But he doesn't have the finesse, ball handling or outside shot that Gregg does. I suspect that it will be situational as to what's needed. But Gregg is definitely a more versatile player on offense than Perry at this point. I haven't really focused on their defensive capability too much at this point. Long term, I give the slight edge to Gregg I guess.

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Spokane, WA
    Posts
    1,668

    Default

    Perry and Gregg are completely different players and I believe will get similar minutes throughout the year and will be situational based off the tempo of the game.
    America's Team!

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by HenneZag View Post
    Imo I think Watson will see significant minutes. He's so disruptive on D. Him and Holmgrem together is fun to watch. I'm hoping Timme can keep his man I'm front of him. It will be interesting to see what we throw @ Texas. Will it throw the team off to have Few coaching his first game on this scale?
    Watson is going to play his way into WCC DPOY. He was very disruptive last night. He and other Zags can afford to be opportunistic on defense when Chet is in the game, providing rim protection.

  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Vulture View Post
    The rotation will tighten up as it always does. You will have a main eight man rotation that is made up of Timme, Holmgren, Strawther, Bolton, Nembhard, Watson, Sallis, and Hickman. There will be spot minutes for Perry depending on situations and I don't see Gregg playing much more than mop up or emergency minutes. Harris is the wildcard, if he can get healthy, but I have no idea on his prognosis.
    Precisely this.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,654

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Watson is going to play his way into WCC DPOY. He was very disruptive last night. He and other Zags can afford to be opportunistic on defense when Chet is in the game, providing rim protection.
    He’ll have to compete with Chet for that title.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Lacrosse, Washington
    Posts
    8,141

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TexasZagFan View Post
    Watson is going to play his way into WCC DPOY. He was very disruptive last night. He and other Zags can afford to be opportunistic on defense when Chet is in the game, providing rim protection.
    competing for this against Chet so far

    but also will compete for WCC six man award
    Basketball...The Toy Department of Life

    Don't mess wth happy...Coach Few

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Irving, TX
    Posts
    10,660

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ZagsObserver View Post
    He’ll have to compete with Chet for that title.
    I concur with that assessment, awfully hard to beat a teammate who's going to average 3-4 blocks a game...probably more during conference play.

    This team looks to be saltier on defense than last year's team, no disrespect to them.

  21. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    3,832

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I agree. The rotation plan against Dixie State was to go deep into the bench and it would have been the same with or without Few.

    Last season we ran 9 and 10 man rotations against Northwestern State in our first two cupcake games. In the first meeting we had 10 players get 10 minutes or more. In the second game we had 9 guys get 9 minutes or more. Those games, with Few, ran a deeper rotation than the game last night against Dixie State that had 8 guys at 10+, 8 guys at 9+.

    Right now the rotation is:

    PG Nembhard
    PG Bolton
    SF Strawther
    PF Holmgren
    C Timme

    Reserve Big = Anton Watson
    Reserve PG = Hickman
    Reserve Wing = Sallis

    Ballo Role (early minutes to see if he can develop) = Perry

    Very little chance to see a meaningful minute this season = Gregg, Lang, Alrauskas, Graves

    Wildcard = Dom

    On Saturday it will be that 8 man rotation. If there is foul trouble on a couple of the bigs, Perry gets 7 to 10 minutes. Gregg isn't ready to take minutes from Perry, let alone Holmgren or Timme in a big game. The real competition now is how the minutes will be distributed amongst the eight man rotation in meaningful games.

    Does Watson bring enough to take (additional) minutes from either Timme or Holmgren?
    Is Hickman good enough to take minutes from Andrew or Rasir?
    Is Sallis good enough to take minutes from Strawther?
    Spot on!

    I do think Perry’s physicality and intensity is an ‘x’ factor that may earn him more minutes. Love Gregg and think he’s gonna be a total stud but right now tbis team needs an enforcer post D guy more than more offense.
    Even though I care a lot about my basketball opinions, they are like comparing a bicycle to a championship motorcycle who is our coach. . ZagsGoZags

  22. #22
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Posts
    2,700

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mgadfly View Post
    I agree. The rotation plan against Dixie State was to go deep into the bench and it would have been the same with or without Few.

    Last season we ran 9 and 10 man rotations against Northwestern State in our first two cupcake games. In the first meeting we had 10 players get 10 minutes or more. In the second game we had 9 guys get 9 minutes or more. Those games, with Few, ran a deeper rotation than the game last night against Dixie State that had 8 guys at 10+, 8 guys at 9+.

    Right now the rotation is:

    PG Nembhard
    PG Bolton
    SF Strawther
    PF Holmgren
    C Timme

    Reserve Big = Anton Watson
    Reserve PG = Hickman
    Reserve Wing = Sallis

    Ballo Role (early minutes to see if he can develop) = Perry

    Very little chance to see a meaningful minute this season = Gregg, Lang, Alrauskas, Graves

    Wildcard = Dom

    On Saturday it will be that 8 man rotation. If there is foul trouble on a couple of the bigs, Perry gets 7 to 10 minutes. Gregg isn't ready to take minutes from Perry, let alone Holmgren or Timme in a big game. The real competition now is how the minutes will be distributed amongst the eight man rotation in meaningful games.

    Does Watson bring enough to take (additional) minutes from either Timme or Holmgren?
    Is Hickman good enough to take minutes from Andrew or Rasir?
    Is Sallis good enough to take minutes from Strawther?

    Nailed it.

  23. #23
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Posts
    1,924

    Default

    I actually think he's going to tighten the rotation earlier because this group is so young and needs time on the court. Last year you could be up by 30 by halftime and the starting team doesn't need more time together on the court on easier games. This team needs more on court time to develop on a team level, and nothing beats experience like experience.
    Krozman
    GU student 1996-2000
    Law Student 2000-2003

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •